Columbia, MO - HDTV - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1180 Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy I lost my KOMU!

Hi, folks...

I have an issue.

I live in Fulton and I am using a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with an amplifier. Using the information on AntennaWeb, I aimed the antenna precisely in the middle of the signal directions. For years now, it's worked flawlessly, getting all the channels in the area just fine, save for the occasional hiccup during storms and sometimes in icy conditions, but that is expected.

Until yesterday. All of a sudden, I have stopped receiving KOMU/CW (8.1/8.3) totally. It says I have no signal. This baffles me, because I called KOMU and they said there is nothing wrong with their broadcast signal, yet while their station is not even coming in, I am able to get the three PBS stations (6.1/6.2/6.3), the three KRCG stations (13.1/13.2/13.3), the four KMIZ stations (17.1/17.2/17.3/17.4), Fox 22 (22.1) and KNLJ (25.1).

KOMU has always been the powerhouse station, the strongest signal out there, yet boom...nothing now. So please help me: Is there any way to get it back? I wouldn't think it's the antenna, because every other station is fine. Do I press KOMU on the issue? I want that station back!

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1089082  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1180 Old 11-30-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers07 View Post
Hi, folks...

I have an issue.

I live in Fulton and I am using a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with an amplifier. Using the information on AntennaWeb, I aimed the antenna precisely in the middle of the signal directions. For years now, it's worked flawlessly, getting all the channels in the area just fine, save for the occasional hiccup during storms and sometimes in icy conditions, but that is expected.

Until yesterday. All of a sudden, I have stopped receiving KOMU/CW (8.1/8.3) totally. It says I have no signal. This baffles me, because I called KOMU and they said there is nothing wrong with their broadcast signal, yet while their station is not even coming in, I am able to get the three PBS stations (6.1/6.2/6.3), the three KRCG stations (13.1/13.2/13.3), the four KMIZ stations (17.1/17.2/17.3/17.4), Fox 22 (22.1) and KNLJ (25.1).

KOMU has always been the powerhouse station, the strongest signal out there, yet boom...nothing now. So please help me: Is there any way to get it back? I wouldn't think it's the antenna, because every other station is fine. Do I press KOMU on the issue? I want that station back!

Thank you.
Keep trying with them. I had some trouble with the KOMU signal last night too, during the first half of SNF. Couldn't tell for sure if it was an issue with KOMU or with the actual feed coming from Denver, but the signal periodically broke up then the screen went to black. It is coming in fine today though.

Just to rule anything else out, can you temporarily rotate the antenna to aim straight at KOMU and see if that causes the station to come in? KOMU does actually operate at the smallest power output of any Columbia-Jefferson City station and on the lowest frequency, which do combine to make them the most difficult digital signal to receive at much distance from the station. But since they've been the strongest for you in Fulton, that shouldn't be a factor.

I would also recommend checking all cable connections between the antenna and the TV, including at the antenna, any splice or splitter points, wall, and TV.

Are there any new devices in your home that might be interfering? Due to the low frequencies used, in our home we've found that activities such as turning a vacuum cleaner on or off, running the microwave, or even turning a fluorescent bulb on or off can temporarily interrupt being able to get KOMU and KRCG.
post #1173 of 1180 Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post
Just to rule anything else out, can you temporarily rotate the antenna to aim straight at KOMU and see if that causes the station to come in? KOMU does actually operate at the smallest power output of any Columbia-Jefferson City station and on the lowest frequency, which do combine to make them the most difficult digital signal to receive at much distance from the station. But since they've been the strongest for you in Fulton, that shouldn't be a factor.
I aimed it as close as I could, and nothing.

Quote:
I would also recommend checking all cable connections between the antenna and the TV, including at the antenna, any splice or splitter points, wall, and TV.
I did, and I got nothing.

Here's the funny part...at one point KOMU did work for a while on both TV's I have. The smaller one worked instantly, but the other TV had to be reset. It only lasted about 15-20 minutes or so, because it has gone black again.

Quote:
Are there any new devices in your home that might be interfering?
No, nothing new.

Now this you will find hard to believe, but I swear on everything good and holy that I am not lying. I affected the signal when I got too close to both TV's. I kid you not. My wife was making fun of me about it, LOL.

Quote:
Keep trying with them.
I guess I am going to have to. This makes zero sense...it has to be on their end. Not a single KOMU signal, but everything else is perfect. I am baffled.
post #1174 of 1180 Old 11-30-2015, 09:48 AM

KOMU has an application with the FCC to turn up their power. If they were already the strongest signal you had, and then they just turned up the power, the signal might actually be too strong and you're getting severe multipath. Do you have an amplifier of any sort? If so, does it work if you turn the amplifier down or off?
post #1175 of 1180 Old 11-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 57
KOMU last changed their ERP several years ago. Most likely, today's issue is due to some new electrical interference or signal ingress.

What are you using for an amplifier?

Quote:
I affected the signal when I got too close to both TV's.
That suggests signal ingress to me, perhaps due to a bad F-connector or similar.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #1176 of 1180 Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 PM

Well, I checked out everything...ran the antenna without amplifier, with and all measures in between. Nothing worked.

Then all of a sudden, everything was fine and remains so. Oddness for sure. I am glad to get my station back!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, folks!
post #1177 of 1180 Old 06-14-2016, 02:25 PM

Hi, folks...me again.

I swear I have the worst luck. After my above issues some time back, my television OTA reception was just fine. About a week ago, I lost stations...as in, only KOMU came in, with KRCG, PBS and KMIZ coming in occasionally and even then not totally clear. Now for the last two days I have had nothing. Noting but KOMU and KNLJ. That's it.

I tried waiting it out, but nothing seems to be happening. I checked how my antenna is pointed, and it's still firmly as it was, pointing toward the weaker KMIZ with KRCG and KOMU to each side as they are stronger. I then checked the signal booster, in case it went haywire. Nope, that didn't do it, either. Connections and cables are fine. I even reset my TV and ran an auto scan of channels, just in case. Nada.

I am at my wit's end. I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself again, but man this is frustrating. Any ideas?
post #1178 of 1180 Old 06-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers07 View Post
Hi, folks...me again.

I swear I have the worst luck. After my above issues some time back, my television OTA reception was just fine. About a week ago, I lost stations...as in, only KOMU came in, with KRCG, PBS and KMIZ coming in occasionally and even then not totally clear. Now for the last two days I have had nothing. Noting but KOMU and KNLJ. That's it.

I tried waiting it out, but nothing seems to be happening. I checked how my antenna is pointed, and it's still firmly as it was, pointing toward the weaker KMIZ with KRCG and KOMU to each side as they are stronger. I then checked the signal booster, in case it went haywire. Nope, that didn't do it, either. Connections and cables are fine. I even reset my TV and ran an auto scan of channels, just in case. Nada.

I am at my wit's end. I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself again, but man this is frustrating. Any ideas?
The heat and humidity are causing distant signals to cut in and interfere with the local ones. See http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html for predictions on which days will be especially bad. Here in Mid-MO most of our locals are lower power, even if not technically low-power stations like KQFX, and they're getting trampled on by more powerful distant stations on the same frequencies. On the flip side, it looks like today would be a great day to pick up Springfield stations... With a powerful antenna and perfect conditions, might even see Joplin, Fort Smith or even Tulsa.
post #1179 of 1180 Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Thanks, Joel...

It's really doing a number out there for sure...even KOMU is dying, LOL...
post #1180 of 1180 Old 06-15-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It is very, very, very unlikely that out of market signals are causing reception issues with the local stations to anyone in Fulton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page