Yakima, WA - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1604 Old 03-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a short time this afternoon, I was also picking up KVEW at 44.3 and 44.4. Wonder if they are getting ready to add additional SD channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1604 Old 03-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEP1030 View Post

For a short time this afternoon, I was also picking up KVEW at 44.3 and 44.4. Wonder if they are getting ready to add additional SD channels.

Several months ago I would have probably said there were no way they would be adding two new channels. But now I would think they might since they seem to be more agressively pursuing the local news market with that addition of a weekday 2 hour local news program from 5-7AM last year. News and Weather subchannels are pretty popular these days it seems. My guess is that the 2 new SD channels will be Weather and News channels if they do add 2 new SD channels.

I would be against adding any new channels at this time unless it were an ABC News National News channel, because the locals don't cover enough of the National news or World news with the exception of Iraq and Afganistan. Plus adding channels will likely give us a less than perfect picture on KAPP and KVEW-HD.

-YakHDTV06
post #723 of 1604 Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the post. It prompted me to check and yesterday I was getting a strong signal from KVEW, but there was no picture or sound. and my channel rescan indicated no digital data at all on ch 44.

However this morning they are back with my Guide listing no change with them still on subchannels 42.1 and 42.2 as usual. I watched the early Sunday AM ABC news program (Good Morning America I think) that was in very nice HDTV.

Don
A viewpoint outside the top 100 HDTV
markets
post #724 of 1604 Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 AM

KEPR-HD was obviously working on their picture/sound problem yesterday evening. I happened to turn them on (Ch 19-1) a little before 5PM and saw a series of switching and at times the pixelation was present and then it would go away for a time, then come back. Then they shut the progam feed down and just ran HD color bars for several hours. I set my DVR to record and later they got it back on for the 11:00 PM news with the problem apparently fixed again as the pixelation/ sound drops were gone..

I checked again this morning and the SD picture with side bars is coming through now with no pixelation or sound drops during the 15 minutes or so I watched.

As I have posted before there were a lot of possible causes for this problem in the chain of digital equipment, but it seems they diagnosed the cause and fixed it.

I think they now know what the problem is and hope the fix will stay fixed this time. When it is working their picture is coming in great.

Don
markets
post #725 of 1604 Old 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Howdy all. I'm finally upgrading to HD . Moving into a new house by the TRAC on March 16 and just ordered a Mitsubishi WD-65831 for the family room and a Samsung LN-S4096D for the bedroom. I haven't had cable for about a year and a half (usually go to a friends or family members house to watch programming) and was wondering from people who live in the Tri-Cities which of the 3 (Charter, DirecTV, or Dish Network) they would recommend for HD programming. How good and bad are the HD and DVR receivers for each? Money isn't an issue and I do plan on getting an OTA antenna for local HD. I know DirecTV has its massive hype going about HD, but I'm all about the here and now. I refuse to pay for the "future", unless I can get it at a discount.

EDIT: By the way anyone know when KCWK-9 is going to get their act together. I don't even bother watching the channel since it went local and just download all the shows I like (Smallville and Supernatural) off the web in HD.

GOD... please send us Comcast.
post #726 of 1604 Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 AM

Boy were they having some fun this weekend!

Channel 19-1 was unwatchable for most (if not all) of the weekend. Last night was still a lot of picture pixelization and dropouts, and finally, looked as if they went back to analog, but still having picture problems. It didn't even look as good as it normally does in digital SD. Without a Trace last night picture was horrible, also with a lot of pixelization, ended up watching the satellite feed from E* (analog). Did not watch CBS Saturday, and last night, like I say was unwatchable. Wednesday night was totally blank screen with no audio, either. Had good signal strength the whole time (79-82-good, for me).

Jim
post #727 of 1604 Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 AM

I have a E* VIP622 HD-DVR, and I have noticed that the program guide shows only "Digital Programming" 24-7 for channel 42-1. Does anyone else have this? If I want to know what's on, I have to look at 35-00. I can't schedule a recording for this channel based on program info, only by time.

Jim
post #728 of 1604 Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstick View Post

Boy were they having some fun this weekend!

Channel 19-1 was unwatchable for most (if not all) of the weekend. Last night was still a lot of picture pixelization and dropouts, and finally, looked as if they went back to analog, but still having picture problems. It didn't even look as good as it normally does in digital SD. Without a Trace last night picture was horrible, also with a lot of pixelization, ended up watching the satellite feed from E* (analog). Did not watch CBS Saturday, and last night, like I say was unwatchable. Wednesday night was totally blank screen with no audio, either. Had good signal strength the whole time (79-82-good, for me).

I agree. Unwatchable yet again, especially the one HD program I attempted. Yes their RF signal from the transmitter is strong. The problem clearly is in the digital data stream of actual TV programming being modulated into their broadcast is losing essential picture/sound data at random intervals. It looked like they tried hard this weekend to fix it, but the problems are still there this morning.

I just watched KEPR- 19-1 for a while this morning and they were broadcasting the CBS "Early Show" in SD with sidebars, along with local news and ads inserted. Most of the time the picture was perfect, then suddenly there would be sound dropouts, pixel lines and breakups- just like before. Words of dialog were lost, and the picture marred and the program made a bad impresson.

My hope that they had a permanent fix is now destroyed, since whenever the pixelation has been fixed it quickly reverts back to "unwatchable". I am now quite disappointed .

I am sure they are trying, but are not succeeding. Perhaps they have an "unfixable" component that must be replaced. Their Seattle engineer that set up their HD system does monitor this forum so a brief explanation here would help us all to understand what is happening! I can be patient when there is hope help is on the way. I am aware this HD upgrade was very expensive. It is a shame that this issue is ruining the viewer's experience. It is a fact of digital "anything" that it is either perfect or awful. For example, just a bad fingerprint on a DVD movie can cause loss of enough data to freeze the picture on playback.

However, I will just not watch KEPR-HD on any regular basis until they get this fixed. I have lots of other good HD on DirecTV and other local channels to watch.

Don
markets
post #729 of 1604 Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan77 View Post

Howdy all. I'm finally upgrading to HD . Moving into a new house by the TRAC on March 16 and just ordered a Mitsubishi WD-65831 for the family room and a Samsung LN-S4096D for the bedroom. I haven't had cable for about a year and a half (usually go to a friends or family members house to watch programming) and was wondering from people who live in the Tri-Cities which of the 3 (Charter, DirecTV, or Dish Network) they would recommend for HD programming. How good and bad are the HD and DVR receivers for each? Money isn't an issue and I do plan on getting an OTA antenna for local HD. I know DirecTV has its massive hype going about HD, but I'm all about the here and now. I refuse to pay for the "future", unless I can get it at a discount.

EDIT: By the way anyone know when KCWK-9 is going to get their act together. I don't even bother watching the channel since it went local and just download all the shows I like (Smallville and Supernatural) off the web in HD.

GOD... please send us Comcast.

Amen to your Comcast quote!. Comcast has an outstanding HDTV cable lineup , however, I believe they only service the major cities, not little fish like us. Charter has lagged behind both D* and E* in HD service and seems likely to continue to do so IMHO.

We are in the "third world" of being in a TV market size below the magic 100 level with Yakima-TriCities is DMA size no 125 ( note my signature line since I am always complaining about this discrimination ) and as such we never get much attention. In general the higher your TV DMA market is towards the top of the Nielsen list, the better service and HD channels you get, since the industry naturally goes for the biggest audience for a buck at first- others can wait. Even a lot of FCC rules and Congressional laws are written differently for "top 30", "top 100", "below 100" DMA markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_media_market

I have DirecTV and just helped a friend hook up a new Sony HDTV with DirecTV. While we were on the line with DirecTV customer service ( which I find very good service, BTW) their rep was surprised to hear that we had to get HDTV locals off an OTA antenna as she said " 85% of our DirecTV customers now get their HDTV locals stations on DirecTV". . Answer: "Well, NOT in THIS MARKET lady!" That won't happen until DirecTV completes the two satellite launches planned this year, but the SeaLaunch accident may delay DirecTV-11 that is needed for our HDTV locals, but not the national channel expansion . The first to launch is DirecTV 10 which will hopefully will go up about JUNE and the promise of 100 HD channels "this year" will be fulfilled including 15 channels they have announced. The SeaLaunch accident was only the second in 24-25 launches,. DirecTV-10 is being launched on a different land based system from the same Russian site that also services the Space Station, so they have a good record. So I am waiting for what I think will be an outstanding HDTV package by year's end. Dish did not escape this SeaLaunch accident either, since one of their HD expansion satellites is also in the same "delay" status since it was a SeaLaunch time slot too.

However you may want to look into Dish if you "want it now".

Right now, I think Dish has the lead in number of HD regular HD channels. However if you are into sports, DirecTV clearly has the lead in HD channels broadcasting NFL and MLB and other sports in their extra cost sports packages like Sunday Ticket and the Baseball package with over 150 HD games a year and even more planned like adding NASCAR races in HDTV. They have exclusive rights to some of these sports packages.

So I conclude there are pros and cons both satellite systems, there are issues with receivers in both systems, and you need to look at the specific channels on Dish and the DirecTV HD extra cost sports package HD lineups ( you said cost is not an issue) before you decide.

And since Charter Cable has some financial problems nationally, maybe they will get bought out. BTW, DirecTV has been sold to Liberty Media to take effect soon and the new owner is totally committed to HDTV. Liberty media is already big (STARZ/Encore, Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet and many others) There is even talk of a Dish-DirecTV merger, and even the decision by DirectV to drop Tivo could change.

The only thing that is certain is rapid change!!!

You( and others here) may find this news item of interest before you decide:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6419266.html

Don
markets
post #730 of 1604 Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM

KIMA went from SD back to HD signal this afternoon. Showing SD shows with black bars again for now. Don't know if tonight's HD shows will be HD yet. Picture seems to be OK except for a like a second or two of breakup once in a great while. Audio appears to be surround now on at least some syndicated shows like Judge Judy and Simpsons, but I don't believe local and national commercials shown during these shows are though.

So it appears things are starting to look better on KIMA-HD again. I sure hope this isn't just another temporary fix.

-YakHDTV06
post #731 of 1604 Old 03-05-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I have a E* VIP622 HD-DVR, and I have noticed that the program guide shows only "Digital Programming" 24-7 for channel 42-1. Does anyone else have this? If I want to know what's on, I have to look at 35-00. I can't schedule a recording for this channel based on program info, only by time.

Yes, I get the exact same thing.

So if I want to record a show in HD I have to set up a timed recording. Actually, what I do is schedule a program on 35-00 and set it to "New Episodes" and then schedule a timed recording of the same time on 42-1. That way, when I go back to watch it, if the program recorded on 35-00 I know it is new and just watch the HD version, if there is no SD version I just delete the HD version.

Kind of a pain but I only record and watch one show on KVEW so it works for me. If you watch multiple items this may not work so well.

Good Luck
post #732 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 AM

I just checked KEPR ch 19-1 this morning for a while on "The Early Show" and the pixleation/sound drops are gone. Good SD picture with side bars.

I also recorded CSI-Miami last night and just reviewed it for quality. The switch from SD to HD was right on time, the HD quality was perfect again with no pixelation. There were several inserts of local SD ads that also went on with no problems.

Looks like they now have the picture/sound problem fixed again and I am hoping it stays fixed.

Edit Note Added 3/6 1030PM.

Sigh! Watched KEPR-HD ch 19-1 tonight "NCIS" and "The Unit" and there were a number of pixel breakups/ sound dropouts again. Not bad enough to be classified as "unwatchable" but not the HDTV I want to see.

Don
markets
post #733 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:

This isn't much help, but on D* I get complete program listings on KVEW 42-1 and 42-2 and they can be recorded on my HR10-250 tivo either by clicking on the Guide listing, or going to the Tivo 2 week in advance KVEW-DT listings, or by searching for a specific ABC HD show by name or content which finds the KVEW-42-1 programs., which can be set from the search function. Maybe this is just Tivo and I will lose it too when I must upgrade to the new D* MPEG-4 DVR.

Thus this is either a problem with E* in general or your specific receiver. Hope other E* users have some help.

Don
markets
post #734 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the info, Don. I watched KEPR last night from 9:00-11:00 and only saw a few minor picture problems. A little late on the switch from SD to HD at 9:00. Also, it seems that the SD PQ is not what it used to be. Maybe it's just me. Not so much complaining, just reporting. I know it's nice to be able to look here and see if anyone is having the same issues.

Jim
post #735 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebolt View Post

Yes, I get the exact same thing.

So if I want to record a show in HD I have to set up a timed recording. Actually, what I do is schedule a program on 35-00 and set it to "New Episodes" and then schedule a timed recording of the same time on 42-1. That way, when I go back to watch it, if the program recorded on 35-00 I know it is new and just watch the HD version, if there is no SD version I just delete the HD version.

Kind of a pain but I only record and watch one show on KVEW so it works for me. If you watch multiple items this may not work so well.

Good Luck

Good idea, Thanks!

Jim
post #736 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM

Anyone also having problems receiving KFFX DT lately? Until a couple of days ago, my signal strength was between 85 to 90. Now it ranges from 0 to 70. PQ is similar to what KEPR recently experienced.
post #737 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Anyone also having problems receiving KFFX DT lately? Until a couple of days ago, my signal strength was between 85 to 90. Now it ranges from 0 to 70. PQ is similar to what KEPR recently experienced.

Yes, last evening when flipping digital channels, I noticed KFFX-DT 11-1 was totally cutting in and out with unwatchable picture, and total sound drops, and freezing. I checked my channel 8 signal strength for KFFX-DT and it was bouncing like a yo-yo from 90 to 0 and back to 90 rapidly and losing sync lock on every dip.

I just checked it again this afternoon (3:15PM) and it now appears fixed. I get a steady 88-90 on the meter and stable picture and sound now.

Don
markets
post #738 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM

Didn't watch any of the shows before the Miami CSI episode, but the CSI episode appeared to me to be OK both picture wise and switching between SD/HD during local commercials last night. Hope it lasts this time.

I did notice that KNDO-HD was a few seconds late switching Heroes from SD to HD at the beginning of the show though. But at least it was only a few seconds unlike some shows on KNDO-HD a long time ago where the switchover would be a long time during the show if at all.

I also noticed lately that KAPP-HD doesn't switch over to HD during certain parts of Good Morning America. Don't know if this is a time zone thing or just someone asleep at the switch. KAPP/KVEW news anchor Kevin Uretkzy must be getting a lot of overtime at KAPP/KVEW because he is on at like 5AM in the morning for morning news and then again at 6:30PM at night for the 6:30PM news broadcast. Or else more evidence that most of our local news is taped and not live now.

-YakHDTV06
post #739 of 1604 Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 PM

For me and Dish, I don't get guide data for 42 either. I set up a timer for say Grey's Anatomy and just manual timed it weekly. I only worry about 42-1 if the show is in HD. If not, I'll use the Dish SD channel for KVEW.

Shoot on the KFFX-DT issue. I have been trying to re-dial in that channel since I moved my new antenna to a more central spot in the attic. It was probably THEIR issue! Many trips up the ladder for nothing! Grrrrr
post #740 of 1604 Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 AM

my old man has the same problem, just shows Digital Service on the guide. Of course it shows up fine on the TV's guide if your watching from there, but whats the point of that? I've told him to call E* but to no avail. I don't think he records that much stuff OTA.
post #741 of 1604 Old 03-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Watched The Unit at 9PM and the whole show was in HD. Did not watch NCIS before The Unit and when ever I would switch the TV to KIMA-HD between 8PM and 9PM during NCIS it was in SD not HD. Don't know why NCIS was in SD last night.

-YakHDTV06
post #742 of 1604 Old 03-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Just thought I would mention that FOX Yakima KCYU-LP's digital companion channel should be on the air in less than one and a half months!!!

What's the catch you are probably wondering? I based this timetable on another low powered FOX station that took less than 3 months to get on the air with a digital companion channel. And the kicker is that this is a much smaller market than ours!!

So even though it should be less than one and a half months until KCYU-LD goes on the air on Channel 28, it will probably be much longer as they still list on their KCYU FAQ file that there are still waiting to be approved for a digital companion channel even though that happened nearly 2 months ago.
post #743 of 1604 Old 03-08-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the response!

Does anyone know, is this an E* problem, or is the local channel not sending the info to Dish?

Is there anything we can do to make it change?

Would you start with KVEW or Dish?

I watch KEPR-HD every night of the week for at least an hour. I have not seen any programs (in HD) on this channel for over three weeks that have not had some sort of minor or major picture problems. The problems range from just a small line of pixels in the top third of the picture, to the whole bottom half of the picture pixelating and audio skip. Of course there was the three day glitch last week, where we had no picture at all for a whole day. The frequency of pixelization ranges anywhere from 5-6 times per half hour to every 25-30 seconds for an entire hour (like last night during Jericho). I tend to like to watch via my DVR since that way I can back up or pause if I miss something, and like I say, the DVR amplifies any pixelization to about five times what it would be OTA to TV. I am not experiencing these problems with any other channel in our area, but I also know that all the other local HD's have a signal strength of 97-98, while KEPR is in the 79-81 range.

Does this sound like what others are seeing, or is it just me?

Jim
post #744 of 1604 Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 AM

All 3 shows last night in Prime Time (Jericho, Criminal Minds repeat, NY CSI repeat) were shown completely in HD. There were a few spots where the picture or audio was a little messed up but I can't say for sure if it was due to poor reception conditions or on KIMA's end.

As for KIMA and KEPR having subchannels to show other NCAA games later this month, that kind of looks unlikely for now. CBS just announced that they are doubling their bandwidth for games they are planning to offer online. So we probably don't have to worry about CBS HD picture quality for now.

-YakHDTV06
post #745 of 1604 Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the response!

Does anyone know, is this an E* problem, or is the local channel not sending the info to Dish?

Is there anything we can do to make it change?

Would you start with KVEW or Dish?

I watch KEPR-HD every night of the week for at least an hour. I have not seen any programs (in HD) on this channel for over three weeks that have not had some sort of minor or major picture problems. The problems range from just a small line of pixels in the top third of the picture, to the whole bottom half of the picture pixelating and audio skip. Of course there was the three day glitch last week, where we had no picture at all for a whole day. The frequency of pixelization ranges anywhere from 5-6 times per half hour to every 25-30 seconds for an entire hour (like last night during Jericho). I tend to like to watch via my DVR since that way I can back up or pause if I miss something, and like I say, the DVR amplifies any pixelization to about five times what it would be OTA to TV. I am not experiencing these problems with any other channel in our area, but I also know that all the other local HD's have a signal strength of 97-98, while KEPR is in the 79-81 range.

Does this sound like what others are seeing, or is it just me?

RE: KVEW. Since DirecTV/Tivo is suppling me with complete KVEW-DT listings for both subchannels 42-1 and 42-1 for two weeks in advance, this would indicate to me that this is Dish not providing the data, since KVEW obviously is supplying it to DirecTV. The 42-1 channel is SD/HD with sidebars and is the ABC/local feed. The 42-2 channel is SD only with different programs and appears to be a number of reruns and "paid programming" slots. Most of them are older reruns, however I noted that today's listing shows the same Oprah episode shown on 42-1 as a rerun a couple of hours later on 42-2. You should be able to tune in 42-2 yourself to see the differences. I have not watched 42-2 enough to know much about it. This second channel gives KVEW expanded ad time slots ( if they get enough viewers to make it pay!).

Your description of KEPR-HD picture/sound dropouts is pretty much my impression also, however I get a very strong signal at a steady 90- 92, the highest of all our local stations, however this may be perhaps because I am in Kennewick and can actually see the KEPR tower from my roof. Note that KEPR's tower is west of the other UHF stations here. It might be an informative test to turn your antenna 20 degrees west ( try about 20 degrees) just to see if the signal strength increases and it affects the pixilation. ( Swing back and forth for the optimum on all channels) It may not improve anything, but sometimes this pixelation is caused or made worse by multipath reception problems in the antenna ( picking up reflections from something). Signal meters vary with each receiver, but on mine when I get down towards 70 it starts to get more flakey with more dropouts. Each antenna has its own unique "personality" with none receiving all channels equally well. I posted before where my antenna alignment error totally screwed KNDU, while not affecting the other channels. However your 79-81 ought to be enough signal to lock in a signal if KEPR were sending one, unless the lower reading is caused by a higher error correction rate problem in the receiver. These meters are more complicated than just RF signal strength, as data errors cause them to drop in level too, and channel specific antenna reflections are a major cause of problems with pixilation. My antenna points right over the Kennewick airport and I am suspicious ( without any proof) of the occasional metal airplane takeoff causing delayed TV reflections causing the infrequent, occasional pixilation problems I see on all our OTA channels. I once read a report of one city viewer that discovered that as a high rise appartment went up near his house, he got a better signal aiming the antenna at this big flat wall than at the station's antenna! Attic antennas always have the potential for reflections from metal ducts, wires, or even roof truss brackets, not that that this is your issue, just such stuff happens.

Edit added:
All that said about antenna reflections, I still think this is primarily a KEPR-HD issue with their signal. For example as a test of this , I just reviewed my DVR recording of Jericho last night and just after 28 minutes near the end of the scene with the 4 guys robbing the overturned white truck, I had two sound/total pixel dropouts just before the girl comes out of the bush. If you or others have a DVR recording and saw this exact same timing of the breakups in this scene it PROVES this is a KEPR-HD issue in transmission.

Don
markets
post #746 of 1604 Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks again, Don. You may be right about the antenna issue, as I do have mine in the attic, and there is a duct close by. I will try to reposition it for a better signal on 19-1, and see if that makes a difference. That said, last night, I watched 19-1 all the way through Doctor Phil, Judge Judy, News, Survivor, CSI, and Shark. I got out my stopwatch and I timed the intervals between picture breakups, and found that it happened every 18-21 seconds the entire 8 hours I watched. It is very evident while watching with the DVR, while only noticable about one out of every ten times without the DVR. I also watched without DVR a while until I noticed a picture breakup, and then went to the DVR and rewound to the spot where I noticed the breakup, and it was at the exact same spot during the show, only much more noticable on the DVR.

I searched my house for anything that sends out an RF signal and could not stop it, though it might be my neighbor's, but it seems unlikly this is it due to it only being evident on one channel.

It only happens on 19-1, not on ANY other channel.

I have seen both 42-1 and 42-2. Both are in my program guide, and both show only "digital service" 24-7. 31-1 & 31-2 also show "digital service" only.

Jim
post #747 of 1604 Old 03-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks again, Don. You may be right about the antenna issue, as I do have mine in the attic, and there is a duct close by. I will try to reposition it for a better signal on 19-1, and see if that makes a difference. That said, last night, I watched 19-1 all the way through Doctor Phil, Judge Judy, News, Survivor, CSI, and Shark. I got out my stopwatch and I timed the intervals between picture breakups, and found that it happened every 18-21 seconds the entire 8 hours I watched. It is very evident while watching with the DVR, while only noticable about one out of every ten times without the DVR. I also watched without DVR a while until I noticed a picture breakup, and then went to the DVR and rewound to the spot where I noticed the breakup, and it was at the exact same spot during the show, only much more noticable on the DVR.

I searched my house for anything that sends out an RF signal and could not stop it, though it might be my neighbor's, but it seems unlikly this is it due to it only being evident on one channel.

It only happens on 19-1, not on ANY other channel.

Glad to see you can time these sound/pix breakups. I recorded CSI last night and the DVR shows just the same problems I saw visually when it was live. My sound/pix problems are much farther apart than 18-21 seconds you see, which suggests you may have a combination of problems.

I too am not sure the sound/pix problems are due only to KEPR-HD, so lets compare notes. I went back through the DVR recording of CSI and timed the problems with a stopwatch, hitting the pause on both the stopwatch and remote( one in each hand) to log each event. To get a common time zero I started the stopwatch a little after CSI started exactly at the time the blue HD logo in the left bottom corner saying "presented in HD 5.1" disapppeared. This is the start of the stopwatch and the times below are min: sec to each event ( I had a short reaction time to hit the pause on both watch and remote, so there may be a slight difference of a second or so in my timing vs. yours. The event varied from a fraction of second duration to a couple seconds breakup at about these times on the stopwatch ( with the end of the HD 5.1 blue logo as time zero):

00:41 sound drop/picture breakup in HD program
02:01 sound drop/picture breakup in HD program
02:07 single line of pixels out flash (minor) in HD program
02:25 single line of pixels out flash (minor) in HD program just before titles
05:38 sound drop/picture breakup in SD commercials just prior to Numb3ers promo
07:38 sound drop/picture breakup in HD
09:19 white line flashes on screen
10:52 sound drop/picture breakup
11:26 multiple white lines in lower half screen flash
17:18 sound drop/picture breakup
17:37 sound drop/picture breakup during SD clothing commercial
17:50 sound drop/picture breakup during SD commercial

Stopped logging, but this same pattern continued for the rest of CSI.

I would be very interested if these same events are on your DVR too. Other than these, any others were too minor for me to see.

Digital receivers have an error correction system to prevent these type of problems so some receivers may do better than others. Also with regard to your attic and RF sources, it is the reflection of the KEPR-HD signal off some some metal of the exact same KEPR-HD digital data, displaced a fraction in time (like an echo) that confuses the receiver into which data stream (primary or reflection) to lock on to, causing a dropout. It may be that KEPR's microwave link is having the same type of problem which they then broadcast to all of us or a component introducing errors. If so we should all see the dropout at the same time. If it our own antenna, each of us could get problems at different times.

If you move your antenna, it has been reported that if it is multipath problems, even moving even a few inches or a few feet produces a change in performance and signal strength.

I will be interested in what timeing your CSI recording shows. I don't have my outdoor antenna pointed exactly towards KEPR since I need to point more East to pick up KFFX-DT. Thus I am not claiming that mine is perfect reception for others to compare to-I could have problems too. However since there have been a number of days in the past with perfect KEPR-HD reception, and other CSI episodes that were received perfectly with my antenna I don't think it is my antenna causing what I saw last night.

Don
markets
post #748 of 1604 Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 AM

I was able to get KFFX this morning after a LOT of fine tuning. BUT, it was only at 38% (via my panny plasma tuner). I just got home and see its bad once again.

I called Fox in Spokane to speak to an engineer to confirm that the direction I point has to be almost exact and to fing what other thing(s) could I do?

He did suggest putting the antenna on the roof, something I loathe to do. I'd have to pay someone to do that. He said an amplifier might help. I hate to spend any more money on something that won't help.

I did point him to this message board. He did say:

"they expect to be HD the end of May, the equipment is ordered, and they will be HD from Spout Springs AND JUMP OFF JOE !!!" He suggested they are trying to get with the program to provide the TC with a better signal.

You others getting KFFX, are you experiencing the same thing, pin point accuracy in setting the antenna direction?
post #749 of 1604 Old 03-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Sounds like what you are seeing is what I see without the DVR, but what I see with it is a lot worse, and more often. It appears that my DVR is more sensitive to these problems than yours. It may also be the antenna issue. May not get that done tonight, but hopefully tomorrow.

Sorry, I did not record any of the shows last night, but I will see if the problem is still there tonight, I will record some and then maybe we can compare notes.

I wish I had recorded CSI so we could see for sure if the problems occured at the same time. I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help resolve these issues.

Thanks, again!

Jim
post #750 of 1604 Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizeesheri View Post

I was able to get KFFX this morning after a LOT of fine tuning. BUT, it was only at 38% (via my panny plasma tuner). I just got home and see its bad once again.

I called Fox in Spokane to speak to an engineer to confirm that the direction I point has to be almost exact and to fing what other thing(s) could I do?

He did suggest putting the antenna on the roof, something I loathe to do. I'd have to pay someone to do that. He said an amplifier might help. I hate to spend any more money on something that won't help.

I did point him to this message board. He did say:

"they expect to be HD the end of May, the equipment is ordered, and they will be HD from Spout Springs AND JUMP OFF JOE !!!" He suggested they are trying to get with the program to provide the TC with a better signal.

You others getting KFFX, are you experiencing the same thing, pin point accuracy in setting the antenna direction?

Thanks very much for researching the KFFX-HD info and posting it!

Perhaps you have said this, but what antenna are you using? (each antenna design varies in directionality and gain)

Pin point accuracy is NOT too important if the antenna has a good design for the High VHF channel 8 band. I am using a Channel Master UHF-VHF combo model 3677 "Crossfire series" mounted on a 5 ft mast on top of my flat patio cover for a total of 15 feet in the air. It also has the CM 7777 preamp connected. A picture of the CM 3677 antenna is at this link. The main advantage of the "Crossfire"s is heavier aluminum to withstand our winds.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/3677.htm

I get a signal now of 88-90 on my meter on channel 8 KFFX-DT. It works good enough to get a solid lock on KFFX-DT from Spout Springs at anything on the meter from 75 or higher, and any direction within plus/minus 20-30 degrees of the exact direction- definitely NOT pin point accuracy. I have it adjusted about 30 degrees south of the "pinpoint" exact direction to get better local UHF reception (especially KEPR) and it still works fine on KFFX-DT.

The front part with the V reflector is the UHF part and does a very poor job on KFFX-DT. (I previously had larger UHF only corner reflector, just like the front part of the 3677) and got only a meter reading of 10 to 15 on KFFXDT). It is those long rods on the back that pick up KFFX-DT that connect together in the middle where the balun and RG6 cable attach . Other similar brands are available as long as they are designed to tune in the CH 7-13 band. I am quite skeptical of antennas that claim to have VHF capability, but do not publish any specific gain data for each channel, or at least the three TV bands (low VHF, Hi VHF, UHF). Channels Master gives specs on the 3677 as +8 dbi over a single dipole on channel 8. Placing an antenna in an attic, cuts the gain of any antenna about in half, so just mounting the antenna on a pole outside 10 ft or higher , would probably beat an attic install.

Even if KFFX-DT broadcasts from Jump off Joe, a high VHF band antenna would be needed ( a smaller one would work that close in) since they must broadcast on VHF channel 8 which is their FCC assigned digital channel, but they plan move digital TV to channel 11 in 2009 after they shutdown analog channel 11. The same antenna works on both ch 8 and 11 as both are high VHF channels.

Don
markets
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page