Columbia, MO - HDTV - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1167 Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool. If Fox 22 could get rid of that strange crosshatch pattern that happens during video transitions, it would be great. The picture quality difference between Fox 22 and Fox 27 in Springfield is huge. Springfield looks much more crisp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1167 Old 07-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmo2020 View Post

Cool. If Fox 22 could get rid of that strange crosshatch pattern that happens during video transitions, it would be great. The picture quality difference between Fox 22 and Fox 27 in Springfield is huge. Springfield looks much more crisp.

scottmo2020: Are you talking about network content or syndicated content being more crisp? I would think that both FOX stations would be broadcasting at 720p and that network content should look identical. Thoughts?
post #1143 of 1167 Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejones81 View Post

scottmo2020: Are you talking about network content or syndicated content being more crisp? I would think that both FOX stations would be broadcasting at 720p and that network content should look identical. Thoughts?

The network content is more crisp than syndicated, which is to be expected. However, on both types of content on Fox22 there are very subtle flashes of this strange pattern. Honestly it has been a month or so since I have checked, so perhaps it is fixed. Even though my tuner shows 720p for both Columbia and Springfield, the Springfield affiliate always looks richer to me.
post #1144 of 1167 Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM

I just wish that they would upgrade KQFX FOX 22's power. They should put it at least close to KMIZ's.

The Fox network is watched more than ABC anyways, and if they had it full power, they could put a sub-channel on 22. For example, they could have KZOU on channel 22.2 (and even remap it with PSIP to 17.3 if the wanted) so they could have better picture quality on 17.1. They could even try KZOU as HD, although that would ruin Fox's picture quality a bit. I wouldn't complain though.

Stand Up Against the Spectrum Grab!
Save Free Antenna TV: Facebook Page
post #1145 of 1167 Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionosphere View Post

I just wish that they would upgrade KQFX FOX 22's power. They should put it at least close to KMIZ's.

The Fox network is watched more than ABC anyways, and if they had it full power, they could put a sub-channel on 22. For example, they could have KZOU on channel 22.2 (and even remap it with PSIP to 17.3 if the wanted) so they could have better picture quality on 17.1. They could even try KZOU as HD, although that would ruin Fox's picture quality a bit. I wouldn't complain though.

They don't really need more power to add sub channels. Regardless of transmit power, stations have the same amount of bandwidth to use as they see fit. Higher transmit power would help in the fringe areas like Lake of the ozarks, and fill in gaps such as low lying areas, etc. Back in 2009, they were planning on moving KZOU to 22 but I guess that never happened. At least they don't do like KSPR in Springfield and run two HD channels in the same bandwidth. Both of those channels look like absolute garbage.
post #1146 of 1167 Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Liked: 11
METV or Antenna TV or My Family Net or Estrella TV or The Cool TV or The Country Network or so on that Columbia/Jefferson City doesn't have.
post #1147 of 1167 Old 07-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmo2020 View Post

They don't really need more power to add sub channels. Regardless of transmit power, stations have the same amount of bandwidth to use as they see fit. Higher transmit power would help in the fringe areas like Lake of the ozarks, and fill in gaps such as low lying areas, etc.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I know they could add the subchannel now at the lower power and move KZOU from 17.3 to 22.2, but I don't think they'd want to; they'd lose OTA viewers (like those at the lake) on KZOU if they moved it to the much weaker 22.

If 22 had near the same power level as 17, then they wouldn't lose viewers on KZOU if it moved to 22.2. Sorry, that's still not clear, but someone might catch my drift.

Basically, I just hope they one day increase 22's power.

After all, they're saving a lot of money by keeping KMIZ at 120kW, instead of its original plan for 1000kW (that would have been awesome). And then, Fox 22's at only 11.8 kW...

Stand Up Against the Spectrum Grab!
Save Free Antenna TV: Facebook Page
post #1148 of 1167 Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionosphere View Post

After all, they're saving a lot of money by keeping KMIZ at 120kW, instead of its original plan for 1000kW (that would have been awesome). And then, Fox 22's at only 11.8 kW...

Ah, now I'm getting it! I'm at the Lake, and KMIZ comes in great, around 85% on average. Fox 22 I get in the 50's and it breaks up too bad to watch. If I adjust my antenna just right, I can get Fox 22 in the low 70's pretty solid without many breakups. But when I do that, I'm aiming too far north east for KRCG. Out of all the channels, KRCG is the worst by far, being on VHF and barely running any power. I don't know how well KRCG works for people in Columbia/Jeff, but it is obvious they don't care at all about their OTA people and are all about saving the boat load of money they do by running an underpowered VHF.

I have really given up on the Columbia stations and have gone over to Springfield. KOMU disappeared completely for me when they went back to VHF 8. KOLR 10 is on VHF but they at least tried to increase power. Now KSFX 27 is losing Fox and it is moving to KRBK 49, which I am only a few miles from and can't get OTA! Hopefully they get to full power before September.
post #1149 of 1167 Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM

what happened to mediacom's foxhd qam?
post #1150 of 1167 Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Is it just my setup or is KOMU's OTA signal quality horrible? Very blocky and pixelated, not clean at all with movement such as the Olympics.
post #1151 of 1167 Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 AM

I live in Columbia about 1.4m from KMIZ...and I cannot recieve a lick of channel 13 (KRCG)
post #1152 of 1167 Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It would be nice if you gave some details about what antenna you're using and other such stuff.

KMIZ and KQFX share a tower a bit west of Jamestown. KRCG's tower is on US 54 near New Bloomfield. Since KRCG operates on a VHF channel (12), a VHF antenna would be the proper tool to receive it.
post #1153 of 1167 Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Anyone have tips for receiving Fox 22 in Columbia? I've got a Viper indoor antenna which was picking up bits and pieces during the Rams game yesterday. I moved my whole setup (with a little TV monitor) into the attic this morning to see if that would improve the reception, and I'm getting almost nothing. We are renting the house, so installing a roof antenna has some challenges. Anyone know of an indoor or attic antenna that works well?

I just wanna watch football....
post #1154 of 1167 Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

As I just noted yesterday, KQFX transmits from a tower near Jamestown. At only 15 kW ERP, indoor antennas will be challenging in Columbia unless you happen to be in a very favorable location.

Select an antenna that would be normally suggested for "long-range" UHF reception. Not much you can buy in this category in a local retail store except perhaps the Antennas Direct C2 or C4 which should be available at Best Buy stores. If you had time to order and can tolerate the physical size, a 4-Bay UHF antenna would give the best odds.

Afraid I've never heard of a "Viper" antenna. Try placing it in a window that faces southwest.
post #1155 of 1167 Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17

About to move to Columbia. From a location on the southwest edge of town, I've tried indoor reception using a couple antennas (rabbit ears with VHF poles, and the Leaf flat-panel indoor antenna).  I can get KQFX at over 90% with the Leaf (but not on the the rabbit ears with UHF loop) but the VHF signal of KRCG is elusive and I have yet to lock in that signal.  Naturally, on the Leaf, since it's optimized for UHF, KRCG is showing up at only about 10%. But even the VHF rabbit ears aren't pulling more than 30%.  I will probably be living north of I-70 which will be farther from both KQFX and KRCG. I should still be able to get KQFX, so not highly worried about that, but CBS is the broadcast network I watch most so really want to get KRCG and am not paying for cable/satellite. Short of an attic mounted yagi antenna, are there any VHF indoor antennas that others in Columbia have used for reliable KRCG reception?

No issues receiving (nor am I anticipating any issues receiving) KMOS or KMIZ, though with KOMU also on VHF I'm wondering how it will come in north of 70. The Leaf pulls it in at about 70% in SW Columbia. Can also get KNLJ fine but no plans to watch that station.

post #1156 of 1167 Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

In Columbia, you usually need a UHF antenna pointed southwest and a separate high-VHF antenna pointed southeast, usually at a right angle each other. That usually means you need to "roll your own" by selecting separate antennas of each type and combining them with a UVSJ. When my nephew was at Mizzou (just graduated), he was working at Best Buy in the HT department. He had picked up a C2 antenna there for his off-campus apartment and was able to do well with the UHF stations but couldn't do much with channel 13 out of Jeff City. He said he called Antennas Direct and someone there showed him how to use the VHF add-on kit for the C2 to make what he called a "Columbia Special". Nephew said it worked great.
post #1157 of 1167 Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Great - thank you! I'll give that a try. So an Antennas Direct C2 + one of these? http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream2-VHF-Reflector-Assembly.html

post #1158 of 1167 Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. He had to disassemble it, do some cutting and drilling, then he had the dipole mounted to the screen above the top of the antenna. He was working on it when I was visiting over the holidays that year. He said it looked a bit weird and you had to be sure not to walk into the ends of the dipoles, but it worked for his location near the campus. I suppose, if you wish, you could leave the dipole separate and, with a longer coax, put the dipole somewhere else as needed away from the C2.
JoelWNelson likes this.
post #1159 of 1167 Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Columbia_MO_TV shows 13.2 LWN so KRCG could be adding it's first Digital Sub Channel.
post #1160 of 1167 Old 10-25-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsports View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Columbia_MO_TV shows 13.2 LWN so KRCG could be adding it's first Digital Sub Channel.

The Wikipedia page is probably wrong on this since it has been showing 13.2 for months.  According to the LWN website St. Louis has their only affiliate in Missouri.

post #1161 of 1167 Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As of about 5 weeks ago, the last time I was checking mid-Missouri reception in south-central Gasconade county, KRCG did not have any sub-channels.

You do realize that ANYONE can edit Wikipedia articles, I hope.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #1162 of 1167 Old 12-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Hello,

I moved to Columbia back in August. I live near the intersection of Nifong (actually Vawter School Road) and Scott. I seem to be in a relatively high spot. I bought this Winegard FlatWave antenna when I moved here http://www.winegard.com/get-free-tv/hdtv-antenna/flatwave/. I got everything except KRCG-CBS from the start. The antenna comes with a 15' coax, and I was able to move the antenna around until I found a spot on the wall where I got a signal in the high 20s for KRCG. It's good enough for a steady picture probably 80% of the time. I don't have any problems with the other channels.

There is one oddity about this market that I have never seen before. The PBS affiliate from Warrensburg (sp?) broadcasts in 720p. I thought that all PBS stations were 1080i?!? Also, is there a back story as to why DirecTV carries this channel in 480i? They just lop the sides of the picture off to make it fit 4:3. It's awful, and PBS is one of my favorite channels. frown.gif

Thanks,

Will
post #1163 of 1167 Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 PM

I had not noticed KMOS was 720p but yes, just checked and confirmed that. Interesting. Another oddity about KMOS is they are actually in the Kansas City market, but serve as the PBS affiliate here as Kansas City also has KCPT for PBS. It is possible that DirecTV may regard KMOS as an out of market import ("significantly viewed" rather than local) and not give them bandwidth priority. Not sure on that -- just a theory.

And on KRCG -- that's pretty impressive for the flat wave -- that type of antenna is usually not great with VHF in my experience with a few similar models. KRCG is just difficult to get in Columbia. I have a Winegard FV-HD30 and am on a high hill on the north end of town, almost line of sight to KRCG (if there's anywhere in Columbia that would be almost line of sight to the KRCG tower, I think it would be near my location). But still only about 50-55% signal strength and have to put up with some signal breakup. My wife's parents live near your location, but at the bottom of a hill, and also using a FV-HD30, they only see about 15% signal strength. Their TV doesn't have a chance of locking it in. KRCG really needs to apply to turn up the power or move to UHF -- now that they are under Sinclair ownership, I wonder if Sinclair might invest a little in the station.  Also the only newscast in the market not in HD.

post #1164 of 1167 Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 PM

LWN will be back in. KC area in the near future. Sinclair know KRCG so it could add digital sub channels. KMOS is not KC area Cable Systems but KTWU SD is. Another problem with Wiki is for Mundofox it doesn't show 62.2 yet but KSMO TV Wiki does and not even Mundofox Website shows 62.2 yet.
post #1165 of 1167 Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Most people in and very near Columbia would be best served by a two-antenna system consisting of a VHF antenna pointed towards New Bloomfield (ch 8 & 13) and a separate UHF antenna pointed southwest (everything else, ignores ch 25). The elements need to be aimed roughly 90 degrees apart, depending on one's actual location.

I modified a ClearStream 2V for my nephew when he was attending Mizzou two years ago and it worked great for his off-campus apartment. I put the VHF element on an extension above the reflector and rotated it 90 degrees.
post #1166 of 1167 Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM

KRCG is starting to run some promos for their news team in HD. They might finally be getting close to running their newscasts in high-def.

post #1167 of 1167 Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 AM

GetTV classic movies network coming to KRCG 13.2:

http://cloud.itbusinessnet.com/artic...-Louis-3340366
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page