Los Angeles, CA - Charter - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 454 Old 01-11-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I m using a sa8300hd non moxi box and was wondering is the resolutions are different

Does anyone know what the this new sa8300hd box capable of outputing through component?

I went to sa's site but didnt find any values

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 454 Old 01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone getting flickering, a green thin long line that will flash on the screen for a second, every so oftern, on KTLA. JUST noitced RIGHT NOW on "One Tree Hill." I'm worried that this still might happen when "Everwood" returns. Tuesday in the evening, the audio on KTLA was all staticky. And then yesterday afternoon (I don't know for how long though) there was no signal for KTLA.

[I'm in Montebello] - Thanks

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #123 of 454 Old 01-12-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan View Post

Hello

I m using a sa8300hd non moxi box and was wondering is the resolutions are different

Does anyone know what the this new sa8300hd box capable of outputing through component?

I went to sa's site but didnt find any values

Martin

Martin,
Are you asking about Moxi's capability of component output or the SA8300HD? The Moxi box is made by Digeo. You can check out Moxi's features here.

As per other comments I have read and heard (don't have one myself), the PQ is not great.

-Jorge
post #124 of 454 Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV View Post

Is anyone getting flickering, a green thin long line that will flash on the screen for a second, every so oftern, on KTLA. JUST noitced RIGHT NOW on "One Tree Hill." I'm worried that this still might happen when "Everwood" returns. Tuesday in the evening, the audio on KTLA was all staticky. And then yesterday afternoon (I don't know for how long though) there was no signal for KTLA.

[I'm in Montebello] - Thanks

I don't have Charter but I had the same green line on KTLA (OTA) on tuesday night quite often.
post #125 of 454 Old 01-17-2006, 01:46 AM

Charter in Pasadena has put Universal HD in the HD lineup (Channel 793)
post #126 of 454 Old 01-18-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoDaddy View Post

Martin,
Are you asking about Moxi's capability of component output or the SA8300HD? The Moxi box is made by Digeo. You can check out Moxi's features here.

As per other comments I have read and heard (don't have one myself), the PQ is not great.

Thanks for the links and info tvdaddy

yes i was....i m sure the electronics are about the same in the moxi and sa8300hd non moxi boxes...(...I think!)
Reason i asked is because couldn't get 1080i and 720p over component to work with my cs2 2 scaler and crt projector...

I am watching everything at 480P (I know it is sad!)

I guess the moome transcoder will take care of that little annoyance!

Martin
post #127 of 454 Old 01-25-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I am so happy to hear that someone else saw these green lines! I've got a recording of Charmed that has these lines in it. I watched the show live while I was recording, and I had hoped that it was just a problem with my decoder. However, close frame-by-frame examination later revealed that they were not only still around in my recording, but they didn't even look like MPEG errors. It looked like the lines had been (unintentionally or not) encoded into the MPEG stream, since they would be present in one frame, and then completely gone in the next frame. MPEG errors usually corrupt one frame, and then other frames after it, since they have backwards refrences to the corrupt frame. Your seeing the lines too, would support this theory, since I doubt that Charter was corrupting my line only.

I've had a lot of other problems lately with KTLA and also ABC (both are on channel 104). Sometimes they play just fine, while other times they have massive corruption so bad that the video will often completely just freeze. I recorded a show when it was bad like this, and the recording has tons of errors in it, so it's not a decoder issue. The green lines are one thing, but this is much worse. I'd be curious to know if anyone with a Charter HDTV box has noticed this too.

Quote:

Thanks Matt. I have been unsuccessful with the Fusion 3 Card. Haven't tried in a few months. Try again soon. Live in SoCal. Can you tell us what your setup is? What version of Fusion software you are using? Is your cable split or run straight from the main line? Last time I tried, I got one or two SD channels with bad reception. I get all the SD channels with a SD tuner card (hauppage). Do I need an Fusion 5 card? OTA on the Fusion 3 w/ MCE works great, I'd prefer to use cable because don't have to worry 'bout dropping signal. Thanks

In addition to my Fusion 5 Lite card, I also have an Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB memory, and an MSI video card with an ATi X800XL GPU (which handles a lot of the decoding load). I have both Windows 2000 and XP, and it seems to work fine with both. I started with software version 2.9xx (forogt the exact number), but lately I have been using the 3.20 version. It has done the best job so far of seeing all the channels correctly. I remember having all kinds of trouble when I first tried using this card with the original software version (the 2.9xx one). It helps to now know exactly where the channels should be and how they work with the different sub-channels. I would say if you haven't tried it in a while, grab the new 3.20 version of the software, and make sure it scans the digital channels too.

Matt
post #128 of 454 Old 01-28-2006, 11:35 AM

I just called Charter in Pasadena and the sales rep strictly told me that I could not get the sa 8300 box anymore and all they offered in my area was the moxi box. Now Im worried about PQ so is he full of **** or am I stuck with Moxi?
post #129 of 454 Old 02-22-2006, 05:38 PM

Hey, I am new here. I am thinking about going with Charter to get their service since D-TV is ripping me off by keeping increasing its price (44.95 for total choice). Since I just got a LCD HDTV, I would like to receive some HD channel. Charter Rep told me that I need to install a HD cable box to be able to do so and it will cost me about $7.99/mo. I am wondering if there is any unencrypted local HD channels through Charter in L.A./pasadena area. My LCD TV has a QAM tuner. Thanks a lot.
post #130 of 454 Old 02-23-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy99 View Post

Hey, I am new here. I am thinking about going with Charter to get their service since D-TV is ripping me off by keeping increasing its price (44.95 for total choice). Since I just got a LCD HDTV, I would like to receive some HD channel. Charter Rep told me that I need to install a HD cable box to be able to do so and it will cost me about $7.99/mo. I am wondering if there is any unencrypted local HD channels through Charter in L.A./pasadena area. My LCD TV has a QAM tuner. Thanks a lot.

Hey galaxy,

All you need is an antenna and a tuner. First go to www.antennaweb.org to check for your reception where you live (you only need to input your address). It will ask you if there are tall buildings, etc. that may obstruct the wave paths, etc. It will then tell you the type of antenna you should buy for the particular local OTA digital channels you want to receive and watch.

Since your TV already has a tuner, you're good to go. Your only problem will be if you want to record those shows in HD. Then you'll have to get a recorder. Check out the HDT Reception Hardware Forum for more information. Good luck.

-Jorge
post #131 of 454 Old 02-26-2006, 02:31 AM

Hey, what the hell happened to PBS HD on Charter Long Beach?! All of a sudden it's the SD feed and not the HD feed! Another genius innovation from Charter *golf clap*

Ah, well. That's ok, I went out and bought a Zenith Silver Sensor. KILLER indoor antenna! And to think for months I was using a crappy TERK knock off. I'm a TARD for using the TERK!
post #132 of 454 Old 02-26-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteless123 View Post

Hey, what the hell happened to PBS HD on Charter Long Beach?! All of a sudden it's the SD feed and not the HD feed! Another genius innovation from Charter *golf clap*

Well, I'll say that Charter up where I am still is broadcasting PBSHD correctly (at least at the time I'm writing this); up near Pasadena.

--Tim
post #133 of 454 Old 03-04-2006, 11:13 PM

Hello!

I'm new to HD and am getting rid of Directv as their HD offerings seem to be lacking. I am in Glendale, CA and am trying out Charter. The PQ seems quite good both on HD and digital SD channels. However, I hate the SA 8300HD box. This has got to be the ugliest interface ever. I'm used to my 3 year old Directv Tivo which is great.

I'm thinking of building my own MythTV (Linux) PVR using OTA and maybe some digital cable signals.

Does anyone know which channels I should be able to get over Charter's cable feed using the QAM digital signals? In other words, what is unencrypted on Charter in Glendale?

Thanks!

-Casey
post #134 of 454 Old 03-05-2006, 09:03 PM

Interested to know this as well, which HD channels on Charter, Glendale, CA are QAM unencrypted.

Thanks,
post #135 of 454 Old 03-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Well, no answers, so I plugged my cable into my HDTV's cable input and did a channel scan. Here's what comes in:

Channels 2-99, maybe with some exceptions.

Then I also get:

102-1 720p (Fox11), 102-5 480i (weather), 102-9 1080i (NBC4), 104-1 480i (ABC7), 104-5 1080i (KTLA/WB), 104-9 720p (KABC-DT 7), 117 480i (ESPN Bristol color bars), 200 480i (LOD), 281 480i (ATLA ?), 282 480i (CMC), 283 480i (ATV), 782 1080i (CBSHD), 786 1080i (KCET HD), 800 480i (Barkr)

So to summarize, that would be Charter's Analog Basic (they don't look too good), and their Expanded Basic channels (also don't look good). Those must all be analog channels.

Plus you get the local broadcast networks in HD: Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, KCET, KTLA.

Those other channels are pretty much useless. LOD is a looping Ford ad right now, 281-293 are not in english, but might be of interest to someone. I think 800 is advertising for Pay-Per-View, which of course you couldn't get.

By the way, I subscribe to pretty much everything offered, except the Digital Sports Tier.

So, apparently, all of the digital tier channels, and the premium movie channels, are encrypted. It's not looking good for a MythTV box (or any media center PC system).

There you go. Lock it down, use our boxes or go away! Sad times.

I hope I like the Moxi box that's coming on Wednesday. The SA 8300HD is a real piece. Makes my 3 year old Tivo look great... too bad no good HD with Tivo right now (Directv doesn't count - HDLite).

-Casey
post #136 of 454 Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 PM

Casey,
i take it your HDTV has a built-in tuner? Mine is a Panasonic 26" HDTV ready screen. i was thinking of getting a relatively cheap QAM tuner to get the unencrypted HD locals. i just have the Basic/Expanded analog service right now. although, now i am reading about the Tivo Series 3 tuner coming out mid-year with supposedly has a QAM tuner in it. Also, i was reading about the EyeTV 500 having a QAM tuner as well. but it's a lil pricey at $400.

thanks for the info, Casey.
post #137 of 454 Old 03-07-2006, 07:24 AM

Hey Caseystone,

How's your reception on channel 104, that is, KABC-DT and KTLA/WB? Those channels occasionally come in poorly for me. Sometimes they come in great, other times they break up (sometimes a lot, sometimes only a little), and other times I can't get anything at all. I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem at my location, or if this is just Glendale Charter in general. I'm using a FusionHDTV 5 Lite card on my PC, and I get the same HD channels that you found.

Matt
post #138 of 454 Old 03-07-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleggjp View Post

Hey Caseystone,

How's your reception on channel 104, that is, KABC-DT and KTLA/WB? Those channels occasionally come in poorly for me. Sometimes they come in great, other times they break up (sometimes a lot, sometimes only a little), and other times I can't get anything at all. I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem at my location, or if this is just Glendale Charter in general. I'm using a FusionHDTV 5 Lite card on my PC, and I get the same HD channels that you found.

Matt

I just turned it on again to check and the 104 channels look fine. I don't normally use this setup, so I could have the same erratic behavior as you and have just been lucky these two times I've checked.

-Casey
post #139 of 454 Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 PM

I actually returned the MOXI DVR because it was driving me nuts. Interface was still horrible. PQ was horrible. AV Sync was horrible. It was extremely slow. Sometimes it would take 3 full seconds just to switch channels.
I replaced it with the SA 3250HD. I can live without the DVR until they release a better box.

One question. Does anyone else see a constant green tint scan line followed by a pinkish purple scan line going upwards constantly on all the HD channels? This is bugging me. The only time you dont see this is on any programs that have no and I mean no dark scenes.
post #140 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 11:52 AM

Ketchup,

I'm getting the moxi on the 20th. I will also be in glendale. Is the moxi that bad? could it be anything else in you setup besides the moxi maybe. I was looking forward to getting it, but now reconsidering...

how do you like that 3250, picture any better?

what knd of tv and tuner etc are you using? what kind of connections are you using?
post #141 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzrdking28 View Post

Ketchup,

I'm getting the moxi on the 20th. I will also be in glendale. Is the moxi that bad? could it be anything else in you setup besides the moxi maybe. I was looking forward to getting it, but now reconsidering...

how do you like that 3250, picture any better?

what knd of tv and tuner etc are you using? what kind of connections are you using?

I got my MOXI in Glendale a couple days ago. Here are my first impressions:

1) PQ just as good as SA8300HD box, except for when it has trouble keeping up with the stream and pixelates/drops out which so far has not happened much.

2) The interface is beautiful... nice GUI and goes with my sleek new 65" HDTV. The SA8300HD's interface was 1990s cable-ugly.

3) The processor is perhaps a little slow for all this eye candy. It feels sluggish, sometimes just a little, sometimes you wait 5 seconds for something to happen.

4) The box locks up whenever I turn on my DVI-HDMI connected TV. This lockup and automatic reboot takes about 3 minutes. That is lame. If I decide I'm happy enough with the box and service, maybe I'll switch to Component connection.

I could say more, but I shoudl feel it out for a few more days.

-Casey
post #142 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 09:07 PM

Tonight, recording HD American Idol and watching some other HD channel could not be done. Major pixelation and drop outs. I tuned to a SD channel because I was worried that the recording channel might be affected.

My suspicions were right... the recording was also damaged until the time I changed the channel.

I can't imagine how this machine could record two HD shows and playback a third.

This machine needs a CPU and Hard Drive upgrade in a major way. I'm surprised they are shipping this thing.

I wish I could get my premium HD content into my Mac or a MythTV box... Apparently not with the state of cable cards and 5C encryption on the firewire links. I know it does take major CPU power to pull off this stuff. The Elgato EyeTV 500 HD receiver box and software for Mac requires a dual G5 machine for HD.

-Casey
post #143 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 10:24 PM

caseystone thanks for that input...fsome lady at charter told me that the hdmi was not active on these boxes...i guess she was wrong. well, you have pretty much just summed up what other people have been saying. I think i might be able to love with it for now...i still think im going to give it a try.

i heard the sd picture is bad with the moxi...what have you noticed about that?
post #144 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzrdking28 View Post

caseystone thanks for that input...fsome lady at charter told me that the hdmi was not active on these boxes...i guess she was wrong. well, you have pretty much just summed up what other people have been saying. I think i might be able to love with it for now...i still think im going to give it a try.

i heard the sd picture is bad with the moxi...what have you noticed about that?

I'm not sure. I did notice that channels 2-99 (analog ones) looked pretty bad. The SD digital channels are OK I think....

-Casey
post #145 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 PM

so what do you think moxi or no moxi?
post #146 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 10:52 PM

well i guess my only other choice here in glendale is 8300hd right....
post #147 of 454 Old 03-09-2006, 11:03 PM

i thought it was digital cable....there are no analog channels..

btw sorry for three seperate posts
post #148 of 454 Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 AM

I would say NO MOXI till they update it or release another box. I had it connected through component to a 40" Sony Bravia Xbr. The PQ was horrible on SD and HD as well. The SA 3250's PQ was much much better. I will be DVR-less until Charter releases a different box.
post #149 of 454 Old 03-10-2006, 06:32 PM

I guess I'll be getting rid of it (the Moxi) soon. I think it's Dish for me, with their nice HD offerings and (hopefully) a good box in the new ViP622. It's a little more expensive than I'd like, but it seem the only serious choice right now.

-Casey
post #150 of 454 Old 03-13-2006, 08:49 AM

Casey,
Your experience was exactly what a lot of people have been saying about the Moxi box. Even their own cable repair guys hate the box. The SA8300HD is a clunker but it's better than the Moxi. Yes, the Moxi has a great GUI, but what good is it if it's slow, doesn't record well, and you have very little room to record.

-Jorge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page