post #61 of 454 Old 08-06-2005, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavo1213 View Post

It might be early to ask this but is Charter going to have the indemand channel of Howard Stern.

it would have been cool of them, if they do have plans for stern...but then again this is charter we are talking about...hehe....

i m still waiting for the indemand thingie to work right!!!

anyhow

Martin out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 454 Old 08-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Hey everyone,

Would someone be kind enough to direct me to where I can find QAM HD channels for Charter in Long Beach? I had great HD channels before I moved here using my MyHD 130...I'm disappointed that my search for HD channels in my new house is a washout...so far =(

Thanks in advance!
post #63 of 454 Old 08-27-2005, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
My friend got a call from Charter this morning, telling her that CBS-HD, PBS-HD, and TNT-HD were coming to Charter on October 7.

FINALLY!!! (of course TNT-HD is worth absolute zero, both in terms of picture quality where they are the absolute worst of all the HD networks and broadcast EVERYTHING in 16x9 regardless of what it is, and content quality where for example they deem it acceptable to broadcast the SD version of "NYPD Blue" stretched to 16x9 when they should have acquired the HD version for syndication if they're going to call it "HD").

Anyway, CBS-HD... that's the really good news here.
post #64 of 454 Old 08-28-2005, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

My friend got a call from Charter this morning, telling her that CBS-HD, PBS-HD, and TNT-HD were coming to Charter on October 7.

FINALLY!!! (of course TNT-HD is worth absolute zero, both in terms of picture quality where they are the absolute worst of all the HD networks and broadcast EVERYTHING in 16x9 regardless of what it is, and content quality where for example they deem it acceptable to broadcast the SD version of "NYPD Blue" stretched to 16x9 when they should have acquired the HD version for syndication if they're going to call it "HD").

Awesome news if it's real. I don't watch TNT or PBS enough to matter to me about HD content.

CBS-HD =

-Jorge
post #65 of 454 Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 PM

finally cbs hd. Get to watch the Football games and Letterman in hd.
post #66 of 454 Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Well, TNT-HD isn't worthless to me; it will be important for the NBA season (do they have playoff coverage this season, again?). Outside of that, I don't even think I watch TNT.

CBS-HD...perfect. A bit late for the start of the NFL season, but better than nothing.

Now, I want ESPN2-HD.

--Tim
post #67 of 454 Old 09-05-2005, 09:30 PM

I received a letter from Charter today regarding the new HD channels which will be available on Oct. 5th. The new HD channels are:

KCBS HD ch 782
KCET HD ch 786
TNT HD ch 792

There are also a few other changes:
G4 currently on ch 99 is moving to ch 54
KOCE PBS (new) will be on ch 99
Toon Disney currently on ch 54 is moving to ch 112
Hallmark channel (new) will be on ch 111
TV one (new) will be on ch 162
OLN will be on ch 159
GOL TV (new) will be on ch 414
post #68 of 454 Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

how come i m not getting tbs in HD?

Weird

Martin
post #69 of 454 Old 09-13-2005, 02:07 AM

here in pasadena, ca the channels arrive oct 11
post #70 of 454 Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteless123 View Post

Hey everyone,

Would someone be kind enough to direct me to where I can find QAM HD channels for Charter in Long Beach? I had great HD channels before I moved here using my MyHD 130...I'm disappointed that my search for HD channels in my new house is a washout...so far =(

Thanks in advance!

I could not find them ... pretty sure that they are not there, despite other posts on this board (in other cities) that they could be found.

In Long Beach, you should be able to pick up all the locals with an antenna anyway. You'll need the Charter box for their new add'ns, coming Oct. 11, as noted above.
post #71 of 454 Old 09-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:

here in pasadena, ca the channels arrive oct 11

I got the same letter, with the same date (Oct. 11), for Temple City.

--Tim
post #72 of 454 Old 09-15-2005, 07:53 PM

Charter grant me another wish. Get the Howard stern on demand channel. Please
post #73 of 454 Old 09-16-2005, 10:55 AM

Anybody gotten the Moxi DVRs that were to be available this week? I'm getting really frustrated with pausing in a particular show, going to watch another one, then having to FFF through to catch up where I left off. I'm also having problems of it not recording shows that had worked perfectly before.

-Jorge
post #74 of 454 Old 09-16-2005, 01:52 PM

here in pasadena their available Sept 27
post #75 of 454 Old 09-17-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcaesar View Post

I could not find them ... pretty sure that they are not there, despite other posts on this board (in other cities) that they could be found.

In Long Beach, you should be able to pick up all the locals with an antenna anyway. You'll need the Charter box for their new add'ns, coming Oct. 11, as noted above.

It sucks in my situation 'cuz the landlord refuses to put a new antenna on the roof in my apartment complex. I tried a silver sensor antenna but that was worth diddly squat as I got no reception whatsoever.

Ah well...I'll try again with a fresh scan from my Myhd card when they add the new channels...then I'll report my findings...thanks
post #76 of 454 Old 09-23-2005, 01:09 AM

Here in Pasadena we have cbs hd 782. Watching Letterman right this moment. No sign of TnT hd or Pbs HD.
post #77 of 454 Old 09-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the update chavo, I'll check tonight to see if it has been added to our lineup here in Glendale. I know that they were supposed to be added the week of Oct. 3rd.

-Jorge
post #78 of 454 Old 09-24-2005, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoDaddy View Post

Thanks for the update chavo, I'll check tonight to see if it has been added to our lineup here in Glendale. I know that they were supposed to be added the week of Oct. 3rd.

I live in Glendale, KCET HD and CBS HD have been added as of 9/24/05. I could not find TNT HD though. Also the analog channels have not moved yet.

CBS HD through charter has the same loud volume issue that CBS HD from OTA has.

I'm not using a cable box so my HD channels show up as the following through my Sony HDTV's internal tuner:

102.1 FOX
102.9 NBC
104.5 WB
104.9 ABC
105.1 KCET (PBS)
105.5 CBS
post #79 of 454 Old 09-24-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblim View Post

I live in Glendale, KCET HD and CBS HD have been added as of 9/24/05. I could not find TNT HD though. Also the analog channels have not moved yet.

CBS HD through charter has the same loud volume issue that CBS HD from OTA has.

I'm not using a cable box so my HD channels show up as the following through my Sony HDTV's internal tuner:

102.1 FOX
102.9 NBC
104.5 WB
104.9 ABC
105.1 KCET (PBS)
105.5 CBS

I just checked and I didn't see any new HD channels yet. It could be that you're seeing them already because you don't have a cable box (??). What's the loud volume issue you mentioned? Is it where commercials are played loudly, or is it all programming?

-Jorge
post #80 of 454 Old 09-24-2005, 04:11 PM

Hi,

New member here, trying to figure out what my best options are.

Just purchsed a samsung hl-r4266w (42" dlp). Currently I have DTV with an old dish and old ird's. Meaning I probably need to upgrade my dish and ird's to get HDTV programming. I also previously had dish and am in the same boat with them.

I have been told that HDTV signals are best on cable. Being in Long beach my option is Charter. Several calls to them have let to different information each time, especially on pricing and what tiers/packages/receiver I need to order to get HD programming.

Can someone shed some light on what packages I need to order and what channels I will get. Probably need to get the movie channels. Also what can I pick up w/o cable. It seems using my regular antenna that I am getting on ktla and kcal in HD.
post #81 of 454 Old 09-25-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by governorb View Post

Hi,

New member here, trying to figure out what my best options are.

Just purchsed a samsung hl-r4266w (42" dlp). Currently I have DTV with an old dish and old ird's. Meaning I probably need to upgrade my dish and ird's to get HDTV programming. I also previously had dish and am in the same boat with them.

I have been told that HDTV signals are best on cable. Being in Long beach my option is Charter. Several calls to them have let to different information each time, especially on pricing and what tiers/packages/receiver I need to order to get HD programming.

Can someone shed some light on what packages I need to order and what channels I will get. Probably need to get the movie channels. Also what can I pick up w/o cable. It seems using my regular antenna that I am getting on ktla and kcal in HD.

The first thing you should do is see if you will be able to get decent reception from OTA signals since it since you already have an OTA HD tuner. Go to Antennaweb.org to see what you can pick up from your house.

If you're going the cable route, then decide if you want a DVR along with the HD cable box. Currently new Charter customers can only get the Moxi box, which is better, in terms of user interface, then what the old customers have, the SA8300HD box. I think they charge $12.00/month to rent their new box plus you have to pay for the HD package; you don't need to get the other packages, except for the digital basic package to receive HD programming. So if you don't need the movie channel tier, then don't get it, but you won't get the HBO-HD or Showtime-HD channels.

Currently the HD channels available through Charter's HD-tier are:
770 - HDNet Movies
771 - HDNet
773 - ESPN HD
775 - Discovery HD
777 - HBO-HD
778 - Showtime-HD
781 - KTTV-DT (Fox)
784 - KNBC-DT
785 - KTLA-DT (WB)
787 - KABC-DT

They will be adding KCBS HD ch 782, KCET HD ch 786, and TNT HD ch 792 shortly.

-Jorge
post #82 of 454 Old 09-25-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charter grant me another wish. Get the Howard stern on demand channel. Please

Hi everyone,

First post in the Local forums. If Charter "Montebello" (Alhambra [Monterey Park?], I forget which service area they told me I was in) get this channel, then I'm SO on it.

I also got "the" letter from Charter about new channels, BUT they DON'T even offer HD in Montebello. Which I just found out recently. You think they would have told me that when I used the "get HD' contact from on their site.

Thanks,

Matthew in Montebello

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #83 of 454 Old 09-25-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:

I just checked and I didn't see any new HD channels yet. It could be that you're seeing them already because you don't have a cable box (??). What's the loud volume issue you mentioned? Is it where commercials are played loudly, or is it all programming?

The loud volume issue for me is that the volume on CBS HD is very very loud- almost to the point where the sound distorts. It affects all programming, not just commercials. I have this issue on two different sony HDTV's and an LG 4210 HD receiver. it even occurs on an ati hdtv wonder card so I thought other people might have this issue too.

Also, as of sunday(9/25) i am still getting KCET HD and CBS HD but no TNT HD. It's really odd but for a long time, even without a cable box, i was actually getting most of the HD programming (incl. HBO, showtime, HDNET, discovery). i only have analog cable (ch 1-99) so i should not have been able to view those hd channels but my sony hdtv was displaying them. charter shut off those premium hd channels a month ago but i enjoyed it for quite awhile.
post #84 of 454 Old 09-25-2005, 07:11 PM

Tivodaddy- Thanks for the response

I live in a condo, so my regular atenna is on the roof. Right now I am able to get ktla and kcal in HDTV along with a couple of UHF channels. All the rest are in normal mode. Do I need to buy a special antenna that is capable of recieving HD, and if so why am I only able to receive ktla and kcal in HD, and not the rest? Does this antenna need to be able to totate to recieve HD channels?

I am thinking I might be able to get away with all the locals in HD until I decide what I want to do with cable or satellite. But eventually I will need espn, and tnt in HD (I watch mostly sports but my wife will want the discovery, hbo as soon as she finds out they are in HD).

Cable seems the logical choice, but I will see what Dave/DTV will do for me, even DISH. Currently I pay $45.00 for only basic. Maybe a free dish upgrade and some free programming will help me stay.

As far as cable goes, I was told by CHARTER CSR that I can get 1 HD DVR, expanded cable package, all movie channels and hd tier for $39.99 first 3/months, ~$65 next 9/months and then $80.00/month after that. Does that sound like a good deal?

Not to mention I think I will need to buy a new receiver. My 6 year old onkyo (dTX-DS656) does not have a dvi/hdmi input/output, only digital optical and coaxial. I think I need it because I rought all my equipment through my receiver then the TV so I can use my surround sound system. Also my POS APEX DVD is not progressive scan, so looks like I'll need another new piece of equipment. To bad they didnt have a DVD built in to the TV.

Thanks for any help.

Quote:

The first thing you should do is see if you will be able to get decent reception from OTA signals since it since you already have an OTA HD tuner. Go to to see what you can pick up from your house.

If you're going the cable route, then decide if you want a DVR along with the HD cable box. Currently new Charter customers can only get the Moxi box, which is better, in terms of user interface, then what the old customers have, the SA8300HD box. I think they charge $12.00/month to rent their new box plus you have to pay for the HD package; you don't need to get the other packages, except for the digital basic package to receive HD programming. So if you don't need the movie channel tier, then don't get it, but you won't get the HBO-HD or Showtime-HD channels.

Currently the HD channels available through Charter's HD-tier are:
770 - HDNet Movies
771 - HDNet
773 - ESPN HD
775 - Discovery HD
777 - HBO-HD
778 - Showtime-HD
781 - KTTV-DT (Fox)
784 - KNBC-DT
785 - KTLA-DT (WB)
787 - KABC-DT

They will be adding KCBS HD ch 782, KCET HD ch 786, and TNT HD ch 792 shortly.

post #85 of 454 Old 09-26-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by governorb View Post

Tivodaddy- Thanks for the response

I live in a condo, so my regular atenna is on the roof. Right now I am able to get ktla and kcal in HDTV along with a couple of UHF channels. All the rest are in normal mode. Do I need to buy a special antenna that is capable of recieving HD, and if so why am I only able to receive ktla and kcal in HD, and not the rest? Does this antenna need to be able to totate to recieve HD channels?

I am thinking I might be able to get away with all the locals in HD until I decide what I want to do with cable or satellite. But eventually I will need espn, and tnt in HD (I watch mostly sports but my wife will want the discovery, hbo as soon as she finds out they are in HD).

Cable seems the logical choice, but I will see what Dave/DTV will do for me, even DISH. Currently I pay $45.00 for only basic. Maybe a free dish upgrade and some free programming will help me stay.

As far as cable goes, I was told by CHARTER CSR that I can get 1 HD DVR, expanded cable package, all movie channels and hd tier for $39.99 first 3/months, ~$65 next 9/months and then $80.00/month after that. Does that sound like a good deal?

Not to mention I think I will need to buy a new receiver. My 6 year old onkyo (dTX-DS656) does not have a dvi/hdmi input/output, only digital optical and coaxial. I think I need it because I rought all my equipment through my receiver then the TV so I can use my surround sound system. Also my POS APEX DVD is not progressive scan, so looks like I'll need another new piece of equipment. To bad they didnt have a DVD built in to the TV.

Thanks for any help.

It seems you have quite a decision to make. Go to www.antennaweb.org to find out what type of antenna you will require to get reception where you live. No special antenna required, which I'm sure you can pick up at your locak Rat Shack. It may be that the antenna that you have may not be able to pick all the signals.

That's a pretty good deal regarding Charter. You can try to renegotiate another deal after a year if you like them.

-Jorge
post #86 of 454 Old 09-26-2005, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblim View Post

The loud volume issue for me is that the volume on CBS HD is very very loud- almost to the point where the sound distorts. It affects all programming, not just commercials. I have this issue on two different sony HDTV's and an LG 4210 HD receiver. it even occurs on an ati hdtv wonder card so I thought other people might have this issue too.

Also, as of sunday(9/25) i am still getting KCET HD and CBS HD but no TNT HD. It's really odd but for a long time, even without a cable box, i was actually getting most of the HD programming (incl. HBO, showtime, HDNET, discovery). i only have analog cable (ch 1-99) so i should not have been able to view those hd channels but my sony hdtv was displaying them. charter shut off those premium hd channels a month ago but i enjoyed it for quite awhile.

I'm in West Covina, and I received CBS-HD on Friday (9/23), channel 782, I believe. However, I haven't received TNT-HD or KCET-HD yet. I'm using the SA 3250HD cable box, and I haven't had any problems with the sound on any channels. I watched College Football and NFL Football over the weekend... the picture was awsome!

SONY KDF-55XS955
SONY DVP-NS70H
SA 3250HD
post #87 of 454 Old 09-27-2005, 09:14 AM

I received CBS-HD and KCET-HD yesterday here in Glendale. There is no programming yet so I can't schedule recordings yet. No sign of TNT-HD.

I had no noticeable sound problems from the CBS-HD channel.

-Jorge
post #88 of 454 Old 09-28-2005, 06:54 PM

Charter Glendale Now Has Cbs Hd And Kcet Public Tv Hd. I Checked Tuesday Night. Finally! Hooray!
post #89 of 454 Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM

I Checked Tuesday Sept 27 2005. Charter Glendale Now Has Cbs And Cet Hd. Hooray.
post #90 of 454 Old 10-05-2005, 01:49 PM

I'm not getting TNT HD in Glendale. My analog channels did move though and I am getting KCET and CBS in HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page