Columbus, MS - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Columbus, MS - HDTV
mcrutland's Avatar mcrutland 11:24 PM 01-18-2006
If you will be in Columbus, you will most be able to see the Super Bowl in HD via WCFT from Tuscaloosa.

cpemberton's Avatar cpemberton 10:22 AM 01-27-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno View Post

CPEMBERTON,

You should be able to get Memphis channels with a good uhf antenna without any problem. I recommend Channel master 4221(4-bay) or 4228 (8-bay) antennas. You could probably get by with the 4221 (approx 30.00) but the 4228 would be more reliable, especially in the daytime. Sorry, I don't know any installers in your area, maybe call your local radio shack or lowes. They should know someone who would do the install for you.

Deno

Thank you for your reply. Do I need any kind of preamp or rotor like I am reading here? I found an installer who is supposed to come over and look at my house and location to tell me whether he can do the job. Can this be installed in the attic or is it best to do it outside?
deno's Avatar deno 12:37 PM 01-30-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpemberton View Post

Thank you for your reply. Do I need any kind of preamp or rotor like I am reading here? I found an installer who is supposed to come over and look at my house and location to tell me whether he can do the job. Can this be installed in the attic or is it best to do it outside?

I would first try it without a preamp and go outside if possible. I believe you are going to be a little far away from the Memphis towers to get reliable performance from an attic install. All of the Memphis stations are now broadcasting pretty powerful signals,so outside, high as possible , with a good UHF antenna should do the job. If you get frequent dropouts you can always go back and add a good preamp to try and solve the problem. As far as the rotor is concerned, all of the Memphis towers are within about 3 degrees of each other, so you should be fine without a rotor if Memphis is all you are after.

Deno
Ramdy's Avatar Ramdy 06:03 AM 02-01-2006
Just to let anyone who lives in North Central MS know that WABG-TV, the ABC affilliate in Greenwood, MS, is now passing all of ABC's HD programming in HD as well as DD 5.1 audio. The native RF channel is 32, and should show up as 6-1. Don't know if they are broadcasting at full strength or not, but I live just south of Batesville, and get a strong signal 24/7. I recently did a rescan on my Directv TIVO and it just showed up. This means that I can watch the Super Bowl in HD. Don't know if any readers of this forum live far enough west to receive this, but just thought I would pass the info.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 02:33 PM 02-01-2006
thanks, i am out of range but good to know anyways.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 03:44 PM 02-07-2006
some clarification please, according to google maps, i am 38 road miles from mc condy(wcbi tower) and 29 road miles from woodland(wtva,wkdh,wlov). i am assuming that wcbi is full power, and the others arent. this being the reason i cant get wlov digital? i am almost exactly half way between maben and west point. i can get wcbi with a rabbit ears powered or otherwise and nothing but analog wtva or wlov via the same ears. guidance? help? i feel dumb that i cant get my head around it. i know there is a difference with vhf and uhf. are wlov and wtva that badly underpowered?
clmartin22's Avatar clmartin22 07:17 AM 02-08-2006
I live outside of Fulton and get WCBI at 89%, recently I have been receiving WLOV again but only at 67%. There no way they can be at full power. I am going to try to email the engineer at wlov, wkdh, and wtva and see what is going on. I can't believe they still don't have abc up and going.
deno's Avatar deno 12:50 PM 02-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

some clarification please, according to google maps, i am 38 road miles from mc condy(wcbi tower) and 29 road miles from woodland(wtva,wkdh,wlov). i am assuming that wcbi is full power, and the others arent. this being the reason i cant get wlov digital? i am almost exactly half way between maben and west point. i can get wcbi with a rabbit ears powered or otherwise and nothing but analog wtva or wlov via the same ears. guidance? help? i feel dumb that i cant get my head around it. i know there is a difference with vhf and uhf. are wlov and wtva that badly underpowered?

WTVA is not broacasting a digital signal at all. WLOV is digital but at very low power. I think WLOV signal is also directional and is aimed more to the north to try and get coverage into Tupelo. This would explain why people like myself(Pontotoc) and others in the Tupelo and Fulton areas are able to receive their signal even though we are furthur away from the broadcast tower than you are.

The last time I talked to WLOV engineering they told me that they would be full power by December. I guess I should of asked what year??? I think we should all start calling and let them know that we want ABC,NBC,and FOX HD now. It really sucked trying to watch the superbowl on ABC out of Memphis. I would get about 5 minutes of reception followed by a 5 minute dropout all throughout the game. All because our local provider won't get off their rears and get our local digitals up.(whew, rant over)

Deno
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:21 PM 02-08-2006
thanks deno, that helps out. this maybe of interest to some folks, cellular south has just opened up a 3G broadband wireless service in oktibbeha county. they get speeds of 700kpbs and bursts of 2MB with their kyocera passport pci cards. i thinking of signing up to ditch dial-up. it is 60 bucks a month though.
skessler's Avatar skessler 06:18 AM 02-14-2006
Hi all, I recently moved to Tupelo from Huntsville, AL (Where the HD was plentiful and good)

Here in Tupelo, things are much different....

I've tried 3 seperate indoor antennas (mainly from walmart) with no luck of getting WCBI. I've spoke with their engineer and he states I am well within reach of picking it up. I can get WCBI SD on rabbit ears, but no luck with HD. I live in an apartment complex not to far from the airport, so putting up a massive outdoor antenna is pretty much a non-option.

Does anyone have any idea what type of Indoor Antenna has the ability to pick this station up? I miss my HD
pmjohnson's Avatar pmjohnson 12:15 PM 02-14-2006
Just found this site. It is good to know that there are some other people like me who are desperately wanting Network HD. I have direct and have the Hd package. Watch that most all the time. I do have an old antenna up an am getting CBS channel 4.1 most of the time. I notice a couple of threads from Fulton. That's where I live. I tried to get waivers from the tupelo nets , but they would not issue them. It really makes me mad that they will not let the people get HD nets , yet they are not changing over anytime soon. I actually went to the station and tried to talk to someone. I didn't get high enough up the change to really talk with someone who had the power to grant the waiver.
Paul Johnson
pmjohnson's Avatar pmjohnson 12:22 PM 02-14-2006
Just wanted to ask are you getting wlov over an antenna . I live in fulton can get WCBI over antenna but no wlov. I am using an old antenna at about roof level. I am wondering if I bought a new antenna and put it a little higher could I get wlov.
pmjohnson's Avatar pmjohnson 12:24 PM 02-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by skessler View Post

Hi all, I recently moved to Tupelo from Huntsville, AL (Where the HD was plentiful and good)

I've tried 3 seperate indoor antennas (mainly from walmart) with no luck of getting WCBI. I've spoke with their engineer and he states I am well within reach of picking it up. I can get WCBI SD on rabbit ears, but no luck with HD. I live in an apartment complex not to far from the airport, so putting up a massive outdoor antenna is pretty much a non-option.

Does anyone have any idea what type of Indoor Antenna has the ability to pick this station up? I miss my HD

I don't think and indoor will get in digital signal. WCBI is the only one and can pick up and I have an outdoor antenna. I is fairly large but not to high up.
The stations there in Tupelo are not interested Hd are helping anybody who is.
deno's Avatar deno 12:31 PM 02-14-2006
Quote:

WCBI shouldn't be a problem from Tupelo. As far as indoor antenna's, the silver sensor(sp?) seems to get good reviews.Check out this thread for some good info.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=381623

Deno
deno's Avatar deno 12:40 PM 02-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjohnson View Post

Just wanted to ask are you getting wlov over an antenna . I live in fulton can get WCBI over antenna but no wlov. I am using an old antenna at about roof level. I am wondering if I bought a new antenna and put it a little higher could I get wlov.

I have an antennas direct DB8 which is supposed to be one of the best UHF antennas made mounted about 25-30 ft from the ground and from here in Pontotoc I receive a marginal signal(sometimes watchable, sometimes not) on WLOV. Unless things have changed recently, you're not missing anything because last time I checked they weren't passing thru any HD, just some stretched 480p signal that looked horrible.

Deno
skessler's Avatar skessler 03:36 PM 02-14-2006
Well GREAT news....

After 3 weeks and 3 different indoor antennas....I read some reviews on TERK TV 5 TV antenna. And I stopped by Circuit City and picked one up, hooked it up, scanned for it on my TV and I get WCBI-DT 4.1 ....FINALLY...

Not passing any HD at the moment, but can't wait for Letterman!
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 04:24 PM 02-14-2006
Quote:

Well GREAT news....

After 3 weeks and 3 different indoor antennas....I read some reviews on TERK TV 5 TV antenna. And I stopped by Circuit City and picked one up, hooked it up, scanned for it on my TV and I get WCBI-DT 4.1 ....FINALLY...

Not passing any HD at the moment, but can't wait for Letterman!

great, now go see WTVA and slap them for not being in digital. hell, give the monkey at the HD switch a banana to flip it on.

welcome to Mississippi HD, compadre.
skessler's Avatar skessler 02:24 PM 03-05-2006
Can someone tell me why WCBI doesn't broadcast their NCAA basketball games in HD on 4.1, when HD is available?
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 08:09 PM 03-05-2006
the jefferson pilot stuff is never in HD, sometimes the CBS games are.
ut_bill's Avatar ut_bill 08:31 AM 03-30-2006
WLOV was broadcasting in HD last night, American Idol never looked or sounded so good. Let's hope that they keep the HD broadcast going.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 01:44 PM 03-30-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_bill View Post

WLOV was broadcasting in HD last night, American Idol never looked or sounded so good. Let's hope that they keep the HD broadcast going.

thanks for the heads up I check back on the tryouts and got nada though.
dundeeyank's Avatar dundeeyank 04:35 PM 04-14-2006
I live near Caledonia just north of Columbus. I get WCBI with an old channel master in the attic. Good signal all the time. I'll have to scan for LOV again to see if they have increased power. As for HD via Dish. I have the full up package with two dishes (super dish and Voom) I spend a lot of time watching movies and TNT on HD there.
mcrutland's Avatar mcrutland 06:19 PM 04-18-2006
I have a Samsung TS360 with an outdoor amplified antenna and rotor. I am able to get a 65% dbu reading from WLOV-DT, but I am unable to get a picture. The receiver gives the message that it is "Searching for Signal."

Is this merely an issue with WLOV or an issue with the TS360? I have neighbors who can view WLOV-DT. I have also heard that the TS360 has some problems decoding some HD signals.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?????????
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 06:58 PM 04-18-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrutland View Post

I have a Samsung TS360 with an outdoor amplified antenna and rotor. I am able to get a 65% dbu reading from WLOV-DT, but I am unable to get a picture. The receiver gives the message that it is "Searching for Signal."

Is this merely an issue with WLOV or an issue with the TS360? I have neighbors who can view WLOV-DT. I have also heard that the TS360 has some problems decoding some HD signals.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?????????

seems to me I read that WLOV is aiming their signal north to Tupelo area, it may be a very directional signal.
mcrutland's Avatar mcrutland 09:16 AM 04-19-2006
I live 10 miles outside of Tupelo. I am beginning to think that my Samsung receiver is the problem.
ut_bill's Avatar ut_bill 09:59 AM 04-19-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

seems to me I read that WLOV is aiming their signal north to Tupelo area, it may be a very directional signal.

It is directional, here's a link to the WLOV signal map, http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT561814.html, compare it to the WCBI signal map, http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...x=TV87738.html.

You can look a lot of this stuff up on the FCC's website.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 02:27 PM 04-19-2006
cool link, but I get nothing at least when Idol is on.
deno's Avatar deno 03:24 PM 04-19-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrutland View Post

I live 10 miles outside of Tupelo. I am beginning to think that my Samsung receiver is the problem.

I think you are probably right. Different receivers have different "thresholds" to where they will decode a digital signal. I am not familiar with the sesitivity of the samsung 360,however, I have a Hughes HTL, a Hughes Directv HD Tivo, and a directv H20, and the H20 will pull in stations that barely register on the other receivers. Also, on most receivers the meter measures signal quality instead of signal strength. For me to pick up WLOV here in Pontotoc, I had to actually lower my outside antenna to just above the roofline to find the sweet spot. You might want to experiment with different heights on your antenna to see what happens. Five feet up or down makes a trmendous difference on WLOV for me.

Deno
dsnow0819's Avatar dsnow0819 10:21 PM 04-21-2006
I have vista3 HD in Oxford, but it doesn't have fox (wlov?) in hd. Can I pick up wlov or a memphis fox channel in hd with an antenna or should I just burn vista3 down for not having fox in high def.?

Any thoughts....
deno's Avatar deno 11:17 AM 04-22-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnow0819 View Post

I have vista3 HD in Oxford, but it doesn't have fox (wlov?) in hd. Can I pick up wlov or a memphis fox channel in hd with an antenna or should I just burn vista3 down for not having fox in high def.?

Any thoughts....

WLOV would be next to impossible from Oxford I would think, at least until they increase power. However, WHBQ in Memphis is now full power and I get fairly reliable nightime reception from here in Pontotoc. With a good outside antenna setup, WHBQ should not be a problem for you. Does your cable box decode OTA digital signals? If not you would have to have some type of STB to receive OTA HD, unless your TV has a built in decoder. WHBQ is digital channel #53 I think. You might also want to check out the Memphis thread for more info. Good luck and let us know how it works out...

Deno
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop