Fort Smith, AR - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3402 Old 11-02-2006, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Basically, KFDF-CA is what used to be the UPN station out of Fort Smith (was on channel 4 on Cox in Fayetteville). After everything settled out, they are now an affiliate of RTN, the Retro Television Network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3402 Old 11-02-2006, 05:16 PM

The "Retro Television Network"? So there's 12 hours of Matlock...um ok.

Wonder why Cox put this in the HD tier?
post #903 of 3402 Old 11-07-2006, 06:29 PM

This was in today's Northwest Arkansas Times:

A battle of semantics has risen in the ongoing negotiations between Cox Communications and a few television stations run by Hearst-Argyle Television Inc.

Representatives from both sides have attempted to reach a deal in which Hearst-Argyle would be compensated by Cox in exchange for the ability to air its highdefinition format.

On Monday, the cable company distributed an e-mail claiming the broadcaster has attempted to mislead viewers in Northwest Arkansas with messages that Cox charges its subscribers to access highdefinition programming. The messages equated a fee from Cox for HD receivers and CableCARD to the cable company requiring its patrons to pay to access the new technology.

We don't charge customers for broadcast digital signals, said Sarah Kauffman, a Cox public affairs manager. None of those costs go through to the consumer. KHOG, when they're saying we do charge, there is a fee for a digital box, but that's because it's a piece of equipment that a customer rents. It has nothing to do with paying for the HD stations.

That argument points to a difference in opinion between the two sides, said Jim Prestwood, president and general manager of KHBS / KHOG, the Hearst-Argyle stations acting as the ABC affiliate in Fort Smith and Northwest Arkansas.

KHBS / KHOG is one of several Hearst-Argyle stations involved in the negotiations. The others include stations in New Orleans; Oklahoma City; Omaha, Neb.; and Orlando, Fla. The parent company contends that it has a right to fair compensation from Cox Communications because of the monthly fees for the equipment needed to access high-definition feeds.

One of the issues we've been trying to bring out with a lot of the views and folks we've talked to is there are other stations being compensated in our market and markets across the country, Prestwood said. Based on our investments in HD technology in the past four years, we feel entitled to a fair compensation.

Cox Communications has responded by claiming Hearst-Argyle's proposal would cost Cox subscribers millions of dollars, but that it is willing to continue negotiating toward an agreement beneficial to both parties.

In the meantime, Kauffman said ABC viewers in Northwest Arkansas still have access to all the available programming. Since pulling the KHBS / KHOG high-definition channel on Oct. 1, Cox Communications has continued carrying the station's analog channel, as well as introducing a highdefinition version of KTULABC from Tulsa.

That station carries neither Northwest Arkansas news nor Lincoln Financial Sports' coverage of the Southeastern Conference, but neither of those programs came in high definition through KHBS / KHOG, Kauffman said.

Kauffman added that the cable company has signed contracts for high-definition signals, but such action is done on a case-by-case basis, depending whether they make broadcasting sense for the customers and financial sense for the company.

Until then, both sides could continue issuing statements to their patrons in the individual markets explaining their points of view as they await the results of a discussion at the national corporate level.

I got the impression from talking to our corporate folks that they felt like we'd have something worked out in the next couple of weeks, but you never know, Prestwood said.
post #904 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 07:55 AM

I am still confused as to what channel via Cox Cable on my QAM tuner KNWA HD went to. It was on 108.2, but as reported a few weeks ago, that is now a video feed for PBS for a second and then a blank screen. Calling Cox does no good as I can't get to anyone that can understand the question. Calling KNWA does no good for basically the same reason. They forward me to Engineering who never picks up the transfer. Emailing does no good either.

Is anyone out there getting KNWA HD on basic Cox cable thru their HD tuner? If so, what channel is it on? Thanks.
post #905 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ubdkjrb,
Did you email the station manager? brussell1@knwa.com ?
Also try: mycomments@knwa.com
post #906 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
I have had a problem with the HD broadcast of NCIS for two weeks in a row now. I have my DVR set to record it and last week it would just freeze and not really play anything at all. This week I was recording it but also trying to watch it live and it just either showed a frozen frame or a black screen. Every other HD show I watch is fine (for the most part), including other shows on CBS. It only seems to affect NCIS. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone else even watch NCIS ?
post #907 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Cable DVR or Satellite/OTA DVR?
post #908 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 AM

I'm using the Cox Cable Motorola DVR (6412 phase III)
post #909 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

call your cableco and complain.
post #910 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 PM

I think I will. Tonight I'm noticing A LOT audio dropouts and pixellation on the same station/time slot tonight. I even switched my TV to the QAM tuner and it's doing the same thing so I know it's not my DVR.
post #911 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM

Tonight I was trying to watch Jericho in HD. Switched from my Cox Motorola 6412 and OTA from KSFM Channel 5. The pixelation and audio drop outs were horrible on both cable and OTA. It made the program nearly unwatchable. Anyone else experience this?
post #912 of 3402 Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM

Yes, that is what was happening to me as well. I didn't check OTA but it was happening on my 6412 and on the coax.
post #913 of 3402 Old 11-09-2006, 08:26 PM

Same thing while trying to watch CSI and then Shark. The first 10 minutes of both shows were freezes, horrible pixellation, audio drop outs and switching back and forth from the digital to the HD picture. This is getting very annoying. I couldn't even pick KFSM's HD signal up on OTA.
post #914 of 3402 Old 11-10-2006, 06:53 AM

Yeah, it hacked me off. I had great hopes of watching the trailer for Spider-Man 3, and switched over to watch it. 90% of the trailer was not in HD, had audio dropouts the whole way through, then when it did switch to HD it didn't stick.

Guess I'll have to go and find the trailer and watch it that way.

KFSM needs to fix their problem. They were (I believe) the first in the area to do HD. We shouldn't still be having these problems.
post #915 of 3402 Old 11-10-2006, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #916 of 3402 Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Seeing macroblocking on 29-1 this morning. Signal strength is steady 100% as always. My neighbor says he is seeing the same thing.

Anyone else having problems w/ 29-1 today?
post #917 of 3402 Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 PM

While I agree that Cox shouldn't be paying to show KHOG in HD, its not like I don't have any complaints to the company that gets $140.00 of my monthly paycheck.

Moving here from DFW 2 years ago, I would have thought that by now, we would at least have Video on Demand. My first VOD purchase was made 4 years ago. This is not new technology. Someone in their corporate offices should figure it out. It seems that every time I go in to replace my dysfunctional Motorola HD DVR (more on that later) they tell me that Video on Demand (including HD VOD) will be here shortly. Alas, 2 years later and still no service. The XBOX 360 is about to offer a service similar to VOD via downloads, you would think by this time that Cox could get its act together.

My other complaint is the shoddy equipment that Cox sticks us with. The Motorola DCT 6412 technology is also 2 years old, and there are plenty of alternatives out there leap years ahead of it in technology. I was happy to hear that Cox signed a deal replace the Motorola boxes with HD TiVo boxes, but that being said, it won't happen until the mythical "early" in 2007. This means it will come to fruition in June of 2008.

Yea for Cox!

Sorry for my rant, I just get frustrated when I have an HBO show that I should be able to order on demand experience a recording error on my crappy DCT6412.
post #918 of 3402 Old 11-13-2006, 04:42 PM

Maybe I just figured something out. My box was tuned to KFSM HD (710 in Fort Smith) and suddenly during Wheel of Fortune (I don't watch it I just didn't change it after the news) the screen went blank. Then a screen popped up that showed some kind of KFSM desktop and a Windows error box. I didn't get a chance to read it but if they're using Windows to run the programming no wonder there are so many problems!
By the way, I'm a Windows user myself.
post #919 of 3402 Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr04 View Post

While I agree that Cox shouldn't be paying to show KHOG in HD, its not like I don't have any complaints to the company that gets $140.00 of my monthly paycheck.

Moving here from DFW 2 years ago, I would have thought that by now, we would at least have Video on Demand. My first VOD purchase was made 4 years ago. This is not new technology. Someone in their corporate offices should figure it out. It seems that every time I go in to replace my dysfunctional Motorola HD DVR (more on that later) they tell me that Video on Demand (including HD VOD) will be here shortly. Alas, 2 years later and still no service. The XBOX 360 is about to offer a service similar to VOD via downloads, you would think by this time that Cox could get its act together.

My other complaint is the shoddy equipment that Cox sticks us with. The Motorola DCT 6412 technology is also 2 years old, and there are plenty of alternatives out there leap years ahead of it in technology. I was happy to hear that Cox signed a deal replace the Motorola boxes with HD TiVo boxes, but that being said, it won't happen until the mythical "early" in 2007. This means it will come to fruition in June of 2008.

Yea for Cox!

Sorry for my rant, I just get frustrated when I have an HBO show that I should be able to order on demand experience a recording error on my crappy DCT6412.

VOD isn't happening quickly in some markets because there's not a great deal of profit in it. Did Cox offer VOD in Dallas as a freebie? I think that's the deal in most places.

The Moto DVR with the TIVO interface will happen pretty quickly I think. There was an article about this in the WSJ just the other day. The cable companies sounded hot to roll it out. Unlike VOD, there is money to be made with DVRs.

Re: your unreliable 6412, have you tried moving it to get 3-4" of clearance? They tend to run hot and will do better if given adequate ventilation. Also you can try to get one of the models with a built-in fan.
post #920 of 3402 Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 AM

I'm still having a lot of problems with KFSM-HD. I e-mailed those two contacts and only one responded (Jimmy Poole). He basically said he would look into it.
Last night none of the shows were watchable. I had my DVR set to record so I didn't get to watch anything. For some reason when the picture messes up it really screws up the DVR recording of it.
post #921 of 3402 Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the help. To answer your questions, VOD wasn't free, except for premium channels that you already payed for. It just blows my mind how long its taken them to get it rolling.
post #922 of 3402 Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't had any problems with KFSM-DT 5-1 (OTA).

I have had intermittent pixelization on KHOG-DT 29-1 lately, and the signal strength is 100% on both my HD tuners. Their encoder or STL must be mucking up.
post #923 of 3402 Old 11-22-2006, 06:07 PM

I don't have an antenna but it is just horrible over the cable. Monday's shows were unwatchable and right now it's unwatchable. I tried tuning my TV directly to 125.1 and all I get most of the time is "Not Authorized" with occasional, very brief, flashes of program.
If someone sees this in time can you check the signal. I'm sure the OTA is fine but I don't know if the problem is Cox or KFSM. I also noticed tonight that 125.2 is screwed up as well. I don't know what channel that is though.
Most HD channels come through fine.
post #924 of 3402 Old 11-23-2006, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What about KHOG-DT? Are you having problems with it on cable?
I get intermittent macroblocking on it - usually happens in the mornings.
post #925 of 3402 Old 11-23-2006, 06:11 AM

Well I'm in Fort Smith and we no longer have KHBS/KHOG-DT on the cable, only KTUL. I see occasional blocking on it but it's still totally watchable. The KFSM issue is so bad you absolutely cannot watch the show at all.
post #926 of 3402 Old 11-23-2006, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DOH! Forgot about the hearst BS w/ cox.

KFSM for me is perfect OTA.
Eliminate an extra source of trouble (cable or sat provider) and get an antenna.

I suspect KHOG-DT's macroblocking is a station problem. In the past, a problem with their STL was causing it.
post #927 of 3402 Old 11-24-2006, 01:54 PM

KFSM has been fine OTA.

Question - I've got a db8 antenna, and I am picking up KFSM and KFTA. KFSM is at 22deg, and KFTA is at 27deg, both at about 55 miles. I want to pick up KHBS, which is at 272deg, and only 3.5 miles away.

Is the best solution to get a jointenna and an omni-directional antenna, in addition to the DB8?

Thanks for your input.
post #928 of 3402 Old 11-24-2006, 04:06 PM

You should be able to get KHBS-DT without a separate antenna if you have the right antenna and decent box/tuner. What brand is db8? Are you using a preamp, if so what kind? What kind of box/tuner are you using?
post #929 of 3402 Old 11-24-2006, 05:47 PM

The DB8 is an 8 bay from antennasdirect (similar to a CM4228). I am using a CM7777 preamp.

My Vizio TV has an integrated tuner, I can see KHBS, but it is unwatchable. The Vizio has no signal strength meters.

I can watch KHBS just by having a piece of cable attached to the back of the TV, but with the antenna hooked up I get nothing. I have a feeling I am having multipath issues.

Thanks!
post #930 of 3402 Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What compass direction do you have the antenna aimed? Try the vicinity of 329°.

At only 3.5 mi from the xmitter, it's quite possible you're getting too much signal with the antenna/preamp combo you have. Or you may be getting multipath off a hill. You can try removing the preamp (both the amp & power supply - don't just unplug it) to see if you can still get all the stations. Another alternative is to add a fixed or adjustable signal attenuator to the coax (radio shack) to reduce the KHBS signal.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page