Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post

I tried opening your clips.  No luck.  Having watched some CW HD programming, the HD quality is very good.  When it comes to the sliding bitrates, I have to admit, I don't see any improvement or worsening of 12-1.  I saw the new Ultra HD HDTV on a CES blip.  How on earth can any OTA TV station provide UHD?

I found the question interesting so I looked around. Here's the answer:
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/130238-8k-uhdtv-how-do-you-send-a-48gbps-tv-signal-over-terrestrial-airwaves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Hart View Post

I compaired two clips (OTA) of the Big Bang Theorys' theme song/timeline segment. The old bitrate was about 13.2 mbps and the new bitrate is about 10.8 mbps.

To me the new looks better than the old maybe because old bitrate was CBR and new is VBR. KNVN still uses CBR.

Old clip: http://www.mediafire.com/?taorhl5io1z3vwt
New clip: http://www.mediafire.com/?08cttopv88ecrd0

BTW: Is there a way to upload videos on this site?

For some reason Mediafire took my videos down after an hour saying that it broke their rules.

So I'll try again with Wikisend.

http://wikisend.com/download/160186/Old Bitrate.mpg

http://wikisend.com/download/183090/New Bitrate.mpg
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM

I spoke to dave, chief engineer, at khsl about the changes to khsl. He said new equipment should be an improvement to quality of CBS programming.
I can honestly say that I see a big improvement on the programs that I have watched. One example is the opening credits of CSI on wednesday.
Before the upgrade, quick scene changes had extreme macro blocking, just checked 1/16/2013 broadcast and didn't notice any. I have a 70" sharp lcd, and usually with a bigger screen you really notice the macro blocking. Regardless of the numbers we see on bit rate, all I can say is to me it is a lot better picture. I watch OTA on frequency 43 off of cohassett.

Ed
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Ed,

I've been viewing both KSHL HD and CW-10 for several days now.  Dave is correct.  I see improvement in video quality on KHSL HD.  I have a 60" Samsung LED. There is less macro blocking with quick motion and scene changes!  The quality of CW-10 is remarkable too.  For the amount of bandwidth afforded to both channels, it is not perfect but I can't complain.  I used so see major macro blocking when contestants on, "The Price is Right" when contestants ran from their seating to the stage.  There used to be major macro blocking when the camera panned from left to right or either direction.  Now it is a non-issue!  Dave knows his stuff.  I'm also very impressed that both KNVN and KHSL have HD studio equipment where the syndicated programming in HD is HD.  KRCR and KCVU needs to get on the band wagon for their studio.

John
Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Anybody having issues with KZVU? I'm in SE Chico, near E 20th and Bruce (Doe Mill). Lots of drop outs and signal loss, but KCVU, along the same direction, booms right in. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

I can no longer receive KHSL CBS from the Cohasset Mountain transmitter native channel 43.  I live in E Redding.  For the past two weeks the signal has dropped from 73 down to 65, now there is no signal.  I still get KCVU at full signal.  Is anyone having reception problems from the Cohasset transmitter?

John
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM

Hi John,
I just checked 12-1 ch 43 and got a signal of 90 on my Tivo HD
checked 20-1 ch 20 got a signal of 85. I have not had any issues with signals from Cohasset.
I am off of Lake Blvd and Panorama Dr. in Redding.
Ed
blastoff likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Blastoff,
I was not able to receive 43 for quite some time, only 36. It seems to be back up today, close to where it previously was. I did notice that the sub channel (CW) runs about 8 points lower on my Dish receiver. I am just south of Redding.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfearz View Post

Blastoff,
I was not able to receive 43 for quite some time, only 36. It seems to be back up today, close to where it previously was. I did notice that the sub channel (CW) runs about 8 points lower on my Dish receiver. I am just south of Redding.

I just checked and signals are back to normal.  I don't have the high gain antenna anymore.  I am using a medium range UHF Radio Shack for Cohasset.  If the transmitter did go to a lower power for awhile, it is very possible that I would notice a big difference in signal strength.  When I had the deep fringe antenna, I could pull excellent signals from Cohasset when KHSL and KCVU first started transmitting in low power.  If KCVU would take the UHF38 and make it HD then I would rely more on UHF36 for KHSL.

John
Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

I'm watching the KRCR 5:00pm news.  They are having technical difficulties.  However I see that they have some news items in the 16:9 format and something close to the 16:9 format.  The studio news is 4:3 format.  It makes me wonder if they are upgrading or the equipment is out of control.

John
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM

I see what you mean. the sound is really interesting in dolby pro-logic. I think they just have set the aspect ratio wrong like it used to be years ago. Some of the taped video looks pretty good almost HD. As I keep watching it looks like they might be trying some HD on the video from ABC news. I have yet to see local video. I will keep watching for some local video. Sound cleared up 7 minutes in. It does appear that they are trying HD Video even in local video.
Ed
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM

For those on Dish it seems CW HD will be up soon.

SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 3/6/2013 3:47pm - 36 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 03/06/2013 03:31P - 03/06/2013 03:46P

Channel Additions:
5257(10) - KHSLD [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 05 Spotbeam 16 (Mkt:Chico, CA-Chico, CA-N/A) (NA)

Not available yet.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

gfearz - that is good news for CW in HD on Dish.  I have noticed the past two weeks that video quality for existing network channels seem softer with lager macro block.  They must be testing it already.  Having 6 HD channels on the spotbeam is going to reduce bandwidth for each channel that much more.  Maybe they can beef up the MPEG4 compression to keep quality par.

John
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post

I see what you mean. the sound is really interesting in dolby pro-logic. I think they just have set the aspect ratio wrong like it used to be years ago. Some of the taped video looks pretty good almost HD. As I keep watching it looks like they might be trying some HD on the video from ABC news. I have yet to see local video. I will keep watching for some local video. Sound cleared up 7 minutes in. It does appear that they are trying HD Video even in local video.
Ed

I watched the 5:30 news and the field shots are indeed 16:9 HD. The sprint car segment looked really good, not stretched at all. The studio is still 4:3 though, which looks weird with the back and forth aspect ratios. Maybe they are testing the waters.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igeekone View Post

I watched the 5:30 news and the field shots are indeed 16:9 HD. The sprint car segment looked really good, not stretched at all. The studio is still 4:3 though, which looks weird with the back and forth aspect ratios. Maybe they are testing the waters.

I saw HD too.  It does seem backwards that the studio news is in 4:3 while some news items are in full HD.  I noticed that some news items from other stations (not network) were in sub-par HD maybe 480p.  I read somewhere that lots of TV stations news casters are anti HD because it will require them to use of special makeup :)  I thought that Mike looked pretty good when he was jumping around in the special shoes.

John
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfearz View Post

For those on Dish it seems CW HD will be up soon.

SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 3/6/2013 3:47pm - 36 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 03/06/2013 03:31P - 03/06/2013 03:46P

Channel Additions:
5257(10) - KHSLD [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 05 Spotbeam 16 (Mkt:Chico, CA-Chico, CA-N/A) (NA)

Not available yet.

gfearz,

I just discovered that Dish has added the CW HD.  In comparing it to OTA, I see no difference in quality.

John
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish KHSL action news would follow suit. I completely understand them not having HD footage in-studio, considering the expense, but I do not understand why outside footage, such as sports and national news, that is already shoot in HD, cannot be presented in HD.

Otherwise, I am pleasantly surprised to see KHSLD on Dish, unlike the other local affiliates, airs syndicated programming in HD, such as The King of Queens, and Seinfeld. Not sure why That '70s Show is not in presented in HD, however. Rights fee, I assume? Granted, there's always Netflix.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM

My television is tuned to KHSL, KNVN and (to a lesser extent) KHSL-DT2 a lot more than it is the KRCR/KCVU duopoly, only because the KHSL stations have syndicated programs in HD.

KRCR's HD news, both on Channel 7 and the new 10:00 news on KCVU, is a big plus, though. Hopefully they'll upgrade the studio shots to HD soon (though if other markets are any indication, they're probably waiting for a set rebuild—something both KHSL and KRCR are in dire need of).
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Syndicated HD programming (Entertainment Tonight and OMG Insider) spotted tonight on KRCR, but not on sister station KCVU. I'm not sure if KRCR's entire lineup is in HD, or if it's just a few shows, like when KHSL/KNVN began rolling out syndicated shows in HD. Whatever the case may be, this is a long overdue step in the right direction.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM

It looks like it's the whole syndicated lineup, plus some local commercials. All they need is a news set upgrade, and they will be the first fully-HD station in the market.

Hopefully KCVU isn't far behind, as most of their syndicated lineup is produced and distributed in HD. The early evening, access and late night sitcoms would especially benefit, as they're already available in HD on CBS, cable and Netflix. I'm not sure how many viewers Channel 20 is losing over this (probably not many).
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

KRCR TV first day of broadcasting in full HD.  Looking most excellent.

John
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 PM

Ditto. Looks pretty good.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised; I thought they were waiting to upgrade the set before converting the studio to HD. The HD and new graphics package look good.

Your move, KHSL.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM

I'm really excited by this move. HD newscasts are long overdue in this part of the state. Lets hope this pushes KHSL/KNVN to do the same.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAWalrus View Post

It looks like it's the whole syndicated lineup, plus some local commercials. All they need is a news set upgrade, and they will be the first fully-HD station in the market.

Hopefully KCVU isn't far behind, as most of their syndicated lineup is produced and distributed in HD. The early evening, access and late night sitcoms would especially benefit, as they're already available in HD on CBS, cable and Netflix. I'm not sure how many viewers Channel 20 is losing over this (probably not many).
Considering most American households do not even to subscribe to HD package to begin with, probably not.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Forward View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAWalrus View Post

Considering most American households do not even to subscribe to HD package to begin with, probably not.

I have to scratch my head when I hear things like this. Cox and TWC give the HD version of a channel at no charge when the customer gets the SD version. Cox's DVR EPG even reminds the viewer that an HD version exists. Don't all cable systems do likewise?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

I discovered today that KCVU Fox is now using the UHF 38 translator in Redding for digital transmissions.   38-1 K38FQ is 720p and 38-2 This is 480i. If in the future that my satellite provider adds the data for their guide, I can re-aim my antenna toward South Fork instead of Cohasset!

John
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM

Is anyone getting CW-10 on DirecTV? The channel shows in the guide but DirecTV is telling me they are prohibited from showing it to Redding viewers. I think I am getting the run around. I can get it with my antenna on 12-2.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 PM

Same for Red Bluff on DirectTV. Shows up as 'one' of my stations but is not viewable. Like you If I really want to watch it I use my HD receiver and OTA antenna.