Columbus, GA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2004, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
This is the Official discussion thread for the Columbus, GA DMA.

The following networks are available in HD OTA:
ABC (9-1) 720p/DD2.0
CBS (3-1) 1080i DD5.1
NBC (38-1) 1080i/DD2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2004, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of the sites I was on indicated Fox (54-2) and UPN (66-1) also sent out HDTV.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:00 AM
gaz

Quote:

Originally posted by CPanther95
This is the Official discussion thread for the Columbus, GA DMA.

The following networks are available in HD OTA:

ABC (9-1) 720p/DD2.0
CBS (3-1) 1080i DD5.1
NBC (38-1) 1080i/DD2.0

Just a point for clarification. These ARE Columbus, GA. tv stations that are now sending out HD signals? Also, I assume that DD stands for Dolby Digital sound?

gaz
Old 02-01-2005, 06:11 AM

Curious if any can help me in here. I live in columbus. I have directv and trying to get locals with a antenna. I have a indoor antenna and when its connected to my little tv in the bedroom i pick up local, but when i move it to my 52 inch in the living room i only get abc and cbs. I have even left the antenna in the bedroom and ran a cord to the tv and still nothing, any thing im doing wrong?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:58 AM

Auburn/Opelika, AL

One HD station in Opelika, channel 66. To the West the Montgomery market 30 to 40 miles. To the East the Columbus,GA market 30 to 40 miles.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:11 PM

As was discussed in the FOX thread, since 2/5, WXTX (54-1) is also available in HD here in Columbus. (720p, DD5.1)

cmtar, are you talking about analog or digital signals?

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends"-REK
Old 02-20-2005, 04:14 PM

Mike do you know how much power 54 is putting out? Are they just running low power now for the Columbus area or are they a full power? So far in Auburn I can not get them, but I do get a digital signal from 3, 9, and 38
Old 02-21-2005, 03:12 PM

WXTX is still low power (all our stations are). The FCC site has them at 16kW.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently posted in the Albany, GA - HDTV discussion thread a list of some Columbus, GA stations final channel elections after the "digital transition" is over. Here's the list:

WRBL has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #15.
WTVM has elected to broadcast digitally from their current analog channel of #9.
WLTZ has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #35.
WXTX has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #49.

WSWS has yet to state what they will broadcast from, although it obviously won't be from their current analog channel of #66.

~Alan

DirecTV SUBSCRIBER since 1995!
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:44 PM

Stacks,

What HD channels do you receive in Auburn? Can you pick up any/all of the Columbus or Montgomery market? What type of antenna would I need to tune these in?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:44 PM

I live on the west side of Auburn. Just have a Winegard GS2000 mounted about 40 feet off the ground on a chimney. It will get 12 digital and all the Montgomery analogs and Columbus analogs. I thinks when the other Montgomery stations go to full power or come on line I should be able to get them also. I understand the stations in Montgomery at this time are not up or just on low power and even if you live just outside Montgomery one can not get them at this time.

I have a Winegard Pr-9032 with a pre-amp pointed at Columbus and it get 3, 9, 38, and 66 in digital with out a problem. It is mounted on a 20 ft pole. For an experiment I turned the PR-9032 toward Montgomery, but it did not do any better than the GS2000.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Can the Winegard GS2000 pick up any of the Digital Stations coming out of Columbus? I think the wife would let me get away with that one as opposed to the Pr-9032. If not I guess I will be waiting for Montgomery to boost their power up. I just hope they do it for football season next year.

Thanks

Will
Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM

No, not at this time, for a very short while I could get 3.1 but not now. I have the same problem, wife will not allow the antenna and pole I would like to put up to do the job right.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Stacks,

Last question. Do you know if Charter is thinking about adding any locals in High Def, or at least expanding their tier to include an INHD type channel? I can not seem to get a straight answer from any of their customer reps.

Thanks for all your help.

Will
Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 AM

Do not know, do not have cable.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM

Anyone seen the new sub-channel on WTVM-DT 9.2..... It's called the TUBE.... It looks to be a music channel... Caught it for the first time last night while channel surfing... I'm over in Lizella and don't usually pick up any of the low power Columbus stations... I was wondering if WTVM has increased there power or (and probably) the signal was bouncing off the clouds just right.... On the other hand, if it was bouncing off the clouds, I should have been getting at least some of the other Columbus channels, I would think.... But, I wasn't... Anyway, if you haven't seen it, check it out....

Charter Voomer
Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 PM

I live in Phenix City and have a couple of questions.

First, I get all of the Columbus Channels fine OTA, has anyone in Columbus or Phenix City had any success getting the UPN feed OTA from Opelika? If so, what kind of antenna are you using.

Second, I recently re-scanned my OTA channels on my TIVO, now my guide for WXTX 54-1 and 54-2 are mixed up. 54-1 is my regular FOX programming but it gets the guide for 54-2, which is a music video channel called "The Tube"
Because of this, I have to do manual recordings if I want Fox programs recorded, because TIVO will record the wrong channel. Is anyone else having this issue?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:27 PM
gaz

How many, if any, TV stations in the Columbus, GA area are broadcasting HDTV signals? Could someone provide my a list of these stations?

gaz
Old 08-21-2005, 07:46 AM
gaz

Is there no one in the entire Columbus, GA viewing area interested in HDTV? I thought I could at least get someone over there answer a simple question of who in that area is actually broadcasting in HDTV. Come on wake up over there!

gaz
Old 08-23-2005, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking about relocating to Columbus in the near future. What is the current OTA situation and also what cable providers are in the area. Does the cable provider have HD and a decent HD DVR?

I live in the DC area right now, plus I have D*TV and the 10-250 TiVo, so I've been pretty much spoiled as far as HD goes.

Dave B.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:04 PM

dmbatch.

In Columbus, ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX are all pumping out in HD. The closest UPN station is in Opelika, AL, but they are building a tower in Columbus right now, so I think it won't be long for them (they are not HD yet, hopefully soon). We do not have a local WB network and PBS is supposed to go digital in 2007 I think.

The local FOX station is multicasting The Tube Music Network and the local CBS station is Multicasting 24/7 local weather radar.

Columbus cable companies are Knology, Mediacom & Charter, I think they are all providing HD channels, not sure about DVR (I live in Phenix City and have DirecTV) I would check the websites for our local cable companies to see what they offer. One tip, In Phenix City, the only cable provider is Cable TV of East Alabama, they do not offer HD at all.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. If I can get all 4 major networks OTA then I'll probably stick with D*TV.

I looked at the cable provider websites and none have an HD DVR.

Dave B.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:26 PM

That about covers it. Although Charter does not currently offer an HD package. They keep saying 'soon' but they were telling me that over a year ago. I think knology's package is the largest right now. I think mediacom only has like 4 or 5 (two being premium. not sure about locals) HD channels but I could've been looking at an old lineup sheet. Knology has 12 including locals. We have pretty up to date info up at columbusdtv.org. It is missing mediacom's lineup though.

EDIT: I think knology has an HD PVR. not 100% but i think i've seen it mentioned in the mailers I get in my bill. (get my HD from dish)

Also should add, the local UPN's plan was to move their analog station to their new tower first and then move the digital later. Then the tower collapsed and they had to start over. They just started construction again recently. Not sure how far that's going to push back the move of the digital transmitter. Could be awhile. Tower construction is supposed to be finished late this year though I think.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Posts #18 & #19 merged into this thread.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check Knology's website again for info on the HD-DVR.

Dave B.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Slade View Post

I think mediacom only has like 4 or 5 (two being premium. not sure about locals) HD channels but I could've been looking at an old lineup sheet.

MediaCom is the cable provider in Albany, and here in Dawson (though they don't serve my house), but I know that they offer ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBO-HD, Starz-HD, Showtime-HD, The Movie Channel-HD, and (they recently added) WALB-DT (NBC).

Still no FOX-HD (WFXL-DT), CBS-HD (WRBL-DT, WCTV-DT), or ABC-HD (WTVM-DT, WSB-DT) or TNT-HD.

I do know that MediaCom offers ESPN2-HD in the Columbus market, just don't know what else.

~Alan

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
gaz

Is there anyone in Auburn/ Opelika, AL. area able to receive OTA digital signals from area Television stations? I am particularly interested in receiving digital or posibly HD signals from a CBS station. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

gaz
Old 09-21-2005, 11:10 PM

All of the Columbus stations broadcast in HD (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX)

If you are trying to pick up WRBL 3 (CBS) from Columbus, good luck. I live in Smiths Station and barely get a good enough signal to prevent dropouts. My signal strength varies between 74 - 84. They are by far the weakest channel I get out of all the Columbus stations. My other channels get signal strengths in the mid 90s. Occasionally WRBL is unwatchable, but most of the time it is ok. I don't have any problems with the other Columbus stations.

I have no idea about Montgomery stations, you may have better luck there, but either way I am sure you will need a big antenna on your roof.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:39 PM

Hello, anybody out there? Just thought I'd mention, I've been getting 54 and 9 in the we hours of the morning, approaching daylight, quite regularly, over here in Lizella. I guess, since no one has posted since September, everything is fine for DT tv in Columbus? Wish it was so in Macon. I've also been getting 6 from Thomasville regular and 40 from Tallahassee and 3 from ya'lls neck of the woods occassionally. Haven't seen 38 since I bought my HDTV 3 years ago, it was the 4th station I ever locked, and haven't seen it since. I've captured 66 on a few occassions, but not lately. I'm also getting 8 and 12 out of Montgomery sometimes. Maybe things will get better soon......

Al

Charter Voomer
Old 06-22-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voomvoom View Post

Hello, anybody out there? Just thought I'd mention, I've been getting 54 and 9 in the we hours of the morning, approaching daylight, quite regularly, over here in Lizella. I guess, since no one has posted since September, everything is fine for DT tv in Columbus? Wish it was so in Macon. I've also been getting 6 from Thomasville regular and 40 from Tallahassee and 3 from ya'lls neck of the woods occassionally. Haven't seen 38 since I bought my HDTV 3 years ago, it was the 4th station I ever locked, and haven't seen it since. I've captured 66 on a few occassions, but not lately. I'm also getting 8 and 12 out of Montgomery sometimes. Maybe things will get better soon......

Most of the Columbus, GA discussions are going on over at ColumbusDTV.org.

~Alan