Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 267 - AVS Forum
First ... 265  266  267 268  269  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Charlotte, NC - OTA
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 02:31 AM 06-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WJZY is preparing to launch a 6pm newscast Monday, according to the Charlotte Observer.
I saw that article. Interestingly they say that Fox isn't as interested in the ratings at this point over testing this new format to see what works. It's going to be tough as they don't have a national news broadcast to follow. (I've wondered why Fox doesn't launch one.)

In any case, they say they are not jumping on the urban crime bandwagon the other stations.

blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 02:39 AM 06-28-2014
I've been saying that some stations have been forced to tighten their belts. (on air staff reductions, more infomercials, etc) Seems I was on to something as this would explain why.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte....html?page=all

Maybe it will be better this year as I expect the stupid party and the evil party to buy up a lot of adverts since it's an election year and NC's ever changing Jr. US Senate seat is up again. Always lots of drama with that one.
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 02:41 AM 06-28-2014
Speaking of cutbacks, WTVI has laid off it's master control staff here in CLT. A PBS affiliate in NY somewhere will operate the station remotely.
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 04:45 PM 06-28-2014
WCNC announced on the news tonight they are now in HD. Brad Panavich (sp) incorrectly said it's 1080p, (it's interlaced), but it does look a lot better.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 07:20 PM 06-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
WCNC announced on the news tonight they are now in HD. Brad Panavich (sp) incorrectly said it's 1080p, (it's interlaced), but it does look a lot better.
I had heard they would soon be upgrading to HD, so that is indeed good news to hear. But I hope they make some modifications with the backdrop, as there is too much grey, and it clashes with the brown. While I agree they had too much blue before, perhaps a mix of the blue and grey would be better. Because that brown does not look good with the grey behind the desk. Just a bit of cosmetic tweaking and it would look nice. But I will check it out soon, as I did not see the 6pm show. But glad to see they are finally HD.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 07:36 PM 06-28-2014
And I believe WCNC may soon debut the new Gannett graphics package in the coming weeks. Although if it is similar to WUSA, it is a bit too much graphics and clutter on the bottom of the screen for my taste. But we shall see.
blackcap93's Avatar blackcap93 08:00 PM 06-28-2014
It's a company in Syracuse that provdes third-party master control services to TV stations:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/...otrack-/270687
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 01:12 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
I had heard they would soon be upgrading to HD, so that is indeed good news to hear. But I hope they make some modifications with the backdrop, as there is too much grey, and it clashes with the brown. ....
The HD seems to have helped a bit with the garish blue though that could be due to the fact there is a lot less of it. I agree about the grey. In HD it reminds me of a wall in a garage.

I don't really care for the let's stand up and give the news approach they are using on the weekends. It makes the sets seem small and claustrophobic the way it's being done. Maybe they are making other changes to the set and thus, have relegated to a small corner.

I think the best sets in Charlotte belong to WCCB followed by WSOC. Too bad that WBTV doesn't seem to broadcast from downtown anymore.
bdfox18doe's Avatar bdfox18doe 02:44 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
I think the best sets in Charlotte belong to WCCB followed by WSOC..
WCCB's, and WSOC's set..(as well as WFXB's NotTheNews) were all built and installed by Freelance Staging from Thomasville..
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 04:44 PM 06-29-2014
Overall WCNC looks much better in HD. And I think the grey/silver looks better than all of that blue. But I think a few modifications in the backdrop color scheme would look better, particularly behind the main anchor desk. As that brown trim does not look that good with the grey. I think that little bit of brown should be changed to blue, and some other sort of accent color beside that LED monitor behind the desk. But overall, the video quality is much improved, and much of their field reporting now appears to be in HD as well. So definitely an improvement.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 04:54 PM 06-29-2014
I agree WCCB and WSOC have very nice sets. But I think WBTV is about due for an overhaul. I remember in years past they used to have very nice, substantial sets. I think this current set was sort of rushed for HD conversion, and they may have had a more limited budget at the time. But interesting WCNC is not doing much promotion about the upgrade to HD. Possibly because they were so late to the game.
CLTNewsWatch's Avatar CLTNewsWatch 09:14 PM 06-29-2014
I'm told that the switch to the Gannett graphics will be made on July 16th. WCNC will also launch a new website, similar to the USAToday website, within the next two weeks.
Check123's Avatar Check123 08:57 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
It's a company in Syracuse that provdes third-party master control services to TV stations:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/...otrack-/270687
This really should be against the rules. Master Control should be run from somewhere inside your City of License.

t123
rdgcss's Avatar rdgcss 04:57 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
This really should be against the rules. Master Control should be run from somewhere inside your City of License.

t123
Welcome to the internet. It could just as easily been controlled from India.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 11:35 PM 06-30-2014
The Movies! network is now airing on WJZY 46.2 . Apparently replacing Antenna TV which has not yet relocated to another channel.
mcy919's Avatar mcy919 11:40 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
The Movies! network is now airing on WJZY 46.2 . Apparently replacing Antenna TV which has not yet relocated to another channel.
I watched Antenna TV almost every day. I hope another station picks it up.
A J's Avatar A J 07:26 AM 07-01-2014
I see that 46.2 stayed 4:3 after switching to Movies! I had hoped for 16:9 format.
ejb1980's Avatar ejb1980 10:11 AM 07-01-2014
From reading the other cities forums, some cites show Movies in true 16:9 widescreen and some show it smushed. Which way is it in Charlotte?
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 11:09 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcy919 View Post
I watched Antenna TV almost every day. I hope another station picks it up.
I thought maybe they would move it to 55.2, but they appear to be staying with ThisTV. But perhaps it could move to 36.2 in place of Live Well network. And ironically, the day it disappears, there is an article in the Observer promoting Antenna TV, MeTV, and the retro programming networks.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 11:13 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
From reading the other cities forums, some cites show Movies in true 16:9 widescreen and some show it smushed. Which way is it in Charlotte?
The PSIP says 480i and 4x3. But I think it looks good this way, as otherwise I guess you would have the black bars on both sides of the screen. It does appear a bit zoomed in, but not terribly smushed. And otherwise the video quality appears good.
ejb1980's Avatar ejb1980 12:32 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
The PSIP says 480i and 4x3. But I think it looks good this way, as otherwise I guess you would have the black bars on both sides of the screen. It does appear a bit zoomed in, but not terribly smushed. And otherwise the video quality appears good.
This is 2014 - nothing should be broadcast in 4:3. There should be black bars if the original program is 4:3. WGHP's Antenna TV on 8-2 and WFMY's WeatherNation on 2-2 are prime examples of how a subchannel should be done.
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 01:48 PM 07-01-2014
Interestingly, I was at my Mom's house and was checking out the antenna install I did for her last year, and was able to pick up WCCB from Myrtle Beach with that HBU-33. (hooked to a Tivo Roameo tuner) It was pointed towards CLT at the time. Surprising to see this, though I wouldn't expect that it would last long.

It also got WOLO in Columbia. Must be some interesting atmospherics going on in this hot muggy weather.
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 01:51 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
I'm looking at it now. WJZY has not changed the horrible resolution that Capital Broadcasting originally setup for Antenna TV. (640x480 instead of 704x480) As a result, it's actually truncating part of the picture based on seeing part of the logo cut off. What picture remains looks to be at the right aspect ratio however.

They should have the bandwidth available to up it to what is being transmitted by the source.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 02:31 PM 07-01-2014
For some reason, Channel 96.1 radio station is off the air this afternoon. But no problems with Kiss 95.1 or WJZY 46.1 which use the same tower. Must be some sort of technical issue.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 02:33 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
I'm looking at it now. WJZY has not changed the horrible resolution that Capital Broadcasting originally setup for Antenna TV. (640x480 instead of 704x480) As a result, it's actually truncating part of the picture based on seeing part of the logo cut off. What picture remains looks to be at the right aspect ratio however.

They should have the bandwidth available to up it to what is being transmitted by the source.
The video quality does not look bad to me. Of course it could be a bit better. But I would rather them preserve more of the bandwith for the main HD channel 46.1.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 03:22 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
For some reason, Channel 96.1 radio station is off the air this afternoon. But no problems with Kiss 95.1 or WJZY 46.1 which use the same tower. Must be some sort of technical issue.
Update: Just checked again and Channel 96.1 is back on the air, and appears to be full power.
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6 04:20 PM 07-01-2014
Just caught a little of the WJZY 6pm broadcast. It's interesting for sure. Nothing else like it at 6. It's also an hour program. I did have it on WSOC tv for a few minutes, but it was the usual, lets read the police report. Maybe WJZY is on to something, but I still think they need to work on the delivery and on air staff.

I don't expect them to do much to WSOC as they have had a market for their brand of exploitive tabloidism for years now. I expect if WJZY sucks away viewers from anyone, it will be WCNC. Maybe that is why they all of a sudden installed the HD equipment.
veedon's Avatar veedon 06:43 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
... It's going to be tough as they don't have a national news broadcast to follow. (I've wondered why Fox doesn't launch one.)....
The reason that Fox Broadcasting does not have a national evening news broadcast is that the corporate honchos don't want to take audience away from the Ministry of Truth on cable. Fox Broadcasting is not interested in having much of a national news presence. It's more interested in entertainment.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 07:00 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
The reason that Fox Broadcasting does not have a national evening news broadcast is that the corporate honchos don't want to take audience away from the Ministry of Truth on cable. Fox Broadcasting is not interested in having much of a national news presence. It's more interested in entertainment.
Well they already have the FOX News Channel to support a national evening newscast on the FOX affiliates. I don't see how one would detract from the other, but rather be mutually supportive.
bdfox18doe's Avatar bdfox18doe 07:02 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
 For the HD Radio chatter, we have a whole section devoted to that. Feel free to start a local thread there and link it here. Keep it on or at least moderately close to the topic. Thanks.
Thanks Don.
First ... 265  266  267 268  269  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop