post #8011 of 8221 Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well they already have the FOX News Channel to support a national evening newscast on the FOX affiliates. I don't see how one would detract from the other, but rather be mutually supportive.
FOX Broadcasting is going for a younger viewership than any FNC show can deliver. If FOX Broadcasting were to simulcast one of FNC's supposedly straight news programs, that would not work well as a lead-in to FOX's prime time lineup on the broadcast stations. The local FOX affiliates would not want to give up the time slot to the national network, and the people who run FNC would be upset that a few viewer eyeballs might be drawn away from FNC to the broadcast network, which often shows the kind of stuff that devoted FNC viewers might well regard as a sign of the decay of civilization, the kind of stuff that FNC viewers think is only shown on the "lamestream" networks of CBS, NBC, and ABC.

FOX and FNC are deliberately kept very separate, except for the Sunday morning show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 41
FNC caters to a particular demographic for sure. However the corporation, News Corp. which owns Fox, has numerous world wide news organizations which I say is on par if not better than any of them. I routinely watch Sky News to find out what is really going on in the USA because ABC, CBS, NBC have all ceased to provide any real relevant news. CNN is nothing but a parody.

If FOX wanted to produce a national broadcast news it's certainly within their abilities to do so and they could design it to cater to any demographic they liked. I also think every affiliate out there would immediately jump on it because it would be a huge competitive boost against affiliates of the other 3 networks. I think they would be quite happy about it.

In terms of eyeballs, ABC, NBC and CBS have all lost so much credibility, that hardly anyone watches them now anyway. Each one pulls in between 6-9M each night which isn't even 3% of the US population. Fox could crack this egg easily if they really wanted to.
post #8013 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The video quality does not look bad to me. Of course it could be a bit better. But I would rather them preserve more of the bandwith for the main HD channel 46.1.
WCNC transmits livewell in 16:9, Bounce TV is transmitted at much higher quality, and WCCB is pulling down 2 sub channels, one in 16:9 without any seemingly quality degradation to their HD channel. I think WJZY could do much better with movies.
post #8014 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watch some shows/sports on WJZY, like 24, NFL football, MLB and sometimes Bones. I'm not a fan of the local news format, but it would be nice to have national news by taking the first half-hour of the 6pm FNC program (usually straight news reporting, the second half is commentary/opinion). They have parts of the program available a day later on the web (i.e. Roku).

I checked out 46.2 and wish it was in 16:9 format; GetTV seems to have a slightly better image to me.
post #8015 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
I watch some shows/sports on WJZY, like 24, NFL football, MLB and sometimes Bones. I'm not a fan of the local news format, but it would be nice to have national news by taking the first half-hour of the 6pm FNC program (usually straight news reporting, the second half is commentary/opinion). They have parts of the program available a day later on the web (i.e. Roku).

I checked out 46.2 and wish it was in 16:9 format; GetTV seems to have a slightly better image to me.
It was reported on some industry site that WJZY uses high end Harris encoders as were installed by Capitol. So they should be able to have good video quality, whatever format they may choose to use.
post #8016 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of video quality, all of sudden the major stores are hyping overpriced LEDs with Ultra HD 4000K resolution. But I don't see this upconverted picture as having an impact for OTA reception, which is 1080i or 720p. And I can personally say OTA pic quality looks excellent on the entry level Samsung 51F4500 plasma, which is only 720p. And a real bargain at $399 at Best Buy and HHG these days. But sadly Samsung has supposedly said this is the last year for plasma production, so I would say grab one now while you still can.
post #8017 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

^Yeah, it was just like the 3D fad that has since faded out.
post #8018 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM
A J

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Strictly a curiosity item since I avoid bible-thumping channels, is WCEE actually on the air? TVFool shows both WCEE and WDMC in Charlotte, 12.6 miles (on the same tower I suppose) LOS from my house. WDMC 25.1 comes in solid (~70% on DVR and 6 of 10 bars on TV) but I have never picked up WCEE 16.1 when I re-scan.

Long ago I remember a weak analog channel 16 but I have never found digital 16.1. Is WCEE really active, as TVFool shows, or not?
post #8019 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

In terms of eyeballs, ABC, NBC and CBS have all lost so much credibility, that hardly anyone watches them now anyway. Each one pulls in between 6-9M each night which isn't even 3% of the US population. Fox could crack this egg easily if they really wanted to.
It's not a matter of credibility. It's just that there is far less of a reason now to rely on an evening newscast for national news. The news is available on the internet, and people who are truly interested in national or international news want to read the news, not watch the news.

Local news is an entirely different matter, of course. Local stations like having a local newscast because that's a moneymaker for the station. A national newscast does not bring in much money for a local station.
post #8020 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Strictly a curiosity item since I avoid bible-thumping channels, is WCEE actually on the air? TVFool shows both WCEE and WDMC in Charlotte, 12.6 miles (on the same tower I suppose) LOS from my house. WDMC 25.1 comes in solid (~70% on DVR and 6 of 10 bars on TV) but I have never picked up WCEE 16.1 when I re-scan.

Long ago I remember a weak analog channel 16 but I have never found digital 16.1. Is WCEE really active, as TVFool shows, or not?
Well I suppose you don't watch Jimmy Swaggart on 55.3. Or Jim and Tammy back in the day. But I am hardly a Bible thumper myself, but I do suppose that Christian TV does fill a need. And I watch TV for news and entertainment, and I find some religious shows entertaining as long as they are not a total scam. And I do enjoy good gospel music, and Jimmy Swaggart is still going strong.
post #8021 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... I do suppose that Christian TV does fill a need. And I watch TV for news and entertainment, and I find some religious shows entertaining as long as they are not a total scam. ...
There are a ton of scams, and the doctrines that those stations teach are often very strange. They toss in interpretations of the Bible that are way outside the bounds of historic teaching. Some of the ideas were cooked up by fringey groups in Britain in the 1800's and exported to the U.S., which has a lot of religious freedom and a lot of splinter groups as a result.
post #8022 of 8221 Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know what's up with whky now also carrying THIS TV on 14.2 even though wmyt is still carrying THIS as well, has anyone ever heard of one market carrying 2 of the exact same subchannels, maybe wmyt is getting ready to remove THIS and whky picked it up, but I just thought it was strange and can't find no news about it. The worst part about it was whky dropped Tuff TV which I thought was their best channel especially for man based material if you could get past the video quality. It was really a blow for my father in law who has antenna only and his favorite channels were Tuff TV which he watched hunting and fishing shows on and Antenna TV which he watched Sanford and Son on, and he lost both on the same night.
post #8023 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Indeed they are showing This on 14.2, albeit in that horrible stretched 16:9 aspect ratio which they now seem to force on all their SD channels. Eve after correcting that, the picture seems softer than the one on WMYT at the moment.

Retro TV has been moved to 14.3 and Tuff is gone. IMO, no great loss. WHKY transmitted it at such low resolution it was often difficult to watch.

Well sadly I guess this really means the end of This in Charlotte since it would seem that Fox must have given it up. WHKY does a really poor job of providing a signal through a good portion of Mecklenburg county and it's pretty impossible to receive through much of the DMA. If you live in York, Union, Cabarrus, Rowan, and points south of CLT, better look for alternatives.

We had postulated that FOX would drop this station along with Antenna TV and it looks as if this is coming true.

(Edit: WHKY really doesn't seem to understand aspect ratio. This is forced at 16:9 and it is a 4:3 station. On the other hand they are showing Heartland at 4:3 and it should be 16:9. Maybe they are just trying to annoy their viewers.)

Last edited by blackcat6; 07-03-2014 at 01:28 AM.
post #8024 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The money is not in the 6:30pm national newscasts as they once were. Ratings for all three 6:30 newscasts combined these days do not make the ratings of just one newscasts before cable news. The money is in cable news now, not network newscasts.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #8025 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
The money is not in the 6:30pm national newscasts as they once were. Ratings for all three 6:30 newscasts combined these days do not make the ratings of just one newscasts before cable news. The money is in cable news now, not network newscasts.
Hmm. According to TV by the numbers, viewship of cable news is almost non-existent. If they are making money, it's not through viewership, because there isn't any.
post #8026 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Reply to foxeng and blackcat6

Quote:
Hmm. According to TV by the numbers, viewship of cable news is almost non-existent. If they are making money, it's not through viewership, because there isn't any.
He's right foxeng!

Cord-Cutters are now a trend for some reasons.
1.)The tough economy
2.)Retransmission Consent disputes
3.)SNL Kagan predicts that cable/satellite bills goes up $200 by 2020...Dire prediction!
4.)Retransmission fees goes up billions by years from now...Another dire prediction!!
5.)The NAB!!!

Just like Katy Perry's ex-hubby Russell Brand, I don't trust Fox News' Conservative Propaganda and bias.

If my parents DirecTV's bill goes up to $200, we have no choice to dump it if that happens. Our current bill is $130 a month. As I say the economy isn't good, maybe save money in future. My stepfather didn't like the price. Since I'm a big fan of the legendary Canadian TV show that launched the career of rapper Drake and also the current incarnation of Degrassi (which hasn't been the same since Miriam McDonald left) which isn't available on Netflix nor Hulu Plus, only on Amazon Prime. My mother doesn't like the $200 price prediction either and disliked it. Inflation stinks....I feel your pain folks!

Spencer Karter

Wish the Greenville, SC DMA added AntennaTV, Bounce, CoziTV over the air one day
post #8027 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
you could save a lot of money by canceling your internet service!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8028 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
you could save a lot of money by canceling your internet service!
A thing to say Oh Please!!!!

I will not live another day without the internet. It's a source for information!

Spencer Karter

Wish the Greenville, SC DMA added AntennaTV, Bounce, CoziTV over the air one day
post #8029 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
A thing to say Oh Please!!!!

I will not live another day without the internet. It's a source for information!
and mostly bad, especially from some here.....
cpalmer2k likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8030 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM

tylerSC and others,

Did you know that Charlotte, NC's weather is shared with NWS Greenville-Spartanburg, SC office just like Savannah, GA sharing with NWS Charleston, SC office?

Too bad that Savannah and Charleston are small markets unlike larger markets like Charlotte and Greenville-Spartanburg.

Spencer Karter

post #8031 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
tylerSC and others,

Did you know that Charlotte, NC's weather is shared with NWS Greenville-Spartanburg, SC office just like Savannah, GA sharing with NWS Charleston, SC office?

Too bad that Savannah and Charleston are small markets unlike larger markets like Charlotte and Greenville-Spartanburg.
Yes I was aware of that. And some of the Charlotte market is also served by NWS offices in Raleigh and Blacksburg, Va. Sometimes causing concern for lack of coverage, as Charlotte used to have its own office.
post #8032 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, maybe not Mark Mathis, yet, but it appears that WJZY has hired the Rapping Weatherman....

Wonder if WJZY will look the other way if he raps the weather here? Hopefully it will work out better for him vs. Mathis.

Last edited by blackcat6; 07-03-2014 at 04:46 PM.
post #8033 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, maybe not Mark Mathis, yet, but it appears that WJZY has hired the Rapping Weatherman....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-D5qfDyOBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1PMhHuIHj0

Wonder if WJZY will look the other way if he raps the weather here? Hopefully it will work out better for him vs. Mathis.
They may have told him to tone it down and play it serious. But I still miss Mark Mathis. He was an entertaining diversion from the standard fare.
post #8034 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

And speaking of former WCCB talent, I see where Kirk Hawkins is now a reporter with WABC-7 Eyewitness News in NYC. So a great move up for him to a flagship station in the top media market. He was back in NC covering the storm from the coast.
post #8035 of 8221 Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Indeed they are showing This on 14.2, albeit in that horrible stretched 16:9 aspect ratio which they now seem to force on all their SD channels. Eve after correcting that, the picture seems softer than the one on WMYT at the moment.

Retro TV has been moved to 14.3 and Tuff is gone. IMO, no great loss. WHKY transmitted it at such low resolution it was often difficult to watch.

Well sadly I guess this really means the end of This in Charlotte since it would seem that Fox must have given it up. WHKY does a really poor job of providing a signal through a good portion of Mecklenburg county and it's pretty impossible to receive through much of the DMA. If you live in York, Union, Cabarrus, Rowan, and points south of CLT, better look for alternatives.

We had postulated that FOX would drop this station along with Antenna TV and it looks as if this is coming true.

(Edit: WHKY really doesn't seem to understand aspect ratio. This is forced at 16:9 and it is a 4:3 station. On the other hand they are showing Heartland at 4:3 and it should be 16:9. Maybe they are just trying to annoy their viewers.)
Do you think before you type.
All 4 WHKY channels are 16x9
It is my decision to run that way and it is all about the money.
More and more of the commercials that pay the bills are 16x9
Plus nothing I could would ever make you happy, so I don't try.
This is why most of the people that make a living running a TV station don't post anything here now.

I think several of you that post on this site should start a fantasy TV station web site.
I would like to see how many days or hours you would last with the off the wall ideas you have for TV.

Some of us have been at this for a long time, and have come through some bad times, but we are still around!

Tom
post #8036 of 8221 Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
...It is my decision to run that way...
Hmm. If nobody watches the station because the station has an unwatchable picture, then it seems to me you have defeated the purpose of accommodating the adverts in the first place.

I don't think it is too much of a fantasy to wish for a TV show to be transmitted at the correct aspect ratio. I don't think it is an "off the wall" idea either as almost every other station in the market gets it right even with the 16:9 adverts.

If this was solely your decision, then I recommend you check with your management/marketing to see how they feel about it.

Last edited by blackcat6; 07-04-2014 at 12:46 AM.
post #8037 of 8221 Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And speaking of former WCCB talent, I see where Kirk Hawkins is now a reporter with WABC-7 Eyewitness News in NYC. So a great move up for him to a flagship station in the top media market. He was back in NC covering the storm from the coast.
I figured he would be headed towards a higher profile station, and you don't get much more higher profile than that. Shame that he won't be on the air in CLT anymore.
post #8038 of 8221 Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

The people who read these forums tend to be pretty tech savvy, but they need to keep in mind that broadcasters have to serve the whole audience, not just the tech savvy people who know all about aspect ratios, bit rates, etc.

If the tech savvy people don't like the aspect ratio of the image that a station broadcasts, it's easy enough for those viewers to just manually adjust their display settings. But there are a lot of people, especially older people, who neither know nor care about aspect ratios and who would have a lot of difficulty adjusting the settings on their sets. Those people might well prefer to see everything full screen, because that's the way things were before all of this fancy schmancy high def digital modernist malarkey came along. And if that means that the people on the TV screen look pudgy or smooooshed, so be it.

And let's stop whining about SD subchannels taking up bandwidth. Oftentimes the programming on the SD subchannel is superior to what's on the main channel in HD. And some of the stuff that is in SD on a subchannel looks quite good, better than in the analog days.

Last edited by veedon; 07-04-2014 at 09:02 AM.
post #8039 of 8221 Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Great post. It should be ILLEGAL to broadcast out of aspect ratio. I think the FCC should fine stations that do it. It's not only unprofessional and annoying, but it's just plain wrong. All subchannels need to be broadcast like WGHP does their Antenna TV subchannel:

-signal is 16:9
-4:3 Antenna TV programming is pillarboxed so it's properly displayed
-local commercials, local news, and occasional displaced Fox football games are shown in 16:9
-displays properly on all TVs, SD, HD, old, new.
bill875 likes this.
post #8040 of 8221 Old 07-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Doggone it, if I paid for a big screen TV, that doggone TV station better send me a picture that fills the screen!
Don't be giving me none of these geeky arguments against it!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page