Milwaukee, WI - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 407 Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to be moving to Kenosha and need advice - not sure where to go so...

I'm a Bears and Cubs fan and would like to watch the games. Currently, I'm in Rochester, MN and have D* with Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings. I'd like to get away from paying those higher rates and just get the Fox32 Chicago and CSN Chicago feeds (In HD, thankyouverymuch). I am under the impression that D* claims Kenosha as a Milwaukee market area and so that doesn't help me there.

I'm thinking about TWC - I see they have both Chicago and Milwaukee locals as well as CSN Chicago for Kenosha residents... Does anyone know if those feeds are in HD? Are there frequent blackouts of Chicago games (I kinda figure that if it's Brewers - Cubs, there's gonna be a blackout as that's the case for where I live currently is considered Milwaukee team area). Any problems or concerns with TWC?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 407 Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Kenosha on DIrectv gives you both the Brewers and the Cubs/Sox....but locals are Milwaukee

The 53141 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:
With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD (Ch. 665) - HD Available
Chicago Blackhawks (HD Available)
Cubs (HD Available)
White Sox (HD Available)

FS North HD (Ch. 668) - HD Available
Brewers (HD Available)
Milwaukee Bucks (HD Available)
Minnesota Wild (HD Available)

Brewers and Bucks are actually on 669 (FS Wisco...part time channel)

looking at a tvfool report Chicago should be easy to get with an outdoor antenna (heck even maybe an indoor one)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d99009ae06e93c0
post #393 of 407 Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM

I currently have uVerse tv and we want to get rid of it (because of cost) and just get some local stations as well as a Roku box.
I have 3 Panasonic plasma 720p hdtv's. 50, 46 and 32 inch. 1 in 1 bedroom, second in another bedroom, 3rd one is downstairs in our rec room.

I need help with what type of "set-top" antenna to buy. Will I also need a converter box for all tv's? Will I also need 3 Roku boxes?
post #394 of 407 Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post

I currently have uVerse tv and we want to get rid of it (because of cost) and just get some local stations as well as a Roku box.
I have 3 Panasonic plasma 720p hdtv's. 50, 46 and 32 inch. 1 in 1 bedroom, second in another bedroom, 3rd one is downstairs in our rec room.
I need help with what type of "set-top" antenna to buy. Will I also need a converter box for all tv's? Will I also need 3 Roku boxes?

Where are you located (approximately)?
Renting? Or do you own the property?

I would suggest..... http://digitenna.com/ These are also made locally in Oostburg Wisconsin.
post #395 of 407 Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM

I own the property. 53072 is the zip.
post #396 of 407 Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I own the property. 53072 is the zip.

If you don't feel like doing this yourself..........
http://kemmertv.com/services.htm

Otherwise (and if it were me) a Digitenna DUV Deep or Extreme Fringe antenna mounted in the attic facing east. RG 6 from the antenna to a Channelmaster CM3414 distribution amplifier http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/amps.htm
Run a RG 6 to each of the three sets - Please note the CM3414 amp may increase the signal to a point that may cause an overload issue on the input to the TV. This depends on the strength of the received signals. Attenuators cans be used to drop the signal strengh where required.
I assuming the TV's all have internal tuners.....no converter box necessary.
Roku box.....up to you......
post #397 of 407 Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM

I tried using a RCA digital antenna, Model: ANT1251 on one of my tv's upstairs. I could only get 24 out of 42 channels. Plus some channels were flickering which meant I wasn't getting te best signal. I' not sure that I want to go the attic route or not. I sent an email to Kemmer TV, but he hasn't responded yet. I'm really i rush though. Should I give the Terk hdtva antenna a shot?
post #398 of 407 Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Pewaukee area with an indoor amplified antenna..........you're going to have issues. I generally recommend against using any form of indoor "amplified" antenna for the simple reason that they amplify "anything" that they receive. Any thing that emits RF radiation within your home (or outside in the general area) can be picked up by an amplified antenna and overload the input to the tuner on your TV causing reception issues. The TV, cordless phone, CFL lights, Switching Power Supplies in all forms of electronic gadgets, etc..., all can produce RF noise. Your best bet is an attic mount or outdoor mid to long range antenna - the more signal you capture the better. With this setup you can achieve signal to noise ratios around 28 to 32db. Anything under 15db (the digital cliff) is where you lose the picture entirely. Higher received signal to noise ratios also help prevent issues when conditions are not ideal (rain, wind, buses driving by etc...). Just my two cents......been there done that......
post #399 of 407 Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM

So the Terk hdtva wouldn't be the way to go in my case? I cale Kemmer TV, but haven't heard back yet.
post #400 of 407 Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

Pewaukee area with an indoor amplified antenna..........you're going to have issues. I generally recommend against using any form of indoor "amplified" antenna for the simple reason that they amplify "anything" that they receive. Any thing that emits RF radiation within your home (or outside in the general area) can be picked up by an amplified antenna and overload the input to the tuner on your TV causing reception issues. The TV, cordless phone, CFL lights, Switching Power Supplies in all forms of electronic gadgets, etc..., all can produce RF noise. Your best bet is an attic mount or outdoor mid to long range antenna - the more signal you capture the better. With this setup you can achieve signal to noise ratios around 28 to 32db. Anything under 15db (the digital cliff) is where you lose the picture entirely. Higher received signal to noise ratios also help prevent issues when conditions are not ideal (rain, wind, buses driving by etc...). Just my two cents......been there done that......

Would you recommend attic or exterior antenna?
post #401 of 407 Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 11
You are going to be better off with an outdoor antenna. It's not so much a matter of signal strength, but a matter of multipath. Digital TV is quite sensitive to multipath and it's hard to avoid that issue with an indoor antenna. An outside antenna, as high as practical and clear of obstructions, will be your best solution.
post #402 of 407 Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM

My subdivision doesn't allow outdoor antennas unfortunately.
post #403 of 407 Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:

My subdivision doesn't allow outdoor antennas unfortunately.

Homeowners associations cannot prevent you from putting up an antenna.......
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Although it would be better outside I'd still try it in the attic first however. Aiming east and on the far east side of the attic.
post #404 of 407 Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:

What antenna did you end up going with and how has it worked out for you?

I'm also in Pewaukee and recently started using an antenna I got from Best Buy to get NBC/WTMJ (since I have Time Warner). I get NBC/WTMJ very well, but I am unable to get CBS/WDJT and ABC/WISN at all. The antenna is an RCA (this model).
post #405 of 407 Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM

I have a question related to Windows Media Center.  My provider is Time Warner.  I live in Delafield, WI.  I recently Lost 12.1 for some reason, so I re-scanned.  I got 12.1 back, but I lost 4.1 and 6.1.  I've added them to WMC before by entering the QAM channel manually.  I previously used the channel guide from silicondust website, but now they don't list QAM channels.  They just list over the air for my area.  Does anyone have the latest clear QAM channels for time Warner?  

post #406 of 407 Old 04-16-2014, 05:07 PM

I built this based on the 9.5 inch element size and 9 inch phase line specs I found here.

1.5 inch phase line spacing

I'm 45 miles from Chicago

I get all between 5 and 66  ..

Works great. Inside the house.

I will give to friend who needs a cheap RV trailer antenna

Best regards

jp

post #407 of 407 Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 PM

I built this based on the 9.5 inch element size and 9 inch phase line specs I found here.

1.5 inch phase line spacing

I'm 45 miles from Chicago

I get all between 5 and 66  ..

Works great. Inside the house.

I will give to friend who needs a cheap RV trailer antenna

Best regards

jp

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page