post #271 of 8974 Old 11-22-2004, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Not yet..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8974 Old 11-22-2004, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by yaddayaddayadda
All channels seem to come in flawlessly except for WCCB. I don't understand how other channels in this general direction (WAXN, WSOC - even WUNG) come in perfectly but not WCCB?? I also don't understand how I seemed to get better reception from this antenna when it was inside, sitting on a speaker, than it is mounted outside?

Yes, strange indeed. Only a hunch, but everything seems to be pointing to an overdriven signal.
  • The problem signal is 1000 kW, and you get a station in the same location driven at 50 kW
  • Your antenna worked better at a 'worse' location

If you have an extra coax splitter around, you might just put that in to knock off a few dB (just don't connect one of the outputs). This assumes that the amp in your system isn't distorting the assumed powerful signal. Another option, but this means back onto the ladder, would be to try pointing away from WCCB. The problem with either of those two is you may fix WCCB and loose your weakest one WAXN (tongue biting here). So if one of these tests is successful, and you loose something you care about, then you need an attenuator for UHF 27. There's nothing else that's near the station's frequency here, so a crude one might work okay.

--Dale--
post #273 of 8974 Old 11-23-2004, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I'll have to give that a try. Another question - is it normal to lose all HD channels in a rain storm similar to what we've had last night/this AM?
post #274 of 8974 Old 11-23-2004, 09:40 AM

I am still having problems with WCCB on my HDTivo. I even get WAXN better. WCCB will be watchable most of the time, except when a Panthers game is broadcasting.
post #275 of 8974 Old 11-23-2004, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! I'll have to give that a try. Another question - is it normal to lose all HD channels in a rain storm similar to what we've had last night/this AM?

I wouldn't say so. If you're shooting through trees, you might loose a few percent, but that's about it. Maybe something on your outside antenna that shouldn't get wet got wet? I never had an issue with a little drizzle.

--Dale--
post #276 of 8974 Old 11-23-2004, 08:00 PM

That's what I'm beginning to think. The installers didn't put any silicone around the hole leading into the house they drilled - I also have one D* cable coming in from the same hole and my TiVo has been acting up.

sons of @#@#!@!$
post #277 of 8974 Old 12-04-2004, 07:18 PM

I have completely lost WCCB. I have had a constant strong signal over the past couple of years. Just in the last few months it went up and down. Now I get no signal at all. I even pulled out my old Samsung T-160, to see if something was wrong with my HDTivo. No signal on it either. What's up with this???
post #278 of 8974 Old 12-05-2004, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

JW, PM me your location and rceiver, antenna, etc.. All looked fine lat night
here at my house.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #279 of 8974 Old 12-05-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, strange indeed. Only a hunch, but everything seems to be pointing to an overdriven signal.

* The problem signal is 1000 kW, and you get a station in the same location driven at 50 kW
* Your antenna worked better at a 'worse' location

If you have an extra coax splitter around, you might just put that in to knock off a few dB (just don't connect one of the outputs). This assumes that the amp in your system isn't distorting the assumed powerful signal. Another option, but this means back onto the ladder, would be to try pointing away from WCCB. The problem with either of those two is you may fix WCCB and loose your weakest one WAXN (tongue biting here). So if one of these tests is successful, and you loose something you care about, then you need an attenuator for UHF 27. There's nothing else that's near the station's frequency here, so a crude one might work okay.

--Dale--

Well after 45 mins of fiddling outside - In came the square shooter, and for the first time in long time - I watched the panthers in HD glory! So I'll not question it. Antennas surely are a black art . So inside, I get all but the RH PBS station - not that I watched it anyway. All others are pristine.
post #280 of 8974 Old 12-07-2004, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anybody here regularly watch Enterprise on UPN D47 (when it's broadcast in HD)?

I have been recording "Enterprise" and watching it at a later time for over a year, and I do not remember even one time that it came through perfectly; it seems there is always a small segment missing. Those segments are usually short (10 seconds) and there's no sound and no picture. Then as suddenly as it quits, it comes back, as if nothing has happened. It's not a low signal because it's rock solid the whole time. And I can watch hours of the other shows on UPN without this effect.

Just curious of what might be going on. A guy in Seattle says he's not seen anything like what I'm describing, so it's apparently not a network issue.

--Dale--
post #281 of 8974 Old 12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess..knowing the location of the WJZY/WWWB studios..is that it's a momentary loss of the HD feed due to aircraft either blocking the satellite signal, or aircraft radar interference, as it is close to Cband satellite frequencies... We have that happen here regularly with our FOX News Channel and ABC Network feed with the dish mounted on the roof..If it's radar, there is a $500 filter that will help.

Bob

post #282 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Well after 45 mins of fiddling outside - In came the square shooter, and for the first time in long time - I watched the panthers in HD glory! So I'll not question it. Antennas surely are a black art . So inside, I get all but the RH PBS station - not that I watched it anyway. All others are pristine.

Interesting. I watched the game Sunday, as I do every sunday. Mine wasn't in HD, haven't seen an HD cats game in about 7 weeks. I realize that FOX's commercials state they are pushing 720, yada yada, but when they switch back to WCCB's coverage it's defiantely not HD. The alst two weeks the late games have been in HD and there is major difference.

So.. how'd you get them in HD? Did I miss something somewhere????

Thanks
post #283 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

All of the regular Panthers season games, with the exception of the Arizona game, have been HD. If you're not seeing HD, then you need to check your system setup. I watched the Saints game, it looked very good
here. No problems.

Bob

post #284 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can verify that the production trucks in New Orleans were HD trucks. They had the new Fox HD logos on them...

hh
post #285 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 10:59 AM

So why aren't they listed as HD? I'm looking at Titantv's listing (linked from WCCB's website) for this coming sunday. The Panthers game isn't listed as being in HD. Like I said, the 4:30 game this past sunday on FOX displayed the "In HD" scroller at the beginning, ran all the FOX HD promos, etc. The Panthers game had none of this. The promos during the Panthers game were even promoting the 4:30 game as a Special thing for Charlotte viewers because it would be in HD.

Not my equipment, maybe you guys are getting a different feed or I'm on the wrong channel or something but there is no way what's been on WCCB-DT the past few weeks has been HD. SD maybe, but not HD. Feel free to educate me, but when things are listed HD they look HD, when they aren't the don't. They make capture it HD but my argument is, I don't think WCCB is rebroadcasting it in HD. btw I'm in Charlotte.
post #286 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy4bass
there is no way what's been on WCCB-DT the past few weeks has been HD. SD maybe, but not HD. Feel free to educate me

Well, I guess you're the expert and would know!!

Bob

post #287 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 12:06 PM

Yeah, I guess smart ass comments get smart ass answers don't they?

Anyway, Im not arguing (well maybe a little), and I'm by no means an expert. Just curious that sometimes you see certain things and sometimes you don't, etc, etc. Maybe I just dont pay attention enough... Its curious though that nothing lists the broadcasts as being in HD (which we all know makes it law ). And either I'm missing it or the "In Hd" intro thingy isn't there. I'll pay more attention this week. Maybe it was that Arizona game that caught my attention and because none of the listing "say" HD I'm making an assumption.... go figure, wouldn't be the first time..

BTW: bdfox18doe, that you responding to my email to WCCB about this, this afternoon?
post #288 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi JW..Now 2+2 equals 4..Not meant as an SA comment..Hope my email answered your questions.!

Bob

post #289 of 8974 Old 12-09-2004, 12:55 PM

Yes, thanks a bunch for the info.....
post #290 of 8974 Old 12-10-2004, 05:11 AM

I'd say they're HD because
1) My TV displays what resolution its displaying. My set says the Panther's games are 1080i.

2) DD 5.1 sound

3) Fills my 61x9 tv without stretching.

4) I can count the blades of grass on the field rather than looking at a vague patch of green under the player's feet

5) I can tell when they switch from a SD camera feed to HD camera feed on the same broadcast

Of course, I'm uneducated as well I think TitanTV is just often not up to date on their listings of all the games. Just think of it as another example of no respect for the panthers. I'm following the 'if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, acts like a duck' logic method
post #291 of 8974 Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
[b]I'd say they're HD because
1) My set says the Panther's games are 1080i.

Except that they're 720p.....

Are you using an extenal tuner? Does your tv do 720p native?

Bob

post #292 of 8974 Old 12-10-2004, 06:27 AM

No, my mits' integrated tuner. It does not display 720p natively - it converts to 1080i.

Oh - and more evidence that I was watching HD - you could actually see the wet spot on the Saints player's uniform who peed himself on the sidelines
post #293 of 8974 Old 12-10-2004, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

yewwww...

Bob

post #294 of 8974 Old 12-10-2004, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bdfox18doe
Except that they're 720p.....

Bob, This might be a 'dumb question', but since we're all a bunch of yokals from Charlotte ;-) I figured maybe you could help me out here....

It would seem to me that 720p would be "better" than 1080i. Better in that it has more information because each scan line is "unique", as opposed to 1080i, where you have 540 unique, and the other 540 just a copy of the adjacent one. Is that right?

Then to complicate things, as we see from yada, many TV's display at 1080i. Would you consider that a down-rez? Curious minds...

--Dale--
post #295 of 8974 Old 12-10-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Dale, that is the $64 question, and I won't get into the 720p vs 1080i
debate, as there is an excellent thread debating that here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=478736

I don't think it is as simple as 720p vs 1080i, as not all tuners and monitors are the same. Some sets do a better job at cross converting than others.
Some sets have better native pictures than others. There are camera and feed issues that complicate the mix. Enocder and multiplexor setups can affect the end result as well. There are way too many variables IMHO to
outright say one is better than the other unless compared under carefully
controlled conditions.

Bob

post #296 of 8974 Old 12-11-2004, 01:13 PM

I, for one, can understand why crazy4bass is slightly confused. A couple of weeks, I had to check to be sure that I was watching in High Def. FOX-HD picture quality just isn't as good as ESPN-HD, CBS-HD, or MNF on ABC-HD. FOX-HD just doesn't have quite as sharp a picture as the others mentioned. The WOW factor just isn't there. FOX'S 5.1 sound is usually very good though. Nonetheless, I appreciate FOX's effort to broadcast so many HD games. And, I think their picture quality willl improve with time. Just my .02 worth!
post #297 of 8974 Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM

It's funny you say that - because I find just the opposite. I think Fox is always better than CBS. About tied with MNF on ABC.
post #298 of 8974 Old 12-12-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm getting reader to watch Panthers game (Minnesota is playing now) and the announcers JUST started talking. The game has been running for quite a while. Was that a network glitch or what?

--Dale--
post #299 of 8974 Old 12-12-2004, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure you weren't on the SAP audio? It has no announce..All was fine here
up until I left at 230pm..

Did watch the Panthers game..no shimmering grass, tho there was some cheerleader shaking..the picture was incredible and the surround was awesome..But it should be that way seated in the stadium..How was it on TV?

Bob

post #300 of 8974 Old 12-13-2004, 04:16 AM

Quote:

Did watch the Panthers game..no shimmering grass, tho there was some cheerleader shaking..the picture was incredible and the surround was awesome..But it should be that way seated in the stadium..How was it on TV?

Just as good. Except I didn't pay $6 per beer
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page