Chico, CA - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2651 Old 07-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cmassa

I live in Redding and also have DirecTV. Tried to get waivers through DirecTV for the Chico NBC and CBS stations and after a few days they said the stations wouldn't grant them.

I was able to get FoxHD NY before Dec 2004 and was grandfathered in but now they won't let me switch to FoxHD LA.

I was wondering how you got the HD waivers and was it after Dec 2004?

Chas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2651 Old 07-25-2005, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

I got my waivers within the last 3-4 months. Don't go through Directv. I got a card from them saying all had been denied even after I had two of them approved. You need to contact the stations directly, request waivers be sent to you and then send them to Directv yourself (fax to the HD department). Make sure you are specific about wanting High Definition waivers because they will deny standard definition waivers. If you need, I think I can come up with the people I contacted and PM you with it.

Chris
post #33 of 2651 Old 07-27-2005, 04:35 PM

camassa

I would appreciate it if you could send me the contacts.

Also, are any of the Chico stations transmitting HD?

Thanks,

Chas
post #34 of 2651 Old 08-03-2005, 11:53 AM

I have called the FCC, KXTV (Chief Engineer), KHSL(market manager), Comcast Corporate(Programming Manager Wendy. I have gotten the same story. Here goes.

I have comcast cable (due to the fact I need high speed Inet and dsl not an option), I have 42" plasma and need more HD. I have channels 919 through 930 which is about 7 HD channels. I am looking or ABC, FOX and such. I need all locals. I am a football fan and am about to order D* sunday ticket and super fan for all the HD games since as it stands not I have a battle in front of me to get the local OTA or otherwise.

Here is what I have found out about when and how we will get HD locals in Chico. I live near the park by PV high which means trees and lots of them. I have been told the chico area comcast terminal has been rebuilt so as to provide high bandwidth programming. Which means chico is able to get all the hd programing and on demand stuff now. So technologically chico is ready to rock in HD. However, KHSL will not move to HD until they have to, due to money because they have to rebuild their tower to provide HD OTA, which they plan to do first to work the bugs out prior to sending it through cable. KXTV has told me they already provide comcast with the digital and HD feed for anyone to pass it on. And according to their Chief Engineer who reviewed the contract rights for me said that comcast DOES have the rights to broadcast KXTV (abc 10) signal. So why haven't they? That is a great question and I am about to find out. I am waiting for a call from the local comcast engineer Tom Baer. He is suppose to tell me what the deal is. It looks like it is boiling down to money and time.

I have read the thread and looks like for now the only way to get the HD I want is to apply for waivers and such.

camassa

Thanks for all your info. Just wanted you to know it was very helpful. How is it coming now. Are you happy? Can you give me some advice on how to get the waiver stuff going. Did you get OTA with any antenna well enough. I have to get ready for football season. I am a football finatic and need HD Monday nights. Thanks for all your support.
post #35 of 2651 Old 08-03-2005, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
KXTU?
post #36 of 2651 Old 08-03-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

KXTU?

corrected sorry. KXTV
post #37 of 2651 Old 08-03-2005, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

KXTV is the ABC station from Sacramento and probably comes in through Comcast cable. I can't get it with my antenna. You can't get it from Chico over satellite either.

Chris
post #38 of 2651 Old 08-04-2005, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh, I know what KXTV is...I didn't know what KXTU was.

And I asked because the Chico/Redding market stations sometimes ape Sacramento and San Francisco calls, both on TV (KCVU/KTVU SF market) and radio (KRQR is just one ex-SF call that lives up there).
post #39 of 2651 Old 08-20-2005, 11:12 PM

I live near East and Cohasset in Chico and I've been having all kinds of antenna issues. I started with a Terk TV44 and got NBC, CBS, and Fox in digital above 80%, ABC usually above 60% but sometimes dropped. I also got all of those in analog, plus UPN, and ABC and CBS from Sacramento. I wanted to get a stronger signal for ABC out of Chico and/or get digital out of Sac, so I contacted Solid Signal. They recommended the SS-2000. With that I got nothing basically. I couldn't see a single digital station. So I contacted Winegard and they said it's probably defective. Today I bought a Terk TV55 and had the same results as the SS-2000. Not making sense to me why the little clip on TV44 has been the best so far. Anyone having any luck with anything these days? I have Dish Network, as far as I know I can only get a waiver for CBS. Anyone else know anything about that? Thanks.
post #40 of 2651 Old 08-21-2005, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

From what I've read the ss-2000 is only good for about 30-40 miles. The Terk 55 is even worse (I started with a Terk TV-50 - same thing). The Redding stations are about 70 miles from you and broadcasting digital at low power. I currently use an AntennasDirect DB4 pointed at Redding. I'm in the Keefer Rd area and have no obstructions. I can get a fairly reliable digital signal from ABC and PBS which broadcast in high definition. I can get NBC, CBS, and Fox digital which are just outside Chico but are oriented 90 degrees from Redding. You will need to turn the antenna manually or with a rotor. To get stations that far away you will need a more directional antenna than what you have. I have not gotten any digital signal from Sacramento but haven't tried that hard. The stations are about 100-110 miles away. Currently the Chico digital broadcasts are just converted SD analog broadcasts. I didn't find picture quality any better when comparing the digital and analog pictures.

As far as waivers are concerned, I have them from CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC and get the LA high definition feed through Directv. I have heard that Fox30 will begin broadcasting in high definition before the football season so that one may get revoked. ABC is supposed to increase power output next year and probably will revoke that one as well.

Chris
post #41 of 2651 Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmassa View Post

From what I've read the ss-2000 is only good for about 30-40 miles. The Terk 55 is even worse (I started with a Terk TV-50 - same thing). The Redding stations are about 70 miles from you and broadcasting digital at low power. I currently use an AntennasDirect DB4 pointed at Redding. I'm in the Keefer Rd area and have no obstructions. I can get a fairly reliable digital signal from ABC and PBS which broadcast in high definition. I can get NBC, CBS, and Fox digital which are just outside Chico but are oriented 90 degrees from Redding. You will need to turn the antenna manually or with a rotor. To get stations that far away you will need a more directional antenna than what you have. I have not gotten any digital signal from Sacramento but haven't tried that hard. The stations are about 100-110 miles away. Currently the Chico digital broadcasts are just converted SD analog broadcasts. I didn't find picture quality any better when comparing the digital and analog pictures.

As far as waivers are concerned, I have them from CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC and get the LA high definition feed through Directv. I have heard that Fox30 will begin broadcasting in high definition before the football season so that one may get revoked. ABC is supposed to increase power output next year and probably will revoke that one as well.

Chris

Sounds like you Directv subscribers are lucky to be able to get waivers. Dish only allows CBS from everything else I've heard. Where did you hear about Fox starting HD? Football season is officially two and a half weeks away.

I called Terk support today and the guy says it's because of the power from the Dish receiver. he said I need to block the power from the Dish receiver and just use the power injector that came with the antenna. I'm supposed to put that between my diplexer on my roof and the antenna. Luckily there's an outlet on my roof so I can try that out. I would think an attenuator would do the trick, but the Terk guy didn't seem to be that technical.

I can't use anything with a rotor because that's too much work running a whole new line and all that. I'm in an apartment. I'm going to try the CM Stealthtenna next. The CM guy says it's actually 62 degrees between us and Redding and the Stealth has a 75 degree beamwidth. So we'll see.
post #42 of 2651 Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

With my DB4 I can get all the stations without moving it when pointed just to the east of Redding. Rotating it gets stronger signals though. It doesn't require power. The thing with antennas though, every location is different, even if just next door. What works for me might not necessarily work for you.

I requested the waivers myself from the stations and submitted them to Directv.

I heard about Fox HD from someone on this board who lives in the Chico/Redding area and was trying to get a waiver from Fox30.

Chris
post #43 of 2651 Old 08-23-2005, 06:16 PM

Ok, I installed my Terk TV55 according to the Terk support guy and surprisingly, it worked. However, it worked no better than the TV44. As a matter of fact it was pretty much exactly the same. I think I will be calling all the local stations tomorrow and find out what's going on for myself. It was torture watching the game last night in HD for a while and then having it cut out at the end. Football looks way way too good in HD. Just because we're in Chico doesn't mean we don't deserve great TV. I'm talking to a Channel Master guy now to find out how the Stealthtenna compares to the TV55. We'll see.
post #44 of 2651 Old 09-02-2005, 11:18 AM

I live near PV High, and am using a Channel Master 3021 4 bay antenna, and a Channel Master 7775 preamp in my attic, and am receiving all Sac HD channels @ 65 - 70% strength using Dish 811 receiver. How you ask.. I have no idea, good location, good antenna, preamp, I really couldn't tell you. Just wanted to let you Chico HD fans know there is hope. Next I am going to try a Yagi on the roof to see if I can get better and more stable signal strength. Will let you guys know what I find.. Now if we can all start bugging the local Chico stations to move faster towards HD, since alot of the cities below Chico on the Nielsen market list have much more HD than we do..
post #45 of 2651 Old 09-03-2005, 12:28 PM

I'd be really interested in how the yagi works... I'm guessing since Sac is a ways away, that the yagi would work good for all the channels if it was receiving the signal. And do you know how much of a difference in signal the pre-amp makes? Very curious as I've never used one before but if it helps, then I might need to check one out.

Isaac
post #46 of 2651 Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM

As far as signal strength with preamp, I could not get any of the Sac stations at all without it. Now all are in the 65-75 range depending on weather. Distance to the towers is about 105 miles or so. I am still amazed with this antenna, I tried Radio Shack 15-2130 yagi over the weekend and only got the dreaded Dish 811 49 signal strength on all channels tried, so I am sticking with the Channel Master. Anyone tried the Reno stations ?? They are at about 110 miles @ 90 degrees from my house. Just curious. Looking forward to football in HD, this weekend was awesome..
post #47 of 2651 Old 09-19-2005, 10:25 AM

Definitely sounds like a pre-amp will help then.. I've got a Channel Master 3023 yagi and 7775 pre-amp on the way, so once I've messed around with it I will post my findings. (I've got a built-in tuner so no signal strength readings, but we'll see what kind of quality of stations I can get) I live at the north end of Chico and will see if I can get a signal from Sacramento.
post #48 of 2651 Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Something I've learned through all my antenna shopping adventures is that running a separate line for the antenna makes a difference. I was using diplexers and not getting very good results. I've tried a Terk TV44, a Winegard SS-2000 and now a Terk TV55. Before the separate line I couldn't get anything. Now with the TV55 and a separate line I get everything around here including ABC and PBS in HD. The Terk guy told me the power output of the Dish 811 is not correct for most antennas. I was surprised to find out that he wasn't just making something up for me to try. Although I'm happy with my TV55 now I had already ordered an 8DXB from antenna's direct. Once I'm over my cold I'll give it a try. They say you don't need a preamp unless the cable run is over 75'. Sacramento HD would be wonderful. I'll have to give that a try also. I'll let you guys know how things go for me.
post #49 of 2651 Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it seems Fox was not able to start HD for football season. I checked this weekend. I watched Monday Night Football on KRCR in HD though. That was cool! I would be very interested to hear if someone can get RELIABLE reception of Sacramento HD broadcasts from Chico. That would be great. Watching the game over the antenna was much better quality than the Directv west feed. Too much compression and down-resolution. The local ABC broadcast had flawless video although the sound seemed to drop out every few minutes for one or two seconds. I had rare episodes of signal dropout. I guess I should I get the antenna up on the roof.

Chris
post #50 of 2651 Old 09-21-2005, 12:23 PM

Hmm, so I've got a question on having a separate line for the antenna... The box on the side of my house splits to two different cables to two different rooms. Should I just run a separate cable from the antenna to my tv on a dedicated line? I would assume that this would give better quality but wanted to make sure as it would be a tad easier to just run it to the box. Still waiting on the antenna to arrive...
post #51 of 2651 Old 09-26-2005, 12:42 PM

I know that splitting the antenna line lessens the signal strength. I'm not really an expert. I was just referring to running a separate line to your Dish/DirecTV receiver rather than using a diplexer with the existing line to the receiver. If your antenna needs to be powered the power from the Dish receiver may not be enough or may be too much, so it's better to just run a dedicated line for the antenna. Hope that makes sense. I still haven't tried my antenna from antennas direct because I'm still trying to kick this cold before getting back up on the roof.
post #52 of 2651 Old 09-29-2005, 12:06 PM

I've been installing and testing out my antenna yesterday and today and so far only the Redding HD stations seem to be coming in. I checked out some mapping software and it seems like my shot to Walnut Grove (Sac) is going right over or very near to a mountain so I believe that's causing me not to get anything from that direction. (I do get an analog WB station from there but it's not coming in very well) One thing that surprised me this morning was getting 2 local Fox digital channels, one labeled HD and the other SD, so maybe are they finally putting out a high def signal? Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this, 30.1 has no sound right now, but 30.2 does. Anyway, still going to try a few more mounting places and see if I can get anything else...

Isaac
post #53 of 2651 Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 PM

You're right, there is 030-01 and 030-02 and they're listed as HD and SD respectively. I watched the playoff game tonight and I'm here to tell you it's not HD. It's better quality than I get through Dish, but not much, and they just stretch it to fill the whole screen. I don't know what they're really doing, but maybe it's a start. I'm curious to see football this weekend though to see if they're broadcasting that in HD like someone said they would be on here earlier. Finally putting my new antenna up this weekend also. I'll write back with the results.
post #54 of 2651 Old 10-08-2005, 04:24 PM

Well a buddy of mine came over today and helped me put my new 8DXB antenna up. We pointed it south first to try to pick up anything from sac, but didn't get anything. Got a little blurp of a signal on a couple but nothing that lasted at all. Pointed it north and were able to dial it in pretty well. Picking up a solid 72% for ABC now. Fox, cbs, and nbc are all in the 80's. I have to say that I'm very happy with this antenna. Now if the other channels can broadcast in HD I'd be set. The antenna picture is actually better than anything I get from Dish though. So I'm done with the antenna choosing, just a waiting game for HD now.
post #55 of 2651 Old 11-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Last night I was getting ready to watch Arrested Development on Fox, and lo and behold it came through in HD! Previous shows and commercials were SD size and picture, but then AD came on and filled up the screen and looked just as nice as the shows in HD on ABC in Redding. House should be on in HD tonight so I will double-check with that. Didn't notice it before yesterday, I watched House last week but it wasn't in HD, but come to think of it, I might have just been watching on 30 instead of 30.1 since that was coming in and out. But last night 30.1 was in solid so maybe they also increased the signal some? Anyway, just wanted to report my discovery.

Isaac
post #56 of 2651 Old 11-08-2005, 09:16 PM

That seems to be correct. HD complete with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. I don't get ABC or PBS with Dolby Digital 5.1, just the 2 channel Dolby Digital. I looked at checkhd.com and it doesn't say anything about football. Anyone happen to see if that worked Sunday? Or know if it will work this Sunday?
post #57 of 2651 Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl033 View Post

Hi Chris,
I've seen some RG-6 cable bundled with a multi-conductor rotator cable. So if some of the Sacrameto channels are "useable", you may want to reconsider.
Carl

Hi Carl, I'm also up in Nevada City. From my location, Sacramento, San Francisco and Reno are blocked by terrain but I am facing Chico-Redding.

I'm curious about your antenna and tuner specs for receiveing OTA Chico and Redding DTV. I called some of the stations last year and learned DTV will be low power for the immediate future. My angle of opportunity for DTV also includes Santa Rosa and down through most of Marin Co. Are you getting anything from Ch 50.1 KFTY-DT, Santa Rosa?

In the meantime I'm using Comcast for HD which is very good after the rebuild but not as fun as OTA DX (long distance reception).
post #58 of 2651 Old 12-26-2005, 03:05 PM

Is the KRCR signal at full strength ?

I am in the shadow of a hill between the transmitting antenna. The signal strength meter on my STB bounces 10%. Between 70% and 80% in clear weather and 50% and 60% in bad weather (unwatchable). Even in good weather the sound cuts in and out of Dolby 5.1 into plain stereo.

On the other hand KIXE comes in solid at 80% all the time. Both transmitters are on the same mountain !

Thanks,

Don
post #59 of 2651 Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 PM

I'm not sure what's going on with KRCR, but I get that station at 89%. I get KIXE at about 72%. I thought they were at the same place as well, but maybe KRCR boosted their signal. I get both of them fine though, even in the rain and wind.

As far as the sound goes, I don't get KRCR in Dolby 5.1. It says Dolby Digital on my receiver but it's just 2 channel Dolby or whatever. Fox comes in full 5.1. I have the same situation with ESPN through Dish, it doesn't show all 5 speakers.
post #60 of 2651 Old 02-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

It's been quite some time since there has been a post on this site. Yesterday, I discovered that I can now receive KNVN digital 24-01 on my ATSC receiver (channel 36). There are some glitches as every now and again, the signal quickly drops to 0 but picks right back up to a solid 72% per my meter. I can scan/add the digital channel to my Dish Network receivers but they do not give any audio/video.

MAYBE 2006 OYLIMPICS IN HDTV???

John
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page