post #331 of 407 Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post

What bums me out about the whole thing is when I connected my monoprice antenna I pulled the wire up to the attic that was on the old "attic anttena". Have i not have done this I could just connect the adapter to the wire and use the existing RG6 going to my living room....DOH!

Don't understand your post. Are you trying to say if you want to use the "old antenna" again you'll need to rerun the RG6 wire to it? That would suck.

If the original 300 ohm wire is still in place you could use that either to fish more RG6 to the attic OR you could just use the 300 ohm wire and attach another adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 407 Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

Don't understand your post. Are you trying to say if you want to use the "old antenna" again you'll need to rerun the RG6 wire to it? That would suck.

If the original 300 ohm wire is still in place you could use that either to fish more RG6 to the attic OR you could just use the 300 ohm wire and attach another adapter.

I initially tested the attic antenna and got no signal. So then I used that wire that went from antenna to the basement then up through the floor to living room to pull my RG6 up from basement to attic then eventually through hole in chimney flashing to monoprice on the roof.

So when I was finished I just had a pilke of old "attic antenna wire" laying in the attic.

So now I after testing antenna, that wire I can be used IT pull some RG6 back up to attic-connect a new proper UHF/VHF matching connector to antenna and I will have a good run of RG6 to living room then.

Thanks again!
post #333 of 407 Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM

Liked: 15
Grammys look like crap on WDJT. Drop the sub's and move them to channel 49 already!
post #334 of 407 Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Does anybody else in the Milwaukee area notice the jump in the picture every 45 seconds? I notice it when watching basketball.
post #335 of 407 Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSage049 View Post

Hey, I'm new here, and I've got a question that's been bugging me lately.

I just got a new Samsung HDTV. I have standard Time Warner Cable, and I get the basic HD channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.) However, I do not get any of the ESPN HD channels. I thought ESPN HD channels were not premium channels, and they came with most standard cable packages. Am I incorrect in that? So, my question is, what do I have to do to get the ESPN HD channels?

I live in Germantown, very close to Milwaukee, if that helps at all.

According to TWC's line-up, you would have to upgrade from Basic Cable to Standard Cable. This will give you those ESPN channels in HD! For the greatest selection of channels, you should pay the $10 more per month and get the Digital Variety package. This represents the best value for cable taken by about 80% or more of cable TV subs.

You MUST have the Standard Service Package of any channel in order to receive it's Digital counterpart or it's HD station. The only exception to this is if you have Basic Cable, you will only get the locals, 4, 6, 12, 18, 24 (etc) and their HD counterparts, 1004, 1006, 1012, 1018, 1024 with a few public access stations. Think of Basic Cable as almost like TV without an antenna. You don't get a lot of cable stations with that configuration.

You will need to upgrade your service to Standard Cable. However, I STRONGLY recommend going with the Digital Variety Package. It is the best value for the money. This upgrade can be easily done with a phone call.

Here is the TWC-Milwaukee line-up:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisco...t/clu/clu.ashx

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #336 of 407 Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know if there's a site that shows expansion of cable companies? We live out NW of Oconomowoc and we're about 2 miles outside the range (they claim) of Charter, and we're I think 3 miles from our old condo in Ixonia where we had Time Warner but can't get it at our new house. There were some workers in the area lately running some cables underground, but I have no idea what kind of cables they were.
post #337 of 407 Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

I am looking to drop cable and want to do OTA HD to my HTPC. I tried a Clearstream Micron XG from antennas direct which is just an indoor antenna and I got zero reception.

I am located near Howell and Elm Rd in Oak Creek which is about 18 miles from all the local HD station antennas. Antenna Fool said I would be able to just use a set top antenna.

What do I need to make this work? I'd prefer set top as I have no cables run to the attic or outside but it sounds like this might not work. Any suggestions for getting OTA HD stations in southern Oak Creek(south of the airport) near Howell and Elm Rd?

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #338 of 407 Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

I would think that you should be able to pick up SOMETHING. I live way out in the sticks (Watertown) and had a radio shack bar antenna in the attic of the garage and I picked up Milwaukee pretty well, and even Madison stations. I would first try (maybe with a longer cable) to move the antenna around and see if you can get ANY reception. We dropped satellite a year ago and have been OTA ever since.
post #339 of 407 Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

I would think that you should be able to pick up SOMETHING. I live way out in the sticks (Watertown) and had a radio shack bar antenna in the attic of the garage and I picked up Milwaukee pretty well, and even Madison stations. I would first try (maybe with a longer cable) to move the antenna around and see if you can get ANY reception. We dropped satellite a year ago and have been OTA ever since.

I tried several places in the first floor facing out windows north. I got nothing. Occasionally it would be a quick flash of something but then go back to blackness....

| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #340 of 407 Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

What are you using to determine if you're getting a signal? Windows Media Center? What kind of tuner do you have?
post #341 of 407 Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are you using to determine if you're getting a signal? Windows Media Center? What kind of tuner do you have?

Windows 7 Media center. I was using a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213 PCI-Express x1 Interface from newegg.

I work in IT and would be considered by most who know me a computer/networking expert. I've been doing HTPC stuff for years now(not TV though) So I'm pretty sure I didn't set something up wrong considering I was able to see a flicker of picture once in awhile as I was testing.

Are you thinking I might have had a defective card? I don't think the antenna could have been defective as it was just a hunk of metal from what I could tell and had no power cable.(Antenna's Direct Clearstream MicroXG).

It was in my living room and had to go through walls and windows and across the street there are 2 story houses which is the direction i needed to point.

My assumption was that I need a better antenna. I'm just very limited in what i can do and was hoping for something I could just put in the living room that was small.

post #342 of 407 Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Lets try to rule some things out. When you moved the antenna, did you have WMC rescan for channels? I'm not familiar with your tuner, I'm using an HDHomerun and 2 USB Pinnacle tuners. The HDHR has a utility where you can see signal strength.

In WMC when you run a scan and nothing is picked up, or is really weak, I think the WMC just ignores it. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK you'd need to rescan for channels (which takes a little while) every time you moved the antenna. I don't think it's like a TV with rabbit ears where you can just fiddle with it. Maybe once the signal is locked in and receiving you could. Also in I think guide setup there is a signal strength meter, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
post #343 of 407 Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Liked: 11
Certainly try everyones suggestions, but I believe what you need is a TV modulation standard that isn't so painfully susceptible to multi-path. You're going to need a very directional antenna and find just the right direction to point it in. You may need to use some frequency sensitive networks and use different antennas for different station. You may need to readjust as the weather changes.

I know of no one in a strong signal area that does not suffer heavy pixelation and severe dropout. But you might get lucky.
post #344 of 407 Old 06-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to pick up the card again from best buy and try to find a better antenna locally to do more testing. I want to be able to return the stuff again if I can't get it to work. unfortuantely its hard to find a store with decent directional antennas. I'd like to try more of Antenna's Direct Clearstream products but I can't find anyone locally who carries them.

post #345 of 407 Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

I've got a nice directional antenna (outdoor though) that I'm not using at the moment that I'd let you borrow to try out, but we probably live 45 minutes apart.
post #346 of 407 Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to try a radio shack directional antenna. Anyone know of any other local stores that sell something better than a cheapo set top antenna?

post #347 of 407 Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Check Menards. That's where I got my monster outdoor setup that I put on the roof. While some pixelation didn't really bother me, it bothered the wife so I went with a big antenna. Granted we're like 40 miles from the towers. They have other antennas there too. Home Depot may have some stuff too. We don't have a Lowes, but maybe they have something?
post #348 of 407 Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check Menards. That's where I got my monster outdoor setup that I put on the roof. While some pixelation didn't really bother me, it bothered the wife so I went with a big antenna. Granted we're like 40 miles from the towers. They have other antennas there too. Home Depot may have some stuff too. We don't have a Lowes, but maybe they have something?

Unfortunately, there really aren't a lot of retail stores nowadays that stock TV antennas. Wal-Mart, BestBuy, Home Depot, Lowes, and even Radio Shack do stock small indoor antennas and maybe one or two low-quality outdoor models. But they won't dedicate shelf space to the sort of larger antennas that actually work. The demand just isn't there.
Menard's is a little better, they have rotors, rotor cable, tripods, standoffs, and other supplies that are hard to find. But they don't stock many real antennas, either.
The answer is the Internet. There, you can read up on the pros and cons of each model and get a really great price. For example, for the $35 you would spend on some cute dinky thing that sits on the TV, you could get a Winegard 4400 or a Antennas Direct DB4 shipped to your door.
I'm just saying, restricting your shopping to only brick-and-mortar stores is a bad idea for a TV antenna. I find it hilarious that my local Ace Hardware is 40 miles from the nearest transmitter, and yet all they stock are "20 mile" models. What's the point?
post #349 of 407 Old 06-28-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

I am looking to drop cable and want to do OTA HD to my HTPC. I tried a Clearstream Micron XG from antennas direct which is just an indoor antenna and I got zero reception.

I am located near Howell and Elm Rd in Oak Creek which is about 18 miles from all the local HD station antennas. Antenna Fool said I would be able to just use a set top antenna.

What do I need to make this work? I'd prefer set top as I have no cables run to the attic or outside but it sounds like this might not work. Any suggestions for getting OTA HD stations in southern Oak Creek(south of the airport) near Howell and Elm Rd?

I'm really not that far from you (Oakwood & Shepard). I currently use a Channelmaster 4228 in my garage attic and it picks up all full power UHF locals around 92%. I also added my older Channelmaster CM3679 VHF/UHF combo antenna with a VHF/UHF combiner (UHF from CM4228 & VHF from CM3679) which is also in the garage attic. The VHF was added for improved 10-1 (channel 8) performance. Even during the storm on the 21st everything remained rock solid. I purchased the CM4228 from Marmax on 61st & Rawson. Warren Electronics is another source I've used (online) http://www.warrenelectronics.com/
Digitenna is another promising product (also made in Wisconsin). http://www.digitenna.com/products I'd like to try one but my current setup woks fine. I may get one to see what Chicago stations I can get.

Howell & Elm is in a little bit of a depression. Do you have a bunch of houses, trees, and a hill to the north of you?
post #350 of 407 Old 06-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I wouldn't recommend any antennas from Menards at all. The Philips antenna I bought from them in 2002 is garbage for UHF. It works great for VHF though. My own mother had lots of problems with Philips brand rabbit ears that she used for analog. She didn't bother to try & use them for digital since it barely pulled in analog stations. I had the outdoor antenna hooked up with the new coax before June 12th, 2009, which allowed her to abandon her rabbit ears. Since I haven't had good luck with the current Philips antenna that's 8 years old, I have no faith in getting a Philips antenna to work this time around, & this time, an even bigger antenna than the one I have now.

Solidsignal & Summitsource are 2 sites worth checking out, along with Amazon.com & Ebay. All these sites vary in price for the antenna & for shipping. Solidsignal uses FedEx, Summitsource uses UPS & don't bother with 2 & 3 day air shipments to Wisconsin since they go thru the ground system. That's a dirty practice of UPS's to rip people off on 2 & 3 day shipments and they go thru the ground system for short distances. I used to work for them at an Illinois hub. Summitsource is based in Fort Wayne Indiana. Amazon.com uses the postal service, & Ebay uses whatever the seller chooses to ship thru (whether UPS, FedEx, or the postal service).
post #351 of 407 Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WISCONSIN:

On Milwaukee's Tim Cuprisin reports Milwaukee Public Television plans to shuffle its channel lineup. Currently, WMVS/10 carries one HD channel while WMVT/36 carries four standard-definition channels and four audio channels. On Sept. 1, PBS World, V-Me, and MPTV Weather will move to channels 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4. WMVT will begin an SD simulcast of WMVS/10.1 on 36.2, while Create and audio channels carrying Classical, Jazz, and traffic information will occupy channels 36.3 through 36.6. Also, WMVT/36.1 will be upgraded to HD in 2011.

The simulcast of 10.1 on 36.2 is intended to reach viewers who have difficulty receiving WMVS' VHF broadcast (channel 8). The FCC has granted WMVS a construction permit to add a UHF translator on channel 36 (WMVT actually broadcasts on 35), but the station has not announced plans to activate the translator. (7/9/2010)

http://northpine.com/broadcast/index.html
post #352 of 407 Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

WISCONSIN:

On Milwaukee's Tim Cuprisin reports Milwaukee Public Television plans to shuffle its channel lineup. Currently, WMVS/10 carries one HD channel while WMVT/36 carries four standard-definition channels and four audio channels. On Sept. 1, PBS World, V-Me, and MPTV Weather will move to channels 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4. WMVT will begin an SD simulcast of WMVS/10.1 on 36.2, while Create and audio channels carrying Classical, Jazz, and traffic information will occupy channels 36.3 through 36.6. Also, WMVT/36.1 will be upgraded to HD in 2011.

The simulcast of 10.1 on 36.2 is intended to reach viewers who have difficulty receiving WMVS' VHF broadcast (channel 8). The FCC has granted WMVS a construction permit to add a UHF translator on channel 36 (WMVT actually broadcasts on 35), but the station has not announced plans to activate the translator. (7/9/2010)

Some PQ sticklers are not going to be very happy about this...
post #353 of 407 Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

WISCONSIN:

I'd like to know how this will help those who have trouble receiving WMVS to get PBS World & V-Me if it gets moved to WMVS. I wonder how many people insist on using a UHF antenna to get WMVS on RF 8. Not only on this board, but another board, that I hear from people that I only need an 8 bay UHF antenna, and that'll work for Hi-VHF. That may work for some, but not others. I insist on using an antenna that has VHF on it to get VHF. While I live in Gary Indiana, I have gotten WMVS on occasion in Gary (never got them in the analog days) with my 8 year old crappy outdoor Philips antenna (works great for VHF, but not as well for select UHF channels). If I lived in Milwaukee, I could guarantee you that if I had my present antenna setup at a home in Milwaukee, that I would get WMVS. I was able to get WBBM-TV from Chicago when they were on RF 3 and had little trouble with their signal with that same antenna. Milwaukee doesn't have as much multi-path as Chicago does since Milwaukee doesn't have as many tall buildings. None of Milwaukees' buildings are over 1000' like they are in Chicago. I know people won't be happy with my comment on the UHF antenna being used for VHF, but I won't apologize for that comment. I've watched OTA TV much of my life and stick with old fashioned element antennas (whether using separate VHF & UHF antennas or a VHF/UHF combo antenna with the VHF in the front, & the UHF in the back). This is only for those who use outdoor antennas.
post #354 of 407 Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Pretty hairy storms up there tonight...I hope everybody's okay.
12, 18, 24, 49, & 58 are missing; did the storm damage a tower?
post #355 of 407 Old 07-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed that 18 and 58 were hit and miss, but I wasn't doing much channel surfing last night. We had it locked onto 4.1, 4.2 or 6.1 most of the night.
post #356 of 407 Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I noticed that 18 and 58 were hit and miss, but I wasn't doing much channel surfing last night. We had it locked onto 4.1, 4.2 or 6.1 most of the night.

So did I, but only 12 was back on this morning. The rest were completely dead air, no signal whatsoever.
post #357 of 407 Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Ok something must be going on at Meaux Park. WDJT is on 4.3 in Cool TV's slot. 18 is back but 24 and now 55 are dark.
post #358 of 407 Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 PM

Liked: 11
WDJT's transmitter is flooded so WTMJ is carrying CBS 58 on 4.3 until they get dried out.
post #359 of 407 Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfram View Post

WDJT's transmitter is flooded so WTMJ is carrying CBS 58 on 4.3 until they get dried out.

I thought that might be the problem. They also have DJT and MLW as subs on WBME-49.
post #360 of 407 Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like WISN has finally gone HD for the local news show, although the field cameras aren't HD yet. WDJT, it's time to catch up!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page