Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1604 Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Michelson View Post

The easiest thing to do would be to connect the antenna to the back of your TV. You won't be able to rewind or record, obviously, but you'll be able to watch the game in HD.

Another option (which works for me, I can't guarantee it will work for you) is to re-run the antenna setup and enter 64108 as your secondary market Zip Code. It's Kansas City and they have a channel on 41-1. Wait for setup to complete and select only 41-1 from the Kansas City stations. The problem: The listings won't be correct (it's an NBC affiliate), but you'll be able to watch the game or manually record it.

I tried that and it did not work. I checked the signal strength and messed around with my antenna and had it hovering around 70%, but when I go to the channel, it just keeps searching.

I think I am going to call the local FOX station and ask them what's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1604 Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Liked: 10
KNDO/KNDU dropping NBC Universal Sports!

In case you haven't noticed, our local NBC affiliate is dropping Universal Sports. This is disappointing since, even though it isn't HD, there was some good free sports programming on there.

Here's the official response from their engineer, Mark Kennedy:

"Because of both rights and quality issues, we have decided to put our resources to improve the quality of our local sports channel - SWX on 23.3. Because of that, as of 9/1/2010 we have discontinued our Universal Sports channel 23.2."

I am going to write an official letter expressing my opinion to the station. I'd encourage others who will miss Universal Sports to do the same.
post #1563 of 1604 Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoritz View Post

KNDO/KNDU dropping NBC Universal Sports!

In case you haven't noticed, our local NBC affiliate is dropping Universal Sports. This is disappointing since, even though it isn't HD, there was some good free sports programming on there.

Here's the official response from their engineer, Mark Kennedy:

"Because of both rights and quality issues, we have decided to put our resources to improve the quality of our local sports channel - SWX on 23.3. Because of that, as of 9/1/2010 we have discontinued our Universal Sports channel 23.2."

I am going to write an official letter expressing my opinion to the station. I'd encourage others who will miss Universal Sports to do the same.

I noticed that 23.2 is now the same programming as 23.3 for the last several days. I am also getting frustrated with KNDO/KNDU as of late because their news seems to have shifted from a Yakima only to Yakima/Tri-Cities combined news broadcasts over the Summer months. It doesn't bother me to see Tri-Cities news except for the fact that many of the people interviewed for news stories are from the Tri-Cities area.

I wish KNDO would start getting the resources to start broadcasting the syndicated shows in HD that are available in HD such as Wheel and Jeopardy like KAPP does with Oprah and Live with Regis and Kelly. And if they are not going to broadcast Universal Sports, I hope they go back to broadcasting their local digital news channel or start broadcasting some oldies network because it is depressing to see KNDO digital airing the same thing on 2 different channels.

-YakHDTV06
post #1564 of 1604 Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM

But the important part is that it is NOT High Definition. The picture is still the standard 4X3 with side bars. The sides are only bars with "KIMA Action News - Taking Action For You" written on them vertically.

So anyone out there think that KIMA will actually do HD news anytime soon? It is going to be a real disappointment if this is what they are going to fill the sides of widescreen TVs all of the time.

-YakHDTV06
post #1565 of 1604 Old 10-21-2010, 06:30 PM

I was called to help a client in Grand Junction, Colorado, and after the first day went back to my motel room, popped the top on a Coors, flipped on the TV and was surprised to see high definition local news. No, it wasn't stretch 9x16 standard definition that some stations, like I saw in Boise, use to fool us viewers. Grand Junction-Montrose is a hyphenated market like Yakima-Tri-Cities and it takes two towers to cover the area. I was really amazed to find out Grand Junction-Montrose is market size 184 while Yakima-Tri-Cities is much larger at size 126. Sort of proves to me that the owners of our local stations are too focused on greed rather than serving the viewers.
post #1566 of 1604 Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by telop View Post

Grand Junction-Montrose is a hyphenated market like Yakima-Tri-Cities and it takes two towers to cover the area. I was really amazed to find out Grand Junction-Montrose is market size 184 while Yakima-Tri-Cities is much larger at size 126. Sort of proves to me that the owners of our local stations are too focused on greed rather than serving the viewers.

It may take multiple transmitters, but they all carry identical feeds--the signal in Montrose is identical to the one in Glenwood Springs is identical to the one in Grand Junction. As I recall, the Yakima and Tri-Cities areas receive different newscasts, meaning the owners would have to buy two sets of equipment to produce HD news whereas the Grand Junction stations only had to buy one set.

In addition, one of the two stations that went HD in Grand Junction did so because their facility burned to the ground and they had to rebuild anyway.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1567 of 1604 Old 11-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Does anyone working for Fischer take notice of this feed???? It's constantly pixelating! It happens ota 19-1 and on charter's 781 feed. If you tune into the same NFL game on directv NFL Sunday ticket, the picture is perfect with zero pixelization. I am going to give them a ring Monday, it's brutal.
post #1568 of 1604 Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Not picking up KNDU ota today. Anyone else having the same problem?
post #1569 of 1604 Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike41423 View Post

Does anyone working for Fischer take notice of this feed???? It's constantly pixelating! It happens ota 19-1 and on charter's 781 feed. If you tune into the same NFL game on directv NFL Sunday ticket, the picture is perfect with zero pixelization. I am going to give them a ring Monday, it's brutal.

What did you find out?!?!?!

Jim
post #1570 of 1604 Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Just found this forum due to switching over to HD on new TV. Great info. I appreciate all the posts and have learned a lot just reading through some of the previous posts.

I have Direct TV and of course found out AFTER the fact (my fault) that local channels are not in HD. So I went out and purchased an indoor antenna hoping this would give me decent OTA HD.

I live in South Kennewick. I live about 5 miles from Jump Off Joe. I have had fair success picking up Fox, ABC, and NBC. I have had to tinker some with antenna depending on the channel. I have two questions I was hoping someone may be able to help me with.

Has anyone in my general area had success picking up CBS? I know the transmitter is at Johnson Butte. This is not too far from me but the engineer there said I may be "in the shadow" of the signal.

The second question is whether or not an AM21 tuner from Direct TV would improve the reception? I am not excited about the idea of an outdoor antenna. I am just hoping to enjoy picture on new TV on network channels.
Thanks in advance.
post #1571 of 1604 Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Can't answer your first question because I live in Yakima. I am not an expert, but the AM21 is not an antenna it is an OTA reciever and you still need an antenna, reception should be unchanged when using the same antenna.

I get all HD locals OTA with an antenna, however, I had to buy two antennas. 1 for the TV and 1 for the AM21. For some reason and you should know this, DirecTV does not include FOX41-1 in their programming guide, so even though I can get it OTA and it is there, I cannot watch it through the AM21 because it is not included in the program guide. If I want to watch FOX in HD, I have to switch from Cable to TV and get it OTA. Luckily the second antenna only cost me $14.99.

If you are not going to DVR your locals (with the exception of FOX because you can't), then don't bother with the AM21.
post #1572 of 1604 Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Also, I believe there is an slimline outdoor antenna that can be hooked directly on your DirecTV dish. I think there might be some splicing involved, but I am pretty sure that DirecTV does this service.

Refer to this link for the antenna.

http://www.highdefforum.com/directv-...r-antenna.html
post #1573 of 1604 Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realgone View Post

Can't answer your first question because I live in Yakima. I am not an expert, but the AM21 is not an antenna it is an OTA reciever and you still need an antenna, reception should be unchanged when using the same antenna.

I get all HD locals OTA with an antenna, however, I had to buy two antennas. 1 for the TV and 1 for the AM21. For some reason and you should know this, DirecTV does not include FOX41-1 in their programming guide, so even though I can get it OTA and it is there, I cannot watch it through the AM21 because it is not included in the program guide. If I want to watch FOX in HD, I have to switch from Cable to TV and get it OTA. Luckily the second antenna only cost me $14.99.

If you are not going to DVR your locals (with the exception of FOX because you can't), then don't bother with the AM21.

Regarding FOX, I think that is just a Yakima issue. You can get FOX in Kennewick on 11-1, it is in the guide and with the AM-21 it will be integrated seamlessly into the DVR. I get all four networks with a roof mounted antenna here in Hermiston and it all works perfectly with my DirecTV DVR.
post #1574 of 1604 Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwww98 View Post

Regarding FOX, I think that is just a Yakima issue. You can get FOX in Kennewick on 11-1, it is in the guide and with the AM-21 it will be integrated seamlessly into the DVR. I get all four networks with a roof mounted antenna here in Hermiston and it all works perfectly with my DirecTV DVR.

You are probably right. This is an issue in Yakima. 41-1 is not provided in the program guide, but in tri-cities, they are probably using high power stations and will be in the guide.

So, only get the AM21 if you want to DVR locals. If not you can spend a lot less and just pick up the channels OTA with an inexpensive antenna. Mine cost $14.99.
post #1575 of 1604 Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkroadrunner View Post

Just found this forum due to switching over to HD on new TV. Great info. I appreciate all the posts and have learned a lot just reading through some of the previous posts.

I have Direct TV and of course found out AFTER the fact (my fault) that local channels are not in HD. So I went out and purchased an indoor antenna hoping this would give me decent OTA HD.

I live in South Kennewick. I live about 5 miles from Jump Off Joe. I have had fair success picking up Fox, ABC, and NBC. I have had to tinker some with antenna depending on the channel. I have two questions I was hoping someone may be able to help me with.

Has anyone in my general area had success picking up CBS? I know the transmitter is at Johnson Butte. This is not too far from me but the engineer there said I may be "in the shadow" of the signal.

I live on the north side of Canyon Lakes in a condo. Since it's a hassle to install an outside antenna on the roof (by laws), I have one located in an unused bedroom and connected to a H20-100. I tried an indoor type but also could not receive all of the OTA channels. Suggest you try an outside type. Now I received all channels.
post #1576 of 1604 Old 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEP1030 View Post

I live on the north side of Canyon Lakes in a condo. Since it's a hassle to install an outside antenna on the roof (by laws), I have one located in an unused bedroom and connected to a H20-100. I tried an indoor type but also could not receive all of the OTA channels. Suggest you try an outside type. Now I received all channels.

Thank you all for the input. I bought a slightly better antenna (amplified rabbit ears) and am able to get FOX, ABC, and NBC very clearly with the antenna. I am unable to get anything from CBS OTA. If I put an antenna in the attic I suppose I may be able to get CBS. For now, I am probably going to stand pat and live with CBS in SD.
post #1577 of 1604 Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Havent posted in a while but have a question. I live here in Walla Walla and a couple of friends have put up outdoor antennaes and they get all the Tri Cities channels in digital expect for Fox KFFX. They state that they have a long range UFH/VHF antennae and all the channels come in 90%+ but Fox is coming in 0 in digital and barely there analog. They have tried pointing to Tri Cities and also Spout Springs. They are both using the DTV AM21 tuner. Is it not possible to get KFFX ota from Walla Walla,WA? Any info and help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1578 of 1604 Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM

I thought I would update everyone on FOX 41-1 in Yakima with the AM21. Around the same time we lost FOX and gained the LA FOX channel via channel 398 or 399, I noticed that 41-1 was now included in the program guide. I did a lot of complaining to DirecTV and told informed them that the local station is broadcasting in HD, but that I can only pick it up OTA from my TV but not OTA on my AM21 and why they were blocking it or not including that channel in their guide. I don't know if my complaining did any good, but for some reason or another, FOX 41-1 is not in the guide and I can record it with my DVR. You still need an AM21 to get it over the air and record. Of course if you don't care about DVR, it has always been available OTA with an antenna that will set you back around $15.

Also, when I go to the setup to pick which channels I want included in the guide, I cannot see FOX 41-1 and initially when I set up the OTA it was not there, but after a little while, it just showed up. I have done this twice and somehow or another it shows up.
post #1579 of 1604 Old 02-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Good luck. We have had been Dish customers for years and channel 11 has either been spotty or not all. Fortunally Dish was able to make a deal with FOX and we got to see all the regular season football, but never OTA. As with you all the ABC,CBS, NBC channels are perfect, even with a $29.00 Radio Shack attenna here in Walla Walla but no OTA 11.

Luck

M
post #1580 of 1604 Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM

I have 2 silver receivers with the OTA tuners built in and a black receiver using the AM21 for OTA programming. Problem is when I watch 11-1 KFFX the sound skips and it's really annoying, video is ok. If change the channel and go back to 11-1 it fixes the problem. This only happens on the AM21, the older silver boxes (H10 I think) are fine. I talked with a buddy who has 3 AM21's and he has the same problem with fox. So we believe it has something to do with the AM21 and Fox. Signals are great.. I really don't know what could cause this and I've searched everywhere for answers.

Any clue?
post #1581 of 1604 Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM

D* just announced that 16 new markets will receive LIL HD in 2011. Naturally, our market is not included. Sure love my H20.
post #1582 of 1604 Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Looks like D* have stopped transmitting local Fox stations again. Round two.
post #1583 of 1604 Old 06-26-2011, 04:04 PM

I don't know if it's Yakima or TV in general. But here I set in the Oxford Suites. With my little portable TV on the coffee table I get 17 streams and one analog station. KNDO is a bit banged up but the rest are very solid. The only analog I see, channel 2, isn't worth wasting time on.

The sad part, there's nothing on worth watching. At least the opera on KYVE is an interesting story.
post #1584 of 1604 Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Anyone notice that KNDU's local news (Kennewick, WA) is now transmitting in HD? I "think" that it's not really HD and that they're simply transmitting a wide-screen SD signal.
post #1585 of 1604 Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Yes, I did notice the news was in HD last night on KNDU. I am not sure either if it is actually and HD signal, as the picture quality was not that great. I think it is, but maybe they just haven't worked out all the kinks. I noticed their HD logo in the bottom right corner was on during most of their programming last night, and when Minute To Win It came on, half of the sound track was missing. You could hear the crowd cheering and the sound effects, but could not hear the main characters speaking. It was remedied by the end of the show, but was really odd.

By the way, sure glad Shane Edinger is back as co-anchor. Vast improvement over the previous guy.

Also, for you guys having trouble getting FOX in the Tri-Cities, 11.1 is VHF HI band, so you will need a VHF HI capable antenna, and the signal is coming from the Spout Springs area, some 70 miles away, so it has to be a pretty big one, AND aimed in that direction.

If you are aimed at the Tri-Cities from Walla Walla, you may need a rotator, or two separate antennas. You could have a UHF pointed at the Tri-Cities, and a VHF pointed at Spout Springs, that would get you all of the channels.

Jim
post #1586 of 1604 Old 07-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Way to go KNDU. Looks like their syndicated shows, like Ellen, are now in HD. Surely, other local stations will follow soon.
post #1587 of 1604 Old 07-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post
Anyone notice that KNDU's local news (Kennewick, WA) is now transmitting in HD? I "think" that it's not really HD and that they're simply transmitting a wide-screen SD signal.
This may be because most KNDO/KNDU programming is now originating out of KHQ's HD studios in Spokane. It's being fed down to Yakima and the Tri-Cities via a fiber loop provided by Charter.

Not sure how they're handling the local news. If it's being sent to Spokane and then fed back for transmission, KHQ may be doing some upconversion.

More info at TVNewsCheck.com (search for KNDO; it's the story on Cowles Centralcasting - I haven't posted enough for URL privileges)

- Mark
post #1588 of 1604 Old 07-17-2011, 11:30 PM

KNDO-HD has been since around Thursday broadcasting local news in widescreen. Doesn't quite look like true HD yet, but it is much better than the KIMA-HD CBS affiliate who does the news "widescreen" by just adding sidebars.

Also noticed KNDO-HD does now air local commercials in widescreen even during times they are not showing a widescreen show which is nice. And HD syndicated shows such as Ellen, Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune are now broadcast in what appears to be a widescreen HD format.

So once again KNDO appears to be the way ahead of the competition after a few years of disappointing us with no syndicated HD programming. KIMA is still a joke with their lies about the Yakima news industry. And KAPP ABC still seems to have little going for it these days other than the fact they were the first to actually air syndicated shows in HD around a few years ago.

-YakHDTV06
post #1589 of 1604 Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM

FYI from KNDU's Facebook page:
KNDU-TV
Update on the server: our main program feeds are delivered by fiber and that fiber was cut in Pasco at 2:30pm. We are on an internet delivered standard definition backup feed until the fiber is repaired. According to our providers it should be repaired between 7pm and 8pm. We apologize for the inconvenience.
post #1590 of 1604 Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM

Is anyone in Tri-Cities receiving 31.1 PBS over the air right now? The signal has been dead at my house here in Pasco since Friday.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page