Bakersfield, CA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 770 Old 10-21-2004, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bakersfield has two cable providers, Bright House Networks and Cox. Currently BHN offers the following HD programming:
HBO 1 HD
HBO 2 HD
Show 1 HD
Show 2 HD
Discovery HD
ESPN HD
NBC HD
ABC HD
InHD 1
InHD 2
HDNet
HDNet Movies
TNT HD

Cox currently offers:
HBO HD
Show HD
Discovery HD
ESPN HD
ABC HD
InHD 1
InHD 2

For OTA HD options locally:
KGET NBC 17.1
KBAK CBS 29.1
KERO ABC 10.1
KUVI UPN 55.1
KMPH Fox 26.1 (KMPH is still a couple of months away from HD broadcasts.
Their tower is roughly 90 miles from Bakersfield and
reception will be based on the antenna you use.)

The local CBS affiliate KBAK has not granted either BHN or Cox permission to retransmit their signal so the only way to receive CBS HD programming is OTA. Hopefully when KMPH Fox is up and running our cable companies will be able to retransmit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 770 Old 10-22-2004, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
An interesting fly in this ointment:

Bakersfield does have its own Fox affiliate - KBFX-LP 58. It is owned and operated by Pappas, the same folks who own Fresno's KMPH. KBFX-LP, as the call letters suggest, is a "low power" station which will not be offering digital transmission any time soon.

It'll be interesting if Pappas/KMPH will allow the local cable systems in Bakersfield to pass KMPH-DT when it starts carrying HD programming. I don't know if KBFX is anything more than an LP repeater of KMPH, but it likely carries Bakersfield advertising.
post #3 of 770 Old 10-22-2004, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

That is an interesting point. I have been fortunate enought that I can pick up the KMPH signal OTA with my indoor antenna. It would be nice if they let the local affiliate pass the HD signal along.
post #4 of 770 Old 10-23-2004, 01:32 PM

Just a quick question, I live in the 93312 zip code in Bakersfield CA. I haven't been receiving KMPH-DT but I really want to see the World Series in HD. Any suggestions on the best antenna to try and get it with. Where are you guys located who actually get this channel?
post #5 of 770 Old 10-23-2004, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

KMPH 26 Fox does not broadcast any programming in HD currently. I was told they are in the process of upgrading their equipment and should be up and running in a couple of months (Hopefully by the Super Bowl). The only HD option for the World Series is possibly satellite. I receive the standard KMPH signal with a Terk-5 indoor antenna. I am in the 93312 area also, on Old Town Rd just west of Old Farm Rd.
post #6 of 770 Old 11-01-2004, 10:42 AM

This is an email I received from the KMPH engineer.

Low Power stations conversion to DT (which allows for HD), is a subject that is finally being addressed by the FCC. Initially the FCC was not going to grant DT replacement channels for LPs. Now they will but they are still working out the details.

Jim Boston
Chief Engineer
KMPH/KFRE

This after I had emailed the emgineer at KBAK when the OTA signal went out.

We apologize for your lack of HDTV. It is our highest prioirity right now to fix. Last week we had a failure with a module used in microwaving the TV signal from our station to the transmitter on Mt. Breckenridge. We are hoping to receive the replacement part by Thu or Fri and be back to normal by next week. This affects other operational things at our sation as well, but the biggest is our HD. Bare with us.

As far as FOX, all those decisions come out Fresno with KMPH. They provide the programs, networking, TV signals and such. I know it is on their agenda but I do not know the timetable. The phone number to call is 324-2600. The Chief Engineer there is named Jim Boston, his assistant is named Carleton Simmons, hopefully they can help you.
Good luck. And once again I am very sorry about the HD.

Pete Capra

My biggest issue currently is the strength of the KBAK signal. I live in Rio Bravo and sometimes the signal drops to about a 50. Do any of you use a booster on your antenna?
post #7 of 770 Old 11-01-2004, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Off the subject. I have been looking for some Kay-Halbert Tv made in Culver City in the 50's. If you have any info please Pm me. G.B.
post #8 of 770 Old 11-01-2004, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am just using a simple TERK 5 amplified indoor antenna and a Zenith Silver Sensor in my bedroom and my signal strength with KBAK has not been a problem.
post #9 of 770 Old 11-02-2004, 07:10 AM

I may have to amplify my signal too. The other stations come in at around 90-95 and KBAK is normally around 70. My issue is when it drops to between 35 & 50. I'm not sure what causes that, but by looking up the stations I have discovered that KBAK is at 110 kW versus the 135 kW at KGET & 250 kW at KUVI. KERO is listed at 4.6KW in test mode, so I think the information is inccorrect.

I have a Terk 5 that I used when I lived on Round Mountain Rd. I may have to break it out again.
post #10 of 770 Old 11-14-2004, 04:15 PM

Any Bright House customers that have successfully had a cable card installed? I had a tech come out last week but he was unable to activate it. It did not appear that he was very knowledgeable. Thanks.
post #11 of 770 Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
BTW, don't hold your breath on the digital conversion of KBFX-LP (FOX).

As the KMPH engineer noted in the E-Mail quoted above, the FCC is just now getting around to addressing the digital conversion issues for LPTV stations. That likely means that even if Pappas/KMPH/KBFX-LP is itching to go digital on 58, you won't likely see it for a couple of years or so. Your best bet is likely picking up the existing KMPH-DT signal out of Fresno, and waiting for THEIR conversion to HDTV - probably by the Super Bowl, I'd say.

What you have going for you in B'field - KMPH and KMPH-DT are licensed to Visalia, in the southern end of the Fresno market. (Heck, even their co-owned KMPH-FM is licensed to Hanford, also in that part of the market.) It sounds like you folks in B'field have no problem picking up that signal.
post #12 of 770 Old 11-18-2004, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Below is a quote taken from todays Fresno Bee:

Clear picture: KMPH, Channel 26, general manager Charlie Pfaff says that if everything goes as planned, the local Fox affiliate will broadcast in high definition by the end of the month.
post #13 of 770 Old 11-24-2004, 05:37 AM
mgh

I have had no luck pulling in the local fox digital signal ota. I've tried different antennas. I wish that Bright House and FOX and CBS would get over whatever the hold up is and meet the needs of their customers. Both of these networks are low on my priority list for viewing because of this issue.

The good news is that I'm really enjoying the HD DVR that Bright House provides.
post #14 of 770 Old 11-24-2004, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

According to antennaweb.org, KBFX-58 is broadcasting analog only and no digital signal.
post #15 of 770 Old 11-25-2004, 06:31 AM
mgh

I defer to your knowledge on the matter. Once in an email a person from Fox indicated that I should be able to get their digital signal. My receiver has in the past tried to pull in channel 28. Is that the KMPH signal from the Visalia area? I live in the 93313 zip. I've also had issues with channel 29's signal, but I'm only using a rabbit ear setup right now.
post #16 of 770 Old 11-25-2004, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, 28 is KMPH in Visalia. KBAK 29's signal has been pretty consistent but there was a time this fall they had some equipment problems and their HD signal was out for about two weeks.
post #17 of 770 Old 11-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just wanted to let you Bakersfield people know that I live in Exeter,Ca. It is about 65 miles north of Bakersfield and I receive all your digital stations perfectly with no drop outs or breakups. I have a large Channel Master
vhf/uhf antenna with a rotor and amplifier. So your stations must be broadcasting at full power.
Tom DiCecco

Thomas DiCecco
post #18 of 770 Old 11-27-2004, 10:58 AM

I am happy to finally report success with Bright House and an SA cable card with a Sony KDF-55WF655 TV. The CC was a version 2.3.148S2 OS with a build date of Tue Oct 19 2004. Now here's the kicker...it took 40 minutes after the CC was inserted until the MAC address and host ID showed. The tech stated that a Sharp took 5 minutes and a couple of Mitsubishi's that he had done were in the 10 minute range. Just glad to have it working!
post #19 of 770 Old 12-06-2004, 07:25 PM
mgh

Just wondering if they're going to be hd by the time the Super Bowl
rolls around. I don't have any way to get it anyway. Bright House and Kmph & CBS get over yourselves and do the digital!
post #20 of 770 Old 12-07-2004, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mgh
Bright House and Kmph & CBS get over yourselves and do the digital!

When I lived on Round Mountain Rd the station that fought me on getting a waiver was channel 29. That was back when they were ABC. They also are still mono on their SD station and seem to be the slowest to spend money on their transmitter. They have the lowest power in the area and the worst signal.

There, I feel better now.
post #21 of 770 Old 12-10-2004, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

According to the Fresno thread on this forum, KMPH should be broadcasting in HD any day now.
post #22 of 770 Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM
mgh

that's what they always say on the Voom forum.....
post #23 of 770 Old 12-12-2004, 06:07 PM

I'll be moving into a new house in the 93312 area (meacham and jewetta) next month and am currently mulling over my HD options. I would appreciate any and all input and suggestions regarding which carrier to go with (Directv, Dish, or Brighthouse) and if you feel a Silver Sensor would be sufficient or if a roof-mount will be necessary.

Thanks,
Mike
post #24 of 770 Old 12-12-2004, 07:20 PM
mgh

Bright House offers 2 local networks,(ABC & NBC). No CBS, no Fox. They also offer INHD 1&2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNTHD, ESPNHD, and Discovery HD. They occasionally have Fox Sports Network programming and PPV HD.

I decided to try VOOM for a few months while they had their free installation offer. They have quite a few exclusive channels in HD, but they aren't necessarily to everyone's taste. They don't have INHD or HDNet, but they do have TNT, ESPN, and Discovery all in HD. They also carry Universal HD (formerly Bravo HD). If you order the premium movie channels, you get more HD than Bright House has. In addition to HBO & Showtime, they also have Starz, Encore, Cinemax, and The Movie Channel in HD. They will also attach an antenna for local HD but it doesn't do that well on the CBS station. If you don't want the premium channels then Voom might not have more to offer than Bright House unless you like their exclusives.

I decided not to try DISH or Directv because their offerings seem relatively limited right now. Future satellite launches may enable them to expand greatly.

I'm hoping that Bright House carries CBS and Fox in HD soon, but.....
post #25 of 770 Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 AM

I went with DirecTV due to the sports they carry. NFL Sunday ticket in HD is nice. Normally there is hockey on HD Net also. I have a powered Terk antenna attached to the dish. It picks up all the locals with the occasional problems with CBS. The HD Tivo box combines them all into the guide nicely. Current HD offerings are ESPN, Universal HD, HD Net, HD Net movies and Discovery. The only premium HD are HBO & Showtime East. We don't subscribe so it doesn't bother me but it would be nice if they carried the West feeds. Seems we watch more network HD then anything else.
post #26 of 770 Old 12-14-2004, 10:06 AM

Thanks, guys. I think I am going to try Brighthouse and see how that works out. They quoted me around $58 for their HD package with an SA8300 box. I'll try a Silver Sensor to pick up any OTA that may be available.

Mike
post #27 of 770 Old 12-24-2004, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

It seems KMPH Fox 26-1 is now broadcasting in HD. I look forward to todays NFL game. I am picking up with a Silver Sensor antenna and also a Terk 5.

PS-The game looked great in HD!
post #28 of 770 Old 01-10-2005, 06:05 PM

I have been assuming all along that I could get the SA8300 box from Brighthouse and simply use a Silver Sensor to pick up CBS and FOX. What I failed to realize is that the SA8300 does NOT have an OTA input. So it looks like I will have to get an LG-4200A to pick up my OTA channels. Are any of you currently in my situation or are you using a satellite STB with OTA inputs?

Mike
post #29 of 770 Old 01-10-2005, 06:13 PM
mgh

I had purchased the stb ota tuner before anything else (Samsung 151). I recently ordered and received the Zenith silver sensor antenna. I am able to receive KMPH 26 out of the north, but the reception isn't rock solid. It was also necessary to attach an amplifier. I have my fingers crossed that the Super Bowl will be OK. Sunday's game was mostly ok.

mgh
post #30 of 770 Old 01-10-2005, 06:16 PM
mgh

We should really bug Bright House to make some deals with Fox and CBS. Other parts of the country have a full array of hdtv channels with BHN as the provider. Why not us?

mgh
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page