Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 407 Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

Now a few questions to narrow your issue.

Before the "rescan" after the transition were all your OTA HD channels available? (Except maybe CW 18 or others that might have moved/added channels after the official transition?) If the answer is YES... then you might be able to manually add those channels back if the TV has an "ADD Channel" feature (doesn't require a complete rescan).

The only other issue is if you "rescanned" using a Cable or Antenna setting. If you didn't use the correct setting the available channels would be wrong.

Keep us posted.

Thank you for the quick reply.

All of the channels were available, but i constantly got a weak signal with mptv, cbs, and abc. When i go through the missing channels, nothing is listed as say 58-1 or 12-1. Its like high numbers such as 107, 117, and 120. I have no idea which one represents cbs, abc, and mptv.

I just reset the tv to factory settings and did a scan choosing auto. It still has not picked up cbs, abc, or mptv. Its very frustrating and I want the cbs hd for this weekend to see a football game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 407 Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Depending where you are located... had you tried a set of rabbit ears or a set top bow tie or UHF loop to see if you could "bypass" your Cable provider's poor locals package? ("Old School" antennas like that can probably be had for less then $10 at various stores... they are rather common at some Thrift/Goodwill locations... if you don't already have any at home OR you don't want to make one from scratch.)

Living in the West Bend area (Northern Washington County)... I've been able to get CBS 58 rather patchy with a cheap UHF/VHF set top antenna. With my FULL SIZE antenna I'm getting most of the majors except for TMJ 4 (NBC) and 24 (MyTV?).

I primarily use DirecTV for my locals and "Cable" packages... just use OTA for the sub channels,when my DVR (Microsoft UltimateTV) is busy recording other programs, or when I want the HD picture. (I don't have HD Service yet.)

If your Cable provider is offering locals then you might inquire with them about why you aren't getting channel X and what you might need to do to get it, if it's OTA and you were by chance getting it to "piggy back" on the Cable Service Lines... then your best bet might be to setup an RF Switch and connect an antenna and cable to your TV.

I have seen Philips set top antennas (like an SDV2510) with a built in RF Switch... otherwise Radio Shack also carries manual and Remote Controlled A/B RF Switches.
post #303 of 407 Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 PM

For some reason, just one of my TV's does not receive any sound on channel 58-1 -- picture comes in fine.

The TV is a Panasonic TH-50PX60U. I have no problems on this TV with any other channels -- even 58-2 and 58-3 come in fine (although I guess they're on another frequency). Nor do I have any problems with any of the other TVs or receiver boxes in my house.

I live about 70 miles NW of Milwaukee, but the signal for the channel shows at about 80-90%.

What else could be wrong?
post #304 of 407 Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

That is an interesting question. If your TV allows you to "Add" a channel without doing a FULL Scan... You could attempt to Remove/Add 58.1 (and probably all it's Sub-Channels) and see if that resolves it. (Otherwise a FULL scan might provide some insight.)

Another thought might be to "report" the issue directly to CBS 58 ( http://www.cbs58.com/ ) . Their Engineering department might have "tweaked" something in the Signal that your TV doesn't like for some reason.

This might be impractical but have to attempted to rule out bad cables or connections with the "Bad" TV? If possible you might try and use an alternative OTA source (Set Top Antenna or an extra long run or move the TV) to verify something isn't wrong with your existing feed.

I know during the Digital transition I had issue with 18.1 (at it's RF 61/59? location) where a converter box had no problem getting it on that feed but my TV couldn't see it... same with 10.1 (RF 8) my TV was having issues while all the other feeds in the house seemed fine. It is possible that my setup (I use DirecTV and "share" some of the lines with my DirecTV units and OTA) is somehow "blocking" a clean signal in some instances.

Keep us posted.
post #305 of 407 Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Sorry about replying so late. I'm still working on this, I will keep you posted.
post #306 of 407 Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Hey, I'm new here, and I've got a question that's been bugging me lately.

I just got a new Samsung HDTV. I have standard Time Warner Cable, and I get the basic HD channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.) However, I do not get any of the ESPN HD channels. I thought ESPN HD channels were not premium channels, and they came with most standard cable packages. Am I incorrect in that? So, my question is, what do I have to do to get the ESPN HD channels?

I live in Germantown, very close to Milwaukee, if that helps at all.
post #307 of 407 Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Update regarding my issue with 58.1: I finally found a way to verify that my problem is not in the cables. I connected the cable to another unit, and it receives sound quite comfortably. I'm checking with the TV manufacturer and the network next.
post #308 of 407 Old 12-31-2009, 01:56 PM

So, it turns out that my TV was set to the wrong SAP, making me feel rather stupid.

In my defense, however, I replaced the original remote with a programmable universal remote to reduce clutter on my coffee table, and the new remote didn't have a button for SAP. The SAP on my TV can only be switched by using the button on the remote, it's not available in the menu.

Also kudos to the engineers at CBS 58 for 1) coming up with an answer to my problem even though it's not really his job and 2) somehow reading my mind and knowing I had a Panasonic TH-series without my telling him. Apparently there is a firmware issue with those TVs and SAP, although that wasn't exactly my problem.
post #309 of 407 Old 01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear CBS 58 was able to help you out.

Those TV Signal Engineers actually do want/need to get feedback from the users. How else do they know issues with Panasonic TH-series TVs and the like?

Sometimes the problem IS the TV and/or the Signal. Two things that are easily overlooked.
post #310 of 407 Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSage049 View Post

I have standard Time Warner Cable, and I get the basic HD channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.) However, I do not get any of the ESPN HD channels. ......what do I have to do to get the ESPN HD channels?

The standard analog package will get you channels 2-99 (analog signals). They are also required to provide you with 'clear QAM' versions of the local broadcast stations, which is why you can get the HD signals for 4, 6, 12, etc.

You'll need to upgrade to a digital/HD package to get ESPN and other channels in HD.
post #311 of 407 Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, I live in Lake Geneva, WI. But I'm pretty sure TW service in my area is out of Milwaukee.
I just got TW cable with a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC.
I used to have Comcast with a Motorolla box.
This new box is HORRIBLE! The response is SLOW and the interface and controls are awkward and crippled. Has anyone else had any better luck with this box or a different box I should ask for?!
post #312 of 407 Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 PM

I was redirected here for answers.

HERE
is the link to TV Fool for my address and stations I can get.

About a year ago I purchased THIS antenna from tips on this very forum. Now I have upgraded my home theater with a HTPC. I am still using the same antenna but get very little if any channels through my Hauppauge 1600.

Here's my previous thread post quoted:

Quote:

I have been fighting with this card since I first turned my new HTPC on. The issue I have is I have a non-powered rooftop antenna this one HERE and the TV gets all the channels I need but the HTPC gets only a few if any. I have the RG6 split to both units of course.The splitter is a basic Radio Shack one, nothing special. I am convinced I need either a better antenna or a RF Amplifier/splitter. I am not too familiar with amplifiers so I have few questions. If I decide this is the route I want to go should this be place down the line of the RG6 cable close to the TV/HTPC? Or should it be placed closer to the antenna. The run of cable to the viewing area is about 40+ ft.

One thing I should add is the only way I can get ANY channels on the PC is if I run it directly to it without splitting.

Or should I keep splitting them and go with a better power antenna?

Thanks in advance!

TJ

LINK if you want to see what others said.
post #313 of 407 Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post

I was redirected here for answers.

HERE
is the link to TV Fool for my address and stations I can get.

About a year ago I purchased THIS antenna from tips on this very forum. Now I have upgraded my home theater with a HTPC. I am still using the same antenna but get very little if any channels through my Hauppauge 1600.

Here's my previous thread post quoted:

LINK if you want to see what others said.

TV Fool doesn't list your address.....just zip code. What is the nearest intersection to your house?

* HDA-5700 main unit
* Multi-directional base
* Wall mounting packages (plastic pole & screws)
* Pole mounting kit (U type screws & butterfly washers)
* Coaxial Cable (10ft)
* Power inserter
* AC Adapter
* Operation Manual

Based on the information on the antenna it "is" a powered amplified antenna. Many of these antennas only function properly (using the term loosely) when they have powered applied, but, in your situation (based on location) an amplified antenna will cause more harm than good. Too much signal (tuner overload) is just as bad as not enough signal. Your best bet would be to use an appropriate outdoor (unamplified) antenna and a good high quality splitter.

Still interested in the location.......
post #314 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

TV Fool doesn't list your address.....just zip code. What is the nearest intersection to your house?

* HDA-5700 main unit
* Multi-directional base
* Wall mounting packages (plastic pole & screws)
* Pole mounting kit (U type screws & butterfly washers)
* Coaxial Cable (10ft)
* Power inserter
* AC Adapter
* Operation Manual

Based on the information on the antenna it "is" a powered amplified antenna. Many of these antennas only function properly (using the term loosely) when they have powered applied, but, in your situation (based on location) an amplified antenna will cause more harm than good. Too much signal (tuner overload) is just as bad as not enough signal. Your best bet would be to use an appropriate outdoor (unamplified) antenna and a good high quality splitter.

Still interested in the location.......

20th & Carpenter (2 blocks South of Layton)

The "power" is a small plug with a small box about 3/4" x 1-1/2" that the RG6 plugs in one end and comes out as a much smaller wire (about14-16 gauge) on the other end.

I have contemplated relocating this antenna to the north outside wall of my house. That wall happens to be that same wall my TV is on. This way I will be cutting the length down by a third to a half it's distance. I would hate to go through this trouble to find the difference may be minimal to no change.

Did you read any of the replies in that other post? the reason I ask is I also have a large tree that my antenna is pointing right at about 40-50' away. Not sure if that hinders any signals.

Any suggestions on splitters/antennas/amplifiers.

Thanks for you help.
post #315 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Your signal level should not be a problem. Have you got an old pair of rabbit ears or a UHF loop you can plug in to that PC receiver and see what you get? Or even just a piece of wire 12" or so long.

That powered antenna you have does need to have the power supply connected. Trying to use it without the built-in amplifier powered will likely give you lower signal strength than you would get with an passive antenna.

That tree could be giving you some multipath interference, but multipath usually does not manifest itself as a complete signal loss.
post #316 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfram View Post

Your signal level should not be a problem. Have you got an old pair of rabbit ears or a UHF loop you can plug in to that PC receiver and see what you get? Or even just a piece of wire 12" or so long.

That powered antenna you have does need to have the power supply connected. Trying to use it without the built-in amplifier powered will likely give you lower signal strength than you would get with an passive antenna.

That tree could be giving you some multipath interference, but multipath usually does not manifest itself as a complete signal loss.

Okay, so lets say I move the antenna closer to TV/PC. Then I buy a better splitter, maybe one with a amplifier of some sorts. Then I split the signal either before the amp that came with the antenna or if I use a better amp/splitter should I even use that one that comes with antenna? I guess trial and error is the approach from here out. Also by moving antenna I will be pointing it upwards beneath that tree as apposed to directly at it when on the roof.

Would an antenna like THIS be good

Otherwise here is the setup I was thinking with

Sorry for crude drawing (at work right now)

Using one of these to split it.

Any suggestions?
post #317 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Okay, so lets say I move the antenna closer to TV/PC. Then I buy a better splitter, maybe one with a amplifier of some sorts. Then I split the signal either before the amp that came with the antenna or if I use a better amp/splitter should I even use that one that comes with antenna? I guess trial and error is the approach from here out. Also by moving antenna I will be pointing it upwards beneath that tree as apposed to directly at it when on the roof.

A little education about amplifiers.......
1). They amplify everything, including any noise making devices within the antennas vicinity. Noise making devices include, tv, cell phone, vcr, pc, cordless phone, neighbors devices emitting RF garbage. All of these can wipe out reception of one channel or many. Poorly made amplified antennas with it's built in impedance mismatches can wreak havoc with reception. Poorly made splitters can also introduce mismatches that can affect one channel or many as well. Amplified antennas are not normally required when one lives close to the transmitting location. All you end up doing is over amplifying the already strong signals to the point of overloading the front end of the tuner. Also these antennas don't normally pass RF very well unless you plug them in.
I'm on the south end of Oak Creek and currently use a Channelmaster 4228 which receives all channels extremely well including low power 41-1 (rf channel 13) and 63-1 (rf channel 17). The antenna is mounted in an attic.

2). Get a good "passive" antenna with sufficient gain for your location and a quality splitter. Digitenna antennas are highly recommended (although I haven't tested them personally) http://www.digitenna.com
They are currently working on online distribution of their products but I think they are available online from other various vendors.

3). Other factors. Multipath (reflected signals from the same source arriving at your antenna at a later time). New receivers do a good job of minimizing the effect of multipath but if you receive a marginal signal to begin with outside influences (trees, wind, rain, snow, atmospheric conditions, adjacent market interference) can be detrimental to reception. Again, a good passive antenna with sufficient gain should do a good job. It's important to capture a quality signal across the entire TV band (of channels required - Hi-VHF & UHF).

Quote:

Would an antenna like THIS be good

Sorry....that just looks scary!
post #318 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

Sorry....that just looks scary!

Thanks for the tips. I guess I am most concerned about the PC's lack of reception. The TV although having occasional cut outs on some channels especially 49 is pretty good as is. I will look into these antennas. I do still have an old antenna in my attic from the previous owner. It still has the 2 wires coming off it. I used an adapter to covert to RG6 but I had NO CHANNELS with it. This is why decided to go rooftop.
post #319 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That just all seems weird. You're orders of magnitude closer to Milwaukee than me (we're in Watertown) and I've had good success pulling in Milwaukee and most Madison stations with 3 different antennas, one being a Radio Shack stick antenna in the attic.

I recently upgraded to a Philips monster that I got from Menards because the wife just crawls out of her skin if there is pixelization on her shows, while it doesn't really bother me that much. I even had to ditch an amplifier with the new antenna. It's being fed into an 8 way amplified switch and then out to various TVs, an HDHomerun and 2 USB tuners.
post #320 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

That just all seems weird. You're orders of magnitude closer to Milwaukee than me (we're in Watertown) and I've had good success pulling in Milwaukee and most Madison stations with 3 different antennas, one being a Radio Shack stick antenna in the attic.

I recently upgraded to a Philips monster that I got from Menards because the wife just crawls out of her skin if there is pixelization on her shows, while it doesn't really bother me that much. I even had to ditch an amplifier with the new antenna. It's being fed into an 8 way amplified switch and then out to various TVs, an HDHomerun and 2 USB tuners.

Through the years my area behind my TV stand has become somewhat of a spaghetti mess. I had intend to clean it up after I got my PC setup properly. Maybe I am getting some interference.

I wish there was an easy way to test my signal....or is there?
post #321 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM

If you are going to be using that HDA 5700 antenna, you really need to have the 'power inserter' in the line between the antenna and any splitter you use. And you need to have the AC adapter hooked up to supply the power. Otherwise, the built-in amplifier in the antenna will more than likely instead act as a substantial attenuator.

Have you tried feeding the PC card with a simple pair of rabbit ears or UHF loop - or even just a piece of wire? As close as you are to the transmitting sites, you really do not need or want excess amplification in line. As jimboy says, you will either just introduce excess noise into the system or even overload the receiver's tuner.
post #322 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:

If you are going to be using that HDA 5700 antenna, you really need to have the 'power inserter' in the line between the antenna and any splitter you use. And you need to have the AC adapter hooked up to supply the power. Otherwise, the built-in amplifier in the antenna will more than likely instead act as a substantial attenuator.

Have you tried feeding the PC card with a simple pair of rabbit ears or UHF loop - or even just a piece of wire? As close as you are to the transmitting sites, you really do not need or want excess amplification in line. As jimboy says, you will either just introduce excess noise into the system or even overload the receiver's tuner.

I assume you just stick the wire into the center hole where the cable screw in?
post #323 of 407 Old 01-22-2010, 02:13 PM

Yes. Bare wire, small enough to not damage the connector.
post #324 of 407 Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Okay, here's what I did. I ran the TV back the way it was. I then found some door bell wire stripped it down and put it in the Hauppauge. I even wrapped the wire on the end and connect that to an AM loop antenna. I now get a respectable amount of channels but still less then the TV. And some that I do go in and out. So I guess I will just get a second antenna for the Hauppauge and leave it at that.

I just really hoped to split the antenna I had an not have to put a second up. The wife will not let me do antennas inside. So I guess another Monoprice mounted on that wall outside pointed at the towers.

Thank you all for your help!
post #325 of 407 Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM

Sounds like that Hauppauge is an exceptionally insensitive receiver, or it is malfunctioning.

I'm way out in Brookfield, and a 12" piece of wire is all it takes to get me all the signals. Don't know what else to suggest.
post #326 of 407 Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Sounds like that Hauppauge is an exceptionally insensitive receiver, or it is malfunctioning.

I'm way out in Brookfield, and a 12" piece of wire is all it takes to get me all the signals. Don't know what else to suggest.

Well I already ruled out that it is malfunctioning. I bought a second one and tried it and the problem never changed. I forgot to mention when I first turned this PC on (new build) I couldn't get it to boot...it would just hang up at where the OS starts to load. I eventually diagnosed it as the Hauppauge being plugged it was the issue. So after trying every PCI slot and no change I tweaked my MB voltages and upped my RAM frequency to 1600 and OC'd my CPU to 3.0 (i5-750). Only then would it boot.

Anyone think that that PCI may not be giving the proper amount of voltage, and how can I change this?
post #327 of 407 Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I guess I am most concerned about the PC's lack of reception. The TV although having occasional cut outs on some channels especially 49 is pretty good as is. I will look into these antennas. I do still have an old antenna in my attic from the previous owner. It still has the 2 wires coming off it. I used an adapter to covert to RG6 but I had NO CHANNELS with it. This is why decided to go rooftop.

Not sure how much diagnostic work you did with this "old" antenna... If it's a VHF/UHF model you should be in good shape... (compared to smaller indoor units and DIY loops or ears) As it probably wasn't tuned to receive the digital channels... you might need to re-direct the antenna to acquire some signals.

I'm curious what you did to "convert" to RG6? I know Mill's Fleet Farm and/or Radio Shack sells an antenna to Coax adapter (two wire connectors attach to antenna to a coax connector).

The various other "adapters" I'm familiar with may distinguish UHF (wire) and VHF (cable)... Using these adapters might limit/restrict the potential signal.

Just consider that your attic antenna is able to do the job and just needs some more directional/hardware adjustments.

As a test you might try an alternative antenna in the attic and see if the results are good or better then with attic antenna. (Using the RG6) If it's good you might have to double check the connections/adapters on the attic antenna and make sure a broken connector or bad adapter isn't preventing a good signal.
post #328 of 407 Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Not sure how much diagnostic work you did with this "old" antenna... If it's a VHF/UHF model you should be in good shape... (compared to smaller indoor units and DIY loops or ears) As it probably wasn't tuned to receive the digital channels... you might need to re-direct the antenna to acquire some signals.

I'm curious what you did to "convert" to RG6? I know Mill's Fleet Farm and/or Radio Shack sells an antenna to Coax adapter (two wire connectors attach to antenna to a coax connector).

The various other "adapters" I'm familiar with may distinguish UHF (wire) and VHF (cable)... Using these adapters might limit/restrict the potential signal.

Just consider that your attic antenna is able to do the job and just needs some more directional/hardware adjustments.

As a test you might try an alternative antenna in the attic and see if the results are good or better then with attic antenna. (Using the RG6) If it's good you might have to double check the connections/adapters on the attic antenna and make sure a broken connector or bad adapter isn't preventing a good signal.

I may have been using the wrong one. Now you got me thinking I need to retry this antenna. I did find one of these adapters (shown in pic) in my junk drawer.. I this what I need?

post #329 of 407 Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may have been using the wrong one. Now you got me thinking I need to retry this antenna. I did find one of these adapters (shown in pic) in my junk drawer.. I this what I need?

That looks like it should do the job. Yet the one I had in mind was a bit more boxy looking and "bolts" onto the antenna. I can't exactly find the type I'm thinking of... but give that a try and look for areas where a bad connection to or "inside" (between the various elements) the antenna is preventing a good signal.

As your antenna is "indoors" and static (or is it on a rotor?) you might not need a different kind of adapter. However, if you did want to install that antenna outside OR it's on a rotor you might consider getting a "fixed" adapter that would "bolt" onto the antenna and be weather proof/resistant.

For a temporary fix you could probably tape it down with electrical tape (and/or some zip ties) to reduce movement and weather concerns.

Not to say the adapter is good/bad... but if you do have a way of testing the "junk drawer" adapter before installing it on the antenna it could save a lot of time and stress. My attic and the location of it's antenna isn't usually much fun... it's either 100F+ or like tonight 0F so the least amount of time I spend up there "testing" the better.
post #330 of 407 Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:

That looks like it should do the job. Yet the one I had in mind was a bit more boxy looking and "bolts" onto the antenna. I can't exactly find the type I'm thinking of... but give that a try and look for areas where a bad connection to or "inside" (between the various elements) the antenna is preventing a good signal.

As your antenna is "indoors" and static (or is it on a rotor?) you might not need a different kind of adapter. However, if you did want to install that antenna outside OR it's on a rotor you might consider getting a "fixed" adapter that would "bolt" onto the antenna and be weather proof/resistant.

For a temporary fix you could probably tape it down with electrical tape (and/or some zip ties) to reduce movement and weather concerns.

Not to say the adapter is good/bad... but if you do have a way of testing the "junk drawer" adapter before installing it on the antenna it could save a lot of time and stress. My attic and the location of it's antenna isn't usually much fun... it's either 100F+ or like tonight 0F so the least amount of time I spend up there "testing" the better.

What bums me out about the whole thing is when I connected my monoprice antenna I pulled the wire up to the attic that was on the old "attic anttena". Have i not have done this I could just connect the adapter to the wire and use the existing RG6 going to my living room....DOH!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page