post #331 of 645 Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

I checked with the Chief Engineer at WTOV regarding the "ch 57 or Ch 9" question and his response today was: "We will turn off Ch 57 when we turn on Digital channel 9 hopefully on February 18 around 1 am."

That assumes the FCC allows WTOV to turn on Digital channel 9 on the 18th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 645 Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

That assumes the FCC allows WTOV to turn on Digital channel 9 on the 18th.

Of course. At this moment things depend on FCC response to the re-requests submitted by stations by this coming Monday. I also have queried WTRF regarding their plans....hopefully will hear something from them soon.

Also see this article in Broadcasting and Cable: http://www.multichannel.com/article/...hp?rssid=20060
post #333 of 645 Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Of course. At this moment things depend on FCC response to the re-requests submitted by stations by this coming Monday. I also have queried WTRF regarding their plans....hopefully will hear something from them soon.

Also see this article in Broadcasting and Cable: http://www.multichannel.com/article/...hp?rssid=20060

My guess is that it will very difficult for the FCC to tell stations they can't shut down their analog stations on the 17th without the possibility of lawsuits. Whether a station can turn on a digital transmitter on a channel where there isn't already one operating is probably fully within their authority.
post #334 of 645 Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The White House wants your opinion on The DTV Delay ACT Bill
President Obama said he will not sign the DTV transaction act into law on Monday until he hears what the public has to say, you can comment here

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing_room/dtv_delay_act/
post #335 of 645 Old 02-07-2009, 03:14 PM

This was posted on the WTRF website yesterday:

http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=51552

Let's hope the FCC doesn't decide otherwise after Monday.
post #336 of 645 Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 PM

Apparently WTRF-DT conducted a full-power digital test Saturday night on channel 7 from 11:30-12:00 AM. I was sent an email to that effect by Brad Stanford, their Chief Engineer but unfortunately didn't see it until after the test was over. Did anyone else catch it? Hopefully there will be further testing....I asked him to let me know if more tests are scheduled.
post #337 of 645 Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sorry, I did not see it.

Tom
post #338 of 645 Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

Sorry, I did not see it.

OK....I am really bummed that I missed it. I would have checked my email sooner but was watching a movie, then the Ch 9 news which I had recorded, so didn't get to it. In any case, I was pleased to get a response from WTRF. His email was sent at 10:36 PM, so it may have been a last minute decision to test tonight/last night.
post #339 of 645 Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Looks like channel 9 decided to not switch on 2/17/09. That stinks I was looking forward to a stronger signal.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/18672994/detail.html

PSN ID: Budracin8808

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
post #340 of 645 Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budracin8 View Post

Looks like channel 9 decided to not switch on 2/17/09. That stinks I was looking forward to a stronger signal.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/18672994/detail.html

At least they didn't say June 12th so maybe they'll switch after the March sweeps pending approval from the FCC.
post #341 of 645 Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Now i'm confused. Despite the news link I posted earlier. During the 6pm news channel 9 announced that they intend to switch to all digital on 2/17. Which is correct the website or the live anchor?

post #342 of 645 Old 02-09-2009, 05:20 PM

Who said there was a change? The website says they submitted a request today, per the new regulations, to switch on 2/17. That was what they said previously. I see the notice was updated at 5:58 PM. Was it saying something different originally?

Did no one catch the WTRF full power digital test I mentioned earlier? As I said, I didn't see the email about it until it was over and at the moment haven't heard more about further testing.
post #343 of 645 Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Who said there was a change? The website says they submitted a request today, per the new regulations, to switch on 2/17. That was what they said previously. I see the notice was updated at 5:58 PM. Was it saying something different originally?

Did no one catch the WTRF full power digital test I mentioned earlier? As I said, I didn't see the email about it until it was over and at the moment haven't heard more about further testing.

The link I have in my earlier post stated (at about 3pm today) that WTOV would not switch over on the 17th. Now that I check it again it says that they will switch over.

post #344 of 645 Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:

I would have liked to have caught it, just to see if the digital 7 will be better received than the analog 7.
post #345 of 645 Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post

I would have liked to have caught it, just to see if the digital 7 will be better received than the analog 7.

That was my main reason also. I've had very poor reception of analog 7 since their transmitter problems and no reception of digital 7 except for a few minutes when tropospheric enhancement is present, mainly in the summer months. I'm from that general area originally and just like to see the "down home" stations.
post #346 of 645 Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM

As you probably have heard by now, the FCC is now questioning as to whether both WTOV and WTRF should make the digital switch on 2/17. The stations have to present all their facts/arguments to the FCC by tomorrow and probably will get a decision from them by next Tuesday. See a good report on all this at:

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/ and http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art..._on_Feb_17.php
post #347 of 645 Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Well they wouldn't be the government if they didn't make things too complicated.

post #348 of 645 Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 PM

I for one would hope they approve it and let them know like saturday or sunday since tuesday at midnight was wtrf's switch on date and tuesday at 1:01 am was wtov's switch on date.

Just watch though that the fcc tells both that they can't switch til june.
post #349 of 645 Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 PM

why is wtrf and wtov both saying that cable and satellite customers won't have to do anything? Am I missing something here since both aren't on satellite or have they been uplinked recently?
post #350 of 645 Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedz5 View Post

why is wtrf and wtov both saying that cable and satellite customers won't have to do anything? Am I missing something here since both aren't on satellite or have they been uplinked recently?

I'm not sure why they mention satellite as neither one is on Dish or Directv and I haven't heard anything about them being added to those services in the near future.
post #351 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedz5 View Post

It's possible that they were referring to those of us who run OTA into our directv receivers to incorporate the locals into the guide and in my case use my DVR to record locals. If WTOV and WTRF switch on 2/17 I will be able to recieve them via my DVR (as long as the guide data updates correctly since HR20's do not scan for channels).

post #352 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:

As you probably have heard by now, the FCC is now questioning as to whether both WTOV and WTRF should make the digital switch on 2/17. The stations have to present all their facts/arguments to the FCC by tomorrow and probably will get a decision from them by next Tuesday. See a good report on all this at:

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/ and http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art..._on_Feb_17.php

The Ohio Media blog doesn't make the situaiton sound very promising for those of us who would like both WTRF and WTOV to make the transition on 2/17. Does anybody have any idea what may happen?

I was thinking that since WTRF has a weak analog signal and a weaker digital signal they may be given permission to switch. As far as WTOV maybe they would be willing for fall on the sword and keep broadcasting in both analog and digital for the extra 60 days. Any thoughts?

post #353 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was thinking that since WTRF has a weak analog signal and a weaker digital signal they may be given permission to switch. As far as WTOV maybe they would be willing for fall on the sword and keep broadcasting in both analog and digital for the extra 60 days. Any thoughts?

Because both WTRF and WOWK have had equipment failures I think the extreme economic hardship argument will be used by West Virginia Media Holdings. Unless Cox is willing to sue (unlikely) the FCC, WTOV analog will probably not shut down next Tuesday.
post #354 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

Because both WTRF and WOWK have had equipment failures I think the extreme economic hardship argument will be used by West Virginia Media Holdings. Unless Cox is willing to sue (unlikely) the FCC, WTOV analog will probably not shut down next Tuesday.

I could be satisfied with that scenario. I can get WTOV although I was looking forward to the VHF signal. I can't get WTRF DT at all and my only hope for survivor in HD (that I can DVR) will be the FCC allowing them to transition 2/17.

post #355 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM

http://www.wtov9.com/news/18709112/detail.html

It's official. WTOV will not be switching on 2/17. No word in the article re: when they may switch. Hopefully it will be the 60 day number that was mentioned in the two links provided by rluyster.

post #356 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:

http://www.wtov9.com/news/18709112/detail.html

It's official. WTOV will not be switching on 2/17. No word in the article re: when they may switch. Hopefully it will be the 60 day number that was mentioned in the two links provided by rluyster.

I just saw that on their website. It's disappointing but not unexpected after the latest FCC statements. I wonder what the verdict was for WTRF? Their website still has the "switching on 2/17" blurb. I agree that WTRF is probably currently in the worst shape with their low power output on both analog and digital.
post #357 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM

It's probably hard for anyone in the Wheeling-Steubenville area to know...but has WTOV-DT been on reduced power the past 24 hours or so since the wind storms? Their signal level suddenly went below the reception threshold here in Canton. The analog signal seems to be at the usual level. I don't think I'm having antenna problems as all other reception seems to be normal.
post #358 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:

I just saw that on their website. It's disappointing but not unexpected after the latest FCC statements. I wonder what the verdict was for WTRF? Their website still has the "switching on 2/17" blurb. I agree that WTRF is probably currently in the worst shape with their low power output on both analog and digital.

Yea, WTRF has never taken their countdown clock off the website. Not sure what that may mean for WTRF but WTOV took the counter off as soon as the news came out that they would have to file another petition to go digital on 2/17.

WTOV's article was written in a manner that suggested frustration on their part. Time will tell as to when they will switch. I'll keep looking for information but emails to WTOV are usually answered without giving much of an answer.

post #359 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:

It's probably hard for anyone in the Wheeling-Steubenville area to know...but has WTOV-DT been on reduced power the past 24 hours or so since the wind storms? Their signal level suddenly went below the reception threshold here in Canton. The analog signal seems to be at the usual level. I don't think I'm having antenna problems as all other reception seems to be normal.

I'm not sure but about 1 or 2 weeks ago my signal strength for WTOV DT jumped by about 10-15%. It stayed at that level for about 1 week and then dropped back to my normal 58-60%. I though that they may have been running some sort of test at the time.

post #360 of 645 Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Yea, WTRF has never taken their countdown clock off the website. Not sure what that may mean for WTRF but WTOV took the counter off as soon as the news came out that they would have to file another petition to go digital on 2/17.

WTOV's article was written in a manner that suggested frustration on their part. Time will tell as to when they will switch. I'll keep looking for information but emails to WTOV are usually answered without giving much of an answer.

Yes, I had noticed that the countdown was gone from WTOV's website and wondered if that was a portent. I know I would be frustrated if I were in their shoes. This whole thing has got to be a nightmare for stations the way it's been bungled by the feds. I'm hoping WTRF will be permitted to go ahead as planned.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page