post #631 of 3402 Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoliver View Post

In the local networks field, I have 3 things - "primary air," "secondary air" and "cable." None of them have zip codes entered.

Try entering your local zip code in the primary air field.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3402 Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 PM

Well I should have stated that I was going to try my luck at OTA HDTV with a one time $100 budget. As I stated, I currently have satellite and a dual-tuner DVR (that I absolutely love! and would miss dearly the ability to record 2 shows simultaneously).

That being said, I am looking at a cable package with Digital Cable + HDTV, 1 DVR, High speed internet. This cable package has about 60+ channels I don't already have (and realistically won't watch either) all this for $125/mth after taxes/fees/etc. I figure I can tack on another $25+ for VOIP (vonage, etc) and do away with my satellite and local phone/DSL connection. It definately isn't going to save me any money.. that is for sure! But for an extra $20/mth I will more than triple my download internet speed as well as get the 60+ channels & most importantly.. HDTV. It is just hard to justify spending $240 over the next 12 months in "renting" my television when I could spend the same price and "own" it.

So, a roof mounted antenna, ehh? A friend of mine who lives very close gets HDTV with his HD sat. receiver and an indoor zenith (previous model # mentioned). I'm sure that it could be much better with an outdoor antenna a preamp, etc. etc.. but even the $25 indoor antenna should be better than the picture I'm currently getting, no? So if that is the case I would be willing to spend the $125 for an OTA tuner and the $25 for the antenna making it $150 and owning some equipment rather than paying an additional $100 or so and owning nothing.

@TheOliver: Is your Samsung 360 standalone? or are you a sat. subscriber as well?
post #633 of 3402 Old 09-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbzilla View Post

...@TheOliver: Is your Samsung 360 standalone? or are you a sat. subscriber as well?

I get D* (DirecTV) through the 360. D* made me commit for 2 years when I upgraded about 18 months ago. One clarification from my previous post: There are people around here who seem to be getting HD OTA just fine with a cheap attic antenna. The combination of my location on the map, in relation to the position of the various transmission towers, plus the poor OTA antenna built into the 360, mean that the roof antenna probably gives me more. I say "probably" because I haven't tested an attic antenna, but it only makes sense that it would be better since it is: (a) bigger, and (b) outside. But since you are talking about a digital signal, remember that it can be more forgiving than an analog signal. Whereas analog might be somewhat "fuzzy" if the signal is less than perfect, digital will start pixelizing when the signal gets REALLY bad. I ran a signal test over the weekend (arxaw and some others here had to tell me how) and I discovered that my 2 best stations (KHOG-DT and KFSM-DT) are only coming in at about 10-50%. Yet they look good to me - no pixelation at all.

Does your Dish receiver have an open antenna input? If so why don't you pick up an attic antenna at Best Buy and just try it out. If it doesn't work, return it. I'd bet you can at least get 29.1 (KHOGDT - ABC) and 5.1 (KFSMDT - CBS). (Later edit - I guess this won't work after all since, if I understood your previous post correctly, your present Dish box doesn't tune HD. Maybe you can upgrade through them to an HD DVR, although you may have to commit for another 2 years)
post #634 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Yes, I've seen NBC-HD on 51-1.
Are you watching NBC on 51-1 or 24-2?
24-2 is NBC-SD

That's the issue. I re-scanned and still didn't get 51-1. Do 24-2 and 51-1 use the same tower?
post #635 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No. And the towers are in different locations geographically.

Here's a map showing some of the different transmitter locations for nwa. The blue circle is KNWA's approx coverage area. The purple line is the direction I have my antenna aimed. I get all the stations on that map except KFTA, due to co-channel interference from a springfield station on the same channel.

mwclark, please put your location in your profile. you can edit your profile here. :-)
post #636 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 07:05 AM

Liked: 11
Regarding the issue with Cox and KHBS-DT/KHOG-DT:

I sent an e-mail to the TV station this morning about it and they said that they are asking Cox for "fair compensation" for their HD signal to be carried. So I guess it's more about money then just permission.
post #637 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbzilla View Post

Well I should have stated that I was going to try my luck at OTA HDTV with a one time $100 budget.

hobzilla,
What brand and specific model# TV are you currently using?
post #638 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 07:33 AM

KHBS-KHOG-TV (Channels 40/29) and KHBS-KHOG-DT (Channels 15/21), the Fort Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Roger's leading analog and digital television stations, respectively, today announced that the digital high definition signal of KHBS-KHOG-DT may no longer be carried on Cox cable television systems effective October 1, 2006, if the parties are unable to conclude retransmission-consent negotiations currently underway.

The removal of the station's digital signals from the Cox system will only result if negotiations between representatives of Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc., KHBS-KHOG TV's parent company, and Cox are unsuccessful in reaching a conclusion before October 1, 2006. Hearst-Argyle is seeking fair and reasonable terms from Cox in return for allowing Cox to carry KHBS-KHOG-DT's programming and charge its subscribers for that programming. So as not to inconvenience a large number of its viewers, Hearst-Argyle currently anticipates that it will allow Cox to continue to retransmit KHBS-KHOG-TV's primary analog signal while the companies continue to work in good faith toward a resolution of retransmission consent terms. Hearst-Argyle will decline to permit Cox, however, also to carry KHBS-KHOG-DT's valuable high-definition digital programming if Cox refuses to complete a long-term contract governing the carriage of it.

We're greatly disappointed that Cox has yet to arrive at a mutually satisfactory solution, said Jim Prestwood, KHBS-KHOG-TV/DT president and general manager. Our station is a leader in our market and we've made substantial investments to bring our viewers high definition digital programming. Cox has been actively promoting to current and prospective subscribers the addition of our digital channel to its lineup, and charging its subscribers a premium for our high-definition signals. We're certainly supportive of their adding and promoting our high-definition programming. But they won't come to terms with us on providing fair consideration for that right. To allow any re-distributor of our station's digital signal to benefit economically from our efforts without providing us a reasonable contract for that right would be unacceptable for us. We sincerely hope we and Cox can conclude our negotiations before October 1 so as not to deprive any of our respective viewers and customers of high definition programming, Prestwood added

4029engineering consists of several engineers who are HDTV viewers just like you. Anything said in this forum is their own opinion and not necessairly official KHBS/KHOG policy.
post #639 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Cox has been actively promoting to current and prospective subscribers the addition of our digital channel to its lineup, and charging its subscribers a premium for our high-definition signals

I seem to recall being told by Cox that they do not charge extra for the HD channels (except for the premium HD movie channels). Actually I don't think you even have to subscribe to digital cable to receive the local HD channels, like KHBS-DT.
post #640 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't current rules allow broadcasters to either:
1. Force cablecos to carry their digital channel at no cost to either party?
2. Force cableos to PAY for digital signal carriage or bar them from carriage?
I've never liked cable, but if this is correct then the broadcasters seem to be having their cake & eating it too. I guess the best lobbyists win.

It appears that both cox and hearst/argyle benefit from cable carriage of HD channels. Cox subscribers are happier (and more likely to stay subscribed because hd channels are included in basic cable), and hearst/argyle gets more viewers so they can charge higer rates for commercials. Yet, hearst/argyle wants money for something that benefits them.

I smell greed.
post #641 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4029engineering View Post

... Cox has been actively promoting to current and prospective subscribers the addition of our digital channel to its lineup, and charging its subscribers a premium for our high-definition signals....

This is absolute KHOGwash.

Local HD/digital broadcast channels are included in the cost of BASIC cable. Cablecos do not scramble and cannot charge extra for them. By law, they are not encrypted and all that's needed to view them is a digital-cable-ready set or cheap set top box.
post #642 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkHedd View Post

I seem to recall being told by Cox that they do not charge extra for the HD channels (except for the premium HD movie channels). Actually I don't think you even have to subscribe to digital cable to receive the local HD channels, like KHBS-DT.

BulkHedd, this is correct. No "digital cable" subscription is needed - just a digital cable ready TV or digital tuner add-on for monitors or analog sets.
post #643 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 10:10 AM

If I wasn't on D*, this would frustrate me because I don't have a QAM tuner, nor does my HD have a built in tuner, just an HD monitor with analog tuners. I thought about switching to cable, but would have to rent their box to get any HD, which gets Cox more money. I don't blame KHOG for trying to get a piece of the pie since it was their expense to put all the equipment in place.
post #644 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM

Cox - Hearst-Argyle Station Q&A
(as of 9/1/06)

Q: Which Hearst-Argyle stations are withdrawing their signals from Cox systems?

A: (Initially), the digital-only signals of KOCO, WDSU, KETV, KMBC, KHBS/KHOG, WESH and WKCF may be (have been) withdrawn.

Please note - the term withdrawing our signals may be a bit of a misnomer. We are simply asking for fair consideration from Cox in return for granting them permission to carry our digital signals, just as any sensibly managed provider of a valuable product or service would, in our position. We remain optimistic that we will reach agreement before the October 1 deadline.

Q: Are you demanding carriage of your multicast signals?

A: Hearst-Argyle is asking for carriage of its full digital broadcast signals. Currently, its digital broadcast signals consist of high-definition programming in most markets.

The digital stations WDSU-DT, New Orleans, and WESH-DT, Orlando, are also are streaming on their digital band the local weather service NBC Weather Plus (in addition to NBC high-definition (HD) programming), though these channels currently are not being carried on the local Cox systems.

We believe this is exactly the sort of high-value programming the FCC and the Congress expect responsible broadcasters to provide with the digital spectrum. Viewer response to Weather Plus, where it has been available over other cable systems, has been resoundingly positive. In Louisville, our CBS affiliate offered a multicast of the NCAA basketball tournament through an arrangement with a Louisville cable provider, again to very positive response.

Q: What kind of consideration are you seeking from Cox for carriage of your digital signals?

A: As a matter of policy, we (Hearst-Argyle) don't discuss terms of negotiations, especially in deference to MSOs, who have traditionally insisted on the inclusion of confidentiality clauses in any final agreements. Since we've been negotiating in good faith with Cox, we would not discuss the specific terms. We can say that we are asking for terms that are consistent with other agreements we have entered into with other distributors; they are reasonable, and reflect the value of the local Hearst-Argyle signal.

Q: Why now?

A: The business model for local television continues to evolve. Consumers want unfettered access to whatever TV programming they desire, regardless of time of day or day of week. And they continue to want local news and other local programming. Leading local TV stations, such as ours, now that they are digitally upgraded, are poised to provide additional local digital services to our communities.

But there has been significant cost involved with our getting to this stage. The expense of providing digital TV (DTV) to viewers has come at great expense to TV station owners - more than $2 million per station to upgrade digitally. For a cable provider to simply repackage our HDTV services and offer them to subscribers while offering us no financial consideration is unfair.

Q: Are you getting the same compensation for your digital signals from other distributors?

A: We are seeking no more from Cox than a fair and equitable agreement in line with our contracts with other distributors.

Q: Are you holding open the possibility of withdrawing your analog signals?

A: We are currently on a short-term extension and can not predict what the outcome will be. Obviously we are hopeful that both sides will reach a satisfactory resolution.

Q: Is this step with the HD signals a precursor to Hearst-Argyle pulling its stations' analog signals from Cox?

A: (Same answer as above)

Q: Is Lifetime negotiating your retransmission consent agreements this time?

A: Hearst-Argyle in the past has appointed Lifetime as its agent to negotiate various retransmission arrangements, but, currently, this is not a Lifetime Television programming negotiation.

Q: Isn't it true that Hearst-Argyle will not sign a retransmission agreement if Cox does not also sign a Lifetime and/or Lifetime Movie Network (LMN) contract?

A: It is not true. This is a negotiation between Hearst-Argyle and Cox.

Q: Is the problem that Hearst-Argyle is asking for dramatically more money?

A: Hearst-Argyle has a history of fair dealing and providing excellent value to its distribution partners. Due to the aforementioned confidentiality agreements related to various negotiations and prior transactions, we can not comment on specifics.

Q: By turning off your signal, aren't you simply hurting your customers?

A: Hearst-Argyle signals are available to all customers over-the-air; we have not turned off our signals.

However, broadcasters have the right under the law to negotiate for fair value with cable operators who re-distribute our signals and charge customers for it. We can not continue to provide the signals to a distributor who is unwilling to enter into a fair agreement with us. The consideration that we get from such agreements make us better able to re-invest in the programming, such as our leading local newscasts, that our viewers and the MSOs' subscribers have come to depend upon.

We have concluded such agreements with other cable operators. While we would like to continue to provide our signals, if we were to feel that Cox were taking advantage of our gesture of good faith and using it against us to avoid reaching an agreement, we would have to act in our best interests.

4029engineering consists of several engineers who are HDTV viewers just like you. Anything said in this forum is their own opinion and not necessairly official KHBS/KHOG policy.
post #645 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj829 View Post

... I thought about switching to cable, but would have to rent their box to get any HD, which gets Cox more money. I don't blame KHOG for trying to get a piece of the pie since it was their expense to put all the equipment in place.

Oh, like cox hasn't installed new equipment to decode/reencode the signal and add it to their channel lineup, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO THE SUBSCRIBER? I'm sure khog didn't pay for all of that equipment.

If you need a QAM tuner, you don't have to get a new TV or rent one from cox. Just buy one. It would pay for itself in little time, compared to renting a box from the cableco.

I hope cox just drops the damn channel. If people want it bad enough they can go buy an antenna and watch it that way. It's not rocket science. And the PQ is probably better and more reliable than cable, anyway.
post #646 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 11:36 AM

I'm sorry but I think this will ultimately hurt the viewers. If Cox agrees to pay for the HD channels then they will just pass that cost on to their customers. Cox already airs the analog channel for free and the digital channel is available OTA for free. Why should we have to pay to get the digital channel over cable? I understand the need to recuperate the costs associated with moving to HD but how will pulling your station from Cox help with that? In that case almost all of your viewers will be watching OTA for free but you'll lose advertising revenue from cable subscribers.
post #647 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:

KHBS-KHOG-TV (Channels 40/29) and KHBS-KHOG-DT (Channels 15/21), the Fort Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Roger's leading analog and digital television stations, respectively, today announced that the digital high definition signal of KHBS-KHOG-DT may no longer be carried on Cox cable television systems effective October 1, 2006, if the parties are unable to conclude retransmission-consent negotiations currently underway.

The removal of the station's digital signals from the Cox system will only result if negotiations between representatives of Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc., KHBS-KHOG TV's parent company, and Cox are unsuccessful in reaching a conclusion before October 1, 2006. Hearst-Argyle is seeking fair and reasonable terms from Cox in return for allowing Cox to carry KHBS-KHOG-DT's programming and charge its subscribers for that programming. So as not to inconvenience a large number of its viewers, Hearst-Argyle currently anticipates that it will allow Cox to continue to retransmit KHBS-KHOG-TV's primary analog signal while the companies continue to work in good faith toward a resolution of retransmission consent terms. Hearst-Argyle will decline to permit Cox, however, also to carry KHBS-KHOG-DT's valuable high-definition digital programming if Cox refuses to complete a long-term contract governing the carriage of it.

We're greatly disappointed that Cox has yet to arrive at a mutually satisfactory solution, said Jim Prestwood, KHBS-KHOG-TV/DT president and general manager. Our station is a leader in our market and we've made substantial investments to bring our viewers high definition digital programming. Cox has been actively promoting to current and prospective subscribers the addition of our digital channel to its lineup, and charging its subscribers a premium for our high-definition signals. We're certainly supportive of their adding and promoting our high-definition programming. But they won't come to terms with us on providing fair consideration for that right. To allow any re-distributor of our station's digital signal to benefit economically from our efforts without providing us a reasonable contract for that right would be unacceptable for us. We sincerely hope we and Cox can conclude our negotiations before October 1 so as not to deprive any of our respective viewers and customers of high definition programming, Prestwood added

This is absolute BULL***T.

KHOG can take their pompus digital signal and do something with it, which, if mentioned, would have me removed from this board.

No NFL = No leverage for ABC.

Good luck.

And, not to make Cox out to be the Saints here, but the one reason I've stuck with cable vs. satellite has been the locals in HD. If this becomes a trend, Cox loses one of their advantages to sat.
post #648 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Cox already airs the analog channel for free...

Really?? I haven't paid Cox a penny, and when I hook up my cable in my house to the line running from their box.. all I get is static. hmmmm.. I wonder what they would say if I told them I should be getting the local station's analog channel off their wire for free (as stated) -- and I just promise I won't watch any of the other stations that I should be paying basic cable for...
post #649 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 02:01 PM

What I meant was they don't charge any extra for you to watch the local analog channels. They're included in the price of basic cable and always have been.
post #650 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Does your Dish receiver have an open antenna input? If so why don't you pick up an attic antenna at Best Buy and just try it out. If it doesn't work, return it. I'd bet you can at least get 29.1 (KHOGDT - ABC) and 5.1 (KFSMDT - CBS). (Later edit - I guess this won't work after all since, if I understood your previous post correctly, your present Dish box doesn't tune HD. Maybe you can upgrade through them to an HD DVR, although you may have to commit for another 2 years)

No I have a DISH DVR 625. It is not an HD tuner. I called DISH and can upgrade to a DISH Network ViP622 HD Receiver Dual DVR. Which would be perfect!! EXCEPT: It would cost $199.99. I would have to sign an 18mth agreement. Upgrade my service to include HD programming OR pay a $6/mth HD service fee (WHAT??). If I cancelled my service at any time there would be a early activation fee of $250. Of course I don't own the equipment at the end either so wouldn't be able to sell it.

I thought that sounded great!!!! ....but decided I would rather hang myself.

I did see that I can buy these units new on eBay for almost the cost I can build a really nice HTPC for... Which is what I think I may be doing. I found a few HD Tuner cards for my pc for $75-100 - that along with a $20 antenna may make my $100 budget. Seeing as all I care about at the moment is is OTA and not QAM I think this would work.. my only problem is the output from the Video card I have (ATI all-in-wonder 9600) is either S-video or VGA. I am wondering how well this would work though.. with a VGA to component cable.. I would need at least 6 feet.. I guess it is a good thing my PC is close to my living room TV.
post #651 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:

What I meant was they don't charge any extra for you to watch the local analog channels. They're included in the price of basic cable and always have been.

So by that reasoning -- the HD signal is not provided for free either. It is _included_ in the price for basic cable. Which means you are paying for it.
post #652 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 03:26 PM

ABC doesn't have NFL now, but the other Hearst stations in the above post did include NBC, which does not only have the NFL, but also the Nascar Chase for the Cup running after this weekend. Sure, Hearst is trying to capitalize on the lowly cable operators, but since so many can receive the signal OTA for free, I would think that they will just be hurting themselves to an extent unless they put out some good Did You Know's....about being able to receive an HD signal thru OTA and not even needing cable. With so many people out there having HD sets, but no idea what HD programming really is, it may help all of our causes in the long run to get some type of public dispute out there over signal carriage. The more that watch it OTA, the more the people complain about pixelation issues, signal unreliability, tape-delayed football, and any other complaints that come about with not only KHOG, but the other 3 HD broadcasters. D* and E* then look and see the dispute, and realize the market may be ripe to hit for local HD carriage, and suddenly the local big 4 are being advertised as being carried on D* or E* and not cable. That may be a pipedream with the small market, but you never know! I wonder how many tv sales people that sell HD's even know what a QAM tuner is to tell people about when buying an HD set, Cox sure isn't going to give out that info. If Hearst really wanted to get crappy, they would run info spots on how you can receive their HD signal thru the cable already coming into your house without renting the cable box and the extra cost for a one time fee of $_____ to buy the box. The multicasting is crap though, and if stations require cable or sat dish to carry those stupid channels, then they shouldn't get more money. If cable is going to try and lure people in by offering something at a charge that is really free OTA, then why shouldn't the station get a cut? You can promote and make money off of my product that I put out, but I can't have any of it?
post #653 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Q: Why now?

A: The business model for local television continues to evolve. Consumers want unfettered access to whatever TV programming they desire, regardless of time of day or day of week. And they continue to want local news and other local programming. Leading local TV stations, such as ours, now that they are digitally upgraded, are poised to provide additional local digital services to our communities.

But there has been significant cost involved with our getting to this stage. The expense of providing digital TV (DTV) to viewers has come at great expense to TV station owners - more than $2 million per station to upgrade digitally. For a cable provider to simply repackage our HDTV services and offer them to subscribers while offering us no financial consideration is unfair.

Business model? You will readily broadcast it OTA for free but won't allow Cox to transmit it through cable without being paid more? $2 million in costs for upgrading your equipment? Hey, my business has to make capital expenditures all the time. That's business. Some of it I can pass on to my customers directly and some I have to either absorb or pass on indirectly. If I tell one client that I am raising his rate 10% because my rent went up, but I also tell him that I'm not raising the next guy's rate, he's going to feel he's being singled out. Why not just charge your advertisers more? I hope Cox doesn't capitulate and then "Hearst-Argyle" has to tell their advertisers that they are the only broadcasters that only reach OTAs with its HD signal. I'll bet that is a small fraction of the overall customers. I guarantee I'll start advertising on CBS and NBC if that's the case. I'm no fan of Cox, but I'll bet they didn't ask "Hearst-Argyle" for a haircut on whatever they are now paying when they had to spend a ton of money to upgrade their infrastructure a few years back. They just raised their rates to their viewers. (I can't believe I find myself defending Cox cable ...)

And another thing - I'm a lawyer and can appreciate a good shovelfull of B/S when I smell it, but I don't buy this. These freaking stations wait until the last minute to comply with their mandated upgrades (KNWA anyone?), after spending God-knows how much money to lobby Congress not to even require the mandate, then they complain and whine about what is "fair," like they are about to go broke. Give me a break.

40/29 Engineering - I hope you held your collective noses and the suits made you post the earlier 2 posts.
post #654 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I hope Cox doesn't capitulate and then "Hearst-Argyle" has to tell their advertisers that they are the only broadcasters that only reach OTAs with its HD signal. I'll bet that is a small fraction of the overall customers. I guarantee I'll start advertising on CBS and NBC if that's the case. I'm no fan of Cox, but I'll bet they didn't ask "Hearst-Argyle" for a haircut on whatever they are now paying when they had to spend a ton of money to upgrade their infrastructure a few years back. They just raised their rates to their viewers. (I can't believe I find myself defending Cox cable ...)

1. I ALMOST hope that Cox takes the Gvt. stance of not negotiating with "terrorists." If they bend to Hearst, you know the other broadcasters will want their piece of the pie.

2. This is like the Yankees vs. Satan. Who do you root for?

3. I have to think this will be resolved amicably before the 1st. If not, everyone loses. Cox has one less benefit to satellite. KHOG loses viewers, thus they lose ad revenue, and the consumer (at least those of us that live in the pesky mountains) loses access to ABC-HD programming. Lose-Lose-Lose.
post #655 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 06:42 PM

"There was never any doubt that the deals would be reached in my mind," said Duane Lammers, chief operations officer of Nexstar Broadcasting Group of Irving, Texas. "We didn't keep any secrets as to what our intentions were from the beginning. We either come to an agreement or we pull the signal, which we have done in the past. It's only fair to be compensated for a service you provide."

Nexstar has wrapped up retransmission consent agreements with the cable providers in the state that carry its stations' signals: Cox Communications Inc., Wehco Video Inc. and Comcast. Nexstar owns KARK- TV, Channel 4, in Little Rock; KNWA-TV, Channel 51, in Fayetteville; and KFTA-TV, Channel 24 in Fort Smith. "

Amazing what a little "google" time can turn up, isn't it?

post #656 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:

"There was never any doubt that the deals would be reached in my mind," said Duane Lammers, chief operations officer of Nexstar Broadcasting Group of Irving, Texas. "We didn't keep any secrets as to what our intentions were from the beginning. We either come to an agreement or we pull the signal, which we have done in the past. It's only fair to be compensated for a service you provide."

Nexstar has wrapped up retransmission consent agreements with the cable providers in the state that carry its stations' signals: Cox Communications Inc., Wehco Video Inc. and Comcast. Nexstar owns KARK- TV, Channel 4, in Little Rock; KNWA-TV, Channel 51, in Fayetteville; and KFTA-TV, Channel 24 in Fort Smith. "

Amazing what a little "google" time can turn up, isn't it?

Since I guess your point is that it's ok to do it because your competitors are too, I can only ask myself why Cox isn't completely capitulating to your company's ultimatum. After all, a precedent has been set, right? The only thing I can think of is that your company is overreaching on what it wants Cox to pay.

I guess we'll see, and I suspect the deal will get done since both sides can't afford to lose. But can't you appreciate that viewers don't like possibly losing what they have been waiting on for YEARS just because two big corporations are posturing? I hoped you would agree (even though you certainly can't say so) since you work in the engineering side and can appreciate continuing to get the new technology to more people.
post #657 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Is Fox up and running on 24.1? I'm unable to receive the station OTA if it's up. I'm receiving the other 3 networks in HD with no problem, which is leaving me puzzled.
post #658 of 3402 Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post

Is Fox up and running on 24.1? I'm unable to receive the station OTA if it's up. I'm receiving the other 3 networks in HD with no problem, which is leaving me puzzled.

Yes

Kimmie, are you still using an indoor antenna?
post #659 of 3402 Old 09-08-2006, 07:46 AM

I'm in Springdale and get ABC,NBC and CBS but no FOX. Isn't 24.1 coming from basically the same place as CBS out of Ft. Smith. I get that one at 95%. Why wouldn't 24.1 be showing anything? I too have an attic antenna.

Different question while I have your attention. I have Dish and get the guide for CBS HD but don't get it for NBC or ABC. Why would that be. No big deal unless I want to DVR something.
post #660 of 3402 Old 09-08-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Kimmie, are you still using an indoor antenna?

Yes, I've been lucky enough to get the other 3 networks well with an indoor electric Samsung antenna, literally sitting hidden behind my tv. I guess we'll have to move it to the attic and fish wires down tonight. I ran the scan on the tv and it picked the station up as HD, but I've yet to get a picture. I'm in North Springdale, surely I can pick it up.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page