AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Yakima, WA - HDTV (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/463773-yakima-wa-hdtv.html)

CPanther95 10-29-2004 10:00 AM

This is the official discussion thread for the Yakima, WA DMA.

There are currently no Yakima affiliates broadcasting an HD signal.

donshan 02-02-2005 09:53 AM

This market is divided into two population centers each with different station transmitters and call signs, affiliated with the same company sometimes:
I will report on the Tri-Cities -Pasco, WA; Richland, WA; Kennewick, WA part of the Market.
PBS - KTNW-DT on the air HDTV, with channel 31.1 PBS-HD feed-stunning PQ, -channel 31.2 SDTV PBS
NBC- KNDU-DT on the air with SD only, but plans for HDTV in 2005 maybe. 25.1 NBC, 25.2 Local news loop, 25.3 weather
FOX- KFFX-DT on the air , SDTV channel 11.1(on VHF channel 8 from 66 miles) reports 2-3 yr wait for HDTV
ABC- KVEW-DT on the air, SDTV channel 42.1-HD status unknown to me
CBS- KEPR-DT on the air, SDTV channel 19.1( actually on ch 18) with very low power and possible adjacent channel interference from their high power analog channel 19. Seem to have no interest in the CBS HD programming

Local Charter Cable just added HDTV tier, so maybe more HDTV progress on broadcast channels will be coming I hope!

Jim Golden 02-07-2005 06:49 PM

donshan:

I'm achieving similar results in this area; however, I do live next to the mountain.

PBS looks great. Some of the programming is high definition. The other channels, FOX, CBS, ABC, and NBC are all standard definition and are of watchable quality at best. I'd give PBS an "A," NBC a B and ABC a C. FOX and CBS both earn an F.

Jim

drwtsn32 02-10-2005 11:13 PM

How are you guys picking up these stations? With an OTA? (If so, which model antenna?)

I am in Kennewick and am using Charter HD cable. Pretty happy with the channels they provide, but I sure wish the locals would be in HD.

Jim Golden 02-11-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

How are you guys picking up these stations? With an OTA? (If so, which model antenna?)

Yes. I'm using CM4228. The channel 31 (PBS) is a must see! I think it looks as good as Discovery HD. The other channels are not HD, but digital. The FOX, CBS, and sometimes ABC are not of a very high quality.

Jim

dispatcher_21 02-11-2005 04:30 PM

I emailed KVEW and they said that they hope to have HD going later this year. Same thing with KNDU. Like donshan said, KEPR has no interest in showing HD but if you go to KIRO's webpage (the westside state CBS channel) they said that they signed an agreement with Charter on the eastside of the state to allow them to carry the digital KIRO channel and the HD channel, which is CBS. All I know is I hope KVEW gets it going before the Super Bowl next year and that Charter adds UniversalHD.

drwtsn32 02-12-2005 07:20 AM

I emailed the local stations, too. I got an interesting response from KNDU. It says (in part):

Quote:

Currently, cable companies (which have a 48% distribution in our area) and
satellite companies (27% of the market) do not have the capability to pass
on digital or HDTV signals from local stations. Until that changes, neither
digital nor HDTV are real viable economic options for local stations.

Huh? Cable companies do not have the capability? I realize that satellite service will probably NEVER carry HD locals for our area due to limited bandwidth, but I don't see why Charter wouldn't.

dispatcher_21 02-12-2005 10:09 PM

What??? I would reply to that email and tell them that they are full of CRAP and point out the fact that Charter is doing HD NOW!!! I spoke to Charter and they said they are ready to go, they just need the channels to start HD. Man, that really pisses me off, I'm going to write KVEW and KNDU again.

Jim Golden 02-13-2005 05:01 AM

If they would all provide HD quality channels, I wouldn't need cable or satellite.

Jim

drwtsn32 02-13-2005 01:54 PM

dispatcher, yeah, I think he's full of it too. I've talked to Charter and they said the same thing...they are just waiting for locals to go HD. In the meantime I really wish Charter would rebroadcast all of the channels below 100 in digital form. Watching analog channels below 100 on a DTV is sometimes painful.

drwtsn32 02-13-2005 01:55 PM

Jim, I would still want cable for all of the premium channels. I watch more than just locals.

mike41423 02-19-2005 08:05 PM

i am in Richland on Charter HD as well. It is amazing to me that we cannot get a fox affiliate in HD. we are basically up the creek without a paddle until they get thier act in gear. before the SB, i contacted KFFX 66 about OTA HD and as stated above are shooting for sometime in 2006. I really hope that we will be able to get local HD channels on charter sometime soon. ANY locals in HD on charter would be welcome so far as i am concered.

those of you on charter, how do you like this moxi box? im waiting for someone to crack this box so that we can copy recorded content off to a computer.....its software driven, only a matter of time before someone is able to copy recorded content. having a live ethernet connection and 4 disabled USB ports really bothers me.

mike

Jim Golden 02-19-2005 08:34 PM

Quote:

I really hope that we will be able to get local HD channels on charter sometime soon. ANY locals in HD on charter would be welcome so far as i am concered.

I'm surprised they haven't made our local PBS-HD station available via Charter Cable. Not that there's allot of programs I watch on the local PBS station, but still it would be one more HD channel they could offer.

Jim

mike41423 02-20-2005 09:19 PM

As I switch between watching the NBA All-Star highlights on ESPNHD and the horrible ABC feed we get through this moxi box, I cannot wait to get local HD channels. heck, bring on PBS!

For the record, i watched the NBA All star game on my Coaxial input because that input on any channel below 99 looks 1000x better than the input through the moxi box. Watching anything through the moxi box on channels 2-99 is like watching cable years ago, only this through a Component input!! uggghhh

drwtsn32 02-21-2005 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Golden
I'm surprised they haven't made our local PBS-HD station available via Charter Cable.

Agreed. I also do not understand why they don't have digital versions of ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc. Those stations ARE broadcasting in digital (but not HD).

Jim Golden 02-21-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

I also do not understand why they don't have digital versions of ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc.

In my opinion, the digital stations aren't any better than the locals package you can purchase through DirecTV. Not being a Charter subscriber I can't speak to whether or not the digital locals would or would not be an improvement over the current analog signals offered by Charter.

However, the PBS HD signal I'm receiving via my antenna looks great!

Jim

drwtsn32 02-21-2005 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Golden
In my opinion, the digital stations aren't any better than the locals package you can purchase through DirecTV.

I'm sure that's right. But the only problem with Charter right now is that the analog stations are not rebroadcast in digital for digital customers. Analog quality is not nearly as good as digital cable channels (which looks as good as DirecTV, IMO).

dispatcher_21 02-23-2005 03:16 AM

The other channel I would like to see Charter add is UniversalHD, used to be called BravoHD. This channel is has an awesome lineup. Sports, concerts, movies, Law and Order, and other NBC, USA shows in pure 1080i HD. And in the future, they are supposed to add HD shows from the SciFi channel like Battlestar Galaticca and Stargate SG1 and stuff. I have emailed Charter but have not gotten a response back. Please do me a favor and email them that you would like this channel added, thanks.

drwtsn32 02-23-2005 07:35 AM

Sounds good dispatcher... I'll email them

drwtsn32 02-23-2005 08:31 PM

I got an email back very quickly regarding UniversalHD. This is what they said:

"We always appreciate feedback from our customers on what they enjoy watching. At this time, we do not have plans for adding UniversalHD to the lineup. We have forwarded your request on to our Programming Manager and the General Manager in your area. The next time the channel line up is changed, your request will be taken under consideration. If you have any other questions, please contact us again or call our toll free number listed below."

dispatcher_21 03-03-2005 11:17 PM

On the Charter webpage, under Company info, it states that Charter just signed for TNT-HD. Listed on this press release is an email address for some guy at Charter HQ so I emailed him and asked him when we could expect this channel in the Walla Walla area and he said he would get back to me on Monday. I also asked him about UniveralHD, The Movie ChannelHD, ESPN2HD, INHD1 and INHD2, CSTVHD and HD PPV. Hopefuly, he will have some good news, I will post back when he sends his answer.

Jim Golden 03-04-2005 04:50 AM

I called KNDU and asked "when they plan to broadcast in HD?" I was forwarded to an Engineer who seemed quite knowledgable on the subject. He said their goal is to be broadcasting in HD by this fall, just in time for the winter Olympics.

I asked him if they would eliminate any of the three digital channels they're broadcasting when they start broadcasting in HD? He indicated they have plenty of "space" to broadcast the HD signal in addition to the digital channels they currently offer.

Jim

drwtsn32 03-04-2005 05:29 AM

Good info dispatcher and Jim!

dispatcher, let us know what Charter says.. I'm an eager for more HD channels! BTW, have you noticed that ESPNHD usually blows? It looks like SD most of the time.

jbarber 03-07-2005 11:45 PM

Interesting thread. I live 20 miles or so West of Yakima on the side of a large hill and am able to receive all the locals well with the exception of Fox.

I'lll agree that with the notable exception of the PBS HD feed, local digital is a real disappointment. The NBC main feed seems to be the least offensive, while the others are much better in analog. (We also have Dish. Mileage varies with their HD channels as well, but at least they're HD!)

We recently bought a 720p projector and 119" screen for the living room, and it's a real mess to watch the locals in there. I added a DVDO scaler and tuned everything to a fare-thee-well, but it's still NOT satisfactory. We put a 50" Samsung DLP in the bedroom that doesn't look -as- bad with the smaller screen, but it's still far from good with the locals. (SIRT165 tuner) What DOES work well, though, is using the scaler with a good DVD. It ain't HD, but it does keep me from nipping off and shooting myself.. :-)

--jim

dispatcher_21 03-11-2005 07:12 PM

Well, the Charter dude got back to me, he says that TNT-HD will start in Walla Walla area on April 5th and that they have a carraige agreement with UniversalHD but they dont have any dates yet as to when it will start to broadcast in areas. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. Having TNT-HD now with E*, I can say that it is a pretty good channel. Basketball in HD, Nascar in HD, most movies in HD and more and more of the drama shows in Hd.

dispatcher_21 04-06-2005 06:36 PM

Well, I emailed all the local station the other day, I email them about every two months and they got back to me today. Here are their responses.

1)KNDU-Will have HD in late December or early January, they want it up for the winter olympics.

2)KVEW-I asked them if they would be ready for Monday Night football and they said no and didnt elaborate anymore.

3)KEPR-Have no plans for it but they are looking into it.

4)KFFX-Two years away

5)KTNW-As stated above, they do HD now, they state that Charter has shown no interest in picking it up and said to bug Charter to death to motivate them.

drwtsn32 04-07-2005 10:11 PM

I just noticed that TNT-HD has been added here in Kennewick. Looks like a good channel!

mike41423 04-08-2005 03:20 PM

Yup, TNTHD looks great. the PQ on the two NBA games last night (thursday) were awesome! The level on the announcers was way down, but the picture was great. Cant wait till the 2nd half of nascar so i can watch a race or two in HD!

Also, for those with the Moxi box. Charter says Digeo (the company who makes the moxi box) is going to push out new software in the next couple of weeks. This software will enable the Ethernet port and add the ability for the box to automatically switch between 1080i, 720p, and 480p. Supposedly this update will also fix the issue with the analog channels looking like absolute garbage. hooraaay for that! you can checkout http://www.moxi.com/assets/manuals/m...guide_v3.2.pdf
this is the users manual for the new version of software that should be pushed in a couple weeks.

The guy I talked to today regarding the Moxi box sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He also said you can d/l recorded content right now using the USB connections? Anyone tried this? I didnt even bother trying it yet, but i will give it a shot tonight.

Mike

drwtsn32 04-08-2005 04:14 PM

Good info, Mike! Do you know what the ethernet port will allow us to do with Moxi?

mike41423 04-09-2005 10:36 PM

All the guides talk about is the ability to access content on your PC. E.g playing MP3's from your computers HD through the moxi box. I'm holding out hope we will be able to copy recorded content to a desktop.....