Yakima, WA - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1604 Old 06-02-2006, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is info for the KCYU/FOX people to get KCYU out of the 20th Century and into the 21st Century:

FCC begins accepting LPTV, TV translator flash cut applications

Oct 21, 2005 8:00 AM
RF Update e-newsletter

The FCC's Media Bureau announced earlier in the month that LPTV and TV translator station licensees and permit holders can file an application for a minor facilities change to do an on-channel (flash cut) to digital service with their currently authorized analog facilities.

Those wishing to do so must file an electronic application using FCC Form 346. Class A TV stations, which already were granted authority to submit an on-channel digital conversion, must file electronically with FCC Form 301-CA.

At some point in the future, LPTV, TV translator and Class A TV licensees and permit holders will have the chance to submit applications for companion digital channels. Any station with a license, construction permit or pending application for on-channel digital conversion will not be eligible for a companion digital channel for the same station.

Applications for flash cutting must be filed through the bureau's Consolidated Database System online electronic forms system.

For more information, visit www.fcc.gov/mb/elecfile.html.

I am not even a KCYU/FOX employee and I could find this information fairly easily. Now the KCYU/FOX people don't have any lousy excuse for not trying to go digital anymore.

-YakHDTV06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1604 Old 06-02-2006, 11:51 PM

KVEW-DT is NOT going to be full power before or even on JULY 1. They just requested an extension from the FCC a few days ago for an engineering special temporary authority to continue to operate at less than the maximization/replication facilities for the next six months or so.

Who's next to try to get around the JULY 1, 2006 maximization/replication deadline? Sister Station KAPP-DT in YAKIMA will likely be next. Then they will probably be likely followed by CBS KIMA-DT YAKIMA and CBS KEPR-DT TRI-CITIES. Then FOX KFFX-DT PENDELTON, OR will probably follow suite after the local CBS stations.

Hopefully KVEW-DT is the exception rather than the rule, but I seriously doubt it.

-YakHDTV06
post #273 of 1604 Old 06-03-2006, 12:19 AM

Thanks FCC for setting the bar low on your JULY 1, 2006 deadline. Once again that's great news for most of the YAKIMA/TRI-CITIES stations but once again awful news to the DIGITAL TV viewers in our area.

-YakHDTV06
post #274 of 1604 Old 06-07-2006, 12:14 AM

FISHER is selling all of their small market radio stations in Eastern Washington and Montana. Too bad they aren't selling their poorly run TV stations KIMA CBS YAKIMA and KEPR CBS PASCO.

FISHER's President & CEO Colleen Brown said "By selling our small-market radio stations we are able to focus on increasing the synergies and operating performance of our remaining cluster of Northwest stations." Let us all hope so. But I have no reason to believe she or FISHER will improve the KIMA & KEPR situation. Here are at least a few reasons why:

1. They kept only their Seattle radio stations and since FISHER is based out of Seattle I am sure there will continue to be more money staying near their headquarters rather than be spent over here.

2. They are purchasing a Spanish language TV station in Portland, Oregon that does NOT serve even half of the Portland market. Ms. Brown, CEO of FISHER said "We are pursuing new opportunities, such as our entrance into Spanish-language television announced in late 2005." What about their EXISITING opportunities like HD KIMA and HD KEPR??

3. They did not sell KLEW CBS LEWISTON, IDAHO which they group it in our market but is really part of the SPOKANE market, and since FISHER doesn't own any of the SPOKANE stations it probably should have been sold.

4. During the recent visit by Mexican President Vicente Fox, they wasted a reporter from their Portland, OR ABC station KATU to ask questions at a press conference that Washington State Governor Gregiore held at the YAKIMA airport when they had a reporter from their YAKIMA KIMA CBS station there to ask questions. Again a sign of favortism for the west side of OREGON and WASHINGTON.

I guess we will know in a few weeks if they pull a KVEW-DT and postpone going full power. If I was a betting person, I say they probably will postpone going full power digitally. Fortunately, I am not much of a betting person.

-YakHDTV06
post #275 of 1604 Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 PM

what gives?? NBA finals not in HD....ive got people coming over for soccer sat morning at 6AM. It BETTER be in HD or im gonna be pissed!
post #276 of 1604 Old 06-08-2006, 06:42 PM

Hey guys whats up.. I'm in Yakima and stumbled across this board.
Whats up with Kapp ?! no HD for the nba finals!? its unreal. We really are getting screwed around here. Anyone have any word on KIMA going HD anytime soon?
post #277 of 1604 Old 06-08-2006, 06:45 PM

im in richland, interesting that kapp doesnt have thier hd "on" right now either. no one knows about kima or kepr, read the previous couple of pages an you will see kima and kepr are a real piece of work....
post #278 of 1604 Old 06-08-2006, 06:52 PM

I Just cant believe that tri-cities is gettin screwed too. I figured it was just Yakima. So right now with the NBA finals. Is it the local stations not "turning on the hd" or is it a ABC thing?
post #279 of 1604 Old 06-08-2006, 06:55 PM

pretty sure this is a local issue. might be on some kind of dumb timer and they forgot to change it for the finals? i dunno, but im going to be calling tomorrow and making sure the england game on saturday is going to be in hd.
post #280 of 1604 Old 06-09-2006, 12:17 AM

On The Tonight Show, which is in HD, they did have a segment with people at the game. Don't know if the game ever went HD here because I didn't flip back to KAPP-HD channel after the First or Second Quarter. KNDO-HD still seems to "forget" to turn on the HD during prime time every few days or weeks.

Above must be the longest streak of posts not authored by me in a long, long time.

Too bad we don't ever get anyone from the actual TV stations to respond.

-YakHDTV06
post #281 of 1604 Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 AM

The game originated in HD...Highlights on ESPN were in HD. ESPN and ABC are partners, both owned by Disney, so yes, the game was in HD. But not here. I sent them a nasty-gram. How can the game be in HD, they broadcast in HD, but the game wasn't in HD. They must really be going out of their way to fvck things up.
post #282 of 1604 Old 06-10-2006, 05:49 AM

some show on abc was in hd last night, not sure of the name, but it was right before 20/20 was on. i flipped through real quick like. but now, im getting no signal whatsoever. lets hope that changes atleast here in 10 minutes for the darn game.
post #283 of 1604 Old 06-10-2006, 06:15 AM

yup, not even a signal on 780--pretty bad. so no hd for the WC this morning.
post #284 of 1604 Old 06-11-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike41423 View Post

yup, not even a signal on 780--pretty bad. so no hd for the WC this morning.

KAPP and KVEW sure seem to be really dropping the ball literaly if they aren't even on the HD cable channel. The game was on in HD this morning over-the-air in Yakima but there was the usual picture breakup and muted sound every so often. Then they interrupted the game, which surprisingly did not have any commercials during the actual playing time, a few times about 15 or 30 seconds each time just to let people especially kids know when the Saturday morning kids shows would air. Really dumb. Could have been done through a voice over or a scrolling message at the bottom of the screen. But we are talking about KAPP who hasn't successfully had a clean HD Over the air broadcast since they started HD nearly 4.5 months ago and KVEW who just successfully conned the FCC into giving them another 6 months of being able to broadcast at a lower power over-the-air digitally.

Also want to mention that Toy Story 2 was not HD over-the-air until after the first commercial break. Ironic since that HD demo thing they had running when they first went HD had a segment from another DISNEY/PIXAR movie and the main reason Toy Story 2 was even on tonight was to promote the way over promoted new DISNEY/PIXAR Cars movie.

KAPP/KVEW had at least 9 hours of HD programming on Saturday and they are off air usually at least 3 hours each day. Doing the math 9+3=12 hours that KAPP/KVEW either had HD programming or was off the air and a maximum of 12 hours that they were on the air and not broadcasting an HD show. And they still fail to have the HD turned on tonight.

-YakHDTV06
post #285 of 1604 Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

Also want to mention that Toy Story 2 was not HD over-the-air until after the first commercial break. Ironic since that HD demo thing they had running when they first went HD had a segment from another DISNEY/PIXAR movie and the main reason Toy Story 2 was even on tonight was to promote the way over promoted new DISNEY/PIXAR Cars movie.
-YakHDTV06

toy story 2 was on in HD tonight on charter--guess we will play a waiting game for 8:30 AM for a mexico vs iran game.

KNDU PQ on the NHL stanley cup finals game 3 looked great today, props to NBC for outstanding PQ. Acutally looking foward to watching game 4 on NBC instead of CBCHD.
post #286 of 1604 Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 AM

so far so good, HD for WC this morning. No breaking up of the picture....yet.
post #287 of 1604 Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 AM

No breakups at all during the entire mexico vs iran WC match this morning.....now to only have espn2hd and foxhd.....doh.
post #288 of 1604 Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 AM

Does KEPR have an updated launch date for HDTV? I'm growing weary of their sub-par digital quality. They initially said early summer. What does that mean?
post #289 of 1604 Old 06-16-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81 View Post

Does KEPR have an updated launch date for HDTV? I'm growing weary of their sub-par digital quality. They initially said early summer. What does that mean?

We should see something soon (within a week from this post) from KIMA/KEPR indicating whether or not they are going to maximize or increase power on their digital stations or whether the FCC will grant them yet another extension like they did KVEW.

If they don't increase power and get another extension, I would expect the HD will be delayed yet again, maybe as late as Late January 2007, but no later since KIMA/KEPR have the SUPER BOWL next year. Personally, I would rather see the HD NOW and not right before the SUPER BOWL like KAPP did and screwed it up. Besides, KIMA & KEPR are already well over 2 years late on the HD compared to the same size CBS station in the Eugene Market also owned by FISHER COMMUNICATIONS who had HD at least a couple years ago.

One sign that seems to suggest that they are going to delay HD here again is the lack of any recent announcements from the stations or the cable company. Like I said before, we will probably have a much better idea what KIMA/KEPR is going to do by this time next week.

-YakHDTV06
post #290 of 1604 Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM

I'm able to get all the local digital/HD stations so I don't care if they are low power - I just want CBS in HD. The "digital" signal is obviously an analog signal that is broadcast digitally. It has a lot of "waves" and interference in the picture. HD won't suffer from the same stuff.
post #291 of 1604 Old 06-16-2006, 05:29 PM

After my earlier post, I e-mailed the station manager for KEPR. He replied back about HD availability saying this:

"I just checked with the powers that be and the target date is now around September 1st. They say they need to make some infrastructure changes to make sure it will be done right."

So I guess CBS won't be in HD this summer for KEPR viewers.
post #292 of 1604 Old 06-18-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81 View Post

After my earlier post, I e-mailed the station manager for KEPR. He replied back about HD availability saying this:

"I just checked with the powers that be and the target date is now around September 1st. They say they need to make some infrastructure changes to make sure it will be done right."

So I guess CBS won't be in HD this summer for KEPR viewers.

I think this guy could be telling the truth or could be lying about this new September date.

Reasons why it could be true: 1. Sept. is around the beginning of the new fall season. 2. They could be missing equipment and could be on a waiting list. 3. They may have only equipment for one station now to go HD. KIMA maybe would get HD equipment first because KEPR is considered a satellite station of KIMA by parent company FISHER COMMUNICATIONS.

Reasons why it may be a lie: 1. CBS at one point several months ago made an announcement that all of their stations would multicast starting Fall 2006. This means they probably have being working on their transmitters for some time if they are all going to multicast a second channel. 2. Assuming they are going to go full power by July 1 which we won't know for probably a few more days, it would make sense that they would go HD around or at the same time. 3. Most importantly because they have lied or mislead us all before about their HD plans.

Again we will probably know at least a little more by Thursday.

KAPP-HD & SD Digital ABC was off the air for several hours the other day and came back on just as bad or worse than before. 4.5 months later after this mess started and still not fixed.

-YakHDTV06
post #293 of 1604 Old 06-18-2006, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I think this guy could be telling the truth or could be lying about this new September date.

The station manager for KEPR is my neighbor. I'm surprised he even talks to me since I reported his station to the FCC .

Anyway, as he was walking down the street with his family I yelled over and asked him when they (KEPR) would be broadcasting in HD and told him that I'm still seeing "waves" in my picture. He said they just got their transmitter(?) and it would take about 60 days to get everything set up.

He said they should be broadcasting in HD this September in time for football season.
post #294 of 1604 Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielox View Post

Anyway, as he was walking down the street with his family I yelled over and asked him when they (KEPR) would be broadcasting in HD and told him that I'm still seeing "waves" in my picture.

I bet he really enjoyed that.
post #295 of 1604 Old 06-19-2006, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I bet he really enjoyed that.

Probably as much as I enjoyed his station's denial of my request to purchase my CBS-HD from outside of the area (via D*).
post #296 of 1604 Old 06-20-2006, 12:51 AM

Their STA's were supposed to end on the 19th of JUNE, but so far it looks like they are going to be extended by the FCC instead of KIMA/KEPR going Full Power by July 1, 2006. Something should be posted to confirm this within the next few days.

Yakima Herald Republic in Saturday's Religion section had an article on the Yakima TBN religious channel affiliate. No mention when if ever they are going digital. The YHR is becoming a newspaper that fixes things that aren't broke in the first place. They have made a lot of changes this year but surprisingly no changes to their outdated weekly TV book in Sunday's newspaper. I know they used to have ties with KIMA TV and maybe they still do. That could explain their very lousy coverage or maybe the lack of televison affiliate news here. I take it Tri City Herald is probably just as bad.

Medford, OR FOX station, owned by the same company as the lousy YAKIMA/TRI-CITIES/SPOKANE stations now has local news at 10PM through the NBC Medford, OR News Team which is owned by a different company. Like I said before, I don't know why they can't do this kind of thing up here. KNDO/KNDU is kind of out of the question because they have a digital news channel but local CBS and ABC could do 10PM news on FOX. They could even do a regional broadcast from their Spokane Flagship station which they tried several years before, but it was a very lousy attempt that could have been easily improved on if I remember correctly.

That's enough for now. Will post KIMA/KEPR info as soon as I get the info.

-YakHDTV06
post #297 of 1604 Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 AM

Anyone watch KCYU FOX 41 in YAKIMA from 10PM until around 10:16PM tonight?? If you did, you saw nothing but commercials instead of the regularly scheduled program, Everybody Loves Raymond. Who is the one who benefits by this poorly run station running 15 straight minutes of commercials tonight? Not the local viewers, that is for sure. The advertisers are probably the winner because I doubt KCYU would go to their advertisers and say something like "We accidently ran one of your ad spots and therefore you owe us money for it." Even FOX sort of benefited from this negligence. Some of the ads were for their shows. But as viewers, some who are paying for this lousy channel through cable or satellite, we do not benefit in any way. Maybe KCYU should be "forced" to pay the cable and satellite companies thus resulting in a lower cable bill for one billing. Then maybe this won't happen again.

I would complain to the FCC but they aren't much better off than this lousy FOX station here.

-YakHDTV06
post #298 of 1604 Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 AM

After I broke the news around JUNE the 2nd about KVEW getting another extension to get away with not being full power by JULY 1, 2006, the FCC released a press release on JUNE the 14th giving more detailed information about the so-called JULY 1, 2006 maximization and replication deadline.

I looked at this press release and like many FCC documents or government documents such as passed legislative bills you can't follow them half of time.

There really is no JULY 1, 2006 deadline after all depending on how you interpret their document. A station could have an STA (Special Temporary Authority) extended until after the JULY 1, 2006 date even before JULY 1, and the deadline date in these cases according to the FCC is automatically the later date, not the JULY 1 date. So since KIMA/KEPR had their STA's conveniently expire on JUNE the 19th, they could easily extend them another 6 months which would be around DECEMBER the 19th and obiviously the JULY 1 date has no meaning.

Satellite stations such as KEPR, KAPP, and KNDO may be exempt from the JULY 1, 2006 deadline as well if I interpreted the FCC's Public Notice correctly. I believe KVEW told the FCC they were the satellite station to get the exemption when really sister station KAPP is ACTUALLY the REAL satellite station.

I am just glad I am finally getting the FCC's attention it appears. Maybe now that they are starting to look like they have no authority they will start enforcing something instead of creating endless loopholes for TV stations like the ones in the YAKIMA/TRI-CITIES area to exploit.

-YakHDTV06
post #299 of 1604 Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 AM

I guess the FCC is a little behind updating their database. But I wouldn't get your hopes up. You got to remember KIMA/KEPR is easily several months behind KNDO/KNDU on broadcasting in HD and at least a few years behind KNDO/KNDU and a few months behind KAPP/KVEW on broadcasting multiple channels and surround sound on their digital channel. If it weren't for KAPP/KVEW messing up the digital channels when they went HD and to this day have not been able to fix them, KIMA/KEPR would be easily way worse than their main competition.

Also disgusted with KIMA tonight for putting Amber Alert audio over the audio during Gameshow Marathon. Should have been less intrusive such as KAPP did by putting a scroll on the top of the screen.

-YakHDTV06
post #300 of 1604 Old 06-24-2006, 11:28 PM

No, the title is not a misprint. Apparently KAPP-HD must have figured out what was wrong with their digital transmitter since they started broadcasting in HD at the beginning of February. There was only like a few brief bits of garbage from the start of "A Bug's Life" until the end of "The Evidence" 3 hours later. It must have been fixed sometime after GMA yesterday morning because GMA had some bad spots in it yesterday morning. So finally maybe this is the end of it nearly 5 months later.

Now maybe we can focus on the other local stations who are still Public Enemy No. Ones out there like KCYU-LP Yakima FOX and KFFX Tri-Cities (or should we call it Pendleton, OR?) FOX, and of course KIMA & KEPR CBS stations for Yakima/Tri-Cities area.

-YakHDTV06
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page