Wheeling, WV - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 644 Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The on-screen signal meter on my LG receiver often shows a signal on ch. 32 that bounces from 0 to somewhere in the 70s or 80s every few seconds, never stable enough to lock. I'm not sure if this is because of a basically weak signal or due to some kind of interference...perhaps multipath. I'm not even sure if the signal seen is WTRF-DT as I know there's another station on ch.32 in the Johnstown-Altoona PA area. On analog 32 I can see some faint video which is spurious signal from local channel 17...probably due to my preamplifier causing some overload in the receiver's front end...so that may be an interference factor also. I'm going to play around with taking the preamplifier off line and see if that makes a difference. The only problem with that is the fact that I probably would need the amplification on to receive WTRF-DT from so far away....that seems to be the case with WTOV-DT on ch. 57. Without the preamp they tend to be just below the reception threshold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 644 Old 12-20-2006, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you get digital WTOV in Canton?

WTRF-DT isn't at full power IIRC. I don't think you have any more chance getting it in Canton than you do getting KWGN out of Denver.
post #93 of 644 Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM

Yes, I receive WTOV-DT (ch 57) here in Canton regularly with a moderately strong signal. It's hard to tell exactly what the signal level is on the funky on-screen meter of the LG receiver....that meter is the only real criticism I have of the LG....but using the OTA tuner of my Directv receiver, WTOV-DT is usually in the mid to high 70s. Reception is from a Winegard antenna with preamp on a 50' tower. WTOV and WTRF analog are received here also...WTOV (ch 9) has a strong signal....WTRF (ch 7) is usually fair. I know WTRF-DT is still at a low power level but hopefully will be receivable once they go to full power. I also get a very strong signal from WOUC-DT (ch 35) PBS in Cambridge all the time....they're my only chance to see any PBS HD programming since local PBS 45 & 49 haven't had any HD in ages and WVIZ-DT in Cleveland is still at flea-power level. I can see Pittsburgh analogs on chs 2 (with interference from WKYC-DT), 4, 11, 13, 22, 53 with fair to snowy video. Digital signals pop in often from 11 and 22...and when tropo conditions are good, I get almost all the Pittsburgh DT outlets. The meters show low signal levels all the time from 11 and 22 DT but they're usually just below the reception threshold until days when reception conditions are enhanced. I'm not sure why those two are always better than the other P'burgh DT outlets. Anyhow...it's interesting to tune around and see what can be received.
post #94 of 644 Old 12-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

ab8jh, did you ever have any success in receiving WTOV, ch 57?

Sorry for the late reply. I still haven't seen even a blip of signal on 57. I consistently see openings to Columbus when the atmospheric conditions are right. So far nothing, even with a Channelmaster 7777 in line. My plans are to replace the RG-6 coax with RG-11, and put the antenna up another 20 or so feet. That might make the difference.

Is anybody aware of any change with WTRF? Still at flea power?

BTW, seasons greetings, etc to everyone.
post #95 of 644 Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 AM

ab8jh, good luck with your plans to replace the coax and raise the antenna!...hopefully that will do the trick. I've heard nothing lately re WTRF-DT going to higher power...I sent another email to their engineer since the reply I posted here months ago but didn't receive a further reply. I don't understand why they or any other station have to be so secretive about their plans. As illustrated by the postings of Youngstown station engineers on that thread, some stations can be helpful and it is much appreciated by viewers. You'd think all stations would want to have the best PR possible in these days of high competition.

Keep us posted on your WTOV-DT project and best wishes to all for the new year!
post #96 of 644 Old 12-27-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8jh View Post

Sorry for the late reply. I still haven't seen even a blip of signal on 57. I consistently see openings to Columbus when the atmospheric conditions are right. So far nothing, even with a Channelmaster 7777 in line. My plans are to replace the RG-6 coax with RG-11, and put the antenna up another 20 or so feet. That might make the difference.

Is anybody aware of any change with WTRF? Still at flea power?

BTW, seasons greetings, etc to everyone.

ab8jh
What advantages is rg-11 vs. rg-6 The last I heard a while back was WTRF was waiting on FCC approval.

Tom
post #97 of 644 Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

ab8jh
What advantages is rg-11 vs. rg-6 The last I heard a while back was WTRF was waiting on FCC approval.

There are two advantages, well three really. First, the RG-11 has less loss than RG-6. Second, it usually weathers better than RG-6. Finally, you can't beat the price if you can get some from your local cable office- free!

It does have some drawbacks though. Its stiffer than RG-6, which makes it problematic to use on rotating antennas. The connectors are also pricey and tough to install. But, if your cable company really cares they'll offer to put them on for you. Mine felt bad that they couldn't install at my location so they practically threw it at me.
post #98 of 644 Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM

For those interested in WHIZ DT-40 in Zanesville, I've been in touch with chief engineer Dan Slentz who tells me that both analog 18 and digital 40 will be back up and running at full power on January 19 after an antenna refit.

WHIZ news article
http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=16703

Unfortunately, Dan tells me that initially the digital station will only send SD. But, he does hold out the prospect of having other networks on the subchannels.
post #99 of 644 Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For those interested in WHIZ DT-40 in Zanesville, I've been in touch with chief engineer Dan Slentz who tells me that both analog 18 and digital 40 will be back up and running at full power on January 19 after an antenna refit.

WHIZ news article
http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=16703

Unfortunately, Dan tells me that initially the digital station will only send SD. But, he does hold out the prospect of having other networks on the subchannels.

I never have been able to pick them up.

Tom
post #100 of 644 Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

I never have been able to pick them up.

I don't believe WHIZ DT40 ever has been on air. My understanding is that when the station installed the antenna, it was flawed in some way so that it could never be used. WHIZ 18 has been operation at reduced power for some time and will be at full strength after the new antenna is installed.
post #101 of 644 Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I don't believe WHIZ DT40 ever has been on air. My understanding is that when the station installed the antenna, it was flawed in some way so that it could never be used. WHIZ 18 has been operation at reduced power for some time and will be at full strength after the new antenna is installed.

No, WHIZ-DT ch 40 was on the air sometime back...I don't know when they first began or when they ceased operations...but I received them here in Canton rather frequently when reception conditions were "skipping" from that direction. At that time, there was no HD as I noticed Jay Leno was in SD. There were no subchannels either. They probably weren't at full power either but I'm not sure of that.

Thanks for posting the info, ab8jh! I will try to pick them up again after 1/19.
post #102 of 644 Old 01-21-2007, 05:59 PM

Hello everyone
I just installed a roof antenna and rotor to receive all the OTA channels including HD channels. At the moment I have caught 31 channels along with all the HD too. wow!
I have a hard time getting WTRF in Wheeling for some reason. Maybe they have a weak signal. Anyone else have this problem? Im new to this OTA stuff so any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
post #103 of 644 Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:

No, WHIZ-DT ch 40 was on the air sometime back...I don't know when they first began or when they ceased operations...but I received them here in Canton rather frequently when reception conditions were "skipping" from that direction. At that time, there was no HD as I noticed Jay Leno was in SD. There were no subchannels either. They probably weren't at full power either but I'm not sure of that.

Thanks for posting the info, ab8jh! I will try to pick them up again after 1/19.

Try tuning them in now! Not only is their digital channel up and running, but analog 18 is back to full strength. Its SD, and it has no PSIP or program guide info, but the color is good. I emailed their chief engineer and told him his picture looked pretty good on my five year old Sony Wega.
post #104 of 644 Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Try tuning them in now! Not only is their digital channel up and running, but analog 18 is back to full strength. Its SD, and it has no PSIP or program guide info, but the color is good. I emailed their chief engineer and told him his picture looked pretty good on my five year old Sony Wega.

What kind of power are they running?

Tom
post #105 of 644 Old 01-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I tried tuning them in a couple nights ago and was getting analog 18 with a fair signal and also the digital ch 40 was coming through steadily. Last night, ch 18 was still there a little snowier but the level on ch 40 was just below the level where it would lock. So reception of WHIZ-DT will probably remain about the same as it usually was for me...just being watchable when conditions are enhanced between here and there. Ch 18 will probably be more reliable since they changed the antenna and went to full power. I wonder if the digital channel is at the highest power they will be at or still reduced until the 2009 switch-over?
post #106 of 644 Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Location: Out in the Country, near Waverly WV... I'm 70+ Air Miles From the Charleston Towers...
WTRF is on low power for now, probiably won't go to high power untill the analog ch. 7 is gone.

The Senate voted to end over-the-air analog TV by Feb. 18, 2009, in a move to free up radio spectrum for broadband links.
post #107 of 644 Old 03-18-2007, 06:28 AM

Can anyone tell me where these channels are. I use a DirectTV-H20 for the OTA tuner/roof antenna.
3-1 WPSU
3-2 WPSU-DT
3-3 WPSU-..
6-1 WJAC
6-2 WJAC-DT
6-3 WJAC-SD
8-1 WWCP
8-2 WATM
post #108 of 644 Old 03-18-2007, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon4004 View Post

Can anyone tell me where these channels are. I use a DirectTV-H20 for the OTA tuner/roof antenna.
3-1 WPSU State College PA
3-2 WPSU-DT
3-3 WPSU-..
6-1 WJAC
6-2 WJAC-DT JOHNSTOWN, PA
6-3 WJAC-SD
8-1 WWCP JOHNSTOWN, PA
8-2 WATM

Hope this helps

Tom
post #109 of 644 Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info Tom
Im surprised that I can get stations that far away but I cant get Wheeling. Im in Steubenville.
post #110 of 644 Old 03-18-2007, 12:22 PM

Does anyone know if WTOV-DT has been on reduced power or having technical problems the last several days? I usually receive them with with good, steady strength but have been having big problems keeping them locked in during the past week. The signal strength meter on my LG receiver shows a lower level than usual. I'm anxious to know if it's them or perhaps I'm having an antenna problem?
post #111 of 644 Old 03-18-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the info Tom
Im surprised that I can get stations that far away but I cant get Wheeling. Im in Steubenville.

Wheeling signal is verry weak. They are not at full power yet.

Tom
post #112 of 644 Old 03-18-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does anyone know if WTOV-DT has been on reduced power or having technical problems the last several days? I usually receive them with with good, steady strength but have been having big problems keeping them locked in during the past week. The signal strength meter on my LG receiver shows a lower level than usual. I'm anxious to know if it's them or perhaps I'm having an antenna problem?

Not sure if they are having problems I am so close I can't really tell.

Tom
post #113 of 644 Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 PM

I emailed the engineer at WTOV-DT and he states that they are at their usual power. I am really puzzled as to what the problem is. Reception of everything else seems to be the same so I have no idea as to why WTOV-DT is so much weaker all of a sudden. I suppose it could be some kind of atmospheric quirk as they are higher in frequency (ch 57) than any other DT station I receive? Could the preamplifier be having problems with higher frequencies and not the lower ones? I'm not technically minded enough to know if that's a possibility.
post #114 of 644 Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info Tom

I'm surprised too especially since I live closer to those stations than you and can only receive WWCP out of that list.

WPSU's transmitter is located in Clearfield, WJAC's just northwest of Johnstown, and WWCP's is on the Westmoreland/Somerset County line southeast of Ligonier.
post #115 of 644 Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 PM

Gee, this forum has been dead since April! I guess nothing has been happening in the Wheeling/Steubenville/Cambridge areas. Has any one heard anything more re when WTRF-DT might be increasing their power? I've been keeping an eye on their website but there's never a mention of anything technical.
post #116 of 644 Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Still no word on WTRF.

Tom
post #117 of 644 Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Won't WTOV (9/57) have to change to a lower UHF channel in 2009? IIRC 57 is going to be reallocated.
post #118 of 644 Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yes,VHF 9

Tom
post #119 of 644 Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Groovy... then I will have four NBC digitals (WFMJ, WPXI and WJAC, also). Not certain what the usefulness of that is, but 90% of the time I get a gorgeous signal on WTOV. So, if the VHF DT channel is half as good, I'll get it most of the time too.
post #120 of 644 Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM

I live up on top of the hill in North Park in Wheeling and I am interested to see what channels I can pull in OTA. I am able to pull in some of the pittsburgh stations with a small indoor antenna that I plugged in outside for a test. Should I be able to get them all?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page