Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #7891 of 8826 Old 06-07-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I see, but the point, at least when I speak of TV reception and recommendations, would be "reliable" reception. Of course if people want to experiment then have at it. My original content was that in the GSP area, I didn't know why anyone would go through the trouble, time & expense to receive WSOC when WLOS would be much easier as the ABC affiliate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 8826 Old 06-07-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
WSOC is not a reliable option in most of the Upstate. Except parts of Spartanburg. The Dallas signals reach further west into Greenville. But you are correct WLOS is the designated affiliate. But their signal pattern is a bit problematic in parts of the Upstate and Western NC, although with a good antenna such as the HBU-33 it is feasible. And WSOC can even be received in parts of the Asheville area due to the high elevation if you are on the right side of the mountain.
post #7893 of 8826 Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

I see, but the point, at least when I speak of TV reception and recommendations, would be "reliable" reception. Of course if people want to experiment then have at it. My original content was that in the GSP area, I didn't know why anyone would go through the trouble, time & expense to receive WSOC when WLOS would be much easier as the ABC affiliate.

Besides, wouldn't WLOS be more enjoyable because it would provide a glimpse of Asheville culture? Is WLOS down with the Asheville vibe?

post #7894 of 8826 Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

Besides, wouldn't WLOS be more enjoyable because it would provide a glimpse of Asheville culture? Is WLOS down with the Asheville vibe?
Most folks in Upstate SC watch WYFF-4, WSPA-7, and WHNS-21 for news. But for Asheville coverage, then WLOS-13 is indeed of interest. But I prefer to watch WSOC when I can, or WBTV, as I grew up viewing the Charlotte newscasts.
post #7895 of 8826 Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Most folks in Upstate SC watch WYFF-4, WSPA-7, and WHNS-21 for news. But for Asheville coverage, then WLOS-13 is indeed of interest. But I prefer to watch WSOC when I can, or WBTV, as I grew up viewing the Charlotte newscasts.

I remember when WLOS used to have newsrooms in Greenville, SC back in the 1970s-1980s I think. I know WLOS 13 focuses on North Carolina news, they do Upstate SC news recently when Evan Donovan did reports.

Speaking on WSPA's sister stations like WJBF in Augusta, GA they still use the 2007-era MG graphics, while WCBD in Charleston, SC (and WAGT which owned by Schurz which WJBF has SSAs) still uses the 2012 MG graphics, while WSPA upgraded it to newer 2014 graphics.

When I was a little kid, I used to watch some of WBTV 3 from the late 1980s when they had the Red/Gold 3 logo and Bob Inman was still there, and Paul Cameron was young. Also, Sarah James (now as an Australian correspondent for NBC News) got her start at WBTV.

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)
post #7896 of 8826 Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
WSOC / WAXN bit rate test will be done closed loop and will not be broadcast over the air.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #7897 of 8826 Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
 Sarah James (now as an Australian correspondent for NBC News) got her start at WBTV.

Sarah was at WWBT in Richmond before she came to WBTV back when I was there. IIRC she started elsewhere before WWBT.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7898 of 8826 Old 06-08-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
According to NBCNews dot com she worked at WTVA in Tupelo, Miss before WWBT...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3949094/ns/dateline_nbc/t/sara-james/#.U5TyxLEhGAo
post #7899 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post

According to NBCNews dot com she worked at WTVA in Tupelo, Miss before WWBT...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3949094/ns/dateline_nbc/t/sara-james/#.U5TyxLEhGAo

I know that Tupelo, MS (birthplace of the late Elvis Presley) is a short-market just like Myrtle Beach, SC used to be until NBC station WMBF signed on in August 2008 in time for the Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. Short-market is a market that lacks a major network or two (like a market lacking ABC or ABC and CBS for example).

Charlotte, Savannah, Columbia, MB/Florence, Charleston, and Augusta used to have secondary affiliates of Big 3 networks (because they lack one or two stations then), but Greenville, SC market had 3 stations also big 3 stations always full-fledged before and by 1956 when (WFBC now WYFF signed on as NBC in 1953, WLOS signed on as ABC in 1954, and WSPA signed on as CBS in 1956). Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville have been lucky than adjacent Charlotte, Columbia, or Augusta DMAs.

Spencer Karter

post #7900 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I remember when WLOS used to have newsrooms in Greenville, SC back in the 1970s-1980s I think. I know WLOS 13 focuses on North Carolina news, they do Upstate SC news recently when Evan Donovan did reports.

Speaking on WSPA's sister stations like WJBF in Augusta, GA they still use the 2007-era MG graphics, while WCBD in Charleston, SC (and WAGT which owned by Schurz which WJBF has SSAs) still uses the 2012 MG graphics, while WSPA upgraded it to newer 2014 graphics.

When I was a little kid, I used to watch some of WBTV 3 from the late 1980s when they had the Red/Gold 3 logo and Bob Inman was still there, and Paul Cameron was young. Also, Sarah James (now as an Australian correspondent for NBC News) got her start at WBTV.
I did not realize you could receive WBTV-3 in Greenwood during the analog era. But I could receive it on and around the campus of Furman University with rabbit ears in the late 80's. On a 19 inch Zenith TV. And I used a UHF double bow tie from Radioshack to get WJZY-46 and WCNC-36 which had just built their Dallas towers. But I wonder if you could get WBTV's digital signal in Greenwood today? I would think you are just beyond the reception area. Although with a 91XG and a good preamp it may come in sometimes.
post #7901 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM

On the Movies! subchannel, I've read in this section where this person enjoyed watching that subchannel and stations from other markets like Boston and Atlanta on FilmOnX before they were forced to stop streaming the feeds due to an injunction by 4th Circuit Court Judge and you can thank TPTB at the corrupted National Association of Broadcasters (aka The NAB) for this. One good thing about FilmOnX before they stopped streaming the feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX by 4th Circuit Court, I did enjoyed watching the Washington, DC feeds mostly and last year CBS station WUSA-TV 9 locally preempted a CBS Sporting Event for the Washington Nationals baseball game. I hate to say it....Good things don't last permanent. I've found out that WUSA (then WTOP/WDVM) preempted The Price is Right during the early years of the Bob Barker era in the 1970s-80s.

On the ongoing case at The United States Supreme Court (ABC, Inc. VS. Aereo) if the broadcasters win, heck will break loose and cord-cutters won't be pleased, I bet people protesting outside the NAB's HQ in Washington, DC or other, or if Aereo wins, the meanies at the NAB, and CBS' CEO Les Moonves (the dude who was responsible for the controversial cancellations of their beloved soap operas Guiding Light in 2009, and As The World Turns in 2010) wouldn't be pleased.

My advice, never trust the NAB! wink.gif

Spencer Karter

post #7902 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought Movies! subchannel would be carried by WJZY, since they are FOX owned. But maybe they wait for previous contracts to expire. But I hope they keep Antenna TV on 46 or 55. Meanwhile, I wonder if Gannett will continue with Live Well on WCNC or add Weather Nation or Cozi TV. I hear the Live Well is being dropped by ABC stations.
post #7903 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I thought Movies! subchannel would be carried by WJZY, since they are FOX owned. But maybe they wait for previous contracts to expire. But I hope they keep Antenna TV on 46 or 55. Meanwhile, I wonder if Gannett will continue with Live Well on WCNC or add Weather Nation or Cozi TV. I hear the Live Well is being dropped by ABC stations.

Like the ABC O&Os like WABC in NYC, KABC in Los Angeles, WLS in Chicago, WPVI in Philly, KGO in San Francisco, KTRK in Houston, KFSN in Fresno, and WTVD in adjacent Raleigh?

Spencer Karter

post #7904 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
No, Live Well is being completely discontinued. Kaput. Gone. January 2015.

- Trip
bill875 likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7905 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip

I see the end of an era! frown.gif

But I'm glad we don't have Live Well subchannel in Greenville, SC DMA. But I wished GSP had AntennaTV, CoziTV (where they show reruns of Marcus Welby, M.D. and The Bold Ones too), and Bounce since the Greenville, SC market is lacking diversity when it comes to OTA subchannel selections with the latter subchannel network.

Spencer Karter

post #7906 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the ongoing case at The United States Supreme Court (ABC, Inc. VS. Aereo) if the broadcasters win, heck will break loose and cord-cutters won't be pleased, I bet people protesting outside the NAB's HQ in Washington, DC or other, or if Aereo wins, the meanies at the NAB, and CBS' CEO Les Moonves (the dude who was responsible for the controversial cancellations of their beloved soap operas Guiding Light in 2009, and As The World Turns in 2010) wouldn't be pleased.

Which ever way this is decided, it won't immediately affect the cord cutters in Charlotte much since Aereo isn't offered here. I understand why Aereo exists, but if you can put up an antenna yourself, you end up with a far better picture that doesn't clog up your Internet connection.

In general, don't think it will affect, much, people who decide to cord cut because it doesn't affect the reasons they are unhooking from cable. i.e. very high costs now, and very poor content. ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox are being pretty short sighted IMO. If, for example, they win their case, it simply means they will continue to lose viewers as people will continue to cord cut and some of those people won't bother with broadcast TV at all. And... no matter what they do to aereo, it's pretty easy these days for people to access exactly the same content by streaming it from other countries where the shows are shown.
post #7907 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
My guess is Gannett will replace with Weather Nation or Cozi TV on 36.2. But I really don't know. But they do carry Weather Nation on several Gannett stations, including WFMY in Greensboro.
post #7908 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....But I wished GSP had AntennaTV, .....

I think AntennaTV has been on the air in CLT for 2 years this August. Yet during this entire time, they have made very little investment in new shows. So in 6 months you will get tired of it. I rarely watch it now. It doesn't help that WJZY is transmitting it using very low quality even for SD and they cropped it too.
post #7909 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My guess is Gannett will replace with Weather Nation or Cozi TV on 36.2. But I really don't know. But they do carry Weather Nation on several Gannett stations, including WFMY in Greensboro.

Are any of them NBC affiliates? Weather Nation competes with Comcast/NBC/Universal's, The Weather Channel which are often used in conjunction with broadcast NBC. WCNC seems to tow the NBC party line when it comes to their content.
post #7910 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe WCNC may have cancelled their contract with the Charlotte Observer since Gannett took over. They had been news partners for several years. And the Observer combined the national news and local coverage into one section, reducing more content. Then raised the daily price to a dollar.
post #7911 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are any of them NBC affiliates? Weather Nation competes with Comcast/NBC/Universal's, The Weather Channel which are often used in conjunction with broadcast NBC. WCNC seems to tow the NBC party line when it comes to their content.
I thought Weather Plus was a good service before they bought the Weather Channel.
post #7912 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Which ever way this is decided, it won't immediately affect the cord cutters in Charlotte much since Aereo isn't offered here. I understand why Aereo exists, but if you can put up an antenna yourself, you end up with a far better picture that doesn't clog up your Internet connection.

In general, don't think it will affect, much, people who decide to cord cut because it doesn't affect the reasons they are unhooking from cable. i.e. very high costs now, and very poor content. ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox are being pretty short sighted IMO. If, for example, they win their case, it simply means they will continue to lose viewers as people will continue to cord cut and some of those people won't bother with broadcast TV at all. And... no matter what they do to aereo, it's pretty easy these days for people to access exactly the same content by streaming it from other countries where the shows are shown.

I've also heard that the meanies at CBS and FOX threatened to go pay-tv if they don't get their way at Supreme Court if Aereo wins. My advice, never trust Dennis Wharton, Gordon Smith, and the National Association of Broadcasters (The NAB) because they're corrupted!
bill875 likes this.

Spencer Karter

post #7913 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've also heard that the meanies at CBS and FOX threatened to go pay-tv if they don't get their way at Supreme Court if Aereo wins. My advice, never trust Dennis Wharton, Gordon Smith, and the National Association of Broadcasters (The NAB) because they're corrupted!

They are bluffing. Immediately they lose 20+ million viewers and their very unique access to a significant portion of the broadcast spectrum.

Though they just bought 2 TV stations in CLT, if any of them are dumb enough to do it, I'd say it would be Rupert Murdoch.
post #7914 of 8826 Old 06-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I live in a valley just north of Charlotte and had great reception in the winter and ok reception (rotator + CM4228 ) in the summer. But after one of my 60ft pine trees died (and taken down) two years ago, I get intermittent drops half the time, and it seems to have gotten worse this year. If an airplane goes over, it drops too. With signals around 70-88, 90-100, etc dropping to 0 (according to my old DISH receiver with OTA tuner), it's hard to watch a program or record with my HTPC. I have a dipole and bowie antennas on the bedroom TVs and have the same issue.

Luckily, I can see the CBS programs on line (via Plex -CBS channel) and FOX programs with FoxNOW on the Roku. But as you stated, the picture quality is not as good. As for Aereo, I would at least try it to see if it's worth it. Some people would like the DVR feature/convenience and not have to deal with additional hardware (HTPC, CM+, or Tablo, and antenna etc).
Quote:

I think AntennaTV has been on the air in CLT for 2 years this August. Yet during this entire time, they have made very little investment in new shows. So in 6 months you will get tired of it. I rarely watch it now. It doesn't help that WJZY is transmitting it using very low quality even for SD and they cropped it too.

Sometimes have the TV on while doing other things, so the dropouts are not a concern while "It Takes A Thief" and Mr. McGoo/Toons are playing on the weekends, but I think I've seen most of them. Still fun to watch Green Acres once in a while. I've never seen Movies!, is it in SD or HD?
post #7915 of 8826 Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post

I live in a valley just north of Charlotte and had great reception in the winter and ok reception (rotator + CM4228 ) in the summer. ...

It's the CM4228 that is causing your issue. It's a design optimized for the old analog band and it's max gain occurs where there are no longer any channels. Channel Master and Antennas Direct (DB8) should have pulled these old designs from the market long ago, but they still sell them to unsuspecting buyers. CM, to its credit, has come out with a newer line optimized for the new bands. AD, on the other hand, stills sells a lot of gimmicky and expensive antennas.

If you post a TV Fool report I can suggest something better but barring that, I'd look at replacing it with an Antennacraft HBU 33 (or 44, 55). You should immediately see better results with the benefit that it will also pick up VHF-hi. Winegard sells an equivalent line 769x. All of these antennas are also made in the USA. Hopefully your mount is outside. Attic installs are very problematic.

With all that said, I mentioned that I understand why Aereo exists. It provides convenience at the expense of a monthly fee, inferior picture, and clogging up your Internet connection or burning up your cap if you have one. I still think that if you can put up an appropriate antenna and combine it with a local DVR you will end up with a much better experience. A Tivo Roameo is a great 4 tuner DVR if you don't want to build a HTPC. It does have a monthy fee, but you won't be paying that to Aereo.
post #7916 of 8826 Old 06-10-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The newer version of CM-4228HD, now made in China, claims to receive VHF High. But since WTVI has a rather low power signal on RF11, I would indeed recommend the Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard 7696 instead. But if you are satisfied with UNC-TV or SC-ETV for PBS, then the 4228 should otherwise be fine for all of the other major Charlotte channels, which are UHF. Although it probably could be better redesigned for today's UHF frequencies. But I do believe Antennas Direct did optimize the new DB8e and Clearstream 4 for the current broadcast channels.
post #7917 of 8826 Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The CM4228 worked fine for 14 years (including WTVI - its only 12 mi away), so it's not the antenna (it's the original version). I had better/stable signals during the summer than winter, I assumed the leaves mitigated the multi-path issues compared to winter time. Once one of my trees died and removed, the issues started. Other possible contributors are atmospheric changes, new schools/buildings, housing, etc going up in the region and increased air traffic (Concord airport)... It's just where I live.
post #7918 of 8826 Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post

The CM4228 worked fine for 14 years (including WTVI - its only 12 mi away), so it's not the antenna (it's the original version). I had better/stable signals during the summer than winter, I assumed the leaves mitigated the multi-path issues compared to winter time. Once one of my trees died and removed, the issues started. Other possible contributors are atmospheric changes, new schools/buildings, housing, etc going up in the region and increased air traffic (Concord airport)... It's just where I live.

Do WTVI carry PBS NewsHour Weekend in HD in Charlotte, NC on Saturdays and Sundays like UNC-TV does? I know ETV World subchannel carries the show in crude SD in lieu of SCETV's main channel in South Carolina which means PBS viewers in Charleston and Columbia are DENIED to watch PBS NewsHour Weekend in HD unless if Lowcountry viewers like near Edisto Island/Beaufort line (Edisto Island is in Charleston, SC DMA while Beaufort, SC is in Savannah, GA DMA of course!) can pick up GPB from Savannah OTA if they carried it and Midlands viewers pickup UNC TV from Charlotte or GPB from Augusta OTA if the latter carried it. frown.gif

It's a shame that Toccoa, GA (part of Greenville, SC DMA) don't have GPB (Georgia Public Broadcasting) in their area which means they're forced to watch PBS from SCETV or UNC-TV on DirecTV for example. I fell sorry from Toccoa to Elberton being DENIED to watch PBS from their own state.

Spencer Karter

post #7919 of 8826 Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What antenna/preamp would you recommend?

My current setup is using a DB8 with an old(but new) Lance Industries AB728 mast mount amplifier mounted on my tower(ham) at 25ft.

I read on this thread that the DB8 was tuned for the old bands and it is not working as good as it use to. I would like to get as many channels as possible, I like channel surfing. Also don't have a problem using multiple antennas if it could keep from needing a rotor.

Here is a link to TV Signal Analysis Results from tv fool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c600bc96937c

I remember back 20 years ago when on a nice summer night you could pick up stations from over 120 miles when living in the Midwest, miss those days.

Thanks
post #7920 of 8826 Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7danny View Post

What antenna/preamp would you recommend?

My current setup is using a DB8 with an old(but new) Lance Industries AB728 mast mount amplifier mounted on my tower(ham) at 25ft.

I read on this thread that the DB8 was tuned for the old bands and it is not working as good as it use to. I would like to get as many channels as possible, I like channel surfing. Also don't have a problem using multiple antennas if it could keep from needing a rotor.

Here is a link to TV Signal Analysis Results from tv fool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c600bc96937c

I remember back 20 years ago when on a nice summer night you could pick up stations from over 120 miles when living in the Midwest, miss those days.

Thanks

I do miss the Analog era badly. But Digital is the King now!

Spencer Karter

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page