Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #7951 of 8819 Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Considering the ratings that were posted earlier, they could take it off the air now and most wouldn't miss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 8819 Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
When WRET became WPCQ in 1980, it was the only NBC affiliate ever to preempt NBC Nightly News weekend telecasts (when the late Jessica Savitch was anchoring, sadly she was killed in a drowning in Fall 1983) in 1980, and weeknight telecasts in 1982 which meaning that Charlotte, NC viewers missed out on Tom Brokaw's first three years as anchor (Brokaw anchored from March 29, 1982-December 1, 2004) and his first year with Roger Mudd as co-anchor (from 1982-1983, both succeeding the late John Chancellor) unless watching it from WXII 12 in Winston-Salem, NC or WIS 10 in Columbia, SC or WFBC/WYFF 4 in Greenville, SC OTA.
Back in those days, WBTV and WSOC were the dominant stations, and Channel 36 had a weak signal. Folks in various areas of Charlotte could receive WIS, WXII, or WYFF better than they could get 36. But in 1987, they upgraded their analog signal to full UHF 5 million watt power and built a 2000ft tower near Dallas, NC. Joining WBTV and later WJZY in that area. The signal coverage improved, and today's digital signal from WCNC uses that same tall tower.
post #7953 of 8819 Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: For fringe listeners, they have improved the radio signal for 107.9 the Link with a technical upgrade this week. They have primarily boosted the power of the HD Radio signal, but the analog signal is better as well, where there has been a bit of a null to the west. The HD signal locks in better on my car radio in northern Greenville, SC, and I get a perfect, solid lock on my home radio with just rabbit ears. Which allows me to also hear WBT on WLNK-HD2, whereas the 11.10 AM signal is blocked west of the Catawba River at night. WLNK transmits from the WBTV tower near Dallas.
post #7954 of 8819 Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do they show now-defunct Judge Alex in HD in Charlotte?

Here in GSP, it's shown in crude SD.

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)
post #7955 of 8819 Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

Here in GSP, it's shown in crude SD.
WAXN shows it every day. I assume it's in HD since it's on their main HD channel.
post #7956 of 8819 Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

PWX Wrestling, a local Charlotte promotion, has quietly disappeared from WCCB's schedule with no notice. Quite unlike the announcement made last year when the two companies decided to do business. More infomercials has replaced it.

http://www.pwxprowrestling.com/pwx-signs-with-wccb

It's a shame. Maybe they can find another station to air episodes.
post #7957 of 8819 Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
PWX Wrestling, a local Charlotte promotion, has quietly disappeared from WCCB's schedule with no notice. Quite unlike the announcement made last year when the two companies decided to do business. More infomercials has replaced it.

I remember back when all the wrestling shows were produced at WBTV.
post #7958 of 8819 Old 06-20-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I remember back when all the wrestling shows were produced at WBTV.
Big Bill Ward
post #7959 of 8819 Old 06-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Update: For fringe listeners, they have improved the radio signal for 107.9 the Link with a technical upgrade this week. They have primarily boosted the power of the HD Radio signal, but the analog signal is better as well, where there has been a bit of a null to the west. The HD signal locks in better on my car radio in northern Greenville, SC, and I get a perfect, solid lock on my home radio with just rabbit ears. Which allows me to also hear WBT on WLNK-HD2, whereas the 11.10 AM signal is blocked west of the Catawba River at night. WLNK transmits from the WBTV tower near Dallas.
You can't pick up WBT's FM station (99.3)? You might be too far north for it.
post #7960 of 8819 Old 06-21-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
You can't pick up WBT's FM station (99.3)? You might be too far north for it.
Yes I can get 99.3 in the house with rabbit ears, and the HD version will often lock in. But in the car, it is very spotty past Spartanburg because of interference from a station on the same RF down in Georgia.
post #7961 of 8819 Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM

Of the Charlotte, NC stations I've picked up OTA via digital antenna in Greenwood, SC in recent years.

I've picked up sometimes WBTV 3 (CBS), WCNC 36 (NBC), and WJZY 46 (FOX O&O) on some nights. I've picked up PBS stations from 30 (SCETV) and 58 (UNC-TV) via Tropo, same story for WHKY 14, WAXN 64 (both Independents), WCCB 18 (CW), WSOC 9 (ABC), and WMYT 55 (MNT also FOX O&O) which means I've picked up every Charlotte, NC TV station OTA so far except WTVI 42 (PBS).

I remember during football season in recent years, WBTV 3 aired a Panthers Specials on Fridays and delayed CBS' The Late Show and The Late Late Show into one hour. Too bad Letterman and Ferguson will soon depart.

Spencer Karter

post #7962 of 8819 Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM

BTW, Do they show Empire Today flooring commercials in Charlotte, NC DMA like Greenville/Spartanburg and Columbia DMA does? You know the jingle 800-588-2300 EMPIRE TODAY!

Too bad they don't show those ads in Augusta, GA nor Charleston, SC nor Savannah, GA.

Spencer Karter

post #7963 of 8819 Old 06-21-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

For best luck with Charlotte channels in Greenwood, I would suggest a 91XG UHF antenna and a Kitztech 100 preamp. You are a bit beyond the service contour. And yes, I will miss David Letterman, and I definitely miss Jay Leno on the Tonight Show. But they say Jimmy Fallon has gotten good ratings so far, although Leno was #1 when he stepped down.
post #7964 of 8819 Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like WHKY 14.4 has gotten rid of PB&J and replaced it with Heartland TV. Good, I guess, if you like modern country music.

It also appears that sometime on 6/30, the schedule for WJZY 46.2 cuts from Antenna TV to Movies. (or something showing nothing but movies). Looks as if Antenna TV is gone from CLT for now. Can't say that I will really miss it. They were pretty bad about wearing out content.
post #7965 of 8819 Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Wink

Quote:

Tsk Tsk..Not our call..They are on a production hiatus until July so as to not air excessive reruns.
You can get more wrasslin' then..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7966 of 8819 Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks like WHKY 14.4 has gotten rid of PB&J and replaced it with Heartland TV. Good, I guess, if you like modern country music.

It also appears that sometime on 6/30, the schedule for WJZY 46.2 cuts from Antenna TV to Movies. (or something showing nothing but movies). Looks as if Antenna TV is gone from CLT for now. Can't say that I will really miss it. They were pretty bad about wearing out content.
I thought maybe they would move Antenna TV to 55.2, unless they stay with This TV. And I wonder how long WCNC will wait before dumping Live Well, and what will replace it there.
post #7967 of 8819 Old 06-23-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I am barely receiving Kiss 95.1 on the radio today. They appear to be at reduced power. Perhaps they are doing some technical work at the transmitter. They use the WJZY TV tower, and all appears normal with 46.
post #7968 of 8819 Old 06-23-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Tsk Tsk..Not our call..They are on a production hiatus until July so as to not air excessive reruns.
You can get more wrasslin' then..
It's interesting as the last episode shown on WCCB was all screwed up. It was missing all the commentary so it was like looking at raw footage with no sound.

Never seen anything like it.

But that is good news they are coming back next month.
post #7969 of 8819 Old 06-24-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: Kiss 95.1 is back up today and seems to be back to full power with a strong signal. Must have been a technical issue yesterday.
post #7970 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
post #7971 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I thought maybe they would move Antenna TV to 55.2, unless they stay with This TV. And I wonder how long WCNC will wait before dumping Live Well, and what will replace it there.
LiveWell is going away in January. There are so many subchannels (all the NC markets together don't have nearly all of them, SC doesn't seem to be much different) and I am sure most are watched very little compared to the ABC's CBS's FX's and ESPN's of the world.

I wonder how much money they generate for the parent stations. Sure, they are on cable, but many have no clue at all that they're there, especially since they moved all the locals to the 1200's on TWC, but kept the primary channels mapped with the other channels. Many stations don't even mention their subchannels on the air. I wonder if you'll see national feeds of MeTV, Movies, etc available on satellite like WeatherNation and the Christian subchannels have.
post #7972 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
A win for big corporate media like Les Moonves (CBS), NBCUniversal (who's huge footprint is poised to get bigger with the T-W Cable merger), et al...

A (continued) loss for the consumer, i.e., pay-tv subscriber.

Eric
post #7973 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
A win for big corporate media like Les Moonves (CBS), NBCUniversal (who's huge footprint is poised to get bigger with the T-W Cable merger), et al...

Eric
I do not agree. If not for for the laws protecting the owner ship of programing what would stop you from recording a movie at the movie theater, and taking it out and selling it. Or on a another level, go out buy a Ford or GM product of you choice, make one just like it, and sell it yourself.
Without protection of property that is run on TV. No one will produce, at a large cost something someone else will just take for free and reproduce. I see this (lack of protection), as a loss for the consumer. I think your view of the decision is short sited.
What they were doing is no different than you walking into a store, and taking what you want without paying for it.
A J likes this.

Tom
post #7974 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Thumbs down My reply on Aereo's SCOTUS loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post

Eric
Very shocked and upset about this! A travesty to America! Cord Cutters also P.O. too. I've made a video about this issue. A very special edition indeed! I feel sorry for Chet Kanojia and Barry Diller...I feel your pain to both of you, still Chet and Barry are True Patriotic Americans who fight for what's right, but unfortunately things didn't turn out their way. Now the backstabbers like Supreme Court, The NAB, Les Moonves, and Broadcasters are now The Laughing Stock of the USA! This is one example that the NAB hates innovation and loves to live in the past...20th century past. We need Retransmission Consent reform, 21st century rules.

As soap opera veteran Susan Lucci said about ex-ABC Daytime Executive Brian Frons on the 2011 controversial cancellation of All My Children. I'll say the same words as she said to Frons. The Supreme Court of the US, CBS' CEO Les Moonves, The NAB's Gordon Smith, Dennis Wharton and broadcasters were the fatal combinations of ignorance and arrogance and an iconic company was losing to broadcast greed thanks to SCOTUS' ruling. I predicted cord-cutters (aka low and middle class) will protest the SCOTUS decision and picket outside NAB's HQ in Washington, DC, please don't tell me "There's nothing you can do..." I won't accept that BS nonsense. Like cord-cutters (despite I subscribed to DirecTV) Mad as HELL!

The National Association of Broadcasters are like nemeses when they got away with this earlier today while the traitors at SCTOUS ruled in their favor. This is a total disgrace to the USA and cord-cutters in this economic times (despite stocks rising record highs last week) and this is a sad and tragic day in America. SCOTUS have turned our backs on us (including cord-cutters as well). I also predict Leslie Moonves, Gordon Smith, Dennis Wharton, and other broadcasters will get hate mail and angry letters to protest the SCOTUS ruling.

June 25, 2014 aka BLACK WEDNESDAY or THE DAY AEREO DIED

Here's American Television Alliance's statement here. http://www.americantelevisionallianc...n-abc-v-aereo/

The American Cable Association haven't issued a statement as of yet.

But here's my video of my reaction to SCOTUS decision, please enjoy and comments are always welcome. Thanks!

Spencer Karter

post #7975 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^Don't get mad, get even.

Best way to deal with it, is simply cut the cord, stop paying those re-transmission fees, and put up an antenna instead. Cable/Satellite is quickly pricing itself out of business so this is an issue that will take care of itself one way or the other. It's just like what happened to land line telephone service. When was the last time you ran into someone with one of those that wasn't VoIP?

Of course it's not the fault of the Supreme Ct. Instead, blame the congress & president who make these laws in the first place.
post #7976 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
^Don't get mad, get even.

Best way to deal with it, is simply cut the cord, stop paying those re-transmission fees, and put up an antenna instead. Cable/Satellite is quickly pricing itself out of business so this is an issue that will take care of itself one way or the other. It's just like what happened to land line telephone service. When was the last time you ran into someone with one of those that wasn't VoIP?

Of course it's not the fault of the Supreme Ct. Instead, blame the congress & president who make these laws in the first place.
I didn't get angry and throwing chairs and slamming doors. I did get mad calmly.

Yes Congress are the ones create the laws in the US and POTUS signs those into law. But here in my area the only strongest signal I can get OTA is PBS from SCETV while most of my Greenville/Spartanburg, SC stations and adjacent Augusta, GA ones are moderate signals, most weak signals from Columbia, SC, off-and-on from some Charlotte, NC stations.

I wish corporate greed and corruption by the NAB should end, but won't happen anytime soon. As I say the SCOTUS ruling was a travesty for America! The End of An Era!

I don't like to hear the words "There's nothing you can do" and I wont accept this BS nonsense. This is supposed to be America, not Red China for God's sake. I love freedom, but hate communism. SCOTUS were like commies during this dreadful ruling earlier today. Same story for CBS' Les Moonves, other broadcasters, Gordon Smith and Dennis Wharton of the NAB as well!

I think the NAB hates innovation and they want to live in the 20th century past! We need reform on Retransmission Consent and 21st century rules IMHO. I know Diane Sawyer stepping down as anchor of ABC World News after 5 years which was another shake up today besides Eli Wallach's passing too (he lived a long life).

June 25, 2014 aka Black Wednesday or in other words The Day Aereo Died. As I say before an iconic innovation was loosing to broadcast greed thanks to SCOTUS' ruling and the corrupted nemesis the NAB got away with it. Same thing like Susan Lucci said to Brian Frons on her memoir after All My Children got cancelled three years ago. SCOTUS justices, Les Moonves and other broadcasters, Gordon Smith and Dennis Wharton of The NAB were like the final combination of ignorance and arrogance. RIP Aereo (2012-2014)

Spencer Karter

Last edited by SpencerKarter85; 06-25-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Addition
post #7977 of 8819 Old 06-25-2014, 02:43 PM

UPDATE on disappointed SCOTUS decision on Aereo.

Here's a statement from American Cable Association. http://www.americancable.org/node/4840

In other words (in Barry McGuire terms) we're on the Eve of Destruction!

Spencer Karter

post #7978 of 8819 Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
DMAs are communism. The government tells you what channels you pay to get. Said locals have no motivation to be quality since their customers have to watch them. Many local channels are at least decent, but some markets have truly dreadful locals. What is motivating a crappy local to improve themselves when most of their viewers HAVE to watch them. There is nothing American about the government telling you what channels you can and can't pay for.
Retspin likes this.
post #7979 of 8819 Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
DMAs are communism. The government tells you what channels you pay to get. Said locals have no motivation to be quality since their customers have to watch them. Many local channels are at least decent, but some markets have truly dreadful locals. What is motivating a crappy local to improve themselves when most of their viewers HAVE to watch them. There is nothing American about the government telling you what channels you can and can't pay for.
I agree with you ejb1980, that's for damn sure! I support Freedom Of Choice and I'm proud be an American and born in the USA in formerly one of the original 13 Colonies.

Also I'm a good person and have a good heart!

Spencer Karter

post #7980 of 8819 Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

WJZY is preparing to launch a 6pm newscast Monday, according to the Charlotte Observer.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page