Milwaukee, WI - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 407 Old 08-15-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone know what's been going on with WVTV-DT's ATSC signal?

18-1 went away a few months ago, moved to 24 (24-2 or 24-3), and now it's gone altogether (it's no longer being broadcast as a subchannel of 24, and 18-1 never returned.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 407 Old 08-16-2006, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
WVTV-DT went to 24-3 awhile back because of some kind of transmitting problem, but I was getting it in back on 18.1 a couple of weeks back, and it was gone from 24-3.

I haven't seen it in over a week, as I'm in Illinois and only receive the Milwaukee stations when the tropo's good (with an indoor antenna).

But, like I said, the last I know it was back on it's original channel. Can't say for sure for the last week though. It's possible that they could have shut down again.
post #63 of 407 Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Does anyone know what's been going on with WVTV-DT's ATSC signal?

18-1 went away a few months ago, moved to 24 (24-2 or 24-3), and now it's gone altogether (it's no longer being broadcast as a subchannel of 24, and 18-1 never returned.)

Yes it has returned.
18-1 (WVTV) returned to the air on Wednesday 8/2/06. Outage was due to antenna failure. During the outage WVTV programming was added to 24-3.
post #64 of 407 Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just got my HDTV a few days ago, but I am having problems with my Time Warner Cable feed.

1st, I don't get all of my HD channels. All I can receive is 504 (WTMJ-NBC), 506 (WITI-FOX), UnivHD, iNHD, and iNHD2. Has any one else had this problem? I am subscribed to the HD package so I should be receiving every HD channel including HBO and Showtime, because I am subscribed to both.

2nd, some of the normal digital cable channels will not come in. I haven't checked every channel, but 4, 5, 6, 12, and most of the digital channels in the 100s don't come in either. Has anyone had this problem?

In both of these situations, when I turn to one of the channels that aren't working, I just get a gray screen.

3rd, some of the channels I do have that come in are really ugly. I know that SD channels just don't show up well on an HDTV, and I have accepted that, but these are WAY, WAY worse than your normal SD picture. They are unwatchable. Some times, the picture will go completely to a gray screen, then flicker on and off. Oddly, this only happens on two channels, 51 (Spike) and 55 (SciFi).

Any help you can offer for any of these problems would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JShmoopy
PSN ID: JShmoopy
post #65 of 407 Old 08-25-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

Yes it has returned.
18-1 (WVTV) returned to the air on Wednesday 8/2/06. Outage was due to antenna failure. During the outage WVTV programming was added to 24-3.

Thanks, he's got it back now.
post #66 of 407 Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 PM

jsacevedo,
It sounds like you have a weak signal. Give Time Warner a call and if that's the problem they will come out and put an amplifier in and no cost. Either way they'll fix it.
post #67 of 407 Old 08-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The cable guy came out this morning and it was a weak signal. The signal from outside was fine, but in our apartment we have a splitter that sends the feed into our bedroom, and that was not Time Warner's splitter and probably of poor quality, so he replaced the splitter, and used shorter wire and the problem was fixed. My HD channels look great now.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JShmoopy
PSN ID: JShmoopy
post #68 of 407 Old 09-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Hello, I'm visiting MKE for the weekend, and my parents' TWC service is experiencing some strange behavior. They are not getting ABC 512 WISN-HD at all. It is simply a black screen. Other local HD feeds are fine, but ABC is out. Not a good situation for a football Saturday!

Anyone else with this TWC/Pioneer STB combo having problems? Anyone know the # to report service issues?
post #69 of 407 Old 09-02-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchueller View Post

Hello, I'm visiting MKE for the weekend, and my parents' TWC service is experiencing some strange behavior. They are not getting ABC 512 WISN-HD at all. It is simply a black screen. Other local HD feeds are fine, but ABC is out. Not a good situation for a football Saturday!

Anyone else with this TWC/Pioneer STB combo having problems? Anyone know the # to report service issues?

I'm out of the area at the moment so I can't check it out, but I would suggest re-running a channel scan if you haven't already. Digital stations like to shift around, and it is possible you are tuning into where WISN-HD used to be.

You can find customer service info at: http://www.timewarnercable.com/milwaukee/
post #70 of 407 Old 09-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Sorry, but I'm just not familiar with the wonderful, friendly and stable interface this awesome Pioneer STB provides [/sarcasm], so I'm not sure how to run a channel scan. Unfortunately, TWC's help line listed on that site is quoting a 45 minute hold time. Is this typical? I've been lucky enough to be a D* customer for so long, I forgot what dealing w/ these monopolies is really like!
post #71 of 407 Old 09-02-2006, 01:14 PM

Sorry, I wasn't thinking - when I watch HD over cable I bypass the STB altogether and run the cable straight into a HDTV STB that supports ClearQAM. You can't run a channel scan on the Pioneer box obviously.

I have that Pioneer box and it sucks. It blanks out some channels once in a while, both digital and analog ones. When that happens, sometimes it helps when I unplug it for a few seconds and then plug it back in, or do unplug/plug the cable feed into it. When the box is off, it's not really off - it just stops tuning channels and outputs a black screen instead (still sucking power). My theory is that unplugging it resets it. So try the unplugging/replugging thing.

If that doesn't work, and you don't want to wait on hold w/ TWC, try unplugging the cable feed from the box and plugging it into your TV instead, and running a channel scan on your TV. You will not be able to watch digital cable or any premium HD that you may be subscribing to, but you will be able to watch the local HD networks if your TV supports ClearQAM.

A 45 minute hold at 3 in the afternoon on a Saturday... that's nuts. My sympathies...
post #72 of 407 Old 09-03-2006, 06:41 AM

I experienced the TWC WISN-HD outage yesterday afternoon as well, and I have a Scientific Atlanta DVR. My guess is that TWC probably wasn't getting the HD feed from the station. I didn't care all too much, since the Ohio State game was a blow-out anyways. I did try pulling the power on the cable box and all that, but it made no difference. Unfortunately, my HD television is too old (2004!) to have a built-in HD tuner, and I have not yet made the investment to get an external tuner. I knew if I did call TWC that I would be waiting 45 minutes, and all TWC would do if I did call would be to credit me 50 cents for not having that particular channel for the day...

BTW, are there any updates on when ESPN2-HD will be available on TWC?
post #73 of 407 Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM

I'm new to the HD scene, and have read some threads, admittedly not all of them. Specific to the Milwaukee area, and using TimeWarner cable, how can I interact with an HD stream (either OTA or cable)? Do I have to have TWC's STB in order to receive premium HD channels? Or can I use a tuner such as the HD5500 card in its place?

Thanks for the feedback!

joey
post #74 of 407 Old 09-11-2006, 04:51 PM

jofficer,
You can use a CableCard to pick up anything an STB can get. The problem is there's no channel guide or banner information as far as what you're watching. I didn't think that would bother me. I was wrong.
I went back to the convertor and I'm happier. There's just to much stuff out there to figure what's on and what's coming on especially with premium channels.
I don't know exactly what you mean by interacting with an HD stream. Could you explain.
post #75 of 407 Old 09-11-2006, 05:22 PM

I've had a SD8300HD DVR for about five months now and things have always looked great on my Sony 40" Bravia. My problem has been quick decompression errors at random intervals. For instance, I'm watching MNF right now and in the last hour and a half, it's happened three times. I use the optical out to feed into my Sony receiver. As I'm watching any channel, HD or SD, the screen will quickly flash random blocks (decompression error) on the screen and the sound will cut out for a second until everything resyncs. It's not a HUGE deal, but it's rather annoying. Has anybody else experienced this? I'm guessing I'll have to give TW a call and have them send somebody out...

Another thing... Discovery HD will send out deep bass pops out every 3-4 minutes or so during certain programs or commercials - just random thumps through the subwoofer. It's the only channel that does it, so maybe it's the way Discovery HD is sent out?

If anybody has any info about the above issues or have been experiencing them themselves, post a reply!

Thanks much.

Terry
post #76 of 407 Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabb View Post

jofficer,
You can use a CableCard to pick up anything an STB can get. The problem is there's no channel guide or banner information as far as what you're watching. I didn't think that would bother me. I was wrong.
I went back to the convertor and I'm happier. There's just to much stuff out there to figure what's on and what's coming on especially with premium channels.
I don't know exactly what you mean by interacting with an HD stream. Could you explain.

When I say interacting, I meant how can I read the stream. I don't have a HD tv currently, and I understand the cable card to be specific to some TVs that accept it, which is not to say that I can use it in a computer. I had been checking out the pcHDTV HD-5500, and I'm trying to determine if when I plug in my coax-cable feed directly into the card, will I be able to receive all of the HD streams that are available?

Or, am I better of just trying to tune OTA HD channels? It seems like I'd get a higher quality feed via a cable link as compared to OTA.

The third option I had investigated, is to simply get one of the HD boxes, and make sure that it has firewire output, as per the mandate. Probably won't get that far.

I'm currently out in Pewaukee, and will be moving (hopefully) to West Allis very soon. I'm very interested in getting this setup to work, and would be willing to test with anyone who has some time to spare. I should receive my HD card (again the pcHDTV HD-5500) this week.

joey
post #77 of 407 Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofficer View Post

When I say interacting, I meant how can I read the stream. I don't have a HD tv currently, and I understand the cable card to be specific to some TVs that accept it, which is not to say that I can use it in a computer. I had been checking out the pcHDTV HD-5500, and I'm trying to determine if when I plug in my coax-cable feed directly into the card, will I be able to receive all of the HD streams that are available?

Without a CableCard or a cable box you will be limited to the unencrypted channels, which in this area are the major networks only. No ESPNHD etc. This includes every computer-based HDTV tuner device that I'm aware of. There is currently no way to watch premium HD channels on a computer, even if you DO have a CableCard or cable box, due to the encryption. It will eventually be possible on a PC - one that is loaded down with DRM hardware, an HDCP-compliant display, Windows Vista, etc. Even then you will be limited in what you can do with the encrypted streams you record...

Quote:

Or, am I better of just trying to tune OTA HD channels? It seems like I'd get a higher quality feed via a cable link as compared to OTA.

If you can pick up the OTA signal reliably, the quality is the same as cable - no better, no worse. Of course with cable there is no need to tweak antenna positioning etc.

Quote:

The third option I had investigated, is to simply get one of the HD boxes, and make sure that it has firewire output, as per the mandate. Probably won't get that far.

That would work, but even if it does, the rule still applies - no premium channels on your computer.
post #78 of 407 Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher In Heat View Post

Without a CableCard or a cable box you will be limited to the unencrypted channels, which in this area are the major networks only. No ESPNHD etc. This includes every computer-based HDTV tuner device that I'm aware of. There is currently no way to watch premium HD channels on a computer, even if you DO have a CableCard or cable box, due to the encryption. It will eventually be possible on a PC - one that is loaded down with DRM hardware, an HDCP-compliant display, Windows Vista, etc. Even then you will be limited in what you can do with the encrypted streams you record...

If you can pick up the OTA signal reliably, the quality is the same as cable - no better, no worse. Of course with cable there is no need to tweak antenna positioning etc.

That would work, but even if it does, the rule still applies - no premium channels on your computer.

Wow... way to shoot holes all my dreams

But seriously... thanks for clearing that up. I'm currently in an apartment, and do not have access to an external antennae, so I might start with the HD via cable, atleast to check it out. I am hoping to move to the West Allis area in the next month or so (pending house offer), at which point I'll try the antenna route.

A question though... why is ESPNHD considered premium and encrypted, when you are already purchasing the digital package, along with the extra HD stream? Am I destined to only be able to receive the broadcast networks via HD Tuner on the PC?
post #79 of 407 Old 09-13-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofficer View Post

A question though... why is ESPNHD considered premium and encrypted, when you are already purchasing the digital package, along with the extra HD stream? Am I destined to only be able to receive the broadcast networks via HD Tuner on the PC?

I don't have an answer as to why ESPNHD is encrypted. I guess the cable/media illuminati want to restrict access to "trusted" hardware, to thwart copying. The type of encryption the cable provider uses mandates that this "trusted" hardware be used throughout the entire electrical path the signal passes through - it's not allowed to decrypt the stream until it's inside the television set and unable to be copied. PCs don't abide by this requirement (yet). You will be able to watch the premiums on your PC some day soon - once you upgrade to a "trusted" PC and a HDCP-compliant monitor - but with your current PC you will be out of luck unless the government passes a law that mandates that cable providers not encrypt their premium content... or until someone manages to crack the encryption (called DTCP or 5C) - but decrypting the stream would be illegal under the DMCA. (is that enough acronyms for you? )

Even once the day comes that you can watch premiums on your PC, the cable provider will still dictate the terms of what you can do with what you record. Your PC capture hardware/software will record the stream in its encrypted state and require validation to be able to view the recordings. I'm not sure of all the specifics of how it will work, but, this is my impression.
post #80 of 407 Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 PM

Sorry for the delayed response...

Thankyou very much for clearing up alot of my thoughts. I went ahead and bough the HD-5500 card, but after getting a better understanding of what I can and cannot get, it seems almost not worth it, or atleast not worth it to buy from the cable-co. I will pick up an antenna and attempt to tune OTA. I'm currently about 20ish miles West from downtown Milwaukee, but I'm hopeful I'll pick up some signals.

Thanks again!
post #81 of 407 Old 09-29-2006, 10:08 PM

Does anyone know if time warner will offer the CW HD anytime soon? WB and the new CW have been in HD for like 2 years, and it really sucks having to watch smallville in standard def.
post #82 of 407 Old 09-30-2006, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeAyKay View Post

Does anyone know if time warner will offer the CW HD anytime soon? WB and the new CW have been in HD for like 2 years, and it really sucks having to watch smallville in standard def.

Don't bet on it soon. Sinclair, owners or ch's 18 & 24, want $$$ from TW to allow signal carraige & TW won't pay. This happens for all Sinclair stations.
post #83 of 407 Old 12-04-2006, 09:50 AM

I've done some searching of this forum for more information on QAM in Milwaukee but I've come up short, so hopefully someone here may be able to answer this:

If I have only the Basic TW cable package (channels 1-27 or something), would I still be able to get the Clear QAM local HD channels over cable? Currently, there is no filter on my cable line, so I get the Standard (1-100 or so) channels. I have a TV with a built-in Clear QAM tuner, which is allowing me to receive the locals in HD over cable without a cable box. Which is awesome. But I'm worried that I will lose the ability to tune to these local HD channels when TW installs a filter on my cable line, which they are going to as I downgraded to Basic cable.

So, does anyone know if the Basic package removes access to the local HD channels?

Does anyone have a similar setup?

Thanks!
post #84 of 407 Old 12-23-2006, 02:05 PM

Anyone seeing audio drop outs and minor pixelation every few minutes on channel 36-1 OTA? I'm getting a strong signal, the TV says it's as strong as any of the others (actually slightly stronger then some) and my HR10-250 says it's at 90-92 and it doesn't dip below that but it seems I'm losing lock periodically.
post #85 of 407 Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronzott View Post

I've done some searching of this forum for more information on QAM in Milwaukee but I've come up short, so hopefully someone here may be able to answer this:

If I have only the Basic TW cable package (channels 1-27 or something), would I still be able to get the Clear QAM local HD channels over cable? Currently, there is no filter on my cable line, so I get the Standard (1-100 or so) channels. I have a TV with a built-in Clear QAM tuner, which is allowing me to receive the locals in HD over cable without a cable box. Which is awesome. But I'm worried that I will lose the ability to tune to these local HD channels when TW installs a filter on my cable line, which they are going to as I downgraded to Basic cable.

So, does anyone know if the Basic package removes access to the local HD channels?

Does anyone have a similar setup?

Thanks!

I have 2 TV's, each with a clear QAM tuner in them. The high end TV (Sony SXRD) can tune in the local HD channels without a cablebox. However, my lower end Westinghouse can't get them. TW denies that they even carry the local HD channels in clear QAM, and they've not responded to any of the e-mails I've sent them. I personally think they are doing something quirky to the signal that prevents most QAM tuners from picking the channels up. Especially after the way they tried to deny the fact they even carry the channels unencrypted, the one time they did talk to me.

But to your question, I don't think they physically filter the digital signal. Ether your cable is hooked up, or it isn't. What controls what you can/can't view is your cable box. It unencrypts what the cable company wants you to see. But to my point above, I'm not sure exactly what they are broadcasting unencrypted or not, and TW isn't talking.
post #86 of 407 Old 12-28-2006, 04:46 PM

Hey Nick, thanks for the response.

I've since gotten the answer to my question, as Time Warner finally put a filter on my cable line to prevent me from receiving any channels aside from 1-27. One morning I woke up and turned on the TV to see if Headline News was still available, and all I got was a "channel unavailable" message, which confirmed they put the filter on. I immediately checked for the HD channels.....and they were (and are) still there!

So in my situation, with a West 32w6 and the lowest tier of cable available (without a cable box, even), I can get local HD channels via coax.
post #87 of 407 Old 12-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I've since gotten the answer to my question, as Time Warner finally put a filter on my cable line to prevent me from receiving any channels aside from 1-27. One morning I woke up and turned on the TV to see if Headline News was still available, and all I got was a "channel unavailable" message, which confirmed they put the filter on. I immediately checked for the HD channels.....and they were (and are) still there!

So in my situation, with a West 32w6 and the lowest tier of cable available (without a cable box, even), I can get local HD channels via coax.

Hey, I'm glad to hear you can pull in your HD over coax... my 27w7 can't. Your 32w6 is pretty much the same set as mine, so I'm puzzled why I can't get this myself. Looks like it's time to call Westinghouse again, I've given up on TW. I was wondering though, what firmware is on your TV? Mine is the original 1.00. I wonder if that really comes into play, Westinghouse told me it didn't, but I think it does. That's the only reason why I can figure your TV can tune in the channels, but mine can't, given we both have TW Cable. Thanks.

-Nick
post #88 of 407 Old 12-31-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I have Time Warner basic cable as well, and just purchased a HD TV with a built in HD tuner. I am able to get HD channels through my basic cable service with no box. I was wondering if you could tell me what the channels are that you get. Right now I know I get FOX HD and it is channel 103.3. However, I am not sure what all the other channels are. If you could tell me what channels you get, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.
post #89 of 407 Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoComBlankMan View Post

Anyone seeing audio drop outs and minor pixelation every few minutes on channel 36-1 OTA? I'm getting a strong signal, the TV says it's as strong as any of the others (actually slightly stronger then some) and my HR10-250 says it's at 90-92 and it doesn't dip below that but it seems I'm losing lock periodically.

You may have to strong of a signal and may be overloading the input of your tuner. You might try to pad your input signal by 3 or 6 db and to do this simply install a 2 way or 4 way splitter and use only one port and terminate the rest with 75ohm terminators and see if this helps.

If it makes it worse then it is not a quanity issue but a quality one (to many bit rate errors) and just a slight reposition may help of the antenna.
post #90 of 407 Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsayers@wi.rr.co View Post

I have Time Warner basic cable as well, and just purchased a HD TV with a built in HD tuner. I am able to get HD channels through my basic cable service with no box. I was wondering if you could tell me what the channels are that you get. Right now I know I get FOX HD and it is channel 103.3. However, I am not sure what all the other channels are. If you could tell me what channels you get, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Are you having any problems with Fox? It seems to be skipping or dropping all the time today during the College game, and there are many hiccups during football. It used to be almost perfect when I first started watching.

Anyway, here are the channels I've found:
NBC HD: 103.2
FOX HD: 103.3
TMJ+: 103.4
CBS HD: 109.1
ABC HD: 109.2
MPTV HD: 116.5

There are also some other MPTV channels in the 116 area.

Sometimes they move around though. ABC and CBS have flip flopped a couple times since November.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page