Atlanta, GA - Charter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 356 Old 10-28-2004, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updated word on the chance Charter and other cable companies will be able to get the ABCHD signal from Cox Communications. I have watched a lot of football in HD on CBS, FOX and ESPN and it is incredible. I am not much of a MNF fan, but to not be able to watch the Bowl Championship Series in HD will stink.

Anyway for us to let our feelings be known to Cox? I have contacted Charter on numerous occasions and even contacted WSB in Atlanta. Should I post their contact in Atlanta so others can let him know we would love to have the ABCHD signal?

{Mod Edit}
Charter currently offers the following HD channels:
  • CBSHD
  • FOXHD
  • NBCHD
  • ESPNHD
  • HBOHD
  • ShowtimeHD
  • HDNET
  • HDMovies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 356 Old 10-28-2004, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Can you summarize what HD channels Charter offers in the Atlanta area? I'll add this thread to the list of official threads.

Re: your post, you may want to pose the question in the Atlanta, GA - Comcast thread (assuming Comcast does not offer ABC-HD either)
post #3 of 356 Old 10-28-2004, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Can you summarize what HD channels Charter offers in the Atlanta area? I'll add this thread to the list of official threads.

Re: your post, you may want to pose the question in the Atlanta, GA - Comcast thread (assuming Comcast does not offer ABC-HD either)

Charter offers HDNET, HDMovies, ESPNHD, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, NBCHD, FOXHD and CBSHD.
post #4 of 356 Old 11-15-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Below you will find my message to ABC in Atlanta. Just wanting to update people and hopefully something will happen to get the ABCHD feed into the Atlanta market before the Bowl Championship Series comes around...

I understand there are discussions between Charter and ABC, but what can I do to get ABCHD on my Charter system in Bremen GA. I cannot get ABCHD OTA, and I am missing out on Monday Night Football and dread having to miss the Bowl Championship Series. What, as a consumer, can I do to assist the process of you guys working something out?

Response:

All negotiations are being held at a high executive level at our corporation. It's my understanding they are just as anxious to have this resolved as everyone. There must be legitimate business reasons why a final settlement hasn't been reached. Hopefully, this won't take too much longer.

Gene Faulkner
Director of Engineering.
WSB-TV
Atlanta, GA 30309- .
post #5 of 356 Old 12-09-2004, 07:33 PM
KWP

Does anyone know if the DVI is activated on the Charter HD boxes? I want to make sure before I go and buy a DVI - HDMI cable.

Thanks.

KP
post #6 of 356 Old 12-10-2004, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KWP
Does anyone know if the DVI is activated on the Charter HD boxes? I want to make sure before I go and buy a DVI - HDMI cable.

Thanks.

Mine is...I am using my DVI output for my projector...and it works great.
post #7 of 356 Old 12-13-2004, 01:15 PM
KWP

Quote:

Originally posted by coatie

Cool. I may have to go buy a DVI->HMDI cable today!

KP
post #8 of 356 Old 12-13-2004, 06:01 PM
KWP

Quote:

OK, I went and bought a Radio Shack Gold DVI -> HDMI 12ft cable and hooked up my cable box to my Panny 42PX20.

I compared the HD component to the HDMI and the component looked better! The blacks were deeper and the picture was sharper. Even after making adjustments to the settings.

Did anyone else have this problem?

KP
post #9 of 356 Old 12-14-2004, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by KWP
OK, I went and bought a Radio Shack Gold DVI -> HDMI 12ft cable and hooked up my cable box to my Panny 42PX20.

I compared the HD component to the HDMI and the component looked better! The blacks were deeper and the picture was sharper. Even after making adjustments to the settings.

Did anyone else have this problem?

Your TV may have a choice to select the HD signal either 1080i or 720i or 720p. If the box and the TV do not match, the picture may not be as good. I believe on the box, you set the output, so you might check this....
post #10 of 356 Old 12-14-2004, 08:51 AM
KWP

Quote:

Your TV may have a choice to select the HD signal either 1080i or 720i or 720p. If the box and the TV do not match, the picture may not be as good. I believe on the box, you set the output, so you might check this....

I have the box set to 1080i. My TV (Panny 42PX20U) doesn't accept 720p.

KP
post #11 of 356 Old 12-14-2004, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by KWP
I have the box set to 1080i. My TV (Panny 42PX20U) doesn't accept 720p.

YOu need to check with your cable company and make sure of what signal is being broadcast from the box.....If you only have a 720p or i signal, then your TV is thinking it is receiving something it isn't......
post #12 of 356 Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 AM

Anyone here have a CableCard with Charter?

I just keep having problem after problem with them.

If it wasn't so cheap ($110~ after taxes for internet, cable, hd, all movie channels, 2 CCs, extended basic), I'd leave these morons in a heartbeat.

I've had every single problem you can possibly have with a cable company I never once had with Comcast.

- Over-priced bill (they removed me from the package deal TWICE, upping my bill 40 bucks)
- Idiot techs (First one to install service left all the wall jacks unscrewed, second one for CC install brought an HD box, third one brought CC but didn't know how to install it, fourth one couldn't get CC to work, fifth one got 1st cable card working, but the other card couldn't work either, now my original CC is dead again and the tech just left without resolving it, blaming signal problems, digger coming out monday)
- Service screw ups (charging me for services I never signed up for and removing the services I did want)
- Head-end problems (removing certain channels from my service, de-activating one of my CCs)

I've had more problems in one week of Charter cable than I had in 9 years of Comcast.

The latest problem is my original CC, which worked fine, decided not to work on digital channels anymore. Tech comes, sees both cards work fine in the TV downstairs, checks the signals, and says the signals, which were fine 48 hours ago on both TVs, are now not fine, and are what's causing the artifacting on the TV downstairs and no digital channels on the one upstairs.

My package deal ends in April. You can guarantee that's when my contract does, too.
post #13 of 356 Old 01-04-2005, 12:27 PM

Any word on Charter adding ESPN2-HD?

Any word on Charter adding Discovery HD?

Any word on Charter offering an HD DVR?

Any word on Charter offering any new HD channels at all?

While this isn't an HD channel, they did add the NFL Network to the Digital Sports Tier the other day. It wasn't even on the channel lineup they sent in this months' bill, but I found it while channelsurfing this weekend.
post #14 of 356 Old 01-27-2005, 03:51 PM

I see nobody has any word on anything. I guess there's no word to have.

Meanwhile, Comcast added ABC-HD today. Charter CSR says they have no idea.
post #15 of 356 Old 01-28-2005, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by rcwalters
I see nobody has any word on anything. I guess there's no word to have.

Meanwhile, Comcast added ABC-HD today. Charter CSR says they have no idea.

I haven't heard anything, I but I am going to contact Charter today. It is my understanding that Cox would not allow anyone to hvae the signal. If a deal was worked out with Comcast, then I would think Charter would have one too.
post #16 of 356 Old 02-03-2005, 07:09 PM

Does Charter offer an HD-DVR right now?

What do they charge for a regular DVR?
post #17 of 356 Old 02-03-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by timmernator
Does Charter offer an HD-DVR right now?

No. The technician I spoke to last week said it would be over six months before it's ready here.
post #18 of 356 Old 02-05-2005, 07:56 AM

Six months? They're advertising it here in Michigan already saying, "Coming Soon." I hope soon isn't six months.
post #19 of 356 Old 02-05-2005, 08:17 AM

Well, I was told back in June that it would be here "in a few weeks." Now I'm being told six months. Who knows, it no longer matters. I am waiting for the installer to arrive any moment now, I'm switching to D* today. I'll be getting 16 HD channels rather than the 6 Charter supplies, and I'll have my Tivo today, not in six months.

I really can't say anything good about Charter. Not a thing.
post #20 of 356 Old 02-07-2005, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I really can't say anything good about Charter. Not a thing.

I have really loved my HD, just want more channels, especially ABC. I have a TIVO stand alone, so I don't need a DVR, but I do hope they have more channels soon. I live 50 miles from Atlanta, so OTA HD signals are not an option for me, so I have to stick with Charter and just hope they come through.
post #21 of 356 Old 02-07-2005, 07:30 AM

I have a Tivo standalone also, it doesn't do HD. After having had a Tivo, I don't see how anyone can go back to watching TV without it, but that's the way it has to be done when you're on Charter.

And my initial review now of D* is that it is AWESOME. I have all the extra HD channels, the new Tivo picks up everything OTA with the Silver Sensor in one location, whereas with my Zenith receiver I had to move it around to get different channels. I am getting four or five channels that aren't even on the D* channel listing, looks like they added them since I printed out that list in December. There's simply no comparison.

As far as you living 50 miles out, over in the Macon, GA thread there are people saying they put up antennas and are getting the Atlanta stations OTA--some are in Warner Robins and Perry, even, so those folks are 85+ miles out from the Atlanta transmitters. You should be able to do OTA also. Digital signals seem to do a lot better that analog at those distances. No snow--with digital, you either get the channel, or you don't.
post #22 of 356 Old 02-07-2005, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As far as you living 50 miles out, over in the Macon, GA thread there are people saying they put up antennas and are getting the Atlanta stations OTA--some are in Warner Robins and Perry, even, so those folks are 85+ miles out from the Atlanta transmitters. You should be able to do OTA also. Digital signals seem to do a lot better that analog at those distances. No snow--with digital, you either get the channel, or you don't.

Any idea how to test the signal? What kind of antenna to try?

I know I can go to Walmart or CC and buy a receiver I can return, but I just want to know before I go to all the hassle.......
post #23 of 356 Old 02-07-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Any idea how to test the signal? What kind of antenna to try?

Check out http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/ahdtv/
There are a lot of folks there, from all around Atlanta that have tried several things. It seems that the consensus is the ChannelMaster 4228 as the ultimate antenna. I haven't tried it, my Silver Sensor is amazing for its size.

As far as receiver, my Zenith HDV420 is now for sale, I used it to get ABC, but don't need it now that the TiVo does the same job. There's a few on ebay that have sold for $188 including the exorbitant shipping being charged. I would let mine go for $175. It did the job, the only issue is that I could get all stations except ABC with the Silver Sensor sitting on top of the TV, but to get ABC, I had to build a shelf two feet higher to bring it in--and the other stations wouldn't come in at that location. I figure a bigger antenna (the Silver Sensor is less than a foot long) would take care of that too. I live 25 miles away from the transmitters.

My opinion is that you definitely can get HD OTA where you are, the question is how much antenna will you really need.

Also check out www.antennaweb.org --that's a great resource, but actually I am doing better with less antenna than it indicates I should expect.

If you do get OTA running strong, you could potentially drop the HD package from Charter and save some money. You would lose ESPN, HDNet, and HBO and Showtime if you have those. But you would pick up ABC, UPN, WB, and PBS, and when TBS is the station assigned to do the Braves game at home (as opposed to Turner South or whoever) that is broadcast in HD OTA also.
post #24 of 356 Old 03-01-2005, 05:05 PM

I just tried to get a cc install on my new Tosh and after much pain and suffering they tell me thay don't have any cc's and they don't know when the manufacturer (motorolla) will be sending any more out.

Has anybody had a cc installed recently in the Atlanta area?

Uplinker
post #25 of 356 Old 03-21-2005, 11:01 AM

Well, looks like I'll be moving up to Suwanee, GA in about 5-7 months where Charter is the cable provider. Currently I have Comcast HD with a DVR. I'm hoping the DVR is available when I am ready to move and that they have a few more HD channels available, but I'm happy with their current lineup because it's the same amount of HD I'm getting from Comcast.
post #26 of 356 Old 04-18-2005, 06:31 AM

This post is for anyone who understands the technical side of cable distribution systems.

HD recently became available in my area. I have the Motorola DVR set top box. I am pleased with the picture quality (when it is working). The problem is that periodically, the HD channels (and internet before I switched to DSL a few weeks before I got HD service) will deteriorate and sometimes even drop out. SD channels work OK. This happens typically in the evenings, but might happen anytime. The frequency is such that it would be very unusual to be able to watch any single program without getting at least some disruptions.

Friday, a tecnician checked the signal in my house, and said it was marginally high and might be increasing above specification in the evenings due to the temperatures falling. He said the high signal would cause the type of problem I am having. They are supposed to have a maintenance technician check the signal at the street and adjust accordingly. However, they seem to be in no great hurry to complete this and I am getting very frustrated.

Please let me know if the above sounds correct; and if anyone has any suggestions that might be useful to pass along to Charter. Thank you.

If you remember the 70's...you weren't really there!
post #27 of 356 Old 04-18-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by porterhaus

Friday, a tecnician checked the signal in my house, and said it was marginally high and might be increasing above specification in the evenings due to the temperatures falling. He said the high signal would cause the type of problem I am having. They are supposed to have a maintenance technician check the signal at the street and adjust accordingly. However, they seem to be in no great hurry to complete this and I am getting very frustrated.

Please let me know if the above sounds correct; and if anyone has any suggestions that might be useful to pass along to Charter. Thank you.

This sounds right. I had the same situation and they made an adjustment at the pedestal in the street and it works fine.

My question is when Charter is going to get ABCHD? Comcast has it now. I don't understand why Charter can't work something out with Cox Comm also....
post #28 of 356 Old 04-19-2005, 05:26 AM

Thanks Coatie, they apparently adjusted the signal yesterday and last night it was much improved. However, there were still several disruptions. I will stay with this approach and see if they can get it completely cured. I agree with you about ABCHD. Also, I wonder why they do not have Discovery HD Theater and several other channels that others have. I will be glad to do whatever I can to prod them along...

post #29 of 356 Old 04-19-2005, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by porterhaus
Thanks Coatie, they apparently adjusted the signal yesterday and last night it was much improved. However, there were still several disruptions. I will stay with this approach and see if they can get it completely cured. I agree with you about ABCHD. Also, I wonder why they do not have Discovery HD Theater and several other channels that others have. I will be glad to do whatever I can to prod them along...

I have contacted Charter in Carrollton and ABC in Atlanta. Their contact information is as follows:

talk2us@wsbtv.com is the ABC affiliate in Atlanta

MWatkins@chartercom.com is the marketing guy in this area

Maybe they will be able to help us....
post #30 of 356 Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 AM

I will send them both a request for information regarding the lack of available HD programming. Unfortunately the poor reception issue I am having has reverted to the same level as it was before. I am quickly losing my patience and might have to give up Charter and go with an alternative provider. I wonder if the upcoming DirecTV systems (mpeg-4)will require two cables from the Dish to the receiver or just one. Anyone know?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page