post #2641 of 2644 Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Veedon,

I know we're getting a bit off-subject for Chico, but if you ever receive WGHP, check out their 8-2. That's 704x480i widescreen SD. foxeng made sure it was set up properly that way.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2644 Old 02-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KCVU is the last* HD holdout in the market. Fox programming airs in high-definition, of course, but syndicated shows and local commercials don't (which must have been wonderful for area advertisers during this year's Super Bowl).

However, the 10:00 News — fed to KCVU from the mothership in Redding — actually does broadcast in HD, which tells me the station is at least capable of airing HD programming passed through KRCR.

Since the station in Chico is apparently still not HD-ready, couldn't they play KCVU's syndicated shows from Redding and patch them through to Channel 20 in the same manner? (At least until KCVU's facilities are someday upgraded.)

The lack of HD in 2014 is jarringly noticeable; it's like a station still broadcasting in black-and-white only in 1977. I like some of Fox 20's acquired shows, but the ugly standard definition makes them hard to watch.

Perhaps someone who works at KRCR or KCVU can give us an ETA on a potential HD upgrade date.

*I know their sister-station, KRVU, doesn't broadcast in HD at all, but that station seems more like an afterthought than anything else.
post #2643 of 2644 Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAWalrus View Post

KCVU is the last* HD holdout in the market. Fox programming airs in high-definition, of course, but syndicated shows and local commercials don't (which must have been wonderful for area advertisers during this year's Super Bowl).

However, the 10:00 News — fed to KCVU from the mothership in Redding — actually does broadcast in HD, which tells me the station is at least capable of airing HD programming passed through KRCR.

Since the station in Chico is apparently still not HD-ready, couldn't they play KCVU's syndicated shows from Redding and patch them through to Channel 20 in the same manner? (At least until KCVU's facilities are someday upgraded.)

The lack of HD in 2014 is jarringly noticeable; it's like a station still broadcasting in black-and-white only in 1977. I like some of Fox 20's acquired shows, but the ugly standard definition makes them hard to watch.

Perhaps someone who works at KRCR or KCVU can give us an ETA on a potential HD upgrade date.

*I know their sister-station, KRVU, doesn't broadcast in HD at all, but that station seems more like an afterthought than anything else.

It would be great if they made the transition soon.  The sooner the better.

John
post #2644 of 2644 Old 07-04-2014, 07:30 AM

New Equipment at KHSL/KNVN

I found a couple of articles describing all of the work that KHSL/KNVN has done in upgrading their equipment and facility over the past several months. The new owners and Chief Engineer have definitely invested a TON of money doing this upgrade. Very impressive:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/playout/2...nfrastructure/

and

http://www.visualimagingnews.com/?p=5735

I also noticed a couple of days ago that evidently KRCR is looking for a new Chief Engineer:

http://chico.craigslist.org/eng/4548317397.html
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page