Fort Smith, AR - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DirectTV finally switched the Fort Smith station names yesterday (maybe late Tuesday), but the OTA HD channels aren't showing up in the guide yet . I can get a decent signal for 27-1 which says it's mapped to 24.1, but can't get a picture on the old KPOM HD channel that's still in the guide or on any subchannels of the new stations when I manually enter those channel numbers.

Has anyone in the River Valley with D* been able to view the new stations in HD OTA through a D* box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheff View Post

... Has anyone in the River Valley with D* been able to view the new stations in HD OTA through a D* box?

rheff, I get my digital locals OTA with a D* H20 and D* Hughes HTL-HD. I receive 24-1 and 24-2 on both receivers, and as of this morning the guide has no program information for either channel, and the channels are unidentified, and just show up with their re-mapped channel numbers, 24-1 and 24-2. Prior to the changeover, I received KFTA-DT showing up as 27-1 on both receivers, with no identification or guide information. When I re-scanned for local channels recently, 27-1 went away.

I still haven't seen any true HD on KFTA. Prime time Fox programs on KFTA-DT show up in 4:3 format with black sidebars, but I get the same programs on Tulsa's KOKI-DT in HD with a 16:9 picture. I emailed KFTA and asked when they were going to HD, but haven't received a response yet.
post #573 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 PM

looks like they have fixed the problem on KNWA DT
post #574 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post

looks like they have fixed the problem on KNWA DT

51-1 is still not right. 51-2 seems ok though, @ 7:33pm.
post #575 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 06:05 PM

I don't see anything out of the ordinary with 51-1 or 51-2 since this afternoon. I do not have the pixelation anymore on either one.....

The picture does seem a little lower on 51-1, as I can see the "top" of the picture. I notice the same thing on KARK DT.......
post #576 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkeng View Post

rheff, I get my digital locals OTA with a D* H20 and D* Hughes HTL-HD...

Arkeng, refresh my memory. Do you have an H20-600 (LG) or -100 (RCA)?

[Oops. Edited to correct transposed model numbers]
post #577 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Arkie,

Are you getting KFTA-DT over there?
Just wondered, since you're also getting KARK-DT.
post #578 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM

I can't even get a signal to appear for KFTA DT. I have been getting KARK DT at night with about a 65 signal strength, but it drops every few minutes. I can also get KASN DT with about the same signal.

I get a very strong signal from KNWA (93), KFSM (88), and KHOG around 70.

From Springfield I get KYTV (93), and the other 3 low powers in the 20's. I have locked onto a signal from KOLR DT, and KSFX DT a few times. I can almost never get KOZK, and I am not sure why.....

When the atmosphere is right I have pulled in Tulsa, Wichita, and Kansas City.
post #579 of 3402 Old 08-31-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Arkeng, refresh my memory. Do you have an H20-100 (LG) or -600 (RCA)?

I think you meant -100 (RCA) or -600 (LG). Mine's a -600.

And an update, I finally saw a 16:9 picture from KFTA-HD tonight.
post #580 of 3402 Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post

... I can almost never get KOZK, and I am not sure why.....

Probably the same problem I have getting certain channels - CO-channel interference.

Have you ever picke up any of these channel 23s, even slightly? If so, co-channel interference is the likely culprit.
post #581 of 3402 Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 AM

I bet you are right. I had not thought of that. I see on that list there is a channel 23 here in Harrison. I bet it is the culprit.....
post #582 of 3402 Old 09-01-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

K23DU is overlapping into KOZK-DT's coverage area. Contact K23DU, KOZK and the FCC to complain. By clicking the station call letters at that ch 23 link I posted, you can find contact info for the stations in question.

LPTV stations are NOT allowed to interfere with a full power station within the full power stations' coverage area, and must move to a different channel. It doesn't matter who was on the air first. Full power stations have priority if both stations' coverage areas overlap. It doesn't matter if YOU live in both stations' coverage areas. The only issue is do their coverage areas overlap - and they definitely do.

I am going through this with a religious LPTV station here in Eureka Springs, K18EG. They're on channel 18, which is blocking KFSM-DT for me, which is also on channel 18. After I and others in the ESAR area filed complaints with KFSM-DT, K18EG and the FCC, K18EG applied for an emergency STA to move to ch 22. K18EG didn't realize they were on the same channel as KFSM-DT, which was also severely limiting their coverage area.

K18EG has already ordered their new antenna and will move to ch 22 as soon as they get everything installed.

If you need more info on how to file an FCC complaint, send me a PM.

[IMPORTANT EDIT: What a coincidence; I just noticed that K18EG and K23DU are owned by the same guy in Branson]

[Second edit to add links to coverage area maps.]
post #583 of 3402 Old 09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If anyone has a DirecTV receiver that cannot receive KNWA-DT or KFTA-DT, because the guide info is missing, contact:
mcleveland@knwa.com
brussell1@knwa.com
Have them get the guide info added to the D* Advanced Program Guide.

Also contact Tribune Media Services. They provide the EPG for DirecTV.
jkelleher@tribune.com

Contacting DirecTV is a complete waste of time.
post #584 of 3402 Old 09-01-2006, 03:24 PM

I just found out that due to a contract obligation, ABC is forcing us to delay several of the ABC college football games by a few minutes. We do not have the equipment we need to delay HD at that scale. So that means that even if they are in HD, they will not be aired in HD. We have ordered equipment to do it, but the estimated time of delivery is late October or early November.

4029engineering consists of several engineers who are HDTV viewers just like you. Anything said in this forum is their own opinion and not necessairly official KHBS/KHOG policy.
post #585 of 3402 Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 PM

Did anyone notice that Cox is now displaying a message on the TV guide channel that says that KHBS-DT may be pulled from Cox's cable lineup?
post #586 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4029engineering View Post

I just found out that due to a contract obligation, ABC is forcing us to delay several of the ABC college football games by a few minutes. We do not have the equipment we need to delay HD at that scale. So that means that even if they are in HD, they will not be aired in HD. We have ordered equipment to do it, but the estimated time of delivery is late October or early November.

I appreciate you letting us know, unlike the other stations who keep us guessing.

Wonder why they have them on delay?
post #587 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 AM

Due to them carrying the SEC Lincoln Financial (formerly Jefferson Pilot) game of the week, every 2:30 ABC game will be tape delayed. In years past, they play the entire pregame show, and then the game start, if they would cut off the pregame show and direct cut to the game, the need for tape delay wouldn't be needed. Frankly, when every other channel that has a game on is showing scores, it's pointless to do the tape delay as it ruins the broadcast to see the highlight on another channel, and then 20 minutes later get to see the play happen. Is there someone in programming we can complain too about not just cutting directly to the game vs. the delay? I would rather see the abc game in it's entirety, plus the games that get pre-empted vs. the SEC game, but I am fine with the business decision to carry it because of the potential for the Hogs to be on. I just with the tape delay wasn't done.
post #588 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 10:12 AM

I am in Bentonville with a Cox HD DVR Box. I've been able to watch ABC and CBS in HD for some time. Now I see the HD stations for the new Fox and NBC (House in HD!) but on my guide none of the programs are listed as being HD.

So are they HD or not?
post #589 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrendog View Post

Did anyone notice that Cox is now displaying a message on the TV guide channel that says that KHBS-DT may be pulled from Cox's cable lineup?

Same thing on Cox in Fayetteville. The scroll says KHOG-HD has not given Cox permission to carry their digital HD signal and if they don't give Cox permission by September 30, KHOG-HD will be dropped. That mean NO ABC HD for me. Also in the Cox guide for KHOG-HD, it says NO DATA but I still get the channel. I am not going with satellite or putting an antenna on my house for OTA.

I am not happy with KHOG, what's going on?
post #590 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 12:09 PM

KFTA-HD Saturday Programming

Saturday's KFTA-HD OTA transmission

But, hey, it's 16:9 HD! Or it might be a stretched 4:3. Can't really tell from the test pattern.

alphastrike, I don't know about Cox cable, but for the last couple of nights KFTA-HD (Fox 24) has been broadcasting HD OTA during primetime.

Edit -- To elaborate, KFTA-HD 24-1 OTA is transmitting a test pattern today. Their OTA analog channel, KFTA 24, is carrying the same NBC programming as KNWA-SD on 24-2. One might have expected that same NBC programming on KFTA-HD, like they are doing during the week, or hoped for some Fox sports programming during Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

An article in last Saturday's Fort Smith Times Record tried to outline KFTA's situation. As previously REPORTED HERE , Equity Broadcasting, the owner of KPBI, the old Fox affiliate, filed a complaint with the FCC that challenged the validity of the sale of KFTA from Nexstar to Mission Broadcasting. The Times Record article says, in part, "Until the FCC approves the transference of the KFTA broadcast license from Nexstar to Equity," (I think the reporter meant to say 'Mission'), "...KFTA will simulcast KNWA's programming from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m." So as of last week KFTA's license still has not been officially transferred to Mission, and apparently for some legal reasons they have to pretend they're still an NBC affiliate during the day until the transfer goes through.
post #591 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 02:23 PM

I live in Bentonville and I bought the 4228 to get myself setup on HD. I could get 5, 29, 13, and 51 but my signal was to weak to pick up 24 so I bought a CM 777 to see if it would help. Problem is when I installed it I lost signal. I checked my connections and all apear to be good. I did add a new cable into the mix but I believe it to be good. I plan to remove the CM777 and leave the extra cable to verify the cable is good. Any ideas what this might be?
post #592 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 03:17 PM

dpendle, did you lose signal on all channels or just channel 27? I've had excellent results on weak stations from Tulsa using a 4228 with a 7777 pre-amp. I have a rat's nest of cables and wires behind my entertainment center and have connected wrong cables to wrong boxes more than once. I would double-check my setup again to make sure there are no splitters in the cable between the amplifier's power supply and the amplifier, that the power supply has ac power, and that the coax is connected to the proper terminals on the power supply and the amplifier.
post #593 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

dpendle,

I had the exact same problem when I installed my 7777 preamp. It was like it wasnt getting any power. I left it in the box for a couple months, then decided to try it again, and all of a sudden it worked. You may want to try a different cable... I found that any coax that had been cut, and had a new end put on it, wouldn't work. I ended up having to go to Home Depot and getting a new 100 ft run, and then it worked. Try testing it out inside first...like use a paper clip for your "antenna", and do all the connections indoors to see if it works with the new coax...that way you wont have to spend time reinstalling it, only to find it doesnt work. Hope this helps

HD OTA From Houston, TX

KPRC 2 (NBC-HD)
KUHT 8 (PBS-HD)
KHOU 11 (CBS-HD)
KTRK 13 (ABC-HD)
KTXH 20 (MNTV-HD)
KRIV 26 (FOX-HD)
KIAH 39 (CW-HD)
post #594 of 3402 Old 09-02-2006, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpendle View Post

I live in Bentonville and I bought the 4228 to get myself setup on HD. I could get 5, 29, 13, and 51 but my signal was to weak to pick up 24 so I bought a CM 777 to see if it would help. Problem is when I installed it I lost signal. I checked my connections and all apear to be good. I did add a new cable into the mix but I believe it to be good...

Read the CM 7777 instructions and make absolutely sure you've connected all the antenna, preamp and power supply coax cables to the proper connectors. Also, do NOT put any splitters in the coax that connects the 7777 power supply brick and the preamp. Put splitters, if any, inline between the power brick and the TV.

Did you lose all channels?
post #595 of 3402 Old 09-03-2006, 04:33 AM

I checked my cables without the preamp/power supply using connectors and my signal came back. The signal dropped on all channels but the only one I lost completely was 51. I have a direct connection between the power supply. The preamp has the default switches set (combined, FM trap in).
post #596 of 3402 Old 09-03-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpendle View Post

I checked my cables without the preamp/power supply using connectors and my signal came back. The signal dropped on all channels but the only one I lost completely was 51. I have a direct connection between the power supply. The preamp has the default switches set (combined, FM trap in).

If everything is connected as above and your reception is worse with the preamp inline, you may have:
A defective preamp or power supply
A defective coaxial cable or connector
A defective 120v AC outlet
Signal overload
Co-channel interference from distant stations.
Bad karma

Here's a map of stations in the area (the blue circle is the coverage area for KNWA-DT):

[edited to correct URL]
post #597 of 3402 Old 09-03-2006, 08:22 AM

I'm guessing I have a bad preamp or power supply since I have verified all my cables are good by removing the preamp from the equation. I verified I had all my connections as shown in the picture above and I don't believe I have interference since my signal quality on all the stations drop when I put the preamp in place. Thanks.
post #598 of 3402 Old 09-03-2006, 02:41 PM

I wonder if Cox will drop KHOG? Guess I will resort to an indoor antenna for OTA HD. Since I can see the transmission towers from my front door, I should get good reception.
post #599 of 3402 Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 PM

arxaw - Thanks for your help. I just discovered that somehow my power supply didn't get hooked back up when I moved recently. I guess my antenna was functioning like a glorified set of rabbit years since there was no power to it. Now I'm getting 51.1 and 2, although pixelly. Hoping everyone is having that problem tonight or else I'll have to play with the antenna positioning tomorrow.
post #600 of 3402 Old 09-03-2006, 08:18 PM

i do not have any pixelation on 51 tonight.....
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page