Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 454 Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if Charter SG was ever in negotiations (sp?) with In HD? Or if they ever were? ANY help would be appreciated (a Google search turned up nothing).

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 454 Old 10-06-2005, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblim View Post

I'm not getting TNT HD in Glendale (as well as the newly added HD channels). My analog channels did move though and I am getting KCET and CBS in HD.

I'm seeing TNT-HD on channel 792. Try unplugging your box for a few seconds so it restarts; it may just need to reload guided data.

-Jorge
post #93 of 454 Old 10-06-2005, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoDaddy View Post

I'm seeing TNT-HD on channel 792. Try unplugging your box for a few seconds so it restarts; it may just need to reload guided data.

i figured it out. i'm not using a cable box so i won't be able to get tnt-hd. tnt hd is considered a "high definition tier" station so i think it's blocked. kcbs and kcet are both "high definition basic" channels so i can get them without a cable box.
post #94 of 454 Old 10-06-2005, 08:54 PM

So when do the channels get changed in Long Beach!
post #95 of 454 Old 10-07-2005, 12:15 PM

anyone has tried out the new moxi dvrs and is it worth upgrading and paying the extra $2
post #96 of 454 Old 10-14-2005, 04:35 PM

Anyone with the Charter Moxi box in the southland, what model did you receive from Charter? I called and ordered one, but they didn't know what model it is. Are these ones expandable for hard drive space via USB? How big is the drive shipped with the box? And how is the interface? Thanks!
post #97 of 454 Old 10-16-2005, 07:59 PM

TNT is officialy in!
post #98 of 454 Old 10-19-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

TNT is officialy in!

Yes, it will be nice to see the NBA games in HD.

-Jorge
post #99 of 454 Old 10-19-2005, 09:39 PM

Got my Moxi box and wish it had more space. Anyone hooked up a USB 2.0 hard drive to this thing yet?
post #100 of 454 Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrown23 View Post

Got my Moxi box and wish it had more space. Anyone hooked up a USB 2.0 hard drive to this thing yet?

Can you give any specifics regarding the box? HD size, features, etc. Enhancements over the SA box.

Thanks!

-Jorge
post #101 of 454 Old 10-20-2005, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoDaddy View Post

Can you give any specifics regarding the box? HD size, features, etc. Enhancements over the SA box.

Thanks!

Not at home now, so I'll add more later ... but I have to say the interface on the Moxi is nice. Worlds better than the stupid SA nightmare. The SA 8300 was just an awful, awful piece of junk from an interface standpoint. Not quite to Tivo or XP MCE in my opinion, but nice nonetheless. The manual says 12 hours of HD recording, 40+ hours of SD. Not enough, IMO. Definitely needs more space. No control over recording quality like you get with Tivo or MCE. There are USB ports front and back, but I don't know what (or if) they are useable for. There is an RJ-45 port on the back, as well as DVI. Not sure if the DVI port is active or not, as I am currently using component cables to my Sony 50" LCD RPTV. Quality of the video is very good so far on most of the HD channels. I noticed TNT-HD did not seem as good as the other channels, but given the quality of other channels it's probably TNT's fault. SD is so-so, but then again, you have to consider the source and it IS still better than the SD coming out of my Tivo.

Any specific info wanted, let me know!
post #102 of 454 Old 10-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Not at home now, so I'll add more later ... but I have to say the interface on the Moxi is nice. Worlds better than the stupid SA nightmare. The SA 8300 was just an awful, awful piece of junk from an interface standpoint. Not quite to Tivo or XP MCE in my opinion, but nice nonetheless. The manual says 12 hours of HD recording, 40+ hours of SD. Not enough, IMO. Definitely needs more space. No control over recording quality like you get with Tivo or MCE. There are USB ports front and back, but I don't know what (or if) they are useable for. There is an RJ-45 port on the back, as well as DVI. Not sure if the DVI port is active or not, as I am currently using component cables to my Sony 50" LCD RPTV. Quality of the video is very good so far on most of the HD channels. I noticed TNT-HD did not seem as good as the other channels, but given the quality of other channels it's probably TNT's fault. SD is so-so, but then again, you have to consider the source and it IS still better than the SD coming out of my Tivo.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll wait for a while before upgrading just in case there are any bugs that need to be worked out.

-Jorge
post #103 of 454 Old 10-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:

According to MoxiGuy, they don't plan to turn it on until some time next year (linky).
This site is a Moxi FAQ.

From the looks of it, I'm going to wait to get the Moxi. The SA8300HD is clunky, but it seems worlds ahead of the Moxi.

What software version do you have?

-Jorge
post #104 of 454 Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 PM

First, forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this. I have just ordered a Pio 5060 plasma which should be here tomorrow. Thats the good news. The bad news is what the heck do I use for HD content. I live in Pasadena Ca, and currently have champion digital cable. Charter had a really good deal for HD stuff and I am also interested in D*. I can now see that not all HD is created equal. Given the choices which would be a good one to start with. THe big problem I am going to have is that I have 3 replaytv's, rtv5040 on three different tvs. Will these continue to work with a move to D* or charter HD? If not my wife would kill me.

Thanks for any guidance.

Toad
post #105 of 454 Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Topics merged.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #106 of 454 Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 PM

Well, we just got PBS HD and TNT HD here in Long Beach! Great!
...But where's CBS!
post #107 of 454 Old 11-08-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller View Post

First, forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this. I have just ordered a Pio 5060 plasma which should be here tomorrow. Thats the good news. The bad news is what the heck do I use for HD content. I live in Pasadena Ca, and currently have champion digital cable. Charter had a really good deal for HD stuff and I am also interested in D*. I can now see that not all HD is created equal. Given the choices which would be a good one to start with. THe big problem I am going to have is that I have 3 replaytv's, rtv5040 on three different tvs. Will these continue to work with a move to D* or charter HD? If not my wife would kill me.

Thanks for any guidance.

Toad

The short answer is no, you won't be able to use the Replay's for recording HD content. You will still be able to record the analog (straight from the cable) or digital channels from the cable box. To record HD content you will either have to go with the HD-DirecTiVo's or with Charter's HD DVR. Currently you can only go with the Moxi box, and it has it's limitations (see my comments in a post above).

Currently I have the SA8300HD DVR (from Charter) and a TiVo/DVD recorder to record my shows. I use the HD DVR to record HD shows (including basketball and football) and my TiVo to record analog channels (1-99). I'm praying my SA8300HD recorder won't crap out since they are phasing those out.

-Jorge
post #108 of 454 Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm back (LOL). There coming to install Charter HD cable/HD DVR at my house tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a bit rate chart/bit rates for Charter Los Angeles (San Gabriel Valley - Monterey Park/Alhambra). I would appreciate it. I did a search on Google but could not find anything.

What I'm trying to do is, I want to compare Charter HD w/ D* HD. I have a D* HD box right now, but its broken. Boy, its been a VERY! LONG time sice I watched non pre-recorded HD programming. I can't wait to get back at it tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

post #109 of 454 Old 11-26-2005, 09:15 PM

Hey guys,

I live in glendale and we have minimal service from Charter. We dropped to basic service which cuts off the channels at about 33, but then they pick up again at 78, just in time for the HD channels. I got a Fusion HDTV 5 Lite card to see what I could get. After having much difficulty with this card and its lousy software (Access Violations and stupid error messages galore) I seem to have it working pretty well now. I managed to find these channels:

102-1 / 102.2 : FOX HD
102-2 / 102.3 : NBC weather plus (480i)
102-3 / 102.4 : NBC HD

104-2 : KTLA (WB) HD
104-3 : ABC HD

105.? : CBS HD
105.? : KCET HD

Also, a few other 480i channels in the 80 and 90 range.

I have a ? with the 105 channels because they seem to behave strangely. In fact, it wasn't until just last night that the card was able to tune CBS HD. I suspect this is because the 105 channels have been added very recently (based on your other posts in this thread about Charter not carrying CBS HD until just recently) Also, the FusionHDTV program is reporting two different values at different places on the controller pane for the 102 series of channels. The 104s do this too I think, but they stopped working this afternoon. They seem to have a very intermittent signal right now (0%, but briefly spiking to 60% or so). Anyone else having this problem tonight?

In addition to these channels, the card seems to be able to tune several other channels (as many as 20 or more), but they all have no video or sound, despite the fact that it has a good strong signal (above 80%). I realize that I cannot receive the encrypted channels with this card, but is that what these are, or are they just unused channels? Thanks

Matt
post #110 of 454 Old 11-27-2005, 12:19 AM

Liked: 13
just get a HD receiver and an antenna and forget about charter, I enjoy free HD tv and it's sweet
post #111 of 454 Old 12-14-2005, 08:35 PM

I want my Howard Stern!!! Freaking Charter
post #112 of 454 Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavo1213 View Post

I want my Howard Stern!!! Freaking Charter

Hi Chavo,

Yeh, Charter sucks! I wouldn't hold my breath for Howard on Charter. Just like for the In HD Networks for the San Gabriel Area. Of course if I had to choose ONLY one (hard decision), but it would be for the In HD Ntwks.

BTW, there coming Tues. to actually install the HD-DVR box. Thanks.

post #113 of 454 Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

just get a HD receiver and an antenna and forget about charter, I enjoy free HD tv and it's sweet

Yeah, if you can actually get reception. Remember, not all homes receive OTA equally.
post #114 of 454 Old 12-19-2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:

the 8300's SD output is better than TiVos?
sounds like a nice plus.

is the TiVo's bad, or is the 8300's just very good?

what kind of TiVo is it?

thx
post #115 of 454 Old 12-23-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclom View Post

the 8300's SD output is better than TiVos?
sounds like a nice plus.

is the TiVo's bad, or is the 8300's just very good?

what kind of TiVo is it?

thx

All TiVo's except for the combo DirecTiVo's will be converting digital to analog signal, while the 8300's are recorded in digital mode since there is no coversion.

The TiVo that I have, the Toshiba TiVo/DVD combo, has a component output but even at best quality you still see artifacts on a digital TV. However, the output from the DVD is very good since the signal is digital.

Anybody know if you can rent an external HD on the 8300's to increase the recording space?

-Jorge
post #116 of 454 Old 01-06-2006, 06:39 AM

I recently contacted charter and asked what box they're currently using. They claim to be using the MOXI box now instead of the SA 8300HD. Can anyone confirm this? I will be picking up a DLP soon and if it's using the MOXI box i'll definately get it.
post #117 of 454 Old 01-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrfc123 View Post

I recently contacted charter and asked what box they're currently using. They claim to be using the MOXI box now instead of the SA 8300HD. Can anyone confirm this? I will be picking up a DLP soon and if it's using the MOXI box i'll definately get it.

You may want to rethink that option. I had a repairman come out last week to fix my cable modem and I started chatting with him about the Moxi box. He hated it as the PQ was horrible for the analog channels and the Hard Drive space was also a big issue. You may want to check the Moxi threads in this forum, as they are also experiencing problems. He states that customers are demanding that they get the SA boxes until the problems are fixed.

I can't say anything about it since I don't have one. Although I do know that the user interface is much better than the SA boxes.

FYI. Charter is rolling out a VoiP service within a couple of months, and they are upgrading their system in the L.A. area (Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, etc.) in preparation. This "prep" will knock out your cable, OnDemand, PPV, etc. if you have a voltage problem or use splitters. I had no Internet connection for a week even though on their end everything looked fine. They had to install a filter right before the modem for it to work. Since Glendale is an older community, a lot of the electrical outlets are not grounded, which will disable your modems.

Yeah, Charter sucks big time. Since I can't get DirecTV or Dish (no clear sight to the birds), I'm stuck with them.

-Jorge
post #118 of 454 Old 01-10-2006, 11:19 AM

Has anyone had any first hand experience with the MOXI box?
post #119 of 454 Old 01-11-2006, 01:08 PM

I have charter and had the SA box and upgraded to the Moxi. The SA is a very good box except for the UI (user interface). The SA ui is hard to use compared to the Moxi. The MOXI UI is good but alot of problems with the picture quality. On many levels, the Moxi has problems on HD especially. Maintaining a good bitrate picture is very bad with the Moxi. Alot of pixelixation with the MOXI. Also the MOXI UI is slower than the SA. The PQ has to go with SA. Using both boxes on a MITS 52" (component). HDMI/DVI will be supported sometime in future. The Moxi is also more per month than the SA.

KJ
post #120 of 454 Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleggjp View Post

Hey guys,

I live in glendale and we have minimal service from Charter. We dropped to basic service which cuts off the channels at about 33, but then they pick up again at 78, just in time for the HD channels. I got a Fusion HDTV 5 Lite card to see what I could get. After having much difficulty with this card and its lousy software (Access Violations and stupid error messages galore) I seem to have it working pretty well now. I managed to find these channels:

102-1 / 102.2 : FOX HD
102-2 / 102.3 : NBC weather plus (480i)
102-3 / 102.4 : NBC HD

104-2 : KTLA (WB) HD
104-3 : ABC HD

105.? : CBS HD
105.? : KCET HD

Matt

Thanks Matt. I have been unsuccessful with the Fusion 3 Card. Haven't tried in a few months. Try again soon. Live in SoCal. Can you tell us what your setup is? What version of Fusion software you are using? Is your cable split or run straight from the main line? Last time I tried, I got one or two SD channels with bad reception. I get all the SD channels with a SD tuner card (hauppage). Do I need an Fusion 5 card? OTA on the Fusion 3 w/ MCE works great, I'd prefer to use cable because don't have to worry 'bout dropping signal. Thanks
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page