Albany, GA - HDTV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2004, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 90
This is the Official discussion thread for the Albany, GA DMA.

The only network currently available in HD OTA is NBC (10-1) 1080i/DD2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now WFXL FOX!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
While the number of people interested in this particular thread is probably small, I thought I would post this anyway. I looked up the FINAL channel elections for some area stations after the digital transition is over, and I'll mention them now.

ALBANY, GA

WALB has elected to broadcast digitally from their current analog channel of #10, and is running full power on their digital channel of #17 in the meantime.
WFXL has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #12, and is currently running full power.
WABW is broadcasting digitally on channel #5, but will broadcast digitally on channel #6 after the analog shut-off.
WACS has elected to broadcast digitally from their future digital channel of #8 and is now broadcasting digitally.
WSST has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #51, and should be running at full power.
WSWG has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #43, and is running at full power.

COLUMBUS, GA

WRBL has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #15, and is currently operating at full-power.
WTVM has elected to broadcast digitally from their current analog channel of #9. They are currently running at full power.
WTLZ has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #35. They are currently running full power.
WXTX has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #49 and is currently running at full power.
WLGA has elected to broadcast digitally from digital channel #47. They will most likely continue running at low power in AL until WTVM-DT vacates digital channel #47 in February.

TALLAHASSEE, FL

WCTV has elected to broadcast digitally from their current digital channel of #46, and is currently operating at full-power.
WTXL has elected to broadcast digitally from their current analog channel of #27, and is broadcasting their full power for their digital channel #22 until the analog cut-off date when they will be broadcasting at much higher power on channel #27.
WTWC has elected to broadcast digitally from their current analog channel of #40.
WTLH has elected to broadcast digitally from their current analog channel of #49 and is currently operating at full-power.

UPDATED: I updated this list on July 22, 2008.

~Alan

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:34 PM

thanks for the info, I live in Adel and do not have a hd set yet although i will be getting one shortly. I have dish with tall. locals. I hope to get an antenna to recieve Tall. and Albany digital signals OTA. Getting these from 70 miles away what are my chances and what kind of antenna set up do you recommend?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sbturner
thanks for the info, I live in Adel and do not have a hd set yet although i will be getting one shortly. I have dish with tall. locals. I hope to get an antenna to recieve Tall. and Albany digital signals OTA. Getting these from 70 miles away what are my chances and what kind of antenna set up do you recommend?

WFXL-DT is broadcasting at very low power on digital channel 12, and WALB-DT (who's also broadcasting at low power, but higher than WFXL-DT) is directing their signal away from you, so the odds of picking them up at this time are rather slim. However, WALB-DT and WFXL-DT will have to offer full-power digital signals no later than July, 2006, and they will do so from the site of their current analog transmitters in Doerun, so it won't be long until you will be able to receive them. Your ability to receive WSST-DT is also in question, but since they don't offer any HD programming currently, you're not missing much. However, living in Adel, you will be able to receive WVAG-DT's signal, which is also not real impressive considering they don't currently send HD, but should they ever decide to upgrade to HD, you will be able to receive it.

Even though Adel is within the Albany, GA DMA (I assume you got Tallahassee locals through "moving"), your best bet would more than likely be with the Tallahassee locals until 2006. Tallahassee has a great thread here, and will more than likely be able to help you more with receiving the Tallahassee channels.

As far as antenna setups, I use a Channel Master 4228 UHF-only antenna hooked up to a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp on a Channel Master rotator (you'll definately want a rotator), however, that may stop you from getting WTWC-DT (which broadcasts digitally on channel 2). Quite often, I get a signal strength of anywhere between 13-27 on my signal meter for WTWC-DT, even though it's on channel 2, and I'm 70+ miles away from it, so it might work out fine for you.

Good luck!

~Alan

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:33 PM

thanks. so you are saying that I might get WTWC with a UHF antenna even if they broadcast VHF?
Old 04-23-2005, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Alan, I saw you mention on the Tallahassee thread that WALB is multicasting, in addition to their HD programming. What is on the multicasts?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sbturner
thanks. so you are saying that I might get WTWC with a UHF antenna even if they broadcast VHF?

Sorry that it took me so long to reply, I must have missed your post.

Yes, it is possible that you might get WTWC with a UHF antenna, as I can get a 10-27 signal range on WTWC at all times. In fact, of the Tallahassee stations, WTWC-DT is the only digital channel that I can get a signal on 24 hours a day. However, while I have only managed to pick up WTWC-DT on a few occasions, you're closer to the digital antenna site than I am, so odds are that you will have a much better chance of picking it up with a UHF only antenna than I would, though I recommend asking more questions on the Tallahassee, FL - HDTV thread, as odds are more people will be able to answer your questions regarding WTWC-DT and UHF antennas.

~Alan

Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Neil Griffin
Alan, I saw you mention on the Tallahassee thread that WALB is multicasting, in addition to their HD programming. What is on the multicasts?

Currently, WALB-DT is broadcasting three channels digitally. One of them being their HD channel (though "HD-Lite" would be more appropriate), the second being a digital version of their SD signal, and the third being a 24 hour a day "Super Doppler 10" weather radar channel.

I've been very disappointed in NBC's HD quality, and ever since I've had the opportunity to see a non-multicasted NBC HD affiliate in Florida recently, I've understood that a lot of it has to do with WALB-DT's signal, so I'm hoping that WALB does not start multicasting any more any time soon, but...

... recently I've read that Liberty has struck deals with NBC Universal to multicast NBC Weather Plus, and while it's possible that WALB could choose to replace the weather radar or their digital SD feed with the NBC Weather Plus channel, WALB was recently monkeying with their channel mapping and mapped their radar channel to 17-4, the SD feed to 17-3, and the HD feed to 17-2, which doesn't look good for the future of their HD feed.

~Alan

Old 05-25-2005, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I just turned on WFXL-DT this morning and noticed that they have a blank screen on a secondary multicast channels, 31-2.

I'm disappointed, but after I posted this article on ColumbusDTV's message board, I can't say I'm too surprised.

~Alan

Old 08-16-2005, 10:31 AM

I just got my antenna hooked up and am receiving WVAG and WCTV's digital signal fine but no luck on WTWC. You say you can recieve it fine, but I am closer. You have it tuned to channel 2 or something else?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbturner View Post

I just got my antenna hooked up and am receiving WVAG and WCTV's digital signal fine but no luck on WTWC. You say you can recieve it fine, but I am closer. You have it tuned to channel 2 or something else?

I do indeed tune it to Channel #2, but I never said I receive it fine, just that I can I can get a signal from them at all times (not always a picture), but I am surprised that you can't pick it up that much closer to the source.

What about WTXL-DT (ABC)?! Any luck?!

~Alan

Old 08-16-2005, 09:30 PM

NO luck with it either. I don't understand it, WCTV is real strong pegging out. I figure if I got WTWC I would also get WTXL. Man I wish I could figure it before college football season.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NO luck with it either. I don't understand it, WCTV is real strong pegging out. I figure if I got WTWC I would also get WTXL. Man I wish I could figure it before college football season.

Well, considering WCTV-DT will be carrying most of the College Football (WTXL-DT being the lesser of the two), you at least lucked up there! WCTV-DT will be showing QUITE a few Bulldog games in HD this Fall...

Both the Albany stations, and the Tallahassee stations should be full-powered by July 1, 2006... which is less than a year away now...

~Alan

Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 PM

Yeh, you are right but I just can't understand it. I was doing some adjusting and got WTWC enough to lock at like 67/100 but only for a couple of seconds. As the directions got WCTV and WTWC are just 2 degrees off so if I am aimed that way I should get them both. If I am getting WCTV so strong like 99/100 how can I not get WTWC?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Yeh, you are right but I just can't understand it. I was doing some adjusting and got WTWC enough to lock at like 67/100 but only for a couple of seconds. As the directions got WCTV and WTWC are just 2 degrees off so if I am aimed that way I should get them both. If I am getting WCTV so strong like 99/100 how can I not get WTWC?

I think you need a VHF antenna. I live at Macon, about 20 miles from the towers here, and the CBS affiliate is on VHF channel 4 DT. Without the VHF antenna, I can't get it. With it I have no ploblems.

Al

Charter Voomer
Old 08-22-2005, 02:22 PM

ok, I have a multidirectional antenna and it says that it has an amp with it, maybe inside the circular dish styled antenna? I know that there is a power source at the back of the tv hooked up to the antenna cable, I guess maybe this is a power inserter? Having this does this mean that I have a preamp in the antenna? I can get WCTV at 100, but had to adjust the antenna to get WTWC at just 55 or 56, which means the picture is iffy. WCTV is down to about 65 which is ok. Would I benefit from a preamp? What else can I do other than get another antenna? I did not install it and don't know alot about antennas. I think that this a VHF/UHF and I also have it hooked up to my stereo and it improved my FM reception. If I can get low number analog stations with it does it mean I have a VHF and UHF?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 AM

Does anyone know when WALB and WFXL will go full power?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 PM

WALB HD is on Mediacom on 810, WFXL HD will be available 11/1/05 on 812
Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 PM

ok fine but what about OTA in full power?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 PM

Don't know, I wasn't responding to you, but it sounds like you need a directional antenna. Check to see what antennaweb.org recommends.

Maybe try calling the stations?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM

does the wfxl hd signal broadcast all the time? i tried a scan at 12n with rec but only detected walb in lee county.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:51 AM

anyone from the albany/lee county area know if wfxl fox even has a off air broadcast?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 AM

If you mean HD, then yes. However, the signal oscillates. For example, Sunday's NFL broadcast was received with a signal strength of 90+. Yet, last night I was not able to lock a signal. I live just inside Lee County. The NBC (10.1) is even less reliable!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:38 PM

if i can get the falcs on sunday i will be completely happy......i could not pick up anything last night. i live about 2 miles past chehaw park.....
Old 10-19-2005, 08:37 AM

I'm not quite sure what it is with WALB and WFXL ota. I live in Lee County almost near Cookeville and 82 and I can get WFXL with a silver sensor antenna but can't get WALB. I have a friend who lives in Albany behind Audobahn Plantation and he can get WALB but not WFXL for some reason (he's actually closer to the transmitter I believe).

Anyways, Mediacom has WALB and soon will have WFXL (Nov 1) in HD. Mediacom neds to hurry up and get the CBS and ABC stations out of Colombus soon otherwise I'm going to have to switch to D* when mpeg4 rolls out and "move" to Atlanta.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM

what do you mean by move to atlanta? i might want to do that too....
Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger9 View Post

If you mean HD, then yes. However, the signal oscillates. For example, Sunday's NFL broadcast was received with a signal strength of 90+. Yet, last night I was not able to lock a signal. I live just inside Lee County. The NBC (10.1) is even less reliable!

More of the trials & tribulations of HD-OTA reception is this forsaken area. Can't get waivers from Dish Network to get satellite channels for ABC or CBS. Installed a hot UHF antenna ordered from AntennaDirect with a Winegard preamp. Can get 3 of 4 major networks in digital (no ABC), but can get a decent analog signal for ABC.

Received notice from Dish that the waiver I got from Channel 27 ABC Tallahassee was not sufficient. They require an additional waiver from Channel 9 Columbus in order to give me ABC on their satellite. Don't expect any help from Dish as I have requested and been approved for access to CBS Tallahassee but cannot receive signals until I get another waiver from CBS (3) Columbus!

If I can get an OTA digital signal for ABC, I'm going to tell Dish to stick their Super Dish where the sun don't shine! What a waste for 2 channels you can get off air!
Old 10-26-2005, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know when WALB and WFXL will go full power?

The FCC set a deadline for the top four network (NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS) stations to go full power in the Top 100 markets on July 1, 2005, and the date for all stations in all 210 (Albany is #147) DMAs to go full power on July 1, 2006.

However, all stations can apply for an extension from the FCC (I think 6 months is the longest, unless it's a truly big problem), so whether or not WALB-DT or WFXL-DT will choose to do an extension remains to be seen, but then both chose to get a six-month extension before they turned on their digital signal to begin with.

~Alan

Old 10-26-2005, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger9 View Post

I can pick up WFXL-DT pretty reliably with my Channel Master 4228 here in Terrell County (though I'm pretty close to the Lee County border), but I've had pretty bad luck with WALB-DT in the past few weeks due to the troposphere messing up my reception, and I've missed "Las Vegas", "Medium" and two episodes of "Surface" (one of them I've managed to pick up on SCIFI, but unfortunately in SD though). I did manage to watch last week's "Saturday Night Live" out of Savannah on WSAV-DT though!

However, with the cooler weather, I shouldn't have as much problem with that though...

~Alan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement