Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 622 Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

No increase in power noted here. There's been a fair amount of tropospheric enhancement lately so it probably was due to that. I've been getting several of the Pittsburgh/Johnstown PA and Columbus OH DT stations off and on over the past several days. From what I've read, they will not be increasing power until the 2/09 switchover as they plan to use the same antenna currently being used for analog. (The analog facilities on ch. 7 are presently operating at reduced power from an auxiliary transmitter following a failure of their primary transmitter. Reception of ch. 7 has been poor in this area for the past several months.) They're supposed to get their new digital transmitter etc. in October 08 and switch over to digital operation on ch. 7 on 2/17/09. This info is from FCC documents.

Why does WTRF broadcast the same shows on 7-2 and 7-3

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 622 Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

I was not aware that they were doing that....but then I haven't actually seen WTRF-DT in a long time owing to their puny signal. Even when enhanced reception is in from that direction, their signal usually stays below the level needed to lock it in. Last I knew they had Fox network on 7-2, not sure if I ever saw 7-3. I've noticed ch 22 in Pittsburgh has the same thing on both 22-1 and 22-2 with 22-1 having better picture quality. I don't know why they do this.
post #183 of 622 Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:

I've noticed ch 22 in Pittsburgh has the same thing on both 22-1 and 22-2 with 22-1 having better picture quality. I don't know why they do this.

WPMY used to broadcast The Tube on 22-2, then they put the SD version shortly after Sinclair dropped that network. The other member of the dupoly, WPGH, has had an SD simulcast on 53-2. WJAC in Johnstown has an SD simulcast on 6-3.

I heard one reason was to provide smaller cable companies, without a direct fiber connection from the station, a clean signal.
post #184 of 622 Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

Have you seen the announcements that WTRF-DT will add the ABC network on 7-3 beginning sometime in August? It's on their website and elsewhere.
post #185 of 622 Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

ABC FOR THE OHIO VALLEY: The Wheeling/Steubenville market is about to get what it has never, ever had - a full-time, in-market ABC affiliate station.

The folks at TVNewsday report that West Virginia Media CBS affiliate WTRF/7 Wheeling will launch a new ABC affiliate for the Ohio Valley on August 1, with a digital subchannel on WTRF-DT. That'd have to be, as the story indicates, WTRF-DT 7.3, as 7.2 is already taken by "FOX Ohio Valley".

The trade site quotes West Virginia Media president Bray Cary:

"Our new affiliations with the ABC Television Network in Clarksburg-Weston and Wheeling-Steubenville will expand the programming choice for our viewers, enabling them to enjoy the entire ABC Network schedule along with local news broadcasts produced specifically for these markets. This expansion of service with the Aug. 1 launch of WBOY-TV/D2 and WTRF-TV/D3 also creates important new advertising opportunities for our local station clients."

WBOY-TV is the company's NBC affiliate in the Clarksburg-Weston WV market, which is also adding a new ABC subchannel.

Until now, those living in the Ohio Valley have relied upon out of market ABC affiliates, like WTAE/4 Pittsburgh and WSYX/6 Columbus.

It won't be the first relatively new ABC affiliate serving Ohio viewers, as Metro Video's WLQP-LP/18 Lima switched from UPN to ABC, when the former network faded into the TV history books a couple of years ago.

But WTRF's effort will be on its main digital signal, which will put "ABC Ohio Valley" (or whatever they end up calling it) right next to the mothership CBS and existing FOX affiliate for digital viewers - a good spot to be over-the-air after the analog-to-digital transition kicks in next February...

Tom
post #186 of 622 Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 AM

Tom, you forgot to mention that what you posted is from the "Ohio Media Watch" website. He likes to be credited when we repost his blog information.
post #187 of 622 Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, this information was from Ohio Media Watch

Tom
post #188 of 622 Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Due to good tropo conditions last night, was able to see WTRF-DT for awhile. Noted that 7.3 was in operation with ABC programming so they must have started this prior to the announced 8/1 or perhaps was a test?
post #189 of 622 Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any word about probability of WTOV going up on DirecTV once D11 lights up in the fall?

I'm asking because(although I assume it was a lie) Mike Seachman Director of Operations suggested that WTOV was going to be available on Directv "soon". This information was included in his response to my letter complaining about WTOV not granting an HD DNS waiver despite the fact that they granted an SD DNS waiver.

I figure he was blowing smoke but thought I'd float the idea here.

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
post #190 of 622 Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budracin8 View Post

Any word about probability of WTOV going up on DirecTV once D11 lights up in the fall?

I'm asking because(although I assume it was a lie) Mike Seachman Director of Operations suggested that WTOV was going to be available on Directv "soon". This information was included in his response to my letter complaining about WTOV not granting an HD DNS waiver despite the fact that they granted an SD DNS waiver.

I figure he was blowing smoke but thought I'd float the idea here.

I haven't seen any mention of the Wheeling/Steubenville market yet but Directv keeps such information pretty hush-hush until they actually launch. The D-11 satellite has lots of capacity for LIL HD so it's entirely possible. As you probably know, they are testing D-11 transponders right now and it is suspected that at least some of the satellite's capacity will go into operation before fall.
post #191 of 622 Old 07-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen any mention of the Wheeling/Steubenville market yet but Directv keeps such information pretty hush-hush until they actually launch. The D-11 satellite has lots of capacity for LIL HD so it's entirely possible. As you probably know, they are testing D-11 transponders right now and it is suspected that at least some of the satellite's capacity will go into operation before fall.

Thanks for the reply. I figure that we wouldn't know about DMA 159 on Directv until it happens but thought I'd vent my frustration here. What irks me is that WTOV continues to lie about their rationale for not providing DNS waivers. If you aren't going to give a waiver at least say that you simply won't. I still won't like the answer but at least it will be honest. Don't say that you are in final talks to be on Directv (same thing they said in 2005) when it isn't probable.

Yes I have been following the D11 progress at DBStalk and happily look forward to all the new HD channels.

post #192 of 622 Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 AM

With the help of a new antenna. I was able to get analog WTRF this morning with a little snow from south Akron, Ohio. And on a side note WTOV was almost crystal clear. Is there that much difference between WTRF and WTOV?
post #193 of 622 Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff36 View Post

With the help of a new antenna. I was able to get analog WTRF this morning with a little snow from south Akron, Ohio. And on a side note WTOV was almost crystal clear. Is there that much difference between WTRF and WTOV?

An FCC document from many weeks ago stated that WTRF-TV analog is "operating at reduced power from an auxiliary transmitter used with the main antenna system following a failure of the primary transmitter." I think they are still at reduced power as my reception of them here in Canton remains poor. Their DT operation on ch 32 only pops through rarely when conditions are very good from that direction. I get great reception of WTOV analog on ch 9 and usually stable DT reception on ch 57. Both of them are slated to begin digital broadcasts on chs 7 and 9 after the switchover in 2/09. WTRF-DT currently remains at low power. Reception of distant analogs has been up and down a lot lately due to weather front induced tropo enhancement. Are you able to get WTOV-DT in Akron?
post #194 of 622 Old 07-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Yes I can get WTOV. Early morning and at night is very clear. And during the day it is snowy but watch able. I was hoping to get WTRF so I can watch the Steelers games.
BTW I live in the Portage Lakes area.
post #195 of 622 Old 07-26-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff36 View Post

Yes I can get WTOV. Early morning and at night is very clear. And during the day it is snowy but watch able. I was hoping to get WTRF so I can watch the Steelers games.
BTW I live in the Portage Lakes area.

You apparently misunderstood my question...I was asking if you receive WTOV-DT, their digital station on ch 57, not the analog ch 9. OK on living in the Portage Lakes area...I've been in that area many times...always thought it would be cool to have a home on one of the lakes.
post #196 of 622 Old 07-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Sorry. No I have never got the Digital WTOV. I have gooten some signal on Digital-WTRF but not enough to lock
post #197 of 622 Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 AM

I had another couple of questions. I was able to install a 190 mile VHF range and 100 mile UHF range antenna the other day. I can get 40-50 on the signal meter (Directv HR20) for WTOVDT. I can get 30-40 readings for KDKADT. I cannot get a signal for WTRF. I have read that they were at low power is this still true?

Also I noticed on Tv Fool that WTOV is listed as UHF now. This places them in the grey band due to very weak signal. TV Fool indicated that following the 2/09 transition WTOVDT will be VHF and the signal should be stronger falling into the yellow or red categories. Is this still accurate? Will they switch over to VHF sooner than 2/09? Any information would be appreciated.

post #198 of 622 Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Both WTRF and WTOV will be moving their digital broadcasts to their current analog channels (7 & 9) when they shutdown their analog transmitters. Of course, whether you'll be able to receive them or not depends on the reception conditions at your location. In other words, there needs to be an adequate signal available for your antenna to receive. If you're receiving a good picture on 7 and 9's analog signals with your current setup, you should be in good shape in 2009.
post #199 of 622 Old 08-26-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budracin8 View Post

I had another couple of questions. I was able to install a 190 mile VHF range and 100 mile UHF range antenna the other day. I can get 40-50 on the signal meter (Directv HR20) for WTOVDT. I can get 30-40 readings for KDKADT. I cannot get a signal for WTRF. I have read that they were at low power is this still true?

Also I noticed on Tv Fool that WTOV is listed as UHF now. This places them in the grey band due to very weak signal. TV Fool indicated that following the 2/09 transition WTOVDT will be VHF and the signal should be stronger falling into the yellow or red categories. Is this still accurate? Will they switch over to VHF sooner than 2/09? Any information would be appreciated.

Have you tried a preamp on your antenna? It might help to get signals up to a more usable level. I know the one I use here makes a big difference on distant signals. I know you're in a valley and consequently could also have problems with reflected signals. Do you have "ghosts" on your present ch 9 or ch 7 analog signals? Try moving the antenna very slowly and you may find a "sweet spot" where you get stronger or cleaner signals. As noted in some of my earlier postings, WTRF-DT is still on low power and will probably remain so until 2/17/09. WTOV-DT, according to FCC documents, will begin digital operations on ch 9 on 2/18/09 using 10.5 kw and go to 12 kw in July 2009 after "cannibalization" and "reconfiguration" work is completed on their existing ch 9 analog transmitter which they will then begin using. This would be approved under a "phased-in service" permit from the FCC. Hopefully, a signal on VHF ch 9 should get to you better than their present one on high UHF ch 57. The same would be true when WTRF-DT ch 32 goes to ch 7 on 2/17/09.
post #200 of 622 Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Have you tried a preamp on your antenna? It might help to get signals up to a more usable level. I know the one I use here makes a big difference on distant signals. I know you're in a valley and consequently could also have problems with reflected signals. Do you have "ghosts" on your present ch 9 or ch 7 analog signals? Try moving the antenna very slowly and you may find a "sweet spot" where you get stronger or cleaner signals. As noted in some of my earlier postings, WTRF-DT is still on low power and will probably remain so until 2/17/09. WTOV-DT, according to FCC documents, will begin digital operations on ch 9 on 2/18/09 using 10.5 kw and go to 12 kw in July 2009 after "cannibalization" and "reconfiguration" work is completed on their existing ch 9 analog transmitter which they will then begin using. This would be approved under a "phased-in service" permit from the FCC. Hopefully, a signal on VHF ch 9 should get to you better than their present one on high UHF ch 57. The same would be true when WTRF-DT ch 32 goes to ch 7 on 2/17/09.

I am actually able to receive WTOV DT with my antenna. I have occasional pixelation but it locked in when I put the antenna up and has been steady since. As far as WTRF DT I get no singal. I have read about their low power status, waivers from FCC to block signal strength tests, and side mount antenna (digital). I also know that in 2/09 they will have to turn off analog and switch to digital while also moving digital antenna from side mount to top mount. WTOV DT seems to be in the same position regarding antenna position. According to TV Fool both 7 and 9 should have stronger singals in 2009 due to VHF vs. UHF. I expect 7 will be fine once the conversion occurs.

Regarding "ghosting" I have none. As I said I'm picking up the digital signal for WTOV and it is crystal clear with occasional pixelation. Can't tell you about WTRF though as I have no signal. I considered a pre-amp but due to WTRF's very low power status I thought that I may just wait unil February and seen how things shape up.

post #201 of 622 Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I wish the Wheeling/Steubenville markets would be available on DirecTV and I would ditch Comcast here. They have the worst system. They are only on 550 system and bandwidth is full. We can't even get the Big Ten Network and Weirton WV can.

Tom
post #202 of 622 Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 PM

You and me both Fire, I'd love to ditch my OTA so I didn't have to worry about clutching onto D* hardware the has ATSC tuners build into the boxes.
post #203 of 622 Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM

can anyone tell me if wtrf is comming in on digital side yet in bethesda i install antennas around the co and wv every were i instala an antenna and a dtv converter the customer gets wtrf dt all the way to st.c then loydsville it drops out nothing beond that we get analog on rooftop but hardly with rabbit ears
post #204 of 622 Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalation man View Post

can anyone tell me if wtrf is comming in on digital side yet in bethesda i install antennas around the co and wv every were i instala an antenna and a dtv converter the customer gets wtrf dt all the way to st.c then loydsville it drops out nothing beond that we get analog on rooftop but hardly with rabbit ears

I believe my nephew who lives between Flushing and Morristown gets WTRF-DT. They have a roof-top antenna and are also on high ground there....(I think the highest in Belmont Co. as the 911 emergency transmitter is not far from them.)....so that probably makes a big difference. WTRF-DT will probably be quite problematic until they make their antenna and power changes mentioned in earlier posts here.
post #205 of 622 Old 09-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:

WTRF-DT will probably be quite problematical until they make their antenna and power changes mentioned in earlier posts here.

Agreed, I'm about 25 miles north and can't even get a sniff of a signal with them running on gnat power at this point. I'm hoping that when they get things fixed and changed over I'll be able to get their signal again.
post #206 of 622 Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I believe my nephew who lives between Flushing and Morristown gets WTRF-DT. They have a roof-top antenna and are also on high ground there....(I think the highest in Belmont Co. as the 911 emergency transmitter is not far from them.)....so that probably makes a big difference. WTRF-DT will probably be quite problematic until they make their antenna and power changes mentioned in earlier posts here.

Do you know of anybody that can acquire a signal for WTRF DT South of Wheeling? Flushing and Morriston are probably 10-20 miles from the transmitter in Bridgeport. I am in Shadyside only about 7 miles from Bridgeport but can't get a signal at all. Was thinking that the difference between getting a signal and not is where on the tower the digital antenna is located (since it's side mount and not a the top). It's possible that the tower and geography to the south of the tower are blocking the signal.

This situation is a PITA because I can't get CBS HD DNS on Directv (WTRF won't give me a waiver) and I can't pull in KDKA (too far). I can get WTOV DT though so i'm happy about that.

post #207 of 622 Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalation man View Post

i talked to bruce this morning he told me that they were switching transmitters in the next 3 days to boost the dtv signal so hopefully we will recieve wtrf full time on dtv we will see he said that woodsfield is getting it and cant understand why were not getting it in bethesda ohio 17 miles from the transmitter i treid getting ahold of him for 3 weeks i guess if u talk nasty to them they like it and return ur call lol the number for bruce is 304-232-7777
post #208 of 622 Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM

New transmitter in 3 days. Hopefully that is true but from some of the documents I reviewed on the internet WTRF wasn't expected to make significant changes until much closer to February. I guess it's possible something is actually ahead of schedule. Is Bruce the engineer?

post #209 of 622 Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Their "DTV Transition Plan" states: a. Transmission system:"The licensee has ordered a new transmitter and all related RF equipment required for the station's Channel 7 post digital operation, as well as a dual exciter system for back-up. The equipment is presently slated for delivery on Oct. 1, 2008. An outside contractor has been contacted to handle installation. b. "Antenna: The licensee intends to use the antenna currently used in the station's analog Channel 7 operation for the station's post-transition digital operation on Channel 7."

Maybe the new transmitter has arrived early and they're going to be testing it on ch 32 with the old antenna?.....apparently the main antenna can't be used until the analog is shut down in 2/09. Just an idea.....?
post #210 of 622 Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Their "DTV Transition Plan" states: a. Transmission system:"The licensee has ordered a new transmitter and all related RF equipment required for the station's Channel 7 post digital operation, as well as a dual exciter system for back-up. The equipment is presently slated for delivery on Oct. 1, 2008. An outside contractor has been contacted to handle installation. b. "Antenna: The licensee intends to use the antenna currently used in the station's analog Channel 7 operation for the station's post-transition digital operation on Channel 7."

Maybe the new transmitter has arrived early and they're going to be testing it on ch 32 with the old antenna?.....apparently the main antenna can't be used until the analog is shut down in 2/09. Just an idea.....?

I like that idea very much. Right now I can watch 3 big networks in HD (and record on my directv DVR) but CBS is only SD. If they can increase their signal I may be able to pick them up and have a full house of HD networks. Hope you're right.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page