Oklahoma City, OK - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1039 Old 01-25-2007, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I might have seen that pic on that forum, maybe not.

link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1039 Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
here's a good link for ya:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VEF4dNMtxm4
post #183 of 1039 Old 01-26-2007, 05:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

here's a good link for ya:

I was in my car when that call played on the air I about lost it! Surely that was staged, as there is NO WAY something that funny happened by chance Traber was still laughing 10 minutes later!
post #184 of 1039 Old 01-26-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Incredible! I like the Sports Animal guys, albeit in small doses, but I had missed that one. Poor old Dean Blevins was clearly strung out on pain medication and didn't comprehend that he was on the air. I didn't understand his reference to Grant Burget, which made it sound like Burget had died. Burget was an OU running back in the 70s, who, the last I knew, was alive and well and living in OKC. Anyway, the audio clip was fun. Thanks!
post #185 of 1039 Old 01-27-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall hearing any weathermen predict snow.....two botched weekend forecasts in a row! Course this will all melt on contact.
post #186 of 1039 Old 02-10-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 687
anyone have an idea of what channels cox will add next to there hd setup. i get hd ota right know and i can't justify getting the cox hd package for channels i really won't watch (the only real channel i might watch would be espn)...
post #187 of 1039 Old 02-11-2007, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Cox carries both ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD. They also have the Fox Sports and NFL Network HD feeds. I understand that Cox is also getting ready to carry the Golf Channel HD. All of that is almost indispensable for sports fans who have HD, it seems to me.
post #188 of 1039 Old 02-11-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I would love to see them add NGC HD! I doubt if Discovery Science is HD on any carrier right now...

gwsat,

amazingly the Dean clip is gone from youtube.
post #189 of 1039 Old 02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I never did figure out what the Dean clip was all about. Perhaps if I spent more time listening to the Sports Animal - never mind.
post #190 of 1039 Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 AM

Does anyone know why 704 (NBC) disappeared off Cox. I'm picking it up at 84.1 now.
post #191 of 1039 Old 02-18-2007, 07:50 PM

Help please, I have fade out with channel 9.1

The signal strength meter on my Toshiba fluctuates between 82-88%. But the picture fades out and I loose sound occasionally. It fades momentarily about once every one or two minutes.

I am using an outdoor antenna mounted in the attic. A radio shack VU-90 XR. According to Antennaweb both channel 9.1 and 4.1 are 10 miles away in the same direction. Channel 4.1 and the rest of my HD channels come in perfectly without any fade out. I don't get why I can receive channel 4.1 perfectly and not 9.1 given the same distance and direction from my home. Weird.

Originally when I installed the antenna I had installed a pre-amp but I did not get any increased signal strength and all the channels looked great. So I returned the preamp to radio shack. I just noticed the fade out problems with channel 9.1 this month. Will the preamp solve this problem?

Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem or is it a broadcast problem with channel 9?
post #192 of 1039 Old 02-19-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I get all the stations from OKC on Antenna in a fringe area. 9.1 must be having more problems again.... I has been doing the same here...
post #193 of 1039 Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Did anyone notice the 'snow' (for lack of a better term) on NBC last night (Heroes)? I noticed it on NBC back when I first got my hdtv but haven't seen it in a while. What the heck is it?
post #194 of 1039 Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Inside sources tell me that Cox is in negotiations with whoever owns A&E, Food Network and one other channel that I don't remember. These will be their next HD channels added to the lineups.

As requested...75U is here :)
post #195 of 1039 Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 AM

They NEED to ad Golf channel HD before any of those
post #196 of 1039 Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 AM

The Golf channel isn't all that requested. It's probably about 5 or 6 on the list. Everyone who wants it needs to call Cox and request it. The Golf channel is also an upconverted signal so I don't know if that makes a difference.

HG and Food are put on hold. One channel should be releasing in the next month or so, but it can't be leaked yet. I will let you know when I know something though.

post #197 of 1039 Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 PM

I'm pretty much HD ignorant but I'm starting to get a better picture of it --- slowly. I live in Choctaw, about 14 miles from the antennas at most, and I have DirecTV service, which also provides my local channels. The equipment I have is an SD DVR and an SD 3 LNB dish. I recently purchased an HD projector and would like to watch some HD programming, but I'm not sure what I need to do.

Antennaweb has my antenna type as 'yellow' for all the channels except one, which is 'violet'.
My projector does not have a tuner.

This is what I think I need to do so far, please advise if you can....

1. From what I've read, in order for me to receive HD signals, I need an antenna and a tuner, correct?
2. I plan on installing the antenna in my attic, any suggestions on the antenna?
3. I'll need a tuner, any suggestions on that?
4. Can I split the signal from the antenna to the projector and another display or will I need to amplify it in some way?
5. I'm guessing I'll need at least two seperate inputs to my projector, one from the antenna and one from the satellite?
6. Can the antenna go through my A/V receiver and keep it's HD signal or do I need to connect it directly to my projector?
7. I'm guessing the cable carrying the signal from the antenna is coax, but I've got no coax input to my projector, what can I do here?
8. Is there any other way for me to receive HD signals??

Thanks for the input
post #198 of 1039 Old 03-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droff View Post

I'm pretty much HD ignorant but I'm starting to get a better picture of it --- slowly. I live in Choctaw, about 14 miles from the antennas at most, and I have DirecTV service, which also provides my local channels. The equipment I have is an SD DVR and an SD 3 LNB dish. I recently purchased an HD projector and would like to watch some HD programming, but I'm not sure what I need to do.

Antennaweb has my antenna type as 'yellow' for all the channels except one, which is 'violet'.
My projector does not have a tuner.

This is what I think I need to do so far, please advise if you can....

1. From what I've read, in order for me to receive HD signals, I need an antenna and a tuner, correct?
2. I plan on installing the antenna in my attic, any suggestions on the antenna?
3. I'll need a tuner, any suggestions on that?
4. Can I split the signal from the antenna to the projector and another display or will I need to amplify it in some way?
5. I'm guessing I'll need at least two seperate inputs to my projector, one from the antenna and one from the satellite?
6. Can the antenna go through my A/V receiver and keep it's HD signal or do I need to connect it directly to my projector?
7. I'm guessing the cable carrying the signal from the antenna is coax, but I've got no coax input to my projector, what can I do here?
8. Is there any other way for me to receive HD signals??

Thanks for the input

1. Yes, you must purchase a off air tuner set top box.

2. A large element antenna from Lowes, Home Depot, or Radio Shack. Also, Terk makes a good antenna but are a little more expensive.

3. Not sure which one I would recommend. I will defer this to someone else.

4. You can probably split it. Sometimes it will make the signal to weak. I would recommend getting a second transformer and running directly off the antenna.

5 and 6. The set top box hooks up like a dvd or satellite box. If you have an A/V receiver and are component switching your dvd and satellite box, do the same with the tuner.

7. The coax runs from antenna to tuner. Then component video to display.

8. No, satellite is not offering local HD in OK yet. I would still recommend using an antenna even if they did though.
post #199 of 1039 Old 03-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the input.

What do you mean by another transformer? I guess there is one transformer with the antenna?
Should I be using a powered antenna?
post #200 of 1039 Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input.

What do you mean by another transformer? I guess there is one transformer with the antenna?
Should I be using a powered antenna?

No, you do not need a powered antenna. Just a large multi-element antenna. The transformer is the piece between the antenna and the coaxial cable. Most antennas have room for a second transformer and you should be able to buy a second transformer pretty cheap.
post #201 of 1039 Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 PM

I picked up a Samsung H260F tuner and connected the output directly to my projector (component). I am using a Philips Silver Sensor Classic antenna just sitting in my living room for right now.
A few of the channels I'm getting do look better, but not by a whole lot, nothing really jumps out except for the PBS station. The displayed picture is considerably smaller going through the tuner than it is coming from my sat receiver, except for the PBS station. What gives? I have the tuner set for 720p, which is what my projector is.
I do not have any sound either. I've connected the analog audio out jacks (red & white) to the input on my receiver, but I'm not getting anything. Yes, I set the receiver to the correct input.
Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks.
post #202 of 1039 Old 03-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I picked up a Samsung H260F tuner and connected the output directly to my projector (component). I am using a Philips Silver Sensor Classic antenna just sitting in my living room for right now.
A few of the channels I'm getting do look better, but not by a whole lot, nothing really jumps out except for the PBS station. The displayed picture is considerably smaller going through the tuner than it is coming from my sat receiver, except for the PBS station. What gives? I have the tuner set for 720p, which is what my projector is.
I do not have any sound either. I've connected the analog audio out jacks (red & white) to the input on my receiver, but I'm not getting anything. Yes, I set the receiver to the correct input.
Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks.

Are you getting all of the atsc channels? 4.1, 5.1, 9.1, etc.

Also, during the day, most stations don't broadcast HD. A couple soaps, but PBS is the only station I believe that broadcasts HD during the day consistently.

Most stations broadcast HD at around 7 pm. After the news but in time for your sitcoms and sporting events.

Not sure about the audio yet. You want to use the digital out if possible anyway. It should have either a digital coax or fiber optic. Connect this to the AV receiver and assign the digital input to the desired input on receiver.
post #203 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 AM

I live in norman and was curious if anyone knows what channels COX sends out as unencrypted QAM?

Thanks
post #204 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavex View Post

I live in norman and was curious if anyone knows what channels COX sends out as unencrypted QAM?

Thanks

I believe only NBC and CBS. The do not offer ABC or FOX period, although they may have added PBS.
post #205 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Quick question guys. I am about to buy a Plasma TV and currently only have a LCD projo monitor. I have been getting everything ready for when I get the TV like rerunning cables and such.

I decided to install an HD antenna. I have it all hooked up and working, but on my current TV it will not pull in certain channels in analog. I realize it won't pull in HD, but I wanted to test it to make sure it was up and working.

My question is this....

If I'm not getting all the analog channels, will I get all the digital channels. Obviously I may have to do some adjustments, but is it easier to get the digital channels than the analog?

So say I am not getting the CBS analog feed, does that automatically mean I won't be pulling in the digital feed either?

I hope you understand the question.

Thanks in advance.

post #206 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Zavex:

I do get the digital signals for cbs and nbc as well as nbc's local weather channel. I also get all 4-5 OETA digital channels along with CW digital (pretty much all the local digital channels I can pull in with my OTA antenna besides abc and fox). There are however 5.1 and 5.2 digital channels which are the ABC digital channels on OTA, but they only come through at ~65% signal strength. I think this is due to being run through 2 splitters before coming to my small hd set in the office. I also pull in a TON of digital shopping channels??? NONE of the channels I pull in with QAM through cox look hd except for OETA and I think all the digital channels are 480 NOT 720/1080 (even when the locals are broadcasting in HD)

TJK:

I don't have a strong signal w/ analog channels, but the digital ones come in >90% signal strength (except 5.1 and 5.2).

ps
I live in Midwest City

Edit: I just checked and for sure I get all the local channels digital signal, PBS, WGN, and the CW plus a few more... and a bunch of shopping channels. They are ALL 480i, too
post #207 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 04:15 PM

SA,

I get the 4.1, 5.1, 25.1, etc., channels. I had audio last night, I just didn't realize it. My receiver was set at a level we usually use but I had to double the volume just to hear a normal level using the RCA plugs (red & white). Fortunately my receiver goes to ELEVEN. I connected a digital audio cable and the audio is fine, so I think that issue is resolved. Maybe the selected video output affects the audio output? Not sure.
I'm still seeing a smaller picture on the channels other than OETA. I can select LB, Full or Zoom, but it still doesn't give me the size I get with the Dish Receiver and the projector. The picture is good, but it just isn't as big. Antenna? Probably not.....
I mounted the antenna in the attic and ran RG6QS to the tuner, using component from there.
I'll let you know if anything changes.
Thanks for the help.
post #208 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 06:37 PM

HOLY CRAP! As you stated, HD broadcasts start at 7:00 and it looks pretty awesome! One helluva picture. The display went to where it should be in regards to size and I have no problems so far. I wasn't real hip on dropping $225 for a tuner and an antenna, but the picture looks so good it isn't near as painful now.
post #209 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:

SA,

I get the 4.1, 5.1, 25.1, etc., channels. I had audio last night, I just didn't realize it. My receiver was set at a level we usually use but I had to double the volume just to hear a normal level using the RCA plugs (red & white). Fortunately my receiver goes to ELEVEN. I connected a digital audio cable and the audio is fine, so I think that issue is resolved. Maybe the selected video output affects the audio output? Not sure.
I'm still seeing a smaller picture on the channels other than OETA. I can select LB, Full or Zoom, but it still doesn't give me the size I get with the Dish Receiver and the projector. The picture is good, but it just isn't as big. Antenna? Probably not.....
I mounted the antenna in the attic and ran RG6QS to the tuner, using component from there.
I'll let you know if anything changes.
Thanks for the help.

When you say you are getting a smaller picture, what are you getting?

Are you getting Full screen on OETA, but side bars on other channels?

Have you tried these channels during primetime?

Some tuners will not stretch off air locals. Not sure about yours but you should get full widescreen on local channels from 7 - 10pm and a few show after the 10 news like Leno and Letterman.

Sounds like we are getting close.
post #210 of 1039 Old 03-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Hard to describe smaller other than it isn't near as wide and it is shorter.
Yes, I would say I'm getting full screen on OETA and side bars on the other channels.
Primetime seems to solve this issue with a few exceptions. We watched American Idol in widescreen and Boston Legal is showing up that way as well.
Is it just primetime when they broadcast in HD? That seems odd. Right now, I'm pretty happy with the setup, I just need one more optical cable.

I would like to split this signal at some point, what do I need to do to keep the signal level up? I'm going to need another tuner at some point unless I go with an HDTV, but right now I just want to get the signal distributed.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page