Milwaukee, WI - HDTV - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 407 Old 01-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone live in the Kenosha area that has good luck with an antenna that gets mostly Milwaukee, but also some Chicago?

I saw a couple at Radio Shack, and they worked in the store, but at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 407 Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Anyone have a list of all the HD channels that Time Warner offers in the Milwaukee area? A quick search of their website reveals this "great" answer:

"Q: How many high definition stations can I get with Time Warner Cable HDTV?

A: The number of high definition stations you can receive depends on the Time Warner Cable area you live in. Depending on the area, Time Warner Cable offers various channels including: ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, WB, UPN, HBO, Showtime and Discovery HD Theater. Some areas offer additional HD packages including movies, sports and events from HD-Net and IN-HD. In addition, we plan to offer more channels in the very near future as they become available."

EDIT: I'm only talking about regular programming... not counting any premium channels.
post #153 of 407 Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee View Post

Anyone have a list of all the HD channels that Time Warner offers in the Milwaukee area? A quick search of their website reveals this "great" answer:

A: The number of high definition stations you can receive depends on the Time Warner Cable area you live in. Depending on the area, Time Warner Cable offers various channels including: ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, WB, UPN, HBO, Showtime and Discovery HD Theater. Some areas offer additional HD packages including movies, sports and events from HD-Net and IN-HD. In addition, we plan to offer more channels in the very near future as they become available."

EDIT: I'm only talking about regular programming... not counting any premium channels.

I don't have an answer to your question since I don't have cable but you could try www (dot) milwaukeehdtv (dot) org
Not trying to endorse another forum over this most excellent one but most people use the above mentioned one.
post #154 of 407 Old 01-08-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:

The other website mentioned is bar far more active than this one. But be warned, your going to read a lot of upset people about the lack of HD prgramming offered by TW-WI as compared to other TW affiliates across the nation. Some other affiliates offer all the same HD channels we get, plus 12 more!!! Any way, TW has in interactive channel line up where you can filter out channels and packages.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Custo...&Image1=submit
post #155 of 407 Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Anyone happen to know why I am only picking up the MPTV channels and nothing else using the WinTv-HVR-1600??? I am currently just using a Antenna from radio shack as my source, hoping to pick up all local channels in HD
post #156 of 407 Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhaas View Post

Anyone happen to know why I am only picking up the MPTV channels and nothing else using the WinTv-HVR-1600??? I am currently just using a Antenna from radio shack as my source, hoping to pick up all local channels in HD

Which MPTV channel? 10-1 thru 10-8 or 36-1? Digital channel 10 is broadcast on VHF channel 8. Digital 36 is broadcast on UHF channel 35. What is the model of the antenna from Rad Shack?
post #157 of 407 Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

This is just off the top off my head, but:
ABC
CBS
NBC
Fox
CW 18
MY24
HGTV
TNT
ESPN
ESPN2
HDNET
HD Theater
Mojo
HDNET Movies
Universal

There may be one more, but I can't remember. And as you said, that doesn't include pay channels like HBO.

Hope that helps.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #158 of 407 Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. I picked up an HD cable box a couple nights ago, and I found that TWC grouped all the HD channels from 500-550 (roughly).

It's not as much as DirectTV or AT&T, but it was a no-cost upgrade to go to HD for me. Once my promotional pricing ends, I'll revisit all three companies to see where I can get the best deal.
post #159 of 407 Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I picked up an HD cable box a couple nights ago, and I found that TWC grouped all the HD channels from 500-550 (roughly).

It's not as much as DirectTV or AT&T, but it was a no-cost upgrade to go to HD for me. Once my promotional pricing ends, I'll revisit all three companies to see where I can get the best deal.

Direct TV has a lot of good quality HD channels, but I've already replaced one box and had to clear off my dish of snow three times, and I've only been a customer since December first. Just enjoy TW through the winter, cause I wish I would have waited till Spring for the dish.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #160 of 407 Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone have any luck getting a waver from DirecTv in order to get CBS in HD? They are playing hardball with me and it's annoying not being able to record CBS in HD.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #161 of 407 Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktk0117 View Post

Anyone live in the Kenosha area that has good luck with an antenna that gets mostly Milwaukee, but also some Chicago?

I saw a couple at Radio Shack, and they worked in the store, but at home?

I live in Pleasant Prairie, and I have a Phillips #PHL-MANT510 indoor antenna that I bought at Circuit City for $40. I can pick up every Milwaukee channel and every Chicago channel (except CBS-2) with this equipment. It has a higher gain than most of the other indoor antennas available. It works well the majority of the time, but my HD signal occasionally cuts out for 3-5 seconds, so I am anxiously awaiting Dish Network to get their act together add the Milwaukee locals in HD to their lineup...
post #162 of 407 Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Anyone have any luck getting a waver from DirecTv in order to get CBS in HD? They are playing hardball with me and it's annoying not being able to record CBS in HD.

The problem is not DirecTV but Weigel Broadcasting who owns CBS 58. DirecTV must ask for the waiver on your behalf and there is no way Weigel is going to give you one.

Since Weigel's demands are greater that DirecTV is willing to pay they have no agreement for carriage of the HD channel. Your best bet is to contact CBS 58 and urge them to make an agreement with DirecTV.
post #163 of 407 Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJulius View Post

The problem is not DirecTV but Weigel Broadcasting who owns CBS 58. DirecTV must ask for the waiver on your behalf and there is no way Weigel is going to give you one.

Since Weigel's demands are greater that DirecTV is willing to pay they have no agreement for carriage of the HD channel. Your best bet is to contact CBS 58 and urge them to make an agreement with DirecTV.

Will do. Thanks!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #164 of 407 Old 02-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Waht are peoples experiences and attitudes rgarding att u-verse we havent made the jump to hdtv yet but are thinking of changing from Direct TV to uverse. my phone and internet was out last week due to a cutover to fiber went awry and the tech and I were talking about u-verse ans he says it had a much better picture than direct tv.

now he gets no points for "selling" me on it because my fiance works for ATT and it would be consession anyways.

Is it better than direct TV??

We will be getting a 50 in plasma or a 52" in lcd in fall 2008 so the quality of hd channels will be important in a few months

Thanks
post #165 of 407 Old 02-18-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A friend of mine has it, and he loves it, but from what I've read on these forums and elsewhere, HD picture quality through U-Verse is worse than Time Warner. However, SD quality is better. YMMV.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #166 of 407 Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Charlie Rose on PBS World (for me TWC Channel 550) always has pixel and pause problems (I dvr it). I started to record the regular PBS version on channel TWC 10 and it doesn't have these problems. Is this due to PBS trying shove to much data down the pipe?
post #167 of 407 Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Liked: 11
I have Charter HD service. Their NBC feed comes from the Milwaukee affiliate. A couple weeks ago, I was watching the Thursday night comedies and they started in HD and then a few minutes later switched to SD and did not go back to HD until toward the end of the evening.

Last night, it was an SD feed all night long. I'm sure you can realize how an SD feed can look on an 85 inch screen!

I called Charter this morning and the person I talked to had no clue (did not even understand what SD meant). I was told they will contact that NBC affiliate to see what happened. That's about all the resolution I received.

Anyone else have the Milwaukee HD feed for NBC, either through a cable service or OTA? What were your results last night? Just trying to work this out since Charter support was a dead-end. Thanks!
post #168 of 407 Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian View Post

I have Charter HD service. Their NBC feed comes from the Milwaukee affiliate. A couple weeks ago, I was watching the Thursday night comedies and they started in HD and then a few minutes later switched to SD and did not go back to HD until toward the end of the evening.

Last night, it was an SD feed all night long. I'm sure you can realize how an SD feed can look on an 85 inch screen!

I called Charter this morning and the person I talked to had no clue (did not even understand what SD meant). I was told they will contact that NBC affiliate to see what happened. That's about all the resolution I received.

Anyone else have the Milwaukee HD feed for NBC, either through a cable service or OTA? What were your results last night? Just trying to work this out since Charter support was a dead-end. Thanks!

I have Time Warner Cable out of Milwaukee. I watched the NBC HD channel (504) last night in HD (My Name Is Earl), and it was in HD, not SD.

My guess is that it was a problem with Charter or maybe even your box. Did you try power cycling the box to see if that helped?
post #169 of 407 Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have Time Warner Cable out of Milwaukee. I watched the NBC HD channel (504) last night in HD (My Name Is Earl), and it was in HD, not SD.

My guess is that it was a problem with Charter or maybe even your box. Did you try power cycling the box to see if that helped?

Well, I also recorded other shows last night (Grey's Anatomy for the wife and Lost, both on ABC and they looked great. There were a couple short jumps during lost, but the PQ was great. But all the comedies on NBC were definitely SD.
post #170 of 407 Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian View Post

I watched "The Office" on NBC on my OTA antenna and DVRd it through D* and had zero issues with both (they were in HD). "Scrubs" was in SD/non-true HD, but it's always like that so that's not a good judge.

I'd say it's a safe bet to pin this on Charter.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #171 of 407 Old 05-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Has anyone else receiving OTA programming on 58.1 noticed a significant reduction in PQ? I don't watch much TV, but seems like the last few episodes of CSI and NCIS look softer and not as sharp. Just wondering if this has anything to do with the addition of the third digital sub channel, MeTV.
post #172 of 407 Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post

Has anyone else receiving OTA programming on 58.1 noticed a significant reduction in PQ? I don't watch much TV, but seems like the last few episodes of CSI and NCIS look softer and not as sharp. Just wondering if this has anything to do with the addition of the third digital sub channel, MeTV.

I'll watch them OTA this week and let you know. CSI Miami looked good on Monday, but I didn't get a chance to see NCIS or CSI OTA (recorded them through D* and had to watch in SD...blah).

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #173 of 407 Old 05-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Recent CBS 58-1 status can be found here.....
http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/...6231#post46231
post #174 of 407 Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, jimboy - that explains it. I am watching CSI Miami with my OTA antenna and it looks like crap. I guess it's in SD... I hope they get it fixed quickly!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #175 of 407 Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

CSI was NOT in HD last night. I thought it was only going to take a few days for CBS to get back on line in HD? This is rather annoying...

Edit: Apparently HD was restored as of this morning at 11:30. Nice!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #176 of 407 Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

CSI was NOT in HD last night. I thought it was only going to take a few days for CBS to get back on line in HD? This is rather annoying...

Edit: Apparently HD was restored as of this morning at 11:30. Nice!

Do you know how long CBS HD programming was unavailable? A co-worker mentioned to me on Tuesday that "How I Met Your Mother" was in SD. I watched the episode, but I couldn't remember if it was in HD or SD.
post #177 of 407 Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Do you know how long CBS HD programming was unavailable? A co-worker mentioned to me on Tuesday that "How I Met Your Mother" was in SD. I watched the episode, but I couldn't remember if it was in HD or SD.

Nevermind... I saw from the link that it's been out since Sunday.
post #178 of 407 Old 05-09-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
What's up with the stretch-o-vision on WDJT-DT lately (when the HD wasn't working)? They were using that non-linear stretch mode the other night when I had it on, and I couldn't even make adjustments to get it back to a normal 4:3 mode. If they're going to stretch it, I wish they'd at least do it evenly so we can normalize it if our sets and tuners let us.
post #179 of 407 Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 PM

I haven't seen a QAM in the clear channel list lately for Milwaukee
NBCHD 1-4 (redirecting from 103-3)
CBSHD 58-1 (redirecting from 85-3)
FOXHD 103-2
ABCHD 85-12
CWHD 116-18
MYHD 77-3
PBSHD 116-1
post #180 of 407 Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJRyan82 View Post

I haven't seen a QAM in the clear channel list lately for Milwaukee
NBCHD 1-4 (redirecting from 103-3)
CBSHD 58-1 (redirecting from 85-3)
FOXHD 103-2
ABCHD 85-12
CWHD 116-18
MYHD 77-3
PBSHD 116-1

Must all depend on your TV as mine are currently (on a Sharp Aquos) as of 6/3/08. Sorry if these are not all HD. With the exception of WHA I am just trying to map the over-the-air antenna (O/A) to Time Warner QAM (T/W).

O/A T/W
4.2 WxPlus .104 (redirecting from 103.4)
6.1 WITI FOX-HD .506 (redirecting from 103.1)
18.1 WVTV CW-HD .518 (redirecting from 116.3)
4.1 WTMJ NBC-HD 1.4
24.1 WCGV MyTV-HD 77.1
10.2 mpTv VMe 77.2
58.1 WDJT CBS-HD 85.1
10.4 MPTV Create 85.2
12.1 WISN ABC-HD 85.3
58.3 WBME MeTV 85.5
10.3 MPTV Kids 103.2
WHA WHA 111.1
36.1 MPTV-HD 116.1
10.1 MPTV World 116.2

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception