50Likes

post #8101 of 8834 Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
They may have changed the aspect ratio on 46.2 Movies channel. The PSIP now says 16:9.
I called WJZY last week and left a voice mail asking them to change 46.2 to 16:9, since Movies! offers that format. No one called me back. So I e-mailed the Movies! network. It's interesting that an engineer from WJZY replied to the e-mail that I had sent only to the Movies! network. LOL! I guess the Movies! people got ahold of the local affiliate, and forwarded them my e-mail and told them to reply to it. The engineer apologized that no one returned my call, and said he would check with his superiors about changing 46.2 to 16:9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8834 Old 07-10-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I called WJZY last week and left a voice mail asking them to change 46.2 to 16:9, since Movies! offers that format. No one called me back. So I e-mailed the Movies! network. It's interesting that an engineer from WJZY replied to the e-mail that I had sent only to the Movies! network. LOL! I guess the Movies! people got ahold of the local affiliate, and forwarded them my e-mail and told them to reply to it. The engineer apologized that no one returned my call, and said he would check with his superiors about changing 46.2 to 16:9.
It was indeed changed to 16:9, but it still appears zoomed in a bit.
post #8103 of 8834 Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Must be a ratings month. WBTV is giving away a house and WCNC is giving away a car.
post #8104 of 8834 Old 07-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Must be a ratings month. WBTV is giving away a house and WCNC is giving away a car.
I just checked NewsBlues

http://www.newsblues.com/

and - indeed - it's SWEEPS through July 30.

So hide the remote, check your disaster safety kit, and head for the hills
post #8105 of 8834 Old 07-10-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the WBTV giveaway, but WCNC is actually paying for a 1 year lease on a car, instead of giving away a car. (in this case a Mercedes)

It will be interesting to see how WJZY affects the ratings at 6PM.
post #8106 of 8834 Old 07-11-2014, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
They did change it, as indicated above, but there is still something wrong. They are not transmitting a 16:9 picture. It looks like a cropped version to 4:3 since in many of the promos from Movies! have parts of the logos and words cut off. This is even worse than what WHKY is doing with its SD channels.
post #8107 of 8834 Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
I just checked NewsBlues

http://www.newsblues.com/

and - indeed - it's SWEEPS through July 30.

So hide the remote, check your disaster safety kit, and head for the hills
Yepper..Just like it is every July, November, February and May! And whatever you do.. DON"T change the channel!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 07-11-2014 at 05:00 AM.
post #8108 of 8834 Old 07-11-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yepper..Just like it is every July, November, February and May! And whatever you do.. DON"T change the channel!
For some reason, February and November are easy to remember - so much so I often think those are the ONLY sweeps months. Thus, I forget about May and July. Are February and November more coveted or are all 4 months equally important?

Eric
post #8109 of 8834 Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Depends on who you ask..we engineers all consider everyday a ratings day..but typically the July book is considered the least important of all.
eacalhoun likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8110 of 8834 Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
tylerSC,

I've read you post. I didn't know you used to live near Washington, DC/Baltimore. The station that former talk-show host Oprah Winfrey got her start in Baltimore was WJZ-TV. Did you know that WUSA-TV (then WTOP/WDVM) refused to air the early years of the popular CBS game show The Price is Right during the Bob Barker heyday?

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)
post #8111 of 8834 Old 07-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
Quote:For some reason the NFL preseason game on WSOC is in 4x3 SD resolution. Redskins v. Titans. Both 9.1 and 9.5 .

The Redskins pre-season game was delivered to WSOC in 4x3, SD. There is NO HD version of the game available outside of Comcast Sports. All the viewers who called the station and called me and my engineering staff every name in the book, I can only say this, 98% of the programming on WSOC is in HD, WHY, Why on Earth would I purposely run this game in SD if it was delivered to me in HD. In viewers eyes, television stations are only as good as the last thing you did. I said this before, television is a privilege, not a right..don't get on the phone and tell me you have the RIGHT to a HD football game.
With NFL season around the corner I haven't seen anything about the Redskins on WSOC this year... Any word on that from any of our Charlotte insiders?
post #8112 of 8834 Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Over one year later and the network logos are still backwards on TiVo for WCCB and WJZY. They have not switched FOX and the CW. Although actual programming listings are correct. Somebody needs to notify TiVo or whoever their data supplier is these days. It was long ago correctly updated on Samsung Smart Hub OnTV menu. TiVo now needs to get it right.
post #8113 of 8834 Old 07-12-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

As of today Kiss 95.1 is now broadcasting an HD Radio signal.
post #8114 of 8834 Old 07-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
With NFL season around the corner I haven't seen anything about the Redskins on WSOC this year... Any word on that from any of our Charlotte insiders?
I do hope that the games are available in HD this year for the non-CSN channels. It's annoying seeing the game in the guide on CSN-MA in HD on the guide, selecting it, getting the blackout message, and getting re-routed to SD! The game vs Cleveland is on ESPN, but the other three are listed in the same manner that they have been in past years. It is interesting that Greensboro and Raleigh don't show the Redskins games on a local station, only the Pathers games, which are are HD outside Charlotte. I don't watch the Redskins on WSOC, I watch it on WDBJ, but it's the same SD nonsense that Charlotte has. What is the point of blacking out CSN-MA but not making it available in HD somewhere else?
post #8115 of 8834 Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
I do hope that the games are available in HD this year for the non-CSN channels. It's annoying seeing the game in the guide on CSN-MA in HD on the guide, selecting it, getting the blackout message, and getting re-routed to SD! The game vs Cleveland is on ESPN, but the other three are listed in the same manner that they have been in past years. It is interesting that Greensboro and Raleigh don't show the Redskins games on a local station, only the Pathers games, which are are HD outside Charlotte. I don't watch the Redskins on WSOC, I watch it on WDBJ, but it's the same SD nonsense that Charlotte has. What is the point of blacking out CSN-MA but not making it available in HD somewhere else?
Sports Blackout Rules is a controversial issue as I know, I don't like it every single minute. http://www.sportsfans.org

Spencer Karter

Last edited by SpencerKarter85; 07-13-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: grammar
post #8116 of 8834 Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

On a cordcutters forum that I frequent, there seem to be plenty of options for getting around any blackout. I don't watch much spectator oriented professional sports myself, so I don't know how they work. I did want to catch the World Cup with the USA, and a few clicks on XBMC and I was watching it in full HD streamed from another country.
post #8117 of 8834 Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Most mid and large cities had all the World Cup games OTA on Univision and Unimas. WUVC reaches the edge of your market, and is on TWC, but I know Charlotte itself and most of the area doesn't have those channels OTA. It's surprising that WHKY or WAXN never became ion and/or Univision.
post #8118 of 8834 Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Most mid and large cities had all the World Cup games OTA on Univision and Unimas. WUVC reaches the edge of your market, and is on TWC, but I know Charlotte itself and most of the area doesn't have those channels OTA. It's surprising that WHKY or WAXN never became ion and/or Univision.
Congrats to Germany on winning. Too bad USA was eliminated

Spencer Karter

post #8119 of 8834 Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
....WUVC reaches the edge of your market, ....
Maybe, but from the Lake Norman area, this is a no go. I knew about the Univision option, but I watched it on an English speaking station.

IMO, Charlotte is under served when it comes to OTA for a city its size. I'd hate to see one of the few stations in this area convert to a Spanish speaking station. My high school Spanish isn't up to it.
post #8120 of 8834 Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Congrats to Germany on winning. Too bad USA was eliminated
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Maybe, but from the Lake Norman area, this is a no go. I knew about the Univision option, but I watched it on an English speaking station.

IMO, Charlotte is under served when it comes to OTA for a city its size. I'd hate to see one of the few stations in this area convert to a Spanish speaking station. My high school Spanish isn't up to it.
I watched less than 5 minutes of the World Cup total honestly. But I did watch it on WUVC because it's local and I didn't want to give ESPN ratings. I hate how they turn to World Cup TV for a month. Since I prefer soccer that doesn't create wasted stadiums and displaced people, WUVC Univision and WTNC Unimas both show Mexican and MLS Soccer in HD so that's a plus.

When I was looking for a place to "move" to on Directv, I ruled out Charlotte due to the lack of options. I was surprised to see so few common secondary network channels and two rather uninteresting independent channels. I originally stayed in the Greensboro market, but chose Lexington. The old Directv agreement with the Bobcats didn't show them beyond a 75 mile radius from Charlotte. I got WSOC as a SV local during that time.

Last edited by ejb1980; 07-14-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #8121 of 8834 Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Same story for WGGS in Greenville, SC. They turned down ION (then Pax) and still become Religious Independent as of this day. WGGS is the first Independent TV station in the state of South Carolina when it signed on in 1972.

Spencer Karter

post #8122 of 8834 Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Same story for WGGS in Greenville, SC. They turned down ION (then Pax) and still become Religious Independent as of this day. WGGS is the first Independent TV station in the state of South Carolina when it signed on in 1972.
You know not of what you speak about WGGS. They are on one of the old "FCC Educational" channels. It can not be a commercial station. This is why it is run the way it is. We helped Rev. Jimmy Thompson And JoAnn Thompson get started. My Father built the station on Paris Mt for them in 1972.(Studio and TX was all on the Mt)
bdfox18doe and A J like this.

Tom
post #8123 of 8834 Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, a lot of bad info getting tossed out here by some.
A J and eacalhoun like this.

Bob

post #8124 of 8834 Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

WBTV is running an advert for, presumably, a TV broadcaster lobbyist group that encourages people to call their congressional representatives to let them know that cable (what they call pay TV) companies are all evil bastards and shouldn't be listened too. LOL

Though the advert doesn't say, I assume this about the Obama administration's desire to repack the TV broadcast spectrum even further so that the resulting bandwidth can be sold off to private interests.

Well..... good luck with that.
post #8125 of 8834 Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
You know not of what you speak about WGGS. They are on one of the old "FCC Educational" channels. It can not be a commercial station. This is why it is run the way it is. We helped Rev. Jimmy Thompson And JoAnn Thompson get started. My Father built the station on Paris Mt for them in 1972.(Studio and TX was all on the Mt)
Jimmy and JoAnn Thompson hosted Dove Broadcasting and Niteline Christian programming on Channel 16 for many years, until their passing a few years ago. I believe their sons or immediate family now operate the station. They have also carried TBN and other Christian networks over the years, as well as PTL back in the day. And JoAnn helped produce and host Tammy Faye's last TV show, the You Can Make It! program which was taped at the WGGS studio. I believe they may still carry the new Jim Bakker program, as well as other local Christian programming from the Upstate area and Georgia. To this day they still have the local Niteline show every night with local pastors, music, and guests.
post #8126 of 8834 Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I know it may be apples to oranges, comparing FM radio to UHF TV. But, at my location in Greenville, SC, I lose WSOC-TV Channel 9, RF34 during the day, due to distance and service contour. With an attic antenna. But, interestingly, with basic rabbit ears, I can still get a strong signal from WSOC-FM 103.7 radio during the day, which also broadcasts from a similar location in Mecklenburg County. They must have a very strong transmitter, as the only other Charlotte radio I receive strong is from the Gaston County towers, such as 95.1, 96.1, 101.9, 102.9, and 107.9. And I know WSOC radio and TV are now 2 separate companies, but for whatever technical reasons, the FM signal seems to go a bit further than the UHF TV. But I often get RF34 most of the time at night, and sometimes RF30. But 103.7 has a very strong signal.
post #8127 of 8834 Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know it may be apples to oranges, comparing FM radio to UHF TV. But, at my location in Greenville, SC, I lose WSOC-TV Channel 9, RF34 during the day, due to distance and service contour. With an attic antenna. But, interestingly, with basic rabbit ears, I can still get a strong signal from WSOC-FM 103.7 radio during the day, which also broadcasts from a similar location in Mecklenburg County. They must have a very strong transmitter, as the only other Charlotte radio I receive strong is from the Gaston County towers, such as 95.1, 96.1, 101.9, 102.9, and 107.9. And I know WSOC radio and TV are now 2 separate companies, but for whatever technical reasons, the FM signal seems to go a bit further than the UHF TV. But I often get RF34 most of the time at night, and sometimes RF30. But 103.7 has a very strong signal.
I was able to get 103.7 (poorly but still there) WSOC with my tv antenna until a translator knocked it out for me. Now the only Charlotte signal I can get occasionally is staticy WEND. At my old job in Graham, WEND came in most mornings which shocked me.
post #8128 of 8834 Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was able to get 103.7 (poorly but still there) WSOC with my tv antenna until a translator knocked it out for me. Now the only Charlotte signal I can get occasionally is staticy WEND. At my old job in Graham, WEND came in most mornings which shocked me.
103.7, 104.7, and 106.5 broadcast from the northeast side of Charlotte, so they may make it a bit further towards Greensboro. But I have heard that 103.7 may have a stronger transmitter. Which may explain why I get better reception from WSOC radio rather than WSOC-TV. Although, like I said, FM and UHF are probably entirely different. But a good TV antenna will also get FM radio as long as it has the lower VHF elements. Those newer 7-69 antennas are not optimized for FM but may get it anyway. I have a Winegard 6000 FM antenna in the attic and it works excellent, and is not too large. I get GSP, Charlotte, and some Asheville and Columbia with a Sony HD Radio. And most of the Charlotte are HD. I use a UVSJ to combine with a 43XG UHF antenna for TV reception, and a Kitztech 100 preamp. But somewhere in the line I need to add in some rabbit ears for WLOS, as the FM antenna will get 7 and 9(29), but not 13.
post #8129 of 8834 Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Tyler, you can't compare signal transmission with a delta of 500mhz. FM is right above VHF Ch.6 and you understand the difference alone in the antenna differences of VHF Low to UHF, so in short you should have your answer.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8130 of 8834 Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Tyler, you can't compare signal transmission with a delta of 500mhz. FM is right above VHF Ch.6 and you understand the difference alone in the antenna differences of VHF Low to UHF, so in short you should have your answer.
Yea I pretty much realized there was a difference between UHF and FM radio. But I still think I heard WSOC-FM has a more powerful transmitter than the other radio stations. I don't know but they do have a good signal.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page