Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #721 of 9069 Old 01-18-2006, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using the $50.00 Rat shack amplified HDTV antenna. My only problem channel is FOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9069 Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoode View Post

I am using the $50.00 Rat shack amplified HDTV antenna. My only problem channel is FOX

I just put in a DB2 in my living room, sitting on top of my entertainment console/cabinet. I, too, am only having trouble with FOX (and the others that broadcast from that area -- NC PBS, etc). No troubles at all w/ NBC/CBS/ABC.

I'm in Rock Hill (south of the city).

I'd rather not deal w/ running wire to the attic....
post #723 of 9069 Old 01-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Does anyone in the Charlotte area have an outdoor antenna to pick up locals not from Charlotte? I have a silver sensor indoor and pick up all Charlotte channels except WTVI 42. Occasionally, I can pick up 2-1 from Greensboro. I've been thinking of buying an outdoor antenna and any advise and what channels you can pick up would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #724 of 9069 Old 01-20-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooper185 View Post

I just put in a DB2 in my living room, sitting on top of my entertainment console/cabinet. I, too, am only having trouble with FOX (and the others that broadcast from that area -- NC PBS, etc). No troubles at all w/ NBC/CBS/ABC.

I'm in Rock Hill (south of the city).

I'd rather not deal w/ running wire to the attic....

I would like to know if anyone in South Charlotte is getting Fox with an Indoor anttenna? I dont want to buy an antenna just for one channel.
post #725 of 9069 Old 01-20-2006, 05:21 AM

FWIW, I live in Rock Hill - I have a winegard Square Shooter indoors, and previously had a silver sensor - WCCB is one of the better channels I get on a consistent basis. My problem channels are WBTV/WB/UPN
post #726 of 9069 Old 01-20-2006, 05:55 AM

I'm in Monroe and get FOX with an indoor Silver Sensor.
post #727 of 9069 Old 01-20-2006, 05:57 AM

Can i pick up a Silver Sensor locally?
post #728 of 9069 Old 01-20-2006, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Reliable reception with an indoor antenna is a crap shoot at best, for best results it needs to be in the attic or outdoor..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #729 of 9069 Old 01-20-2006, 09:00 PM

Sears used to sell it, but I couldn't find one recently for my parents and had to order it online. I ended up buying them an RCA amplified one which works pretty good on top of their tv.
post #730 of 9069 Old 01-21-2006, 04:32 AM

thanks for feedback. agree that some channels come in clearer that others. according to antennaweb, there are two sites for the broadcast towers--60 degrees apart. could it be that at 60 degrees apart requires two antennas for optimal reception?
post #731 of 9069 Old 01-21-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withmere View Post

thanks for feedback. agree that some channels come in clearer that others. according to antennaweb, there are two sites for the broadcast towers--60 degrees apart. could it be that at 60 degrees apart requires two antennas for optimal reception?

You'd be better off with a single antenna, because with two, you have to combine them, and that can lead to trouble (1 + 1 != 2). Choose an antenna that's not highly directional, of course. Yagi's are more directional than bow-ties, so you'd go for the latter. I doubt the square shooter is very directional based on it's geometry, but I've never seen the specs.

--Dale--
post #732 of 9069 Old 01-22-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is it just my tuner, or did we loose foreground audio on the playoff game?
post #733 of 9069 Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't see/hear any problems..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #734 of 9069 Old 01-23-2006, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I didn't see/hear any problems..

I was watching OTA and after my post, it didn't have any commentary on my set, that's for sure. Crowd noise and the refs were clear as a bell, but no commentary. Oh, of course the commercials came through loud and clear ;-). Maybe my system was not handling the sound correctly. But I'm surprised that the sound for the commentary is on a separate in channel within the transport stream. I mean, that would have to be the case if it were my system to blame, right?

--Dale--
post #735 of 9069 Old 01-23-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you were on 18-2, or on 18-1 with the 2nd audio pid selected..that would produce the effect you describe.. Most FOX sport events have the audio sans announcers on the 2nd audio pid, unless spanish voice over is being provided, as is with baseball..I watched most of the game OTA and didn't see or hear any problems..

FYI. you can "hear" the same thing on analog 18 by switching to SAP..

Bob

post #736 of 9069 Old 01-31-2006, 05:07 AM

Not that it will affect many who post in this thread - but the other Comporium thread seems to be gone (what with its three posts and all )

Comporium is losing their WCNC-DT feed:
Quote:

Comporium digital cable customers no longer will be able to view NBC programming in high definition.

The Rock Hill-based company and WCNC-TV were unable to reach an agreement to continue 20 hours a week of high-definition television for Comporium's HDTV package customers.

The Charlotte NBC affiliate wanted to charge a monthly fee that would cost customers about $5 more per month, said Glenn McFadden, Comporium Communication's executive vice president of operations.

"HD is provided free over broadcast channels," he said Monday. "We don't want to charge our customers for it."

Full Story
post #737 of 9069 Old 02-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Up here in Winston Salem I'm having a problem with WSOC's PSIP information. My Accurian receiver finds Channel 6 on UHF 34, but won't reroute the signal to Channel 6. No program info shows up or anything. The only way I know it's Channel 6 is from their local commercials and news. It's too bad since 6 comes in better than any of the other Charlotte stations I get. And since they pass true 5.1 DD, I'll be watching them for the Super Bowl and not WXLV. Anyone else with this problem?
post #738 of 9069 Old 02-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mr 12...

WSOC-TV is analog channel 9.

t123
post #739 of 9069 Old 02-04-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR12 View Post

Up here in Winston Salem I'm having a problem with WSOC's PSIP information. ?

Looking at WSOC's transport stream, I don't see anything wrong with their PSIP..

Bob

post #740 of 9069 Old 02-04-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Up here in Winston Salem I'm having a problem with WSOC's PSIP information. My Accurian receiver finds Channel 6 on UHF 34, but won't reroute the signal to Channel 6. No program info shows up or anything. Anyone else with this problem?

No problems with WSOC-DT on my Accurian.
post #741 of 9069 Old 02-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4fw View Post

No problems with WSOC-DT on my Accurian.

Any idea then why my Accurian won't decode their PSIP info? The signal is crystal clear...in the 80's. I get few dropouts and it still won't decode properly. I'm curious what subchannels they send also.
post #742 of 9069 Old 02-06-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post

Mr 12...

WSOC-TV is analog channel 9.

t123

Correct. I meant 9.
post #743 of 9069 Old 02-06-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

WSOC generally does a good job with their HD..they run one sub-channel, with weather radar, no audio tho..

try scanning again, it is possible they had a problem at the time you scanned but have now corrected it..

Bob

post #744 of 9069 Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Any idea then why my Accurian won't decode their PSIP info? The signal is crystal clear...in the 80's. I get few dropouts and it still won't decode properly. I'm curious what subchannels they send also.

Ch-34 on my Accurian maps to 9-1 (WSOC-HD, regular programming) and 9-2 (WSOC-DT, weather radar). Program info and EPG appear to be normal. As Bob suggested, you might try rescanning.
post #745 of 9069 Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4fw View Post

Ch-34 on my Accurian maps to 9-1 (WSOC-HD, regular programming) and 9-2 (WSOC-DT, weather radar). Program info and EPG appear to be normal. As Bob suggested, you might try rescanning.

Thanks, the rescan did the trick. Now everything is working properly.
post #746 of 9069 Old 02-10-2006, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Please contact WCNC and ask them to fix their horrible HD Olympics delivery. Sound was awful, macroblocking was typically (for WCNC) bad. Without multiple complaints, they'll give the standard "must be your equipment" reply.
post #747 of 9069 Old 02-11-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Please contact WCNC and ask them to fix their horrible HD Olympics delivery. Sound was awful, macroblocking was typically (for WCNC) bad. Without multiple complaints, they'll give the standard "must be your equipment" reply.

I work for WCNC.

We rebroadcast the signal that NBC gives us. If there's a problem with it, all we can do is complain to the network.

The audio problem was an issue on NBC's end. We contacted the network about it last night and they actually responded by finding a problem and correcting it. I personally feel like their surround mix at some of the events was still bad, even this morning, but I'm watching the evening feed right now and it is definitely improved.

On a side note, we care just as much about putting out a good HD signal as you guys do. We never just tell people 'It must be your equipment' without being sure that we are not having a problem. Our HD signal is constantly monitored along with our analog signal all day long.
post #748 of 9069 Old 02-12-2006, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Welcome to the forum Igloo.

The standard response of "it must be your equipment" is what I get whenever I contact WBTV, I've never been able to receive a response from WCNC regarding HDTV.

There were some areas of the country that didn't have the audio issue during the opening ceremony, but many that did. Yesterday the audio was fine (except for when the network feed went out), as it is today.

If you are going to stay around here there's a number of issues we'd love to see addressed:

1) At what level do you cap the bandwidth that Weather Plus can consume?
2) Is it necessary to place the "You are watching surface (etc) on nbc" on your digital feed since it requires dropping to SD during programming, then a hard switch to HD with the associated "pops" from our receivers?
post #749 of 9069 Old 02-12-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The standard response of "it must be your equipment" is what I get whenever I contact WBTV, I've never been able to receive a response from WCNC regarding HDTV.

If you ever want to speak to an engineer, just call the station's main number and ask for the engineering department. They should direct you there with technical questions anyway.

Quote:

Yesterday the audio was fine (except for when the network feed went out), as it is today.

Yeah, the snowstorm in NY caused rainfade on the network signal. There is a cband backup we can switch to for the analog signal, but no such deal for HDTV.

Quote:

1) At what level do you cap the bandwidth that Weather Plus can consume?

To tell you the truth, I don't know the exact answer to that, but I can find out tomorrow morning. I do know that we run the bandwidth on weather plus pretty low, and we get a pretty good picture considering.

Quote:

2) Is it necessary to place the "You are watching surface (etc) on nbc" on your digital feed since it requires dropping to SD during programming, then a hard switch to HD with the associated "pops" from our receivers?

Those snipes are embedded in the NBC feed. I think what you are probably seeing is the switchback from analog to HD after one of our local commercial breaks. When we go to local break during an HD program, we drop out of the NBC HD feed to our upconverted master control feed, then back when it's over. This used to be done manually by the master control operator.

We recently changed it so that the switch is done by GPI triggers on our commercial playback system. When the break is over, a GPI is triggered and the switch occurs. The problem is, a lot of our breaks end with ID spots that have pad in them.. in other words, the spot is 10 seconds long even though you only see 5 seconds of it on air. Because of this, the switch can sometimes happen a few seconds late. That's probably too long of an explanation, but I think that's probably what you're seeing.
post #750 of 9069 Old 02-12-2006, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Igloo,
tell Virginia "Hey" for me... :>)

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page