Yakima, WA - HDTV - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1604 Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes fox told me "DirecTV has decided not to provide guide information for low power stations, of which KCYU is considered low power. We have appealed to them to perhaps rethink their strategy, but we may not know anything for quite some time."

I called DTV for an explanation and of course got the run around and they said it has absolutely nothing to do with them. I am done with DTV. It was bad enough I had to buy an extra piece of equipment just to get these channels and now they are taking them away. I tried the work around before by adding stations in other networks just to pick up a channel. I don’t have time to play games anymore just to get something that we should all have just like our neighbors. Glad I didn’t make the plunge to buy another hd dvr and AM21 for the bedroom! I will not continue waiting for them all the time. I am finally just going to switch to Charter. So that is about all I have to say on the subject. Best of luck to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1604 Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Since I haven't posted here in quite some time, I decided to list the stations I am able to receive over-the-air in the lower valley area of Yakima County as of April 6, 2010.

2.1 KUNW Univision [Spanish]
23.1 KNDO-HD NBC
23.2 Universal Sports
23.3 SWX Sports and Weather Channel
29.1 KIMA-HD CBS
29.2 CW
35.1 KAPP-HD ABC
35.2 KAPP MyNetworkTV
39.1 MEXICANAL [Spanish]
41.1 KCYU-HD FOX
41.2 THIS [Mostly Movies]
43 Analog Hispanavision [Mostly Spanish]
47.1 KYVE-HD PBS
47.2 V-ME [Spanish]
47.3 Create [Mostly Travel and How-To Shows]
51.1 3ABN [Religious]
51.2 3ABN Latino [Spanish Religious]
51.3 3ABN [Religious Audio only Channel]
51.4 3ABN [Religious Audio only Channel]

Excluded from the list are Ch. 2 Analog which is low powered and unwatchable version for me of the above 2.1 Digital station.

Also excluded is Ch. 10 Analog which is a low powered and somewhat unwatchable version for me of 41.1 KCYU FOX.

And Ch. 45 CBY TBN [Religious] Analog I have excluded because it has been off-air for a few days. Haven't heard whether it just went off the air for good or is in the process of switching to a digital signal yet.

A couple of reasons for the above list are because the Yakima Herald recently reported that the new MEXICANAL channel is on 39.2 but it is actually on 39.1 for now. I am assuming MEXICANAL will eventually be on .2 with Hispanavision on 39.1 in the near future since they are both being broadcast by the same people.

Also there were some inaccuracies in the letter one of the readers had in the newspaper today. He implied there are 20 channels and that 18 were HD channels. But what it should have said is there are 18 digital channels of which 5 are HD channels.

I know this might be getting a little off-topic, but while the letter to the editor seemed to mention that we have a wide variety of programming which is very true if you were referring to Spanish programming, the local English news programming at 11PM is surprisingly very weak. Only one station KNDO-HD has real local news right at 11PM that is more than a couple of minutes long. But that is just my opinion.

-YakHDTV06
post #1533 of 1604 Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Well since the last post Channel 45 TBN has now switched to a digital signal here in the Yakima area.

45.1 is the main TBN channel that they aired on the analog channel 45 before.
45.2 is a new channel that is all children's programming.

Also Hispanavision is still on analog tv on channel 43, but is now available on digital 39.1 and Mexicanal is now on 39.2 digital subchannel.

But I am having issues receiving both 45 and 39 digital channels due to the fact that 45 is actually being broadcast on 35 which is the same channel number that the local ABC station KAPP remaps to. You might very well have to scan all channels for the tuner of your tv or converter box to find it.

As for 39.1 & 39.2, my HDTV will not find the signal most of the time. This isn't a big deal for me because they are both Spanish stations and I don't care really for Spanish TV. This is just to verify if anyone else has been having issues with the way 39.1 & 39.2 are broadcasting.

The good news is all of the analog channels in the Yakima area are now broadcasting in digital, though a few Spanish stations are still broadcasting their companion analog channels and for the time being are refusing to give back their airwaves.

-YakHDTV06
post #1534 of 1604 Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

The good news is all of the analog channels in the Yakima area are now broadcasting in digital, though a few Spanish stations are still broadcasting their companion analog channels and for the time being are refusing to give back their airwaves. -YakHDTV06

The full meal deal is that these guys don't HAVE to give back their analog channels. They're low power stations and there is no requirement for them to give back their analog channels or even to turn on digital ones.

With the National Broadband plan worded the way it is the FCC is gonna take another 20 channels away from TV in the next five years anyways so maybe these guys will end up completely homeless.
post #1535 of 1604 Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschall View Post

The full meal deal is that these guys don't HAVE to give back their analog channels. They're low power stations and there is no requirement for them to give back their analog channels or even to turn on digital ones.

With the National Broadband plan worded the way it is the FCC is gonna take another 20 channels away from TV in the next five years anyways so maybe these guys will end up completely homeless.

I know the FCC has no rules for when these 2 low powered stations should cease analog broadcasting that I was referring to. My main problem with these 2 Low powered TV analog stations being on the air is that they are reaching such a small audience these days since they are only Spanish language programming, and it is a wasted investment at this point to still support a broadcasting format which is rapidly becoming obsolete such as analog.

-YakHDTV06
post #1536 of 1604 Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Still no love for us from DirecTV.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177320
No mention of this DMA getting HD locals anytime in the forseeable future. I hate being stuck in this backwater DMA, especially since I don't even live in Washington. I might have to look into going back over to the dark side (cable) so I can get Portland stations again.
post #1537 of 1604 Old 05-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwww98 View Post

Still no love for us from DirecTV.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177320
No mention of the this DMA getting HD locals anytime in the forseeable future. I hate being stuck in this backwater DMA, especially since I don't even live in Washington. I might have to look into going back over to the dark side (cable) so I can get Portland stations again.

What zip code are you in that you are living out of state and being made to take Yakima stations?
post #1538 of 1604 Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM

97838. Hermiston Oregon. Umatilla County. About 40 miles south of Kennewick. What's crazy is people who live in La Grande (Union County) get to be part of the Portland DMA even though they are 100 miles farther East from Portland. Cable here provides both DMA's... Portland stations and Yakima/Kennewick/Pasco stations. But I hate cable. Customer service sucks. HD is not as good and their DVR's aren't as good as DirecTV's.
post #1539 of 1604 Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

Since I haven't posted here in quite some time, I decided to list the stations I am able to receive over-the-air in the lower valley area of Yakima County as of April 6, 2010.

2.1 KUNW Univision [Spanish]
23.1 KNDO-HD NBC
23.2 Universal Sports
23.3 SWX Sports and Weather Channel
29.1 KIMA-HD CBS
29.2 CW
35.1 KAPP-HD ABC
35.2 KAPP MyNetworkTV
39.1 MEXICANAL [Spanish]
41.1 KCYU-HD FOX
41.2 THIS [Mostly Movies]
43 Analog Hispanavision [Mostly Spanish]
47.1 KYVE-HD PBS
47.2 V-ME [Spanish]
47.3 Create [Mostly Travel and How-To Shows]
51.1 3ABN [Religious]
51.2 3ABN Latino [Spanish Religious]
51.3 3ABN [Religious Audio only Channel]
51.4 3ABN [Religious Audio only Channel]

Excluded from the list are Ch. 2 Analog which is low powered and unwatchable version for me of the above 2.1 Digital station.

Also excluded is Ch. 10 Analog which is a low powered and somewhat unwatchable version for me of 41.1 KCYU FOX.

And Ch. 45 CBY TBN [Religious] Analog I have excluded because it has been off-air for a few days. Haven't heard whether it just went off the air for good or is in the process of switching to a digital signal yet.

A couple of reasons for the above list are because the Yakima Herald recently reported that the new MEXICANAL channel is on 39.2 but it is actually on 39.1 for now. I am assuming MEXICANAL will eventually be on .2 with Hispanavision on 39.1 in the near future since they are both being broadcast by the same people.

Also there were some inaccuracies in the letter one of the readers had in the newspaper today. He implied there are 20 channels and that 18 were HD channels. But what it should have said is there are 18 digital channels of which 5 are HD channels.

I know this might be getting a little off-topic, but while the letter to the editor seemed to mention that we have a wide variety of programming which is very true if you were referring to Spanish programming, the local English news programming at 11PM is surprisingly very weak. Only one station KNDO-HD has real local news right at 11PM that is more than a couple of minutes long. But that is just my opinion.

-YakHDTV06

How do you get these local channels in HD, for example 29.1? I just switched from Charter to Direct TV because I thought it would have more HD channels, but did not realize until after the install that I do not have ABC, NBC, CBS and KYVE in HD like I did with Charter. I watch a lot of PBS especially. How do I access these local channels in HD?
post #1540 of 1604 Old 06-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realgone View Post

How do you get these local channels in HD, for example 29.1? I just switched from Charter to Direct TV because I thought it would have more HD channels, but did not realize until after the install that I do not have ABC, NBC, CBS and KYVE in HD like I did with Charter. I watch a lot of PBS especially. How do I access these local channels in HD?

Recently, D* announce an expansion of local channels in HD from now through 2011. Unfortunately, the Yakima/Tri Cities area was not included. So, the only other way for you to receive them (other that going back to cable) is via an outside antenna (OTA).

What model receiver do you have? I have an older H-100 and can integrate local OTA and D* programing through the receiver. I understand one can use an attachment with newer receivers to do the same.
post #1541 of 1604 Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEP1030 View Post

Recently, D* announce an expansion of local channels in HD from now through 2011. Unfortunately, the Yakima/Tri Cities area was not included. So, the only other way for you to receive them (other that going back to cable) is via an outside antenna (OTA).

What model receiver do you have? I have an older H-100 and can integrate local OTA and D* programing through the receiver. I understand one can use an attachment with newer receivers to do the same.

We just got it so I am assuming it is the newest stuff they got. How did you integrate the OTA? I would like to give it a try.

When I made the switch, I did not even consider looking to see if those channels were available in HD. I cannot believe that they do not have the 4 major network channels ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS in HD. Unbelievable. One of the things I looked forward to when I just got my first Plasma TV was watching sports. Now when football season comes around, if it is not on NFL network, I will have to watch it in SD. HOW LAME!

I am locked in for two years now
post #1542 of 1604 Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:

We just got it so I am assuming it is the newest stuff they got. How did you integrate the OTA? I would like to give it a try.

When I made the switch, I did not even consider looking to see if those channels were available in HD. I cannot believe that they do not have the 4 major network channels ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS in HD. Unbelievable. One of the things I looked forward to when I just got my first Plasma TV was watching sports. Now when football season comes around, if it is not on NFL network, I will have to watch it in SD. HOW LAME!

Google AM21. Plenty of vendors sell it, however, make sure it is compatible with your receiver.
post #1543 of 1604 Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:

I also have DirecTV and get my local channels through an OTA Antenna. Unless you have the ability to run new line to each TV, I recommend using a Diplexer. This will allow you to run the OTA signal on the same coax cable as the satellite signal. Depending on how many receivers you want to run the OTA signal to, you can use a multi-path diplexer to force the OTA signal in to several different lines in the house, then use individual diplexers at each receiver to separate the signal back out. Keep in mind the newer HD receivers do not have ATSC (OTA) tuners built in but they are sold separately. It is called the AM21 as the previous poster pointed out. However they are very expensive ($99 ea) last I checked. Good luck, if you need more info, just ask, a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help.
post #1544 of 1604 Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Maybe it's too late to switch to Dish. Dish carries local HD stations and OTA channels can easily be integrated into all HD receivers, also. I have two vip 211 receivers which I converted to DVR's by adding external hard drives.
post #1545 of 1604 Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 PM

So I moved from Yakima to Selah, I want Direct TV but they don't carry locals in HD. I live down inside the city, I threw up an antenna on the roof and I was able to pick up NBC and ABC, but no FOX or CBS. I desperately need to have FOX and CBS for football season. The antenna is just laying on it's side I didn't mount it. I just wanted to see if I could pick up anything at all. Would it be worth it to mount it 36 ft. in the air or so? Or am I just without FOX and CBS? BTW I hate charter, their HD isn't really HD.

Ugh... Selah,
Rob
post #1546 of 1604 Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 PM

Can any DTV customers using the AM21 confirm if they are able to get Fox 41.1 through their guide now? I do see 41.1 appearing in the zaptoit.com tv listings for local broadcast channels for Yakima and this is what drives the DTV guide. I left DTV earlier in the year because I could not get fox HD through the guide to record it. If they have picked it up again I may consider returning because Charter cable boxes are junk and I have had 5 replaced in the last month and the last 2 units I got are still faulty. Thanks in advance.
post #1547 of 1604 Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normajean999 View Post

Can any DTV customers using the AM21 confirm if they are able to get Fox 41.1 through their guide now? I do see 41.1 appearing in the zaptoit.com tv listings for local broadcast channels for Yakima and this is what drives the DTV guide. I left DTV earlier in the year because I could not get fox HD through the guide to record it. If they have picked it up again I may consider returning because Charter cable boxes are junk and I have had 5 replaced in the last month and the last 2 units I got are still faulty. Thanks in advance.

I have an HR20 (with the integrated OTA tuner). I re-ran antenna setup and 41-1 is still not included in the guide information.
post #1548 of 1604 Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Can anyone verify that that they are getting FOX in HD using the AM21.
post #1549 of 1604 Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Can anyone verify that that they are getting FOX in HD using the AM21.

Just got my AM21, still no Fox. Did you hear something that would indicate otherwise?
post #1550 of 1604 Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Michelson View Post

Just got my AM21, still no Fox. Did you hear something that would indicate otherwise?

No. I did not realize that DirecTV did not have locals in HD until I hooked it up. I did not bother looking, I just assumed that they would have locals in HD. I searched for an answer and then I found this forum. That is how I heard about the AM21. I thought I had read that the easy fix to get locals in HD was to buy the AM21 and than I read that people are not getting FOX in HD, which would be my main reason for buying one because I want to watch the Seahawks in HD. I was trying to confirm it before spending the money. I ended up buying one any ways. When I get it up and running I will post whether or not I am picking up 41.1 in HD.
post #1551 of 1604 Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The AM-21 is a relatively new Digital TV tuner, and it's as capable as any other current DTV tuner in receiving local stations. In other words, if you're not getting stations, unless you have a dud, the AM-21 isn't the problem.

Sometimes, DTV reception is as much art as science. For full power station reception, assuming you have no physical obstructions (like mountains) between you and the transmitter tower, 50-60 miles is usually the limit. Having said that, exceptions always apply.

To get assistance with Digital TV over-the-air reception issues, go to TV Fool.com, enter your info, then post it at AVS in a new topic, in the HDTV Technical Forum.

You'll get advice from members with extensive OTA reception experience, who can usually tell you if reception of a given station is possible, and who will make specific hardware and set up recommendations.

Also, on the FOX 41 web site, they offer assistance with DTV reception issues by calling (509) 448-2828. They are a low power station, so I would imagine they have experience in helping with reception issues.

Good Luck.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1552 of 1604 Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 AM

Ken, I don't think reception is the issue in this case. DirecTV's receivers do not scan for channels in the traditional way by scanning through all the frequencies and latching onto whatever they find. They just receive the channels that you get in the guide, which is based on the zip code you put into the receiver. The problem was, and still may be (hence the question) that DirecTV does not include that particular channel (41-1) in their guide data for Yakima, therefore the DirecTV receiver will not recognize it.
post #1553 of 1604 Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM

A few days ago, I stopped getting several of the Yakima OTA channels, so I'm wondering if it's just me and I need to figure out what's up, or if others are having the same problem. Main one I'm concerned with is SWX as they're suppose to broadcast several CWU football games
post #1554 of 1604 Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee-Woo View Post

A few days ago, I stopped getting several of the Yakima OTA channels, so I'm wondering if it's just me and I need to figure out what's up, or if others are having the same problem. Main one I'm concerned with is SWX as they're suppose to broadcast several CWU football games

I can't speak for the others but no changes have been made to KYVE47. That transmitter is on and operating normally.
post #1555 of 1604 Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Thanks-It's been KNDO & Kapp I've had problems with---but I did my daily rescan just a few minutes ago and they're fine again. In fact my signal strength seems better than normal

Problem with being here in EBurg is the translator often is 'flaky'

But for now-all seems good again

Haven't had problems with KYVE that I recall (I watch it often BTW)---Fox & CBS also are also consistently good for me
post #1556 of 1604 Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee-Woo View Post

Thanks-It's been KNDO & Kapp I've had problems with---but I did my daily rescan just a few minutes ago and they're fine again. In fact my signal strength seems better than normal

Problem with being here in EBurg is the translator often is 'flaky'

But for now-all seems good again

Haven't had problems with KYVE that I recall (I watch it often BTW)---Fox & CBS also are also consistently good for me

I'm glad that KYVE is often good for you. We have had problems with the receiver for that rig 'locking up' on us. Those translators all pick up their respective stations over the air from either Yakima in most instances or Spokane. Feel free to drop a message here if you have problems with KYVE or any of the others really. I'll pass it along to the appropriate people.
post #1557 of 1604 Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 PM

OK, so I just got my AM21 and hooked it up to the DTV. In the instructions it says to connect the ATSC off-air antenna. I did not realized I needed this, I thought the unit was all I needed, but obviously I need something because when I try to go to one of the ota channels, it just keeps searching.

So, what do I need? What is the cheapest and still works well? Do I have to hook something up on my roof because that is out of the question?
post #1558 of 1604 Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:

OK, so I just got my AM21 and hooked it up to the DTV. In the instructions it says to connect the ATSC off-air antenna. I did not realized I needed this, I thought the unit was all I needed, but obviously I need something because when I try to go to one of the ota channels, it just keeps searching.

So, what do I need? What is the cheapest and still works well? Do I have to hook something up on my roof because that is out of the question?

Depending on your location, $7 rabbit ears could work. Check out tvfool.com, enter your address and see if there are any obstructions between you and the transmitter. If there are, you may need to go with something more powerful (read: more expensive).
post #1559 of 1604 Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Hooked up the AM21 and OTA antenna and can get all the major networks, but NO FOX. That was the whole point of spending the money. I wanted to watch the Seahawks in HD. I switched to DirecTV after having Charter for years and I really like it, but I cannot believe they do not offer locals in HD. Hopefully they will fix this problem soon.
post #1560 of 1604 Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:

Hooked up the AM21 and OTA antenna and can get all the major networks, but NO FOX. That was the whole point of spending the money. I wanted to watch the Seahawks in HD. I switched to DirecTV after having Charter for years and I really like it, but I cannot believe they do not offer locals in HD. Hopefully they will fix this problem soon.

The easiest thing to do would be to connect the antenna to the back of your TV. You won't be able to rewind or record, obviously, but you'll be able to watch the game in HD.

Another option (which works for me, I can't guarantee it will work for you) is to re-run the antenna setup and enter 64108 as your secondary market Zip Code. It's Kansas City and they have a channel on 41-1. Wait for setup to complete and select only 41-1 from the Kansas City stations. The problem: The listings won't be correct (it's an NBC affiliate), but you'll be able to watch the game or manually record it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page