Yakima, WA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1604 Old 01-31-2006, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else watch Mother-Son Fear Factor after State/Union tonight? The volume of the show seemed pretty low compared to other channels when I was flipping the channel. I know last week's Surface they had audio problems. It was like you could only hear the background noise and music but not the people's voices. They appeared to have the same problem last Sunday during L&O: CI and Crossing Jordan I believe.

KAPP ABC HD is still not up yet but it is still Tuesday night.

-YakHDTV06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 AM

An email I received..

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 9:32 PM
To: xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: KAPP-TV Questions/Comments from Viewer: xxxxxxxx

Hello, we will have HD up in time for the Superbowl. We were using the
East Coast feed as a test signal the other night and may do so
occasionally as we set up. It will not be a regular thing. James
post #93 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 AM

I've got one of the Radio Shack Accurian OTA HDTV tuners that I picked up a few months ago. It seems to work well and picks up both PBS(HD and SD) channels, ABC and NBC in HD and their SD sub-channels. Unfortunately, I can't pickup the local CBS 19.1 station out here in Pasco near Road 68. Has anyone been able to get this channel in Pasco?

I've tried a few cheap indoor antennas including a powered one and they don't seem to pick up reception any better than using a paperclip. I want to order a Channel Master 4228 but I'd like to make sure I can pick up KEPR(CBS 19.1) before I buy the antenna.

BTW, the PBS HD channel alone is worth purchasing an HTDV receiver.
post #94 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 12:23 AM

New message just popped up on my charter box..

Charter teams up with your local ABC network to bring you Superbowl XL in HD on
Sunday February 5, 2006. Current High Definition Customers can see the game on
Channel 780. Call 1-888-GET-CHARTER

GO HAWKS!
post #95 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

Anyone else watch Mother-Son Fear Factor after State/Union tonight? The volume of the show seemed pretty low compared to other channels when I was flipping the channel. I know last week's Surface they had audio problems. It was like you could only hear the background noise and music but not the people's voices. They appeared to have the same problem last Sunday during L&O: CI and Crossing Jordan I believe.

KAPP ABC HD is still not up yet but it is still Tuesday night.

-YakHDTV06

I noticed the bg only audio on Crossing Jordan on Sunday too...so you're not the only one. Good thing my i still had the old recording scheduled on the analog tuner. I didn't realize KAPP was pushing for HD now; i saw an ad for them giving away an HDTV TV, and it made me laugh...but now it makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatcher_21 View Post

Also, my G4tech tv guide info is always wrong...

It's also been like that for me.

---------------

Overall, it's good to finally see some push for HD in Yakima, even in the OTA realm...and nice too see people talking about it on the interweb.
post #96 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 01:33 PM

I watched the 11pm news last night on KAPP to see if they would reair the piece on the news that someone in this forum caught the end of about HD. Unfortunately they didn't reair that piece and I didn't watch the 5pm newscast last night so I don't know what it was about either. Since KVEW and KAPP share news studios at 11PM, I doubt they aired it on KVEW last night either.

KAPP website now has HDTV contest rules link working now. I checked KVEW website and it is working as well now. KVEW now has a Super Bowl link on their website that has a countdown to the Super Bowl and lists the Super Bowl being HD over-the-air on 42.1 and on Charter Cable (Channel 780 or something like that). However, this link is not on the KAPP website yet.

Furthermore KAPP is still not broadcasting HD yet today. It is now after 1PM. I think I will start to get a little worried if KAPP HD is not on by 5PM since that is when the news comes on and the East Coast HD feed begins. I think we definately need to be concerned if it isn't on by 8PM when the shows in HD usually air.

-YakHDTV06
post #97 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM

It is now a little after 5:30PM Wed. night and still no HD on KAPP. Still only broadcasting one channel in SD called KAPP-DT. It looks like we are being delayed again.

KVEW HD OTA is apparently up because it is showing up in Titan TV's program schedule already. Anyone from Tri-Cities want to let me know if it is just Yakima that isn't getting HD or both?

-YakHDTV06
post #98 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 07:49 PM

KAPP-DT 35.1 went off the air about a few minutes after 6PM and is still down as of 7:45PM. Must be installing HD equipment. Hopefully it will be up before HD
programming on ABC starts at 8PM assuming they use the west coast feed tonight.

-YakHDTV06
post #99 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 PM

As of 8:38pm...still down. :-)

Tick tock.
post #100 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 10:44 PM

Having some wierd audio problems on Charter 782 KNDU HD. During local broadcasts and commercials, no problems, but when the prime time direct NBC feed starts in the evening, when it switches from HD to a commerical, there is no volume. Looking at my reciever, it looks like the audio signal never switches to 2.0 during commercial, and when the show comes on, the audio comes back no problem at 5.1. Now, I can tell its the direct NBC feed causing this becuase if there is a local commercial, the audio does switch to 2.0 and I get audio, then when it goes back to a direct NBC commercials, the reciever goes back to 5.1 and no audio till the show starts again. Am I the only one having this problem? Possible problem with my reciever? I emailed KNDU about it today so hopefully they can help me out. Also, no picutre on 780 yet, talked to a Charter tech and he said that everything on Charters end is done, they are just waiting for KVEW to install thier last piece of equipment, which they should have gotten yesterday and for them to configure it.
post #101 of 1604 Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Having some wierd audio problems on Charter 782 KNDU HD. During local broadcasts and commercials, no problems, but when the prime time direct NBC feed starts in the evening, when it switches from HD to a commerical, there is no volume.

Just got home and during commercials for Law and Order, its Brutal!
Not to mention Audio sync was really off and I finally had some time to call Charter about it. The CSR didnt even have 782 in her lineup. She sent something to the box, not sure what, but it helped a bit. Certainly not perfect, but its somewhat watchable. Law and order certainly looks like its in 2.0 to me, sounds like it as well.

I dont have 780 yet and I dont have a tuner to see if they are HD in the TC yet....ive got my fingers crossed they get it sorted out come sunday.

EDIT: this commercial sound going WAY high is happening on ESPN during the 11pm sportscenter....long live the mute button.
post #102 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 12:23 AM

Sorry couldn't resist putting all the 2's in the title!!

Now on to a more serious note. KAPP-DT was still down last time I checked at a quarter until Midnight. It was down during the entire HD Primetime Lineup on Wednesday night. I guess we won't see the KAPP HD channel up on Wednesday as the KAPP person stated in the newspaper. I just hope that KAPP/KVEW gets their act together. Not good when your digital station is down for at least 6 hours during regular programming. KAPP website has been down also all evening long even though KVEW's was up.

I guess what bothers me is what the weatherman on 35/42 said during tonight's 11PM newscast. He said something about that we were going to have the same weather pattern or something similar to that. With all the excitement in the air such as the Seahawks finally making it to the Super Bowl, and with KNDO and KAPP starting to broadcast in HD, I thought maybe KAPP was finally going to be a much better station like KNDO. Now I have to say nothing has really changed at KAPP. Their local news and public relations are following the same pattern as before the High definition announcement and the Seahawks playing in this year's Super Bowl.

-YakHDTV06
post #103 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81 View Post

I've got one of the Radio Shack Accurian OTA HDTV tuners that I picked up a few months ago. It seems to work well and picks up both PBS(HD and SD) channels, ABC and NBC in HD and their SD sub-channels. Unfortunately, I can't pickup the local CBS 19.1 station out here in Pasco near Road 68. Has anyone been able to get this channel in Pasco?

I've tried a few cheap indoor antennas including a powered one and they don't seem to pick up reception any better than using a paperclip. I want to order a Channel Master 4228 but I'd like to make sure I can pick up KEPR(CBS 19.1) before I buy the antenna.

BTW, the PBS HD channel alone is worth purchasing an HTDV receiver.

I'm off Road 68 by the water towers and I get KEPR just fine with my Radio Shack outdoor antenna. BTW, the KEPR DT feed is on 18.2 rather than 19.1.

I agree, the PBS HD feed is awesome.
post #104 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 AM

The good news is that KAPP's website is back up and now has the Super Bowl link saying the game will be OTA in HD as well as on Charter Cable.

Unfortunately there is bad news still to report on KAPP. It is now a little after 8AM Thursday morning and KAPP's digital station is still down. It has been down for 14 hours now. The game will be over in 85 hours from now. I still have no idea why it is down. Watched analog feed of KAPP last night at 11PM to find out why they were down and they didn't say a thing about KAPP-DT. Like I said in the last post, KAPP is still the same KAPP even though they have that new logo and are going to be HD eventually.

-YakHDTV06
post #105 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 AM

KAPP-DT finally came back up a little after 10AM this morning as KVEW-HD and KVEW-DT for the new 2nd channel just like it did when they tested the HD last Sunday night. Then it went down again a little before 11AM this morning.

I was not too impressed when it was up from about 10-11AM this morning. The HD signal didn't seem to be much better than the SD signal with the added side bars on my TV. The audio sounded like it was surround on both KVEW channels unlike the old KAPP-DT channel, but it sounded like it was playing the same sound on both left and right speakers. The picture was breaking up a lot also before it went down like it was losing the signal over and over again. Hopefully they are still working on both the picture and sound.

I don't care too much if it says KVEW instead of KAPP on the OTA channels here. But I hope they do not give us a SD signal of KAPP on the 2nd subchannel as this is a waste of bandwidth. Maybe they will give us the KVEW feed instead on the second channel so at least we can tune into Tri-Cities news at 5 and 6PM weekdays. Or better yet maybe they will put up that ABC digital news channel in place of the SD signal.
post #106 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Appears they are still having some glitches on their HD channel. But the picture when they were showing Monster INC. looked really really good. Maybe better than KNDO and KYVE PBS. I think they are showing some kind of ABC HD Test Feed or DVD right now. Maybe this will be a good HD channel after all.

-YakHDTV06
post #107 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 PM

It's now 2:10pm, and I'm seeing KAPPDT up, but showing that test loop. I just saw the Monsters Inc. preview, and it looked pretty good. I'll check again when I get back from class, but by then primetime will have already started.
post #108 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM

Ok Charter folks. Just got an email from the KVEW engineer and he said that channel 780 is uplinked but they had a piece of hardware go bad and that is why there is nothing on the channel now. He said that they got it replaced and that with some tweaks on Charters end, Charter should have the channel showing tomorrow. Also, is anyone else with the NBC audio problem?
post #109 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Well I was gone for a while, but when I got back a little before 5PM I noticed that KAPP-DT 35.1 is still labeled as KVEW-HD for 42.1 and KVEW-DT for 42.2. The signals on both channels seem to lose signal strength every so many seconds causing a lot of pixelation. Seems to happen more often on Network feeds than on Local News but does happen on both.

Appears they must be able to show HD shows during primetime now as they are showing News during the ABC East Coast feed's time. I will have to check to see if Crumbs at 9:30PM is OK since that is the only HD program tonight on KAPP 35.

-YakHDTV06
post #110 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Ok Charter folks. Just got an email from the KVEW engineer and he said that channel 780 is uplinked but they had a piece of hardware go bad and that is why there is nothing on the channel now. He said that they got it replaced and that with some tweaks on Charters end, Charter should have the channel showing tomorrow. Also, is anyone else with the NBC audio problem?

KVEW said on thier 5pm news that they were currently on 780--Not for me though. I will be patient and wait until tomorrow to start worrying.
post #111 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM

7pm, just got home and noticed Channel 780 is working!

I dont have an antenna right now to check for the OTA signal but Charter appears to be all set.
post #112 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Hey, 780 is working for me but again....no audio on the 2.0 audio shows. Right now Celebrity Justice or whatever that hollywood show is is on and I have no audio. Again, my reciever states that 5.1 signal is passing thru and no audio. Again, local broadcasts that are acutually 2.0 have no problem but the network feed has problems unless its actually in 5.1. I guess im the only one having this problem so it must be my reciever. That sucks, I like my Aiwa and dont want to replace it.
post #113 of 1604 Old 02-02-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiger View Post

7pm, just got home and noticed Channel 780 is working!

I dont have an antenna right now to check for the OTA signal but Charter appears to be all set.

The OTA signal is working for me...I missed Crumbs to check the actual HD feed, but the channel is up.
post #114 of 1604 Old 02-03-2006, 08:02 AM

Currently KAPP's HD channel and SD channel (AKA KVEW-HD and KVEW-DT) are both down again with only about 60 Hours until the big game on Sunday is over. Hopefully they will get this channel fixed before the Pre-game stuff or they ought to be guilty of false advertising. Well they just mentioned that the game would be HD in their commercials didn't they?? They didn't mention the Pre-game stuff.

Crumbs in HD looked about as good as The Office in HD on the other channel at the same time. Audio on Crumbs on HD Channel seemed to be good. However the sound on the SD channel seems to be a little loud. I also think they must be using "false" or "simulated" surround during non-HD programming. The same IHOP commercial on KVEW-HD didn't sound as good as when it aired on KNDO-HD about the same time when I was flipping channels. Anyone else thinks the audio on KVEW-HD sounds "false"??

-YakHDTV06
post #115 of 1604 Old 02-03-2006, 10:28 AM

KAPP Digital Over-the-air came back on about 8:15AM during Good Morning America and was NOT HD on KVEW-HD 42.1 channel. They had Lionel Richie performing Brick House and All Night Long and the surround seemed like the fake 3-D or virtual surround option found on some DVD players. Didn't seem like they used 2 seperate left/right audio channels. Is it just me who thinks I am not hearing different left/right audio channels??

It gets even worse for KAPP. The signal for KAPP's HD channel, KVEW-HD, is still losing its signal as well as the SD subchannel every so often. It will happen like at least 3 or more times within a minute or two. Then it may be fine for like 10 or 20 minutes it seems.

Let us hope they get this fixed really really soon. KAPP's HD lineup on Super Bowl Sunday starts in under 48 hours now and they have been working on this for over 40 hours now!! I don't remember KNDO going down anywhere near the hours that KAPP has been down.

-YakHDTV06
post #116 of 1604 Old 02-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Well, 780 was working yesterday...with the audio problems but now, 780 is not working, I get the "call to subscribe" message again. Man I hope they get this worked out by sunday.
post #117 of 1604 Old 02-03-2006, 03:28 PM

The channel labels have finally changed from KVEW-HD & KVEW-DT to KAPP-HD & KAPP-DT on KAPP's digital channels. The audio seems to be real surround for now on KAPP-HD but not 100% sure. The audio on KAPP-DT SD channel appears to be Mono now. I don't know why this channel was even put on. Hopefully they will change it to a digital KVEW feed so we can get Tri-Cities news at 5, 6, and at the beginning of the 11PM broadcasts. Or better yet that digital news channel that ABC affiliates air in certain parts of the country.

However they still seem to be losing signal strength every once in a while like I mentioned in the last few posts. They don't have much time left to fix this. They only got about 42 hours until the HD programming starts on Sunday. I doubt they are working 24 hours on weekdays. I doubt they are working 24 hours on the weekends as well.

-YakHDTV06
post #118 of 1604 Old 02-03-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

However they still seem to be losing signal strength every once in a while like I mentioned in the last few posts. They don't have much time left to fix this. They only got about 42 hours until the HD programming starts on Sunday. I doubt they are working 24 hours on weekdays. I doubt they are working 24 hours on the weekends as well.
-YakHDTV06

Suggest you take a deep breath and relax a little. They have plenty of time to tweak out the system before the big game.
post #119 of 1604 Old 02-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Hey, 780 is working for me but again....no audio on the 2.0 audio shows. Right now Celebrity Justice or whatever that hollywood show is is on and I have no audio. Again, my reciever states that 5.1 signal is passing thru and no audio. Again, local broadcasts that are acutually 2.0 have no problem but the network feed has problems unless its actually in 5.1. I guess im the only one having this problem so it must be my reciever. That sucks, I like my Aiwa and dont want to replace it.

When some of the programs show DD(5.1) audio, I get no sound when I turn my receiver to 5.1. If I just turn my speakers on stereo, it comes through.
post #120 of 1604 Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post

I'm off Road 68 by the water towers and I get KEPR just fine with my Radio Shack outdoor antenna. BTW, the KEPR DT feed is on 18.2 rather than 19.1.

I agree, the PBS HD feed is awesome.

Sparky, which Radio Shack antenna are you using? Also, how well does Fox analog come in on channel 11? I think it's VHF.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page