Columbia, MO - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1167 Old 05-02-2006, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot confirm that they are being broadcast in 5.1 as I do not have a receiver hooked into my TV. I wonder if there is a way to find out on my TV whether or not it is being broadcast in 5.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1167 Old 05-03-2006, 06:43 PM

For those who are wondering about Fox in HD here is what I found out today.

Quote:
UPN in HD is a misnomer, they have no programs that originate in HD. Fox in HD is something we are working on. KQFX is a low power station, and as such has no digital allocation. There is a filing window opening to apply for a digital channel and we are filing. Once we have a digital channel, we will broadcast Fox in HD.
Steve Epstein

Chief Engineer

KMIZ/KQFX/KZOU/ShowMe Weather

post #183 of 1167 Old 05-05-2006, 04:25 AM

Moving in the right direction I suppose.
post #184 of 1167 Old 05-10-2006, 12:14 AM

Its great to see everyone interested in hdtv in columbia. I've had hdtv with OTA for about 4 months. I only can get KOMU (because I'm on the first floor probably) in this dorm. I watch all hd content from this station on my computer using the DVICO Fusion Lite(supports QAM unencrypted) + the Winegard SharpShooter 3000. I will be moving to a place that will allow me to get mediacom. I haven't looked into getting hd content through them until now. I ordered the cable tv basic for like 12.75/month. My question...Will I be able to receive hd stations through mediacom with my dvico fusion lite? If I did would it be free?also..I've read that KOMU, KMIZ, KRCG are available through mediacom. Are these the correct channels and hows the quality compared with OTA HDTV (because I've read that cable companies cut the HD quality down sometimes)?
post #185 of 1167 Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Sm0ke,
I can't say for sure, but I think that you would get KOMU, KMIZ, KRCG and possibly KMOS in HD over QAM. I get those channels through Mediacom's HD package with a cable box. My TV isn't QAM capable so I can't tell you for sure, but according mateo222's post on page 6, it looks like you will get those channels.
post #186 of 1167 Old 05-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Turns out you can plug Mizzou Telecom (from Mediacom) into the Dvico FusionHDTV lite and get the same channels discussed before. I can get ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS(KMOS) in digital. Alias is playing right now in 720p just fine. Surely if I can get these digital channels through Mizzou's tv network I can get it through mediacom in the next week.
post #187 of 1167 Old 05-11-2006, 12:14 PM

That should be correct, you will be able to receive all the locals except for FOX as they are still trying to get a license to broadcast in digital.
post #188 of 1167 Old 05-11-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo222 View Post

For those who are wondering about Fox in HD here is what I found out today.

Well good that they are trying to get FoxHD but they've been saying that for a while. I'll believe them when they tell us a date, or actually get that "filing window". I wonder why they haven't worked a deal to send a FIOS to mediacom. I don't believe mediacom is getting thier signal from an antenna and sending it out to cable consumers.

I also wonder when UPN merges with WB and becomes CW if they will be broadcast in HD. WB does have some HD shows (Smallville, Charmed, others I don't watch). So when this becomes available I bet that KMIZ/KZOU won't have a CW in HD.

Sm0ke, Have you looked into getting Dish or DirectTV? Dish has 23 channels in HD (no Columbia locals yet, but I get them all fine with an OTA). Might be something to check out.
post #189 of 1167 Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wright View Post

Well good that they are trying to get FoxHD but they've been saying that for a while. I'll believe them when they tell us a date, or actually get that "filing window". I wonder why they haven't worked a deal to send a FIOS to mediacom. I don't believe mediacom is getting thier signal from an antenna and sending it out to cable consumers.

I also wonder when UPN merges with WB and becomes CW if they will be broadcast in HD. WB does have some HD shows (Smallville, Charmed, others I don't watch). So when this becomes available I bet that KMIZ/KZOU won't have a CW in HD.

Sm0ke, Have you looked into getting Dish or DirectTV? Dish has 23 channels in HD (no Columbia locals yet, but I get them all fine with an OTA). Might be something to check out.

The CW will be offered (by the network) in 1080i HD.
post #190 of 1167 Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Well good that they are trying to get FoxHD but they've been saying that for a while. I'll believe them when they tell us a date, or actually get that "filing window". I wonder why they haven't worked a deal to send a FIOS to mediacom. I don't believe mediacom is getting thier signal from an antenna and sending it out to cable consumers....

They have filed their application as I found on titantv.com as well as the fcc's Web site. I would imagine sometime this summer it will happen, however, I do not know how long this process with the govt takes.

The engineer said that UPN/WB would not be in HD, who knows if that will change though.
post #191 of 1167 Old 06-08-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:

KOMU is going to have the CW, not KMIZ/KZOU. It'll be on 8.3. Presumably it will remain on the cable channels where KJWB exists now.
post #192 of 1167 Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 PM

As confirmation I found this on the KOMU website.

From the article:
Quote:

Mid-Missourians will be able to watch the CW on various cable outlets as well as on digital broadcast channel 8.3.

post #193 of 1167 Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 PM

Interesting...

On another note, Letterman was in HD for the first time tonight, at least the first time I noticed. I guess when they had to replace their transmitter a couple of days ago they got a better one that allowed recording in HD.
post #194 of 1167 Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaSaxT View Post

KOMU is going to have the CW, not KMIZ/KZOU. It'll be on 8.3. Presumably it will remain on the cable channels where KJWB exists now.

See I told you KMIZ/KZOU wouldn't have CW in HD. Looks like KOMU/KJWB won't be showing it in HD either.

Another note, are stations not able to broadcast in HD when they want to put up their "Storm Warning" information? I've noticed this for a few shows this spring.

Also, I was a bit upset that KMIZ did not broadcast the Trinidad vs. Sweden World Cup Game, they got this fixed for later games, but they should still be called on it.
post #195 of 1167 Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:

See I told you KMIZ/KZOU wouldn't have CW in HD. Looks like KOMU/KJWB won't be showing it in HD either.....

I noticed that part about no HD with storm warnings which I think is very silly. I'd imagine that will change in the coming years... it's something we will just have to wait for.

I didn't see that game you are talking about, however, I did see Mexico vs. Iran and it looked great. As for NBC they don't broadcast SNL or Arena Football in HD like they list on the guides... has anyone else noticed that?

EDIT: The Stanley Cup also has not been broadcast in HD.
post #196 of 1167 Old 06-12-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I didn't see that game you are talking about, however, I did see Mexico vs. Iran and it looked great. As for NBC they don't broadcast SNL or Arena Football in HD like they list on the guides... has anyone else noticed that?

I've never caught an Arena Football game in HD. I thought at least the Arena Bowl (the Championship) would have been. I've caught SNL on KOMU in HD. I last Saturday (6/10) was a re-run and there was bad weather in the area so I'm sure that's why it wasn't. I've never caught any hockey game on KOMU in HD either. This surprised me as I know OLN was showing the first 2 games of the cup in HD. This might have been do to the bad weather as well. Of course bad weather is not an excuse to not show HD.

And since we're on the issue of local HD. Does anyone know if via Mediacom you get 5.1 surround sound (only a few shows, ie, CSI have HD surround sound). This is something I miss using OTA.
post #197 of 1167 Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Game 4 was in HD last night, save for one camera which was quite obviously upconverted.

I'm guessing the software used to show those weather warnings isn't HD-compliant, thus the need to show the SD feeds when they're up.
post #198 of 1167 Old 06-13-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Game 4 was in HD last night, save for one camera which was quite obviously upconverted.

I'm guessing the software used to show those weather warnings isn't HD-compliant, thus the need to show the SD feeds when they're up.

correct, this is a common bitch.
post #199 of 1167 Old 06-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Do I understand you guys right, that if I pay Mediacom's extortion HD fee, I can get the locals (sans Fox for now) in HD thru them?
post #200 of 1167 Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnaf View Post

Do I understand you guys right, that if I pay Mediacom's extortion HD fee, I can get the locals (sans Fox for now) in HD thru them?

Without paying the HD fee you can get the local channels (PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS). Fox does not yet have HD in Columbia. However, here's the twist, in order to get a HD box which also is DVR capable, you have to subscribe to the HD service or the DVR service. If you really want the extra HD channels you can get the package (9.95) or you can subscribe to DVR (4.95). This is horrible planning if you ask me. Time Warner Houston allows you to swap out your pre-existing non-HD box for an HD box at no cost or raise in monthly fees.

So yes you will have to pay some kind of extortion fee as far as I know, that is unless you have a QAM capable TV which allows you to get unencrypted Digital Cable signals (including local HD channels) for no more than the cost of basic cable.
post #201 of 1167 Old 06-18-2006, 04:27 PM

I see KOMU now has their SD feed going on 8.3. Preparation for the CW in the fall, I suppose.

Completely unrelated:
Does anyone in Columbia have HD from DirecTV? I'm getting this service soon and was wondering if the off-air tuner in the box was any good. Right now I've got a pair of rabbit ears from my ten-year-old 15" bedroom TV plugged into my new HD set, and can get everything except KRCG's digital (I'm at Rangline and Smiley). Hoping my problem will be solved with the new box, but I am assuming an antenna upgrade is in my future.
post #202 of 1167 Old 06-18-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:

... Hoping my problem will be solved with the new box, but I am assuming an antenna upgrade is in my future.

The box may be able to pull the signal in better, however, you are more than likely going to have to get a better antenna. KRCG has their antenna all the way in Jeff City.
post #203 of 1167 Old 06-19-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Completely unrelated:
Does anyone in Columbia have HD from DirecTV? I'm getting this service soon and was wondering if the off-air tuner in the box was any good. Right now I've got a pair of rabbit ears from my ten-year-old 15" bedroom TV plugged into my new HD set, and can get everything except KRCG's digital (I'm at Rangline and Smiley). Hoping my problem will be solved with the new box, but I am assuming an antenna upgrade is in my future.

I've got DISH, and just upgraded to the new VIP622. I'm able to get KRCG OTA pretty well, never have had it dropped. Of course I also have an antenna on top of my house. Dish's new HD DVR is able to get a lot stronger signal. They've got a nice promotion going on right now for new customers too you should check out (26 HD channels).
post #204 of 1167 Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is anyone elses abc-hd out? I cant watch this game like this
post #205 of 1167 Old 06-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comojoe View Post

is anyone elses abc-hd out? I cant watch this game like this

Mine is out, I noticed around 5 today 10 and ABC HD switched over to their weather channel for some reason. SInce then no HD. Someone messed up.

Edit: Half of the game was in HD, it came back up, I don't know what happened.

I'm still confused that I saw Letterman in HD a couple of weeks back. It has not been in HD since, it was only a one night deal. The Station Manager told me that they cannot record in HD so maybe that was a night time feed that CBS provided just that night?
post #206 of 1167 Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 PM

Obviously I'm doing something wrong because I'm getting pixilization, green screen & sound dropout on most of the channels & I live north of Jefferson City near New Bloomfield.
post #207 of 1167 Old 06-26-2006, 07:30 AM

You don't say what you're using to pull the reception so it's hard to say if you're doing something wrong or have other problems like multipath or just plain poor reception.

I know that I sometimes get a slight pixilization or pause but not all the time, never had a green screen and I do once in a blue moon get sound dropout but that's kind of rare for me right now.

Post back what you have for equipment.
post #208 of 1167 Old 06-27-2006, 02:03 PM

Went to Radio Shack to grab an outdoor VHF/UHF, but they were out of that model. I went ahead and purchased the cheaper U-75R UHF only. I mounted it to the house about 10 feet up pointing south (draw a straight line north from Providence, where that intersects with Brown School Rd. is where I live). Reception is perfect on 6-1, 8-1, 13-1 (the problem channel), 17-1, and 25-1. I don't have a signal meter on my TV to give specific numbers, but I had no dropouts while watching about five minutes on each channel.
post #209 of 1167 Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 AM

The U75R is a suprisingly functional antenna. Avoid the other RS antennas if you can.
post #210 of 1167 Old 06-28-2006, 06:33 PM

I have a Directv HIRD-E86 HD receiver using a Terk-55 tube like indoor antenna. It is the antenna that has given me the best reception(better than an outdoor antenna & rabbit ears). I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page