Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #451 of 8185 Old 04-27-2005, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bookworm, I had to re-scan on the Dish 6000 to get WBT-HD back, and even that didn't work until last night.

Try now, and if you don't have success, try an e-mail to viewerservices@wbtv.com

Perhaps they can lend a hand. I have found them to be responsive in the past.

Regards - Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8185 Old 05-02-2005, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Anyone else experience a bunch of audio dropouts during "24" tonight?

(watched via HD-Tivo recording)
post #453 of 8185 Old 05-02-2005, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
hmmm..
haven't changed anything or had any problems...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #454 of 8185 Old 05-10-2005, 11:41 AM

I've been having wicked dropouts for the past couple of weeks on FOX and ABC via HDTiVo. I'm afraid it's due to the leaves coming in on the trees. I moved into my new house in January and haven't had any problems until lately. CBS and NBC come in fine - I guess I have a clearer shot to those towers (BTW I'm in Corneilus, North Meck). It's been driving my wife crazy when we try to watch 24 and LOST. We've been watching in (shudder) SD for the past few weeks.

I need HD LIL's (and a MPEG-4 HDTivo)!
post #455 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by WallyBR
I've been having wicked dropouts for the past couple of weeks on FOX and ABC

Need to more about your antenna setup there, wally!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #456 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 PM

Hey to all, I am new to HDTV and these forums. I had a Toshiba 57H94 delivered yesterday, and am thrilled so far (as far as watching progressive scan DVD's). I am just south of Charlotte in Fort Mill about 3 miles from 49 and 160 intersection. Any recommendations on a particular brand/model of medium range directional antenna I could tryout with the internal HD tuner on my set. I plan on mounting to my chimney/roof. (as recommended by antennaweb.org)
post #457 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting comments regarding day vs. night reception. I usually have problems in the p.m., if problems exist. I think it is increased multipath at night...but reception has stablized to a great extent in the past three weeks. I can get several Charlotte DT signals from Asheville during most daytime hours, but never in the p.m.

JB - Asheville

post #458 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sbinsc
Hey to all, I am new to HDTV and these forums. I had a Toshiba 57H94 delivered yesterday, and am thrilled so far (as far as watching progressive scan DVD's). I am just south of Charlotte in Fort Mill about 3 miles from 49 and 160 intersection. Any recommendations on a particular brand/model of medium range directional antenna I could tryout with the internal HD tuner on my set. I plan on mounting to my chimney/roof. (as recommended by antennaweb.org)

I live about 3 miles from 49 & 160 (maybe in a different direction) - but if you want to temporarily experiment with a Radio Shack Double Bowtie ($15) antenna, I got one you could try. That's what I used before I put up my outdoor antenna. Picked up both Charlotte towers without having to move it back & forth (except for a couple times where it seemed like the signals were hinkey for some reason).

For a permanent installation, I'd go with a CM4221. If you add a rotor, you'll also get some Columbia & Greenville stations.
post #459 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by WallyBR
I've been having wicked dropouts for the past couple of weeks on FOX and ABC via HDTiVo. I'm afraid it's due to the leaves coming in on the trees. I moved into my new house in January and haven't had any problems until lately. CBS and NBC come in fine - I guess I have a clearer shot to those towers (BTW I'm in Corneilus, North Meck). It's been driving my wife crazy when we try to watch 24 and LOST. We've been watching in (shudder) SD for the past few weeks.

I need HD LIL's (and a MPEG-4 HDTivo)!

I'm having audio dropouts (maybe a dozen an hour for a sec or two) on all FOX primetime programming via HD-Tivo. Not having the same issue with other tuners.

You'll likely be waiting for quite a while (unless D* buys Tivo) for an MPEG4 HD-Tivo. You'll have an MPEG4 HD-DVR option fairly soon though.
post #460 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CPanther95
it seemed like the signals were hinkey..

Is that a technical term??

"having audio dropouts (maybe a dozen an hour for a sec or two) on all FOX primetime programming via HD-Tivo"

Yep I've heard of that one..

Bob

post #461 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 PM

[quote]Originally posted by CPanther95
[b]I'm having audio dropouts (maybe a dozen an hour for a sec or two) on all FOX primetime programming via HD-Tivo. Not having the same issue with other tuners.

QUOTE]

I'm with you. I've been having the same dropout issues on Fox HD via the 8300HD. I'm located in Waxhaw running through TW Monroe. Anyone else having these issues?
post #462 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 04:55 PM

Bob:

Any chance of getting a fiber run to my house? I'll be happy to uplink to D* when HDLILs come to town (at their expense, of course)

Although, that probably wouldn't solve the Tivo issue.
post #463 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

funny you should ask..currently, that is one of the items on the table!
check your pm..

Bob

post #464 of 8185 Old 05-11-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CPanther95
I live about 3 miles from 49 & 160 (maybe in a different direction) - but if you want to temporarily experiment with a Radio Shack Double Bowtie ($15) antenna, I got one you could try. That's what I used before I put up my outdoor antenna. Picked up both Charlotte towers without having to move it back & forth (except for a couple times where it seemed like the signals were hinkey for some reason).

For a permanent installation, I'd go with a CM4221. If you add a rotor, you'll also get some Columbia & Greenville stations.

Cpanter, I appreciate the offer, but my TV is in my basement (a true under ground job), and I have already tried an indoor antenna, with not so good results. I will look into the CM4221, it would be nice to pull in some stations from Greenville and Columbia.
post #465 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 11:13 AM

Hey bdfox18doe,

I'm in zipcode 28031 off of Washam-Potts Rd (tower at 158 degrees, 15.7 miles). My antennas is an AntennasDirect DB4 mounted in my attic as high as possible in the rafters of a 2-story house. I've had pretty much flawless reception since I installed it in January until the past few weeks. Actually, LOST came in with only one short dropout last night, while AI was in and out about 25% of the time.
post #466 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 PM

Cpanther (and others) well, I got curios what I could pull in with a little indoor antenna I had laying around, so I dug out a spool of RG6 cable I had and ran it all thru the basement, up the stairs, and out to the back deck. I attached a little antenna to it, and what do you know, I got 3-1, 9-1, 18-1, 36-1, 42-1, 42-5, and 46-1. I was quite pleased, the picture on the Tosh 57H94 is excellent. (I really have no real complaints with the SD signal on Comporium cable either). I moved the antenna around a bit and was able to get 55-1. I will be hunting to a little outdoor roof/chimney mountable this weekend. Does anyone know if the CM 4221 is available locally?
post #467 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

The internet is your best bet for the CM antennas...based on price. (And, the CM bow-tie antennas have proven very effective.)

JB - Asheville

post #468 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 01:10 PM

SB - Other than Radio Shack, I've found antennas scarce in Charlotte area. You can find pretty much what you want on the web. I've used Stark Electronics http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm with good results.

I'm using a CM4248 that I got from Stark, but it is high directional, and from where I'm located, I have to use a rotator to swing the antenna back and forth between two positions from which I'm able to get all locals YMMV.

Do a search on this thread for Square Shooter. This antenna is a bit more expensive, but does not need a rotator. Some in our area have had very good results with it. Good luck.

Regards - Gene
post #469 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
"having audio dropouts (maybe a dozen an hour for a sec or two) on all FOX primetime programming via HD-Tivo"

Yep I've heard of that one..

Bob, You've heard of that one. What have you heard? That the tuner in the HD-Tivo is problematic for FOX data stream, or what? There's been some tooth enamel-loss over in the MyHD threads about FOX, but I haven't experienced it myself (but then again, I'm not watching much TV at all).

--Dale--
post #470 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sporadic reports from those I know about that particular box having problems in many areas.

Bob

post #471 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

With all the storms the past few days..this is a good time to remind those of you out there without a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) on your HDTV's and receivers to get one. It's the best money you will spend, especially if you have an RPTV like I do..brief power hits will kill the lamp
very quickly. Keep an eye on the compusa, officemax, or staples sunday
flyer for good deals on a UPS.

Bob

post #472 of 8185 Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jmccurrytech

(snip)
42-1 WTVI-DT 90%
(snip)
58-1 WUNG-DT 85%
(snip)
I've come to the conclusion WSOC, WAXN, and WCCB just wont come in.

Thanks for posting your numbers. You're getting a boatload of stations there!

There must be a metal tree trunk between you and the WCCB and WSOC towers ;-) because WUNG is farther away from you, and weaker. WTVI is also farther away, but that one is VHF, so I don't know that it's apples to apples.

By the way, that picture came from the FCC site combined with gpsvisualizer.com . Ten minutes later, you're looking at it. Ain't the Internet wonderful?

--Dale--
post #473 of 8185 Old 05-15-2005, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've posted about problems recently with ER in the TWC thread but I'm wondering if I can get some info. from you OTA folks. Last Thursday's ER came through on TWC channel 220, which is the digital channel, with sound but no picture for the first 40 minutes of the program. This was confirmed by another member in the TWC thread but I'm curious if any of the OTA viewers had the same difficulties. I'm trying to determine if the fault was with WCNC or TW's broadcast of the digital feed. I had a similar problem with Numbers on Friday night on the digital channel. It came through with video and the background sounds but no dialogue, strange huh? Also Joey on Thursday had very loud background sound and low volume for the dialogue. All these shows are being viewed on the 8300 DVR so the point of this rambling post is to affix blame in the proper place.
post #474 of 8185 Old 05-16-2005, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bookworm
...the point of this rambling post is to affix blame in the proper place.

Ha! Yes, I've been there. All of these analog TV guys dragged kicking and screaming into the age of digital (except for Bob, of course) gives us a sort of Wild West of digital datastreams. Us folks that were born digital hear about the software patches needed at the station and just nod and say yup, I've had 'em breathing down my neck (on and off) like that for 20 years. Of course this gets you no closer to finding the culpret, since I don't schedule any of those shows, but that gives me an idea. What if I made a web site where you could select the channel, and if my capture schedule was open, it would record a few minutes. If I was retired, I'd do it, but I'm far to busy replying to posts on AVS Forum to do anything productive. ;-)

--Dale--
post #475 of 8185 Old 05-21-2005, 06:59 AM

Bob:

Any word on the HD-Tivo issues with FOX? It seems to be getting worse. The last House & 24 were a mess. I know you'll hate to hear this, but if it keeps up, I'll be forced to watch live instead and suffer through the commercials.

Is that the master plan?
post #476 of 8185 Old 05-21-2005, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It's more of an STB issue than with the stream...

Bob

post #477 of 8185 Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 AM

Still no one using a Silver Sensor antenna to get HD?? I'm finally moving there in 2 weeks and I'm hoping that my indoor antenna will do the trick. THANKS
post #478 of 8185 Old 05-23-2005, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The last House & 24 were a mess. I know you'll hate to hear this, but if it keeps up, I'll be forced to watch live instead and suffer through the commercials.

If I were to schedule the next "24" to record with my HD-Tivo-like device, what would I be looking for, specifically. I could tell you if it has the same effect on mine.

--Dale--

Edit: Maybe not. TitanTV reports no HD programming on FOX (OTA) for the next 7 days. Is that right?
post #479 of 8185 Old 05-23-2005, 07:55 PM

Liked: 11
fsquid, Im using a silver sensor for some channels, but its located outside. Indoors it doesnt pickup very well. I get a few locals, the ones less than 20 miles from me.
post #480 of 8185 Old 05-24-2005, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

If I were to schedule the next "24" to record with my HD-Tivo-like device, what would I be looking for, specifically. I could tell you if it has the same effect on mine.

You can't miss the frequent audio dropouts. It must be a Hughes issue - watched the finale "live" in the theater on an HTL-HD and also had audio dropouts.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page