post #181 of 372 Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2under View Post

Regarding their plans for HD?

Maybe they are waiting for the going out of business sale.

48WNTZ is another example of poor station management decisions, just like all the Alexandria stations.

What is ridiculous is that they call themselves Natchez/Alexandria which would be like a station in Shreveport calling themselves Shreveport/Alexandria.

The best Fox HD signal in Cenla now comes from Fox 14 KARD Monroe with a 2 megawatt signal from their tower in Columbia, Louisiana.

They came on a few days before the LSU championship game last month.
We can pick them up in Marksville either with an outdoor antenna or a well positioned pair of rabbit ears.

Their PQ is superior to that of Fox 15 KADN Lafayette.
Fox 15 Lafayette has had a lot of problems switching on the HD lately including during the Super Bowl Pre Game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 372 Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomaster View Post

In Marksville, now receiving 95% signal strength from 3 KATC Lafayette.

Fox 15 KADN Lafayette has now started "local HD" as well.

Also, did anyone else notice Monday that 5KALB forgot to air NBC Nightly News in HD?

I have Directv and cannot get fox hd. the only way i can receive fox is through a small bowtie indoor antenna which is only SD and very crappy. I can get the NBC HD and CBS over the air. I live in alexandria right off Jackson street extension and would love to know if anyone else in my situation can get FOX in HD, and how they are doing it. I put in a waiver for long distant locals and only received cbs in hd so far. I want FOX HD!!!
post #183 of 372 Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 AM

I also have Directv and have requested a waiver from Fox48 to allow me to receive East/West coast Fox from DTV. Have not gotten response but don't anticipate a favorable result.
post #184 of 372 Old 02-13-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also have Directv and have requested a waiver from Fox48 to allow me to receive East/West coast Fox from DTV. Have not gotten response but don't anticipate a favorable result.

and dont expect one. I spoke to Sharon Rachal yesterday, the vice president of fox 48 here in alex, and she explained she cant even give herself a waiver. The gentleman i spoke with at fox in new york told me we would have to get the local station to agree to let us get a distant local fox from them, which would be in HD. Sharon did tell me that they were in the process of getting FOX HD. they are waiting for equipment and she said somewhere hopefully around May they would have it running. they will have to have it up by next year anyway. lol
post #185 of 372 Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

I have Directv and cannot get fox hd. the only way i can receive fox is through a small bowtie indoor antenna which is only SD and very crappy. I can get the NBC HD and CBS over the air. I live in alexandria right off Jackson street extension and would love to know if anyone else in my situation can get FOX in HD, and how they are doing it. I put in a waiver for long distant locals and only received cbs in hd so far. I want FOX HD!!!

In Marksville with an outdoor antenna, one can easily get Fox HD on both 14 KARD Monroe and Fox 15 KADN Lafayette.

For rabbit ears and lesser antennas, they need to be pointed well, it helps if you can place it as high as possible in the room.

Try pointing towards Fox 14s tower in Columbia, LA. If you are picking up 10 KLFY CBS in Lafayette, you should also be able to receive Fox 15 KADN.
post #186 of 372 Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In Marksville with an outdoor antenna, one can easily get Fox HD on both 14 KARD Monroe and Fox 15 KADN Lafayette.

For rabbit ears and lesser antennas, they need to be pointed well, it helps if you can place it as high as possible in the room.

Try pointing towards Fox 14s tower in Columbia, LA. If you are picking up 10 KLFY CBS in Lafayette, you should also be able to receive Fox 15 KADN.

what kind of outdoor antenna do u have?
post #187 of 372 Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 PM

My temporary antenna situation is this:

Before hurricane Rita I unfurled this VHF/UHF antenna in the attic and it expanded to a size larger than the Voyager 1 spacecraft and was to gangly and unwieldy to move. So I set it in a sweet spot pointed towards the Lafayette stations to receive the following HD stations with strong signal strength:
3 KATC ABC HD--strongest DTV signal we receive in Marksville
10 KLFY CBS HD
15 KADN FOX HD
15.2 KLAF SD
24.1,24.3,24.5 LPB/PBS HD

When CW 50 in New Iberia does their flash cut in a year people here can expect to receive them as they have a strong analog signal here.

I use a good set of rabbit ears to receive the Alexandria stations so I don't have to turn that beast in the attic.
I have never picked up 31 KLAX's SD signal.
I can easily receive 5 KALB, 48 WNTZ SD, and LPB's DTV 25.

I can also get a solid signal from Fox 14 KARD Monroe with the rabbit ears, but they must be pointed precisely. Same thing for 33 WVLA NBC Baton Rouge.

In the coming weeks in conjunction with a house landscape project, we'll be installing a new outdoor antenna. I want the best set up possible with a tower so high, it'll need red lights and guy wires.

Because Marksville is in a "super rural" area between cities with numerous DTV signals expected to come on in the next year and some of them in the UPPER VHF band like 9 WAFB, 10KLFY, 7 KPLC, & 8KNOE, I'll want the Channel Master model with both maximum UHF and upper VHF ranges.

No station in Louisiana will be in the lower VHF band of channels (2-6) in a year.
post #188 of 372 Old 02-21-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My temporary antenna situation is this:

Before hurricane Rita I unfurled this VHF/UHF antenna in the attic and it expanded to a size larger than the Voyager 1 spacecraft and was to gangly and unwieldy to move. So I set it in a sweet spot pointed towards the Lafayette stations to receive the following HD stations with strong signal strength:
3 KATC ABC HD--strongest DTV signal we receive in Marksville
10 KLFY CBS HD
15 KADN FOX HD
15.2 KLAF SD
24.1,24.3,24.5 LPB/PBS HD

When CW 50 in New Iberia does their flash cut in a year people here can expect to receive them as they have a strong analog signal here.

I use a good set of rabbit ears to receive the Alexandria stations so I don't have to turn that beast in the attic.
I have never picked up 31 KLAX's SD signal.
I can easily receive 5 KALB, 48 WNTZ SD, and LPB's DTV 25.

I can also get a solid signal from Fox 14 KARD Monroe with the rabbit ears, but they must be pointed precisely. Same thing for 33 WVLA NBC Baton Rouge.

In the coming weeks in conjunction with a house landscape project, we'll be installing a new outdoor antenna. I want the best set up possible with a tower so high, it'll need red lights and guy wires.

Because Marksville is in a "super rural" area between cities with numerous DTV signals expected to come on in the next year and some of them in the UPPER VHF band like 9 WAFB, 10KLFY, 7 KPLC, & 8KNOE, I'll want the Channel Master model with both maximum UHF and upper VHF ranges.

No station in Louisiana will be in the lower VHF band of channels (2-6) in a year.

i get 88-95% strength on NBC
the same on CBS
cant see the strength on FOX,CW,or some of the other SD channels
but this was all on that little bowtie looking cheap antenna i got from a guy i know. Im sure i could get some better reception with a nice outdoor or attic antenna, i just want to get FOX in HD for the baseball games. thanks again
post #189 of 372 Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 AM

I live in Pineville off of Steely road between 107 and 28. I am using a Channel Master CM 4228 antenna with a preamp and rotor. I have to turn the antenna to a specific spot to get out of town stations. I can pick up Lafayette's ABC and FOX in HD. The FOX station will drop out with bad weather at times but I can usually receive it 90% of the time. CBS from Lafayette is harder for me to get. Usually 40% of the time I can receive it. My antenna is mounted on a J pole that is mounted to the dish. I need to get it over my roof line to pick up better. I just haven't taken the time to erect a pole.
post #190 of 372 Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK318 View Post

I live in Pineville off of Steely road between 107 and 28. I am using a Channel Master CM 4228 antenna with a preamp and rotor. I have to turn the antenna to a specific spot to get out of town stations. I can pick up Lafayette's ABC and FOX in HD. The FOX station will drop out with bad weather at times but I can usually receive it 90% of the time. CBS from Lafayette is harder for me to get. Usually 40% of the time I can receive it. My antenna is mounted on a J pole that is mounted to the dish. I need to get it over my roof line to pick up better. I just haven't taken the time to erect a pole.

basically I could just get this antenna and run coax to the tv and pick up HD channels correct? Im not understanding about the 75ohm downlead?
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=ANC4228
post #191 of 372 Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 AM

You will need a preamp also if looking for Lafayette. 75 ohm downlead = coax cable - 300 ohm downlead = flat twinlead wire. For coax I would use rg6 not rg59, rg6 has less loss. You may also want to check out Warren Electronics. When I ordered mine they were cheaper.
post #192 of 372 Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

basically I could just get this antenna and run coax to the tv and pick up HD channels correct? Im not understanding about the 75ohm downlead?
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=ANC4228

Actually, if you really just want to pick up FOX HD; I'm sure if you got rid of the bowtie and got a good pair of rabbit ears, you would be able to pick up Fox 14 KARD Monroe.

Reading your post, in Alexandria you should receive 5KALB and 25 LPB at about 100% signal strength. As many might tell you around this forum, the bowties just don't work well.

Point towards Columbia, LA where their tower is located. Because Marksville is further South than Alexandria, you should have a better signal for Fox 14 than we do in Marksville.

Fox 15 KADN Lafayette has a subchannel on 15.2 that acts as a parasite on the Fox HD. The other issue with that station is that it's owned by ComCorp that doesn't have a lot of resources and makes cheap management decisions.

FOX 15 KADN has so much more paid programming than about any other TV station I've ever seen. When they are not airing Fox HD, they have little to offer. At least Fox 14 KARD Monroe has real programming and not wall to wall infomercials.
post #193 of 372 Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 AM

I got a postcard today from DirecTV with the results of my waiver requests for out of area network affiliates. I already had CBS and PBS. No surprise that KALB (5 NBC ) and KLAX (3 ABC ) declined my request, but a huge surprise that FOX 48 GRANTED my waiver request.
post #194 of 372 Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got a postcard today from DirecTV with the results of my waiver requests for out of area network affiliates. I already had CBS and PBS. No surprise that KALB (5 NBC ) and KLAX (3 ABC ) declined my request, but a huge surprise that FOX 48 GRANTED my waiver request.

and where do you live? i dont see how you would get fox and i didnt?
post #195 of 372 Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Anyone know when or if Dishnetwork will ever put the Alexandria locals up on a spot beam?
post #196 of 372 Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 AM

I don't think Alex local will ever happen. You should be able to pick them up with a decent outdoor antenna. You can pick up digital tv signals reliably for 55 to 65 miles.
post #197 of 372 Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 PM

Well that just sucks. I do have the antenna that Dish provided free when they had to drop distant locals and I can pick up KALB in the evening most nights. Did pick up several Lafayette stations on Sunday evening but that is a rarity. It was so nice I had ...

But now I am back to just 5.1 and 5.2

I wonder what make Alexandria and Lake Charles not worthy of being placed on one of the sats.
post #198 of 372 Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 AM

Ok,I live in Winnfield,La and can someone tell me what the BEST OTA antenna there is on the market.I was thinking about the CM 4228 or the DB8.I think the are both bowtie antennas.I will be installing it on a 60' tower and I live on top of a hill so that should be good.As of right now I only have a OTA antenna I got from walmart on a 20' pole and I catch the follwing>>>

KALB 5-not hd
KNOE-HD 8.1
KNOE-CW HD 8.2
KARD-HD 14.1
LPB 25.1
LPB 25.3
LPB 25.5
ABC 31-not hd

I figure with the BEST antenna I will be able to get alot of HD channels being I live between 2 cities.SO what is the best OTA antenna??
Thanks for the help
post #199 of 372 Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 AM

Between what Suddenlink has added to their HD package and the problems with OTA reception where I am in Alex, I just can't consider either satellite provider as a viable option any more. Obviously, YMMV.
post #200 of 372 Old 07-03-2008, 05:33 AM

Deadaim57
Check out the link below. I know a lot of the info is hard for a novice to understand but there is a lot of good info in there. I use a CM4228 with a CM pre amp.

http://www.geocities.com/toddemslie/UHF-TV-DX.html
post #201 of 372 Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM

I hope that the new owners of KALB, Hoak Broadcasting will consider changing 5.2 to NBC's Weather Plus, especially now that NBC has bought Weather Channel and will be merging it with their Weather Plus. Sure would be great to have in hurricane season!

Good news for Cenla NBC HD, as in 7 months KPLC Lake Charles will go full power with their signal, and they've even applied for an increase from the FCC.

They have Weather Plus on 7.2 and 33 WVLA Baton Rouge has is on 33.2.

KPLC Lake Charles even rebroadcasts overnight NBC programming like Tonight Show in HD.
post #202 of 372 Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Fox 48 WNTZ has switched from a 480 SD signal to 1080i HD, but they have yet to broadcast anything in 16X9.

KADN Fox 15 Lafayette also switched to a 1080i signal, but they switch to 720p for Fox HD.

My wild guess is that this is in advance of their regional Fox News La programs going HD.

It would be nice if their cluster of automated stations could figure out how to work their equipment before football season.
post #203 of 372 Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Update:
Fox 15KADN is now back to 720p 24/7.

Fox 48 WNTZ, even though they now broadcast a 1080i signal have not yet shown one program in HD.

Thanks Comcrap.
post #204 of 372 Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 PM

Anybody trying to watch the Florida-Tenn game on 5.2 today(9/20/08)? The picture is so pixelated from the compression it is almost unwatchable at times. The SD channel 10 on cable looks better.

Does anyone know if Suddenlink has HD broadcast stations(QAM) in the clear and on what packages? I know I get nothing on my package which is the lowest level (only chan 2-13).
post #205 of 372 Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merekm View Post

Anybody trying to watch the Florida-Tenn game on 5.2 today(9/20/08)? The picture is so pixelated from the compression it is almost unwatchable at times. The SD channel 10 on cable looks better.

Does anyone know if Suddenlink has HD broadcast stations(QAM) in the clear and on what packages? I know I get nothing on my package which is the lowest level (only chan 2-13).

If you get the next Suddenlink cable package (extended basic I think is what it's called), you will get KALB NBC & CBS, KLFY CBS in Lafayette, PBS, and all the music channels. KLFY's HD is MUCH better than KALB's HD which is really a joke. I really hate not having ABC or FOX in HD locally, and my wife won't let me install an antenna outside.
post #206 of 372 Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Just noticed channel 705 on Suddenlink is labeled WNTZ HD, so looks like we gonna finally get Fox in HD. Nothing playing on it at the moment, but I'm not really concerned until Sundays for Saints games.
post #207 of 372 Old 10-04-2008, 07:58 PM

I just noticed it today. Its up and running and looks better then channel 9 on Suddenlink. Its not HD, but its 9pm on saturday. Football is tomorrow and I think they show the Washingtion-Philly game at 12:00. I Hope its in HD. I may watch some playoff baseball now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y22kc View Post

Just noticed channel 705 on Suddenlink is labeled WNTZ HD, so looks like we gonna finally get Fox in HD. Nothing playing on it at the moment, but I'm not really concerned until Sundays for Saints games.

post #208 of 372 Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM

Well the game has started and it is NOT in HD. The SD looks better then the regular fox channel 9, but I would rather watch the game in HD.
post #209 of 372 Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM

They just went real HD and it looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolowar View Post

Well the game has started and it is NOT in HD. The SD looks better then the regular fox channel 9, but I would rather watch the game in HD.

post #210 of 372 Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolowar View Post

They just went real HD and it looks good

Now it's back to SD. WNTZ is a freaking joke as well is KALB cbs.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page