Oklahoma City, OK - HDTV - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #961 of 1052 Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KOCO-DT news went HD this week.

Edit it is widescreen SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1052 Old 10-13-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefSooner View Post

KOCO-DT news went HD this week.

According to Wikipedia, it's widescreen SD, not HD.
post #963 of 1052 Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL1965 View Post

According to Wikipedia, it's widescreen SD, not HD.

It looks like streched SD to me on our two HDTVs...

"When all else fails, read the instructions..."

post #964 of 1052 Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Al View Post

It looks like streched SD to me on our two HDTVs...

It is..... They was doing it a few Years back in Los Angles market... I suggested it to the few I know in TV in OKC because I think it looks better Full Screen... Flip back & forth with Channel 4 News, HD is still the Best... But We know that... Question is do they ?
post #965 of 1052 Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
At least widescreen SD is a step in the right direction... still beats KWTV9 being stuck in 4:3-land... I'll continue watching KFOR's news in HD.

Still don't understand why the local affiliates don't record HD syndicated shows in HD and retransmit them in HD dammit! If i can do it in my home it seems they should be able to do it...
post #966 of 1052 Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

1. At least widescreen SD is a step in the right direction... still beats KWTV9 being stuck in 4:3-land... I'll continue watching KFOR's news in HD.

2. Still don't understand why the local affiliates don't record HD syndicated shows in HD and retransmit them in HD dammit! If i can do it in my home it seems they should be able to do it...

1. Plus No (5.1 Audio a must as well) with Shows like Hawaii Five-0 on KWTV 9 !!!!!

2. Houston Market has for syndicated in HD. Does Dallas yet ?
post #967 of 1052 Old 10-17-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post

1. Plus No (5.1 Audio a must as well) with Shows like Hawaii Five-0 on KWTV 9 !!!!!

2. Houston Market has for syndicated in HD. Does Dallas yet ?

Yes Dallas has HD syndication for a lot of shows such as tyler perry, Entertainment tonight, CSI MIAMI, Wheel of Fortune, Jepordy, Ellen, and more.
post #968 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Griffin stations in OKC and Tulsa launched new logos and HD newscast this morning.
post #969 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3381 Post(s)
Liked: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post

Griffin stations in OKC and Tulsa launched new logos and HD newscast this morning.

Yeah but the cheap b*****ds are still pumping 2.0 audio. Inexcusable!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #970 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yeah but the cheap b*****ds are still pumping 2.0 audio. Inexcusable!

I'm still not convinced that KOTV is broadcasting in HD. In 16:9 fullscreen? Yes. But the HD looks muddy, like SD upsampling or something. And why wouldn't you scream it from the rafters that your newscast is in HD? They haven't been. At least Griffin-Tulsa hasn't...
post #971 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Haven't seen it yet but they probly just went SD widescreen like ch5 ... will check the news tonight. After seeing Linda Cavanaugh in HD on ch4 Gary England likely nixed HD.
post #972 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Hi GWSat,

Sorry, but there was nothing cheap at all about what we did at KWTV. Dolby 5.1 is still in configuration mode.

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #973 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Ho BigOkie,

Tulsa is indeed 16:9 Standard Definition news production. However, we did go HD Master Control, and add HD syndicated programming and spot playback.

Enjoy!

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #974 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Hi Filtor,

Ha! Very funny. In fact, Gary, Michael, Matt, Jed & Stephanie were all huge proponents of going HD, and they worked quite hard developing the use of our new systems.

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #975 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 PM

>>>>John R. Schilberg
>>>>VP Technology
>>>>Griffin Communications

John:

Just wanted to thank you for posting the info here. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

I'm looking forward to 5.1 for those NFL broadcasts where you can't hear the announcers b/c of the muddled sound!

Robin in Norman
post #976 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschilberg View Post

Hi Filtor,

Ha! Very funny. In fact, Gary, Michael, Matt, Jed & Stephanie were all huge proponents of going HD, and they worked quite hard developing the use of our new systems.

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

Hi John - thanks for the updates (BTW - was just kidding about Gary) ... so you went HD master in Tulsa with HD spots and syndication -- what's status of same in OKC? Just flipped over and see Lets Make a Deal is SD - dunno if it's available HD but I've been a proponent of HD syndication replay for quite a while now because if I can do it at home it seems the affiliates should be able to as well (and yes I know it takes different/broadcast quality devices|components).
post #977 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Actually, my fine friends in crazy-about-video land,

The decision to "go" HD in OKC was reached in January 2010 and announced to staff in February. In the course of making those changes, here are some of the things we did:

- Installed completely new redundant WeatherCentral weather systems
- Added additional HD-SDI routing capacity
- Added Dolby 5.1 surround processing equipment
- Added Grass Valley K2 HD video servers to accommodate multiple channels of ingest and record
- Relocated Master Control operations and added completely new multi-screen display systems
- Upgraded OKC's existing Vizrt graphics systems with multi-user, multi-playout and shared database capabilities and changed from outdated Chyron to current Vizrt technology in Tulsa at KOTV & KQCW
- Added significant infrastructure processing and distribution capabilities
- Added HD tower camera
- Created, installed and implemented a new branding campaign to take us well into the future across all Griffin Media platforms

And guess what. We're just starting to rock! I'd suggest a seatbelt for your Lazy Boy!

All the best,

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #978 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Ho BigOkie,

Tulsa is indeed 16:9 Standard Definition news production. However, we did go HD Master Control, and add HD syndicated programming and spot playback.

Enjoy!

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

Any ballpark idea on HD news for KOTV? I had someone tell me it wouldn't happen until you moved to the new building (which I'm still not sure is happening) because 'there wasn't enough power to handle HD at the current location'.

Any truth to that you can impart?

Thanks for replying!
post #979 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

Any ballpark idea on HD news for KOTV? I had someone tell me it wouldn't happen until you moved to the new building (which I'm still not sure is happening) because 'there wasn't enough power to handle HD at the current location'.

Any truth to that you can impart?

Thanks for replying!

Hi BigOkie,

HD production in Tulsa is down the road, but not far.

The power you refer to would be adequate to do HD at the current location. But, you would have to change the studio lighting to LED instruments.

Best regards,

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #980 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Actually, my fine friends in crazy-about-video land,

The decision to "go" HD in OKC was reached in January 2010 and announced to staff in February. In the course of making those changes, here are some of the things we did:

- Installed completely new redundant WeatherCentral weather systems
- Added additional HD-SDI routing capacity
- Added Dolby 5.1 surround processing equipment
- Added Grass Valley K2 HD video servers to accommodate multiple channels of ingest and record
- Relocated Master Control operations and added completely new multi-screen display systems
- Upgraded OKC's existing Vizrt graphics systems with multi-user, multi-playout and shared database capabilities and changed from outdated Chyron to current Vizrt technology in Tulsa at KOTV & KQCW
- Added significant infrastructure processing and distribution capabilities
- Added HD tower camera
- Created, installed and implemented a new branding campaign to take us well into the future across all Griffin Media platforms

And guess what. We're just starting to rock! I'd suggest a seatbelt for your Lazy Boy!

All the best,

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

This is Very Good News... Thanks Griffin Communications... Thank You John for Your in House Information ... It makes for a good forum...
post #981 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got thru watching ET on ch9 for the first time in years - just because it was in HD...
post #982 of 1052 Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Hi GWSat,

Sorry, but there was nothing cheap at all about what we did at KWTV. Dolby 5.1 is still in configuration mode.

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John -- Thanks for your report, I appreciate it. My reference to cheapness stems from my observation that, even now, when KFOR (NBC), KOCO (ABC), KOCB (The CW), and KOKH (Fox) have been passing network 5.1 audio for years KWTW can't do it yet. That said, it is a relief to learn that Griffin is finally taking steps to bring KWTV's audio transmissions into the 21st Century. I know all of that was a management decision that you and your technical people had to live with but it doesn't mean I thought it was right.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #983 of 1052 Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:

John -- Thanks for your report, I appreciate it. My reference to cheapness stems from my observation that, even now, when KFOR (NBC), KOCO (ABC), KOCB (The CW), and KOKH (Fox) have been passing network 5.1 audio for years KWTW can't do it yet. That said, it is a relief to learn that Griffin is finally taking steps to bring KWTV's audio transmissions into the 21st Century. I know all of that was a management decision that you and your technical people had to live with but it doesn't mean I thought it was right.

Hi GWSat,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Your "even now" wont be much longer at all. The new 5.1 gear was recently installed along with all of our HD gear and is in final configuration and test. You ought to hear the results quite soon.

I'm curious how you might "...know all of that was a management decision...". My investigation of the 5.1 effort began when I arrived in December 2009. Your assumption, and/or the information you're basing that upon, is incorrect. In all honesty, I've never experienced a management team or owner with a stronger commitment to its viewers, listeners, readers or local community.

Stay tuned for the 5.1! I hope you'll enjoy it.

All the best,

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #984 of 1052 Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

I just got thru watching ET on ch9 for the first time in years - just because it was in HD...

Hi Filtor,

Ha! I know just what you mean! It looked quite nice, eh?

All the best,

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #985 of 1052 Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Hi GWSat,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Your "even now" wont be much longer at all. The new 5.1 gear was recently installed along with all of our HD gear and is in final configuration and test. You ought to hear the results quite soon.

I'm curious how you might "...know all of that was a management decision...". My investigation of the 5.1 effort began when I arrived in December 2009. Your assumption, and/or the information you're basing that upon, is incorrect. In all honesty, I've never experienced a management team or owner with a stronger commitment to its viewers, listeners, readers or local community.

Stay tuned for the 5.1! I hope you'll enjoy it.

All the best,

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications

John -- Thanks for your comprehensive explanation of where the matter stands. What I don't understand, though, is why KWTV has delayed until now adding the capability to pass CBS's 5.1 audio, although all four of the other local network affiliates have been doing it for years.

post #986 of 1052 Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:

John -- Thanks for your comprehensive explanation of where the matter stands. What I don't understand, though, is why KWTV has delayed until now adding the capability to pass CBS's 5.1 audio, although all four of the other local network affiliates have been doing it for years.

Hi GWSat,

We had some 5.1 success today, but I'm not sure we were able to completely skin the cat (I haven't checked my home system). We're tackling a number of workflow and routing issues. Don't misunderstand, it's going quite well. But, we have a list we're chipping away at and passing that elusive 5.1 metadata to the engine is listed along with the others. BTW, here's a link to the system we're employing:

http://www.miranda.com/product.php?id=152

We've opted to use the Linear Acoustics AEROMAX system.

As far as your delay-in-adopting-5.1 question, all I can say is the situation has changed. It was an internal matter that was rectified.

Thanks again for your interest in our programming and technologies. Maybe someday down the road I can arrange an AVS OKC Forum Night at KWTV and take you and the others on a tour. BUT, give us some time to slay a few more of our pesky dragons.

Best regards,

John

John R. Schilberg
VP Technology
Griffin Communications
post #987 of 1052 Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Hi GWSat,

We had some 5.1 success today, but I'm not sure we were able to completely skin the cat (I haven't checked my home system). We're tackling a number of workflow and routing issues. Don't misunderstand, it's going quite well. But, we have a list we're chipping away at and passing that elusive 5.1 metadata to the engine is listed along with the others. BTW, here's a link to the system we're employing:

http://www.miranda.com/product.php?id=152

We've opted to use the Linear Acoustics AEROMAX system.

As far as your delay-in-adopting-5.1 question, all I can say is the situation has changed. It was an internal matter that was rectified.

Thanks again for your interest in our programming and technologies. Maybe someday down the road I can arrange an AVS OKC Forum Night at KWTV and take you and the others on a tour. BUT, give us some time to slay a few more of our pesky dragons.

Best regards,

John

John -- Although KWTV's delay in getting around to passing CBS's 5.1 audio stream has made me impatient, I have very much appreciated your willingness to keep us abreast of developments. Also, it's good to know that the "internal matter" that led to the delay has now been "rectified." That is good news, indeed. Thanks.

post #988 of 1052 Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM

'It's about freaking time' is the phrase that comes to mind.

Thanks for all the input John & keep the improvements coming.

So anyone know when KOCO will step up?
post #989 of 1052 Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrett View Post

'It's about freaking time' is the phrase that comes to mind.

Thanks for all the input John & keep the improvements coming.

So anyone know when KOCO will step up?

KOCO has been passing ABC's 5.1 audio stream for a longtime. I don't know about KOCO's local programs because I rarely watch them.

post #990 of 1052 Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, 5.1 Audio on KWTV All the Time ... I am ready for Hawaii Five 0 Tonight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page