Oklahoma City, OK - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1039 Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will definitely be looking at that Tivo series 3 but is Cablecard 2.0 compliant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1039 Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM

It's been my experience that ABC/KOCO doesn't have a lot of HD programming yet. You might be trying to receive something when they aren't broadcasting any HD content.

For those that don't know the "antenna farm" is just south of Edmond and east of the Broadway Extension.
post #93 of 1039 Old 09-24-2006, 02:19 PM

Howdy all, it's been a while since I've posted (partially from computer issues)...

Using a hybrid OTA TV tuner for my Mac, I noticed the same issue with KOCO... it sees that a signal exists, but no signal strength. The other signals are at least 75% strength using a MegaWave (not amplified) indoor antenna in Norman.

We need to change the channel lineup:
-The WB exists as CW now
-Former UPN affiliate KAUT is now MyNetwork.

Speaking of KAUT, is it just me or does KAUT look horrible in digital? I didn't watch the station when it was a UPN affiliate, so I didn't notice it until recently. Even the "HDTV" (note the quotes) shows in weeknight prime time, Desire and Fashion House, are in 4:3 when the letterboxing suggests otherwise. It just looks like the KAUT crew is copying the analog signal to the digital signal...

I doubt I'll be able to get HD on cable (because of cost), but I still want to know: Does anybody know whether Cox will offer FSN or TNT in HD?
post #94 of 1039 Old 09-24-2006, 03:47 PM

I don't know about FSN HD, but Cox has had TNT-HD for several months now. I recently emailed them about ESPN2-HD and got the form letter reply about not planning on adding it, but I'm hoping that they're planning on adding some more HD this fall.

Steve V.
post #95 of 1039 Old 09-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am not sure that KAUT can do HD yet just digital.
post #96 of 1039 Old 09-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevvot View Post

I don't know about FSN HD, but Cox has had TNT-HD for several months now. I recently emailed them about ESPN2-HD and got the form letter reply about not planning on adding it, but I'm hoping that they're planning on adding some more HD this fall.

On my guide I'm now getting FSN HD as channel 740. However, it says "No Data Available". Hmmm..wonder how soon actualy FSN HD programming will get added? Having ESPN2 would def be nice, as would Nat'l Geographic HD and possibly A&E HD. I'm not holding my breath though for those. Is NFL Network offered in HD? I currently can't get it. Is it b/c I don't subscribe to a certain tier?
post #97 of 1039 Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 466
I saw that, too. I wonder what they are planning? Channel 740 appeared once before as NFL HD but then disappeared. I have no idea which game or games they will show on FSN HD. I checked to see it any programming information was up for tomorrow -- there wasn't any.
post #98 of 1039 Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Yep, I did the same. I went all the way out till next week and didn't see any programming. Guess we'll have to play the waiting game.
post #99 of 1039 Old 09-29-2006, 01:08 PM

Anyone been able to record from 34_1 (CW network) with mythtv?
post #100 of 1039 Old 09-29-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This just in to my mailbox from Cox OKC:

Quote:

September 29, 2006

Dear Valued Cox Customer,

As you know, Cox strives to provide you with a wide variety of programming choices, including
a growing number of high definition channels. Unfortunately, due to a decision by Hearst Argyle
Television, the parent company of KOCO (the local ABC affiliate), we may no longer be allowed
to carry the Channel 5 signal on high definition Channel 705. This will not affect continuing
broadcast of the KOCO signal on Channel 8.

The 1992 Cable Act passed by Congress says that local stations must grant permission for a
cable company to carry their local signals, including the regular over-the-air analog signal and
the high definition one. This is normally not a problem, but Hearst Argyle recently insisted that
Cox should begin paying millions of dollars to carry the HD signals for their various local affiliates
in several cities, including KOCO in Oklahoma City. Keep in mind that this is the same signal
carried for free over the airwaves and is free to Cox high definition customers.

The result of this situation would simply be unacceptable - higher costs to us and our subscribers.
We have negotiated with Hearst Argyle for some months concerning this issue, but unless they
extend their permission for us to carry the KOCO HD signal, that permission will expire at
midnight on October 1 and Channel 705 will no longer be part of the Cox HD lineup.

We will continue negotiations with Hearst Argyle, to resolve this matter in the best interests of our
subscribers. Thank you for choosing Cox; we'll keep you updated on this issue, and on our plans
to add new HD channels very soon.

Sincerely,
David Bialis, President
Cox Oklahoma

It certainly looks as if Hearst-Argyle, who own KOCO, are joining the other dog in the manger, Sinclair Broadcasting, who own many Fox affiliates. If this happens, I am going to buy a TiVo Series3 so I can see the HD programming that Cox can't carry any more.

So that no one misunderstand, I am entirely opposed to the policy of Hearst-Argyle and Sinclair to charge cable companies for their HD feeds. It appears to me to be naked greed, which would result in taking an extra pound of flesh from cable rate payers: you and me.
post #101 of 1039 Old 09-29-2006, 05:00 PM

So the contract ends on October 1 and they only let us know 2 days before that that KOCO could no longer be in HD? Not the best customer service on their part. Hopefully they reach some sort of agreement since I can't get KOCO OTA. Part of the reason I got my new TV was to watch Lost!!
post #102 of 1039 Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerronis View Post

So the contract ends on October 1 and they only let us know 2 days before that that KOCO could no longer be in HD? Not the best customer service on their part. Hopefully they reach some sort of agreement since I can't get KOCO OTA. Part of the reason I got my new TV was to watch Lost!!

Same here - no KOCO signal in Bethany and Lost is one of the best reasons for having an HDTV! The sad thing is, I'm such a sucker that I'd probably be willing to pony up an extra $5 a month or so to keep all the local affiliates on the HD side of the dial...
post #103 of 1039 Old 09-30-2006, 08:27 AM

Wow, I'm not liking what I'm reading. I have my first HDTV on order and should be getting it next weekend. One of biggest reasons for us finally taking the plunge is to watch the KOCO HD programming. Mainly Lost and football! I'm in Norman and have already installed my new antenna in the attic with hopes of getting all the locals OTA. I knew that if I couldn't get everything (KOCO), I could go with Cox as a last resort. Now that's out.

Can anyone tell me if they are able to get KOCO OTA in Norman (specifically NE Norman)?? If so what did you have to do/install to get it?? I hear so many different stories from people around OKC. Some get it just fine and some can't get anything.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
post #104 of 1039 Old 09-30-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just sent the following to KOCO's management:

Hearst-Argyle Management, Owner of KOCO TV, Oklahoma City -- I saw the unconvincing spin you have put on your company's insistence that Cox pay you for the privilege of carrying KOCO's HD feed, although you have historically provided it to Cox without charge. What you didn't say was that, every local network affiliate but Channel 25's owner, Sinclair Communications, makes no such charge. KOCO hasn't charged, either, until now. One wonders what your advertisers are paying for?

I no longer watch Channel 25 because I can't see Fox's HD feeds and now I won't watch ABC, either. Too bad but there it is. I will of course address my concerns to ABC in hopes that they might convince you to reconsider and rescind this unfortunate decision. At least Sinclair had the excuse of never having allowed Cox to carry its HD feeds without a charge. In stark contrast, you have provided your HD transmissions to Cox without charge but now have decided to change the rules in the middle of the game.

Those of us who have been paying attention understand that this dispute is the result of action you took. We also know that if Cox capitulates, its costs will be passed on to its customers.

I urge to reconsider this ill-advised decision.

Grey Satterfield
Oklahoma City

Copy to: ABC.com
post #105 of 1039 Old 09-30-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefSooner View Post

I will definitely be looking at that Tivo series 3 but is Cablecard 2.0 compliant?

This comes late, I know, but I just now saw your question. The CableCARD v.2.0 can be used in the TiVo S3 and one will do the work of two version 1.0 cards. Unfortunately, though, the S3 can't use the two-way communication capabilities of the version 2.0 card because of the S3's hardware limitations. As a matter of fact no CableCARD capable device currently on the market will be able to do so.

I haven't bought an S3 yet but I am considering it VERY seriously in light of Hearst-Argyle's decision to rescind its permission for Cox to carry KOCO's HD feed. All indications are that the S3's ATSC tuner is outstanding and that one can go from a cable channel to an OTA channel or vice versa seamlessly.
post #106 of 1039 Old 09-30-2006, 04:57 PM

Historically I've been against Sinclair in thier attempts to get Cox to cave to their charges, but now that ABC is likely to go away, I'm afraid that the writing is on the wall, and that other station owners will follow suit over the next couple of years. In light of that, I've sent the following email to Cox executives:

"Hi,

I wanted to let you know how frustrated I am with the impending drop of KOCO's HD signal from the Cox Oklahoma City market. The same frustration has been here regarding the KOKH HD signal owned by Sinclair as well. The way I see it as a paying customer, Cox has only two options in order to keep my dollars every month.

1. Provide a 'locals in HD' tier for $5 or so as an option for your HD customers, which would allow you to satisfy the station owners who want to get paid for their HD signal.

2. Provide DVR equipment that has the dual cable TV tuners like now, but also has an OTA tuner to pickup local broadcasts.

If KOCO's ABC HD signal is dropped this weekend, I see my only choices as going with the Tivo Series 3 HD DVR with Cablecard capability, or going with Dish network, which allows OTA recording in addition to their satellite HD channels. I do not really want to do either of these, since the Tivo is very expensive and I'm very happy with my Cox tri-bundle and don't want to go satellite, but given the sports and primetime programming that ABC-HD offers, I will definitely be leaving Cox if this isn't resolved. Again, the easiest/cheapest solution for me and I'm sure the rest of your HD customers would be to make HD locals in their own tier for $5 or so...I'd gladly pay that instead of making the switch.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and good luck in getting these negotiations resolved."

Steve V.
post #107 of 1039 Old 10-01-2006, 06:37 AM

I too would be willing to pay an extra $5 a month for locals. When HD locals come to D* and E* in the OKC DMA then you would also have to pay extra for them. I agree that the writing is on the wall and I expect KWTV and KFOR will follow suit. I might consider going with E* anyways once they start carrying our HD Locals - their HD line-up is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuerm View Post

Wow, I'm not liking what I'm reading. I have my first HDTV on order and should be getting it next weekend. One of biggest reasons for us finally taking the plunge is to watch the KOCO HD programming. Mainly Lost and football! I'm in Norman and have already installed my new antenna in the attic with hopes of getting all the locals OTA. I knew that if I couldn't get everything (KOCO), I could go with Cox as a last resort. Now that's out.

Can anyone tell me if they are able to get KOCO OTA in Norman (specifically NE Norman)?? If so what did you have to do/install to get it?? I hear so many different stories from people around OKC. Some get it just fine and some can't get anything.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

I'm south of Hwy 9 and my amplfied rabbit ears won't pick up KOCO. That's not to say that you can't get it from your antenna you installed in your attic. One poster over at HDTV OK ( http://www.hdtvok.com/2006/09/29/cox-may-drop-koco-dt ) lives on the NE side and can pick it up just fine, so you might be in luck.
post #108 of 1039 Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 PM

I'm south of Hwy 9 and my amplfied rabbit ears won't pick up KOCO. That's not to say that you can't get it from your antenna you installed in your attic. One poster over at HDTV OK lives on the NE side and can pick it up just fine, so you might be in luck.[/quote]

Thanks. It sounds like it is extremely hit or miss in Norman. I'll let people know my luck next weekend when I give it a try.
post #109 of 1039 Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerronis View Post

I too would be willing to pay an extra $5 a month for locals.

Count me as one who would NOT be willing to pay. I think it is outragous for them to charge extra for the HD..
Thankfully i live in Tulsa, and we don't seem to have that issue yet.

I was wondering how this was going to effect the OU/Texas game.
post #110 of 1039 Old 10-04-2006, 05:14 PM

I live in Norman and I am able to pick up every OKC OTA HD channel, including KOCO, at about 75-85% with a pair of old rabbit ears. The problem I am having is that when the action goes fast, the picture struggles and it appears to be jerky even though it is still in full HD.

What is the problem here? Would an amplified antenna cure this rather than using a pair of $5 RCA rabbit ears? What do I need to do?

Please help! I want to watch sports in HD!
post #111 of 1039 Old 10-04-2006, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why should cable customers need to pay for a signal that is free over the air.

ajwees41
post #112 of 1039 Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Live in Moore. No buildings or anything close to obstruct view. Antennaweb lists the stations in the south/southeast direction. Need advice on which antenna to get. Code shows yellow antenna. Live just east of I-35, between bryant and sunnylane.

"You're not the contents of your wallet. Your'e not your ****ing khakis!"

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
post #113 of 1039 Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM

Just keep on 'em at Hearst Argyle...let's get this OKC-Omaha connection to get them to quit screwing us!!
post #114 of 1039 Old 10-05-2006, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[quote=rvanya]Live in Moore. No buildings or anything close to obstruct view. Antennaweb lists the stations in the south/southeast direction. Need advice on which antenna to get. Code shows yellow antenna. Live just east of I-35, between bryant and sunnylane.[/QUOTE

If you are in Moore the transmitters are along the turnpike in Edmond. You need to point your antenna north.
post #115 of 1039 Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

That is what I figured. But for some reason, the map on antennaweb shows to point the antenna south/southeast. Weird! I have heard that sometimes the website is less than accurate. I'll try both.

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
post #116 of 1039 Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
rvanya - I just responded to your post in the Reception Hardware forum suggesting you post here - but you already have!!
And your antennaweb results (you posted them in the other forum) show all the stations at 348 to 350 degrees or so, almost due north - where did you get the southeast direction from??
post #117 of 1039 Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Dumb I guess. I was looking at the black line that was pointing down and to the right so I thought that where the towers were.

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
post #118 of 1039 Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Check that. I actually looked at the wrong line. My attention has apparently been off today. Sorry and thanks for the quick responses. I'll let you know if I have any trouble.

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
post #119 of 1039 Old 10-09-2006, 06:17 PM

I have an over the air antenna in my attic and receive all of the OKC stations. I live at 122nd and may. Last nite I stopped getting 5-1 KOCO. I live 4-5 miles from the antennas and have been receiving it for a year and I am still receiving all of the other HD stations in OKC. Has anyone else had this problem in the last 24 hrs. I dont know if it is a station problem or my problem. thanks for the help
post #120 of 1039 Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiehn View Post

I have an over the air antenna in my attic and receive all of the OKC stations. I live at 122nd and may. Last nite I stopped getting 5-1 KOCO. I live 4-5 miles from the antennas and have been receiving it for a year and I am still receiving all of the other HD stations in OKC. Has anyone else had this problem in the last 24 hrs. I dont know if it is a station problem or my problem. thanks for the help

Yes, KOCO's transmitter was down on Sunday and part of Monday. Not sure if its up now b/c I obviously can't it thru Cox.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page