Chico, CA - HDTV - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2641 of 2669 Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Veedon,

I know we're getting a bit off-subject for Chico, but if you ever receive WGHP, check out their 8-2. That's 704x480i widescreen SD. foxeng made sure it was set up properly that way.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2642 of 2669 Old 02-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Member
 
AKAWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KCVU is the last* HD holdout in the market. Fox programming airs in high-definition, of course, but syndicated shows and local commercials don't (which must have been wonderful for area advertisers during this year's Super Bowl).

However, the 10:00 News — fed to KCVU from the mothership in Redding — actually does broadcast in HD, which tells me the station is at least capable of airing HD programming passed through KRCR.

Since the station in Chico is apparently still not HD-ready, couldn't they play KCVU's syndicated shows from Redding and patch them through to Channel 20 in the same manner? (At least until KCVU's facilities are someday upgraded.)

The lack of HD in 2014 is jarringly noticeable; it's like a station still broadcasting in black-and-white only in 1977. I like some of Fox 20's acquired shows, but the ugly standard definition makes them hard to watch.

Perhaps someone who works at KRCR or KCVU can give us an ETA on a potential HD upgrade date.

*I know their sister-station, KRVU, doesn't broadcast in HD at all, but that station seems more like an afterthought than anything else.
AKAWalrus is offline  
post #2643 of 2669 Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
blastoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAWalrus View Post

KCVU is the last* HD holdout in the market. Fox programming airs in high-definition, of course, but syndicated shows and local commercials don't (which must have been wonderful for area advertisers during this year's Super Bowl).

However, the 10:00 News — fed to KCVU from the mothership in Redding — actually does broadcast in HD, which tells me the station is at least capable of airing HD programming passed through KRCR.

Since the station in Chico is apparently still not HD-ready, couldn't they play KCVU's syndicated shows from Redding and patch them through to Channel 20 in the same manner? (At least until KCVU's facilities are someday upgraded.)

The lack of HD in 2014 is jarringly noticeable; it's like a station still broadcasting in black-and-white only in 1977. I like some of Fox 20's acquired shows, but the ugly standard definition makes them hard to watch.

Perhaps someone who works at KRCR or KCVU can give us an ETA on a potential HD upgrade date.

*I know their sister-station, KRVU, doesn't broadcast in HD at all, but that station seems more like an afterthought than anything else.


It would be great if they made the transition soon.  The sooner the better.


John
blastoff is offline  
post #2644 of 2669 Old 07-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Member
 
HD-Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Equipment at KHSL/KNVN

I found a couple of articles describing all of the work that KHSL/KNVN has done in upgrading their equipment and facility over the past several months. The new owners and Chief Engineer have definitely invested a TON of money doing this upgrade. Very impressive:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/playout/2...nfrastructure/

and

http://www.visualimagingnews.com/?p=5735

I also noticed a couple of days ago that evidently KRCR is looking for a new Chief Engineer:

http://chico.craigslist.org/eng/4548317397.html
HD-Dude is offline  
post #2645 of 2669 Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Member
 
AKAWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still no HD syndicated fare on KCVU, but today they aired in HD a (non-Fox) preseason 49ers/Broncos game fed to them by KPIX. That's at least a step in the right direction.
AKAWalrus is offline  
post #2646 of 2669 Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Member
 
bukzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Direct TV blacked out the Niner game today.

Had it set for DVR (Genie) to record ch. 212, NFL
and got a rude message.

Is this common? Its pre-season damn it!

Bukzin
North California
bukzin is offline  
post #2647 of 2669 Old 08-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Member
 
bukzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know of a good installer for a rooftop antenna Butte County?

I want to do a dual antenna system (matching units) to be combined
into a single feed.


Thoughts?

Bukzin
North California
bukzin is offline  
post #2648 of 2669 Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Member
 
AKAWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like KCVU has finally flipped the switch on full HD. Good on them.
AKAWalrus is offline  
post #2649 of 2669 Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Senior Member
 
mbclev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAWalrus View Post
Looks like KCVU has finally flipped the switch on full HD. Good on them.

Does that mean KCVU's local news is in HD? (I have been making a list of U.S. TV stations that don't have HD local news, and KCVU up until this time was the only station in your market that doesn't have it.)
mbclev is offline  
post #2650 of 2669 Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Member
 
AKAWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbclev View Post
Does that mean KCVU's local news is in HD? (I have been making a list of U.S. TV stations that don't have HD local news, and KCVU up until this time was the only station in your market that doesn't have it.)
Yes. KCVU's local news went HD at the same time as KRCR's.
AKAWalrus is offline  
post #2651 of 2669 Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Chas Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Missing channels

Does anyone know what happend to MyTv (22.1) and Fox (38.1) from redding?

Ever since the rain last week they're dead.
Chas Hart is offline  
post #2652 of 2669 Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Member
 
Chas Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Hart View Post
Does anyone know what happend to MyTv (22.1) and Fox (38.1) from redding?

Ever since the rain last week they're dead.
Never mind. I see they're back on the air today
blastoff likes this.
Chas Hart is offline  
post #2653 of 2669 Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Member
 
wildbill129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was it just me or was the game on KNVN full of motion pixelation tonight? I just watched replays on NFL network and they are fine. It seems to just be channel 24. It was horrible.
wildbill129 is offline  
post #2654 of 2669 Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I was reading that KXVU-LP and KNVN 24-2 traded affiliations and KNVN now carries Telemundo on 24-2. Is 24-2 now in HD like 12-2 is?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #2655 of 2669 Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Member
 
HD-Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comcast now has a new HD station listed on channel 714 as KNVNT. It's Spanish language so I'm assuming it must be the Telemundo that Trip mentioned. If they are now splitting their bandwidth between these 2 HD signals as well as some SD signals (I haven't kept up with what SD programming they have these days), then that would certainly explain the severe pixelation on the foot ball game that WildBill pointed out.
HD-Dude is offline  
post #2656 of 2669 Old 01-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Member
 
Redding Delivery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
KNVN 24-1 picture quality has really suffered since the switch on 24-2.
It is so bad that I can hardly watch it. Bitrate does not seem to be prioritized for 24-1.
Any motion and it pixalates so bad that they should not call it HD. I am very disappointed in the engineering dept. since the ownership change.
Ed
Redding Delivery is offline  
post #2657 of 2669 Old 01-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
blastoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Redding Delivery,


KNVN Video Quality is worse! They are starving the NBC channel of needed bandwidth. Now that they added Telemundo in 720p as a sub channel I've been monitoring and see that they keep NBC at around 10 Mbps and Telemundo at 6 Mbps! Then they have the weather running at around 1.89 Mbps. Using MPEG2 there is only so much that the encoding and decoding can do.


KNVN needs to up the NBC bandwidth so the video isn't crappy. There is way too much macro blocking. I could care less about Telemundo and in watching it the quality is far worse than KNVN HD.


I don't see this problem on KNVN's sister station KHSL which runs the CW sub channel in 720p. Maybe this is because they don't have the second sub channel to total 3.


I have Dish Network HD Locals. I can tell you that the macro blocking looks worse than the OTA. It fills more of the screen. Then there is macro blocking in splotches where a person moves their head, arm or torso quickly. I wonder if Dish Network knows about this mess and if they have some quality control process where locals have to provide and maintain an acceptable standard.


With digital signals, while it has much better overall quality, unlike the old analog signals that had ghosting and snow, we now have to suffer with watching macro blocking.


Do the people that operate KNVN watch their channel?

John
blastoff is offline  
post #2658 of 2669 Old 01-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post
Redding Delivery,


KNVN Video Quality is worse! They are starving the NBC channel of needed bandwidth. Now that they added Telemundo in 720p as a sub channel I've been monitoring and see that they keep NBC at around 10 Mbps and Telemundo at 6 Mbps! Then they have the weather running at around 1.89 Mbps. Using MPEG2 there is only so much that the encoding and decoding can do.


KNVN needs to up the NBC bandwidth so the video isn't crappy. There is way too much macro blocking. I could care less about Telemundo and in watching it the quality is far worse than KNVN HD


I don't see this problem on KNVN's sister station KHSL which runs the CW sub channel in 720p. Maybe this is because they don't have the second sub channel to total 3.


I have Dish Network HD Locals. I can tell you that the macro blocking looks worse than the OTA. It fills more of the screen. Then there is macro blocking in splotches where a person moves their head, arm or torso quickly. I wonder if Dish Network knows about this mess and if they have some quality control process where locals have to provide and maintain an acceptable standard.


With digital signals, while it has much better overall quality, unlike the old analog signals that had ghosting and snow, we now have to suffer with watching macro blocking.


Do the people that operate KNVN watch their channel?
I would get used to it, if the FCC has their way we will lose more of the upper part of the UHF TV spectrum anyway. Doubling up affiliations on one channel will be the norm.
wndhh1 is offline  
post #2659 of 2669 Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
blastoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
I would get used to it, if the FCC has their way we will lose more of the upper part of the UHF TV spectrum anyway. Doubling up affiliations on one channel will be the norm.

I'm doubt that I'll get used to it anytime soon. I hope for improvement but with the way things are going. network channels may become a thing of the past with the internet and 4k.

John
blastoff is offline  
post #2660 of 2669 Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Redding Delivery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anyone notice the descriptive audio on 24-1 last night. State of affairs had it on. No way to turn it off that I could find. Also seems like video is improving. Hopefully all will be good by Sunday.
Ed


ps


Just watched State of Affairs recorded 1/26/15. Video quality has vastly improved since last week. I did not notice any macro blocking on any scenes. I disconnected my center speaker to cancel descriptive audio. However, about 46 minutes into program the problem was corrected.

Last edited by Redding Delivery; 01-27-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Redding Delivery is offline  
post #2661 of 2669 Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
blastoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post
Just watched State of Affairs recorded 1/26/15. Video quality has vastly improved since last week. I did not notice any macro blocking on any scenes. I disconnected my center speaker to cancel descriptive audio. However, about 46 minutes into program the problem was corrected.

KNVN is running 24-1 at around 12 Mbps for the Super Bowl. The video looks really good to me.

John
blastoff is offline  
post #2662 of 2669 Old 05-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
crauen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento Valley, CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems this thread has been all but abandoned for awhile (hello out there!), so I thought I'd try to resurrect it.

I live in Chico and gave up on our locals here several years ago. Recently, a close friend emailed me the details of a new digital subchannel called Buzzr TV (or just Buzzr), being launched by FremantleMedia in June. Fremantle owns the rights to many of the old classic game show episodes that used to be the specialty of the present cable network GSN.

So this got me curious about OTA channels, and I did some reading, and found that A LOT of new channels, with strong financial backing, are just now or have been in the process of lighting up and catching attention. Not all of them are in the Chico Redding market YET but...

...this got me further curious as to what might be out there locally in our region now, and if there had been any changes since I last did a scan for channels several years ago.

I did a scan the other night, using a Dish Network VIP 722 receiver - 41 digital channels were picked up!

Of course, half of these were a combo of religious, shopping or Spanish, but many of the rest were new to me. Also the channel numbers & transmit numbers have changed, names of channels have changed or are incorrect, transmitters appear to have been added or moved, which is leading me to believe there might be some sort of resurgence in OTA as an option/alternative to cable or satellite. And it seems a lot has changed!

Here's what I picked up, as of 4/26/15, according to the old Dish receiver and a small VHF Yagi-style antenna, which seems to pick up UHF very well too if it's close:

7-1: KRCR ABC HD
7-2: MeTV (stronger signal than 7-1 ??)
7-3: Movies!

9-1: KIXE PBS HD
9-2: Create
9-3: World

12-1: KHSL CBS HD
12-2: CW HD

...then two SD versions of these from somewhere distant:

12-3: KHSL SD
12-4: CW SD

Several channels at 15.1 - 15.5, appear to be religious & shopping (I accidentally deleted these)

20-1: KCVU Fox HD
20-2: This

22-1: KZVU - appears to be MyTV? It is a simulcast of a Dish Local with the call letters KRVU...why different call letters?

24-1: KNVN NBC HD
24-2: Listed as Antenna TV in the Dish guide, it appears to be Telemundo in HD. News to me...where is Antenna TV?
24-3: KNVN SD (from another transmitter)
24-4: Telemundo SD
24-5: AccuWeather
24-6: AccuWeather (from another transmitter)

28-1: KKPM
28-2: GodTV
28-3: Days
28-4: AUN
28-5: QVC
28-6: TheW
28-7: VisM
28-8: NBTV (North Bay Television)

The North Bay channel was noteable, as it is based in Sonoma, which is too far for us to get, but on their website they have a graph where they show transmitters in Chico and Redding. I could only get scattered info about this set of channels, they might be part of something called Family Station (any ideas here?). They have actually been off the air since Friday.

30-1: Spanish, strong signal & looks to be Univision

Noticeably absent from this list was Antenna TV. I ran a scan off of the TV tuner itself, and picked up Antenna TV on Channel 17 ANALOG (what's up with that???). A partial list I found on the internet says Antenna TV is at 17.1 as a digital, but I can't get it.

Can someone help me clarify exactly what's happened with some of these local sub-digitals of late? Thanks!
crauen is offline  
post #2663 of 2669 Old 05-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
blastoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is what I get on my small and low placed roof top antenna in Redding:

7-1: KRCR-T HD
7-2: MeTV
7-3: Movies (Excellent 16:9 format fit for small bandwidth SD)

9-1: KIXE-HD
9-2: CREATE
9-3: WORLD

12-1: KHSL HD
12-2: CW010 HD

20-1: KCVU-HD
20-2: ThisTV

21-1: KRVU - MyTV SD


23-1 KRDT-C SD
23-2 GodTV+
23-3 Daysta
23-4 AUN+++
23-5 QVC+++
23-6 TheWal
23-7 VisMun
23-8 NBTV++


24-1: KNVN HD
24-5: AccuWx
24-2: Telemu HD


26-1 KGEC-L
26-2 KGEC-L
26-3 KGEC-L
26-4 KGEC-L


30-1 KKTF
38-1 K38FQ (KCVU HD)
38-2 This

John
blastoff is offline  
post #2664 of 2669 Old 05-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
crauen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento Valley, CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post
This is what I get on my small and low placed roof top antenna in Redding:

7-1: KRCR-T HD
7-2: MeTV
7-3: Movies (Excellent 16:9 format fit for small bandwidth SD)

9-1: KIXE-HD
9-2: CREATE
9-3: WORLD

12-1: KHSL HD
12-2: CW010 HD

20-1: KCVU-HD
20-2: ThisTV

21-1: KRVU - MyTV SD


23-1 KRDT-C SD
23-2 GodTV+
23-3 Daysta
23-4 AUN+++
23-5 QVC+++
23-6 TheWal
23-7 VisMun
23-8 NBTV++


24-1: KNVN HD
24-5: AccuWx
24-2: Telemu HD


26-1 KGEC-L
26-2 KGEC-L
26-3 KGEC-L
26-4 KGEC-L


30-1 KKTF
38-1 K38FQ (KCVU HD)
38-2 This
Thanks - this clarifies what might be up with the new Sonoma County channels, which you're getting loud and clear in Redding. They have a transmitter/repeater in Redding, Chico and Sacramento (for us in Chico, it's on 28 - yours are on 23). The only one of any great excitement from the group at 23 is NBTV - quite a variety of movies & such:

http://www.northbaytv.com/about

You are lucky to get KGEC 26, I just learned about these today & again, looks like some cool stuff. Mainly Retro TV and The Family Channel. Will have to get a proper UHF antenna and probably a pre-amp if I'd have any chance of getting those, they are "low power" - but they do have a website, with plans to grow:

http://www.kgectv.com/

This is all looking to have developed in the last year or so, maybe less, but does have me wondering if combined with a Tivo DVR, one could drop their cable or satellite programming and just get OTA plus whatever streaming services people use (Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, etc.)...
crauen is offline  
post #2665 of 2669 Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
crauen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento Valley, CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Antenna TV

Also confirming that Antenna TV on KXVU-LP at 17.1 does not have it's digital transmission running. Only receiving an analog signal on 17, maybe that's a back-up? Curious to know if anyone in Chico/Redding is receiving it.
crauen is offline  
post #2666 of 2669 Old 05-03-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
As far as I am aware, KXVU-LP is only licensed as an analog at this time, and is the exclusive home of Antenna TV in the market.

KZVU-LD is the Chico transmitter while KRVU-LD is the Redding transmitter. They run the same programming.

KKPM-CD and KRDT-CD are owned by One Ministries along with a chain of stations in San Francisco, Sacramento, Monterey, etc. They all simulcast each other and have the same set of channels.

30-1 should be Unimas rather than Univision, which I think is still analog-only in the area. (Not sure why that is.)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #2667 of 2669 Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
crauen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento Valley, CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
As far as I am aware, KXVU-LP is only licensed as an analog at this time, and is the exclusive home of Antenna TV in the market.

KZVU-LD is the Chico transmitter while KRVU-LD is the Redding transmitter. They run the same programming.

KKPM-CD and KRDT-CD are owned by One Ministries along with a chain of stations in San Francisco, Sacramento, Monterey, etc. They all simulcast each other and have the same set of channels.

30-1 should be Unimas rather than Univision, which I think is still analog-only in the area. (Not sure why that is.)

- Trip
Thanks for the info here...interesting. I wonder why Antenna TV is strictly analog? Most OTA tuners are digital only now; I happened to be using an older tv and found it. When the channel first launched a few years ago, we had a different provider for the area and it put out a very good digital picture. That's a little backwards to me.

One Ministries - I'm picking those up from their Yuba City transmitter, the Chico tower is down (apparently); I emailed their engineer yesterday and they're on it. It's supposed to be sending out PSIP data to tell people's TV's that it's Channel 11, not 28. NBTV at the last spot, 28.8, isn't religion oriented at all but has a pretty eclectic mix of programming.

There are a lot of additional "diginets" out there that could be carried if the bandwidth allows, or if another independent company comes in and puts up transmitters for us to see them. Laff (comedy channel) just launched, Buzzr is coming, Decades, Heroes and Icons, and a few others. I can actually get them FTA on my old C-band dish, but don't have a guide, and there's a few I'm missing due to trees. I see that Ch. 26 in Redding has Retro TV, but I'd need a better UHF antenna to pick that up.
crauen is offline  
post #2668 of 2669 Old 05-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
crauen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento Valley, CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=blastoff;33942386]This is what I get on my small and low placed roof top antenna in Redding:


23-1 KRDT-C SD
23-2 GodTV+
23-3 Daysta
23-4 AUN+++
23-5 QVC+++
23-6 TheWal
23-7 VisMun
23-8 NBTV++


26-1 KGEC-L
26-2 KGEC-L
26-3 KGEC-L
26-4 KGEC-L


Can you tell me what your getting for signal quality on 23-8 and the ones at 26? I am trying to pull these in from Chico with no success. Thanks.
crauen is offline  
post #2669 of 2669 Old 05-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
crauen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento Valley, CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
As far as I am aware, KXVU-LP is only licensed as an analog at this time, and is the exclusive home of Antenna TV in the market.

KZVU-LD is the Chico transmitter while KRVU-LD is the Redding transmitter. They run the same programming.

KKPM-CD and KRDT-CD are owned by One Ministries along with a chain of stations in San Francisco, Sacramento, Monterey, etc. They all simulcast each other and have the same set of channels.

30-1 should be Unimas rather than Univision, which I think is still analog-only in the area. (Not sure why that is.)

- Trip
Found out that our Fox affiliate oversees Antenna TV, so gave them (Bonten Media) a quick call. They won't be going digital "anytime soon" - their words. :-/
crauen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off