Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #8161 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The first thing I remember seeing with Garner in it was Support Your Local Sheriff when I was a kid in the summer of 1970. Saw it in a movie theater on EielsonAir Force Base in Fairbanks, AK. At the time it was a vast SAC military base and the 1st line of defense against the Soviets should they launch a bomber nuclear attack on the USA. That base and the James Garner movie were the two things I remember about that summer.

Maybe more on topic, I also remember the local TV did not have up to date sports or national news or programming. Since civilian TV satellite was still in its infancy, and no TV telephone feeds, everything had to be shipped to the local TV station on tape. So all the football games & TV shows were several days to a week old.

Last edited by blackcat6; Yesterday at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8162 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
The first thing I remember seeing with Garner in it was Support Your Local Sheriff when I was a kid in the summer of 1970. Saw it in a movie theater on EielsonAir Force Base in Fairbanks, AK. At the time it was a vast SAC military base and the 1st line of defense against the Soviets should they launch a bomber nuclear attack on the USA. That base and the James Garner movie were the two things I remember about that summer.

Maybe more on topic, I also remember the local TV did not have up to date sports or national news or programming. Since civilian TV satellite was still in its infancy, and no TV telephone feeds, everything had to be shipped to the local TV station on tape. So all the football games & TV shows were several days to a week old.
Before the late 1950s when Videotape existed, TV stations have to record network shows on Kinescope film so they could show it outside the network feed and mostly in the West Coast too. It's a shame they don't make Kinescopes anymore.

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. James Garner (April 7, 1928-July 19, 2014) a legend gone but never forgotten.
post #8163 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WCCB-TV to launch Antenna TV in Charlotte

By cmarcucci on Jul, 21 2014 with Comments 0
  • Share0Tweet1Share0Share0Share3
Antenna TV, Tribune Broadcasting’s digital multicast network, announce a new affiliate for the network in Charlotte when Bahakel Communications’ WCCB-TV launches Antenna TV on its multicast channel 18.2 beginning 8/15.
Antenna TV, which is now available on 88 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 71% of TV households, features a lineup of classic favorites such as: Three’s Company , Too Close for Comfort, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Dennis the Menace, Father Knows Best, Bachelor Father, Hazel, The Partridge Family, Sanford and Son, Maude, Diff’rent Strokes, WKRP in Cincinnati, All in the Family, Good Times, The Three Stooges, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, The Jack Benny Program, The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin, Gidget, The Flying Nun, It Takes a Thief and Antenna TV Theater, a movie block featuring MGM and Sony movies.
“WCCB is excited to team with Tribune Broadcasting in bringing Antenna TV to the Charlotte market. It is a perfect complement to our existing entertainment programming,” said Jim White VP/GM WCCB.
Antenna TV is available as a digital multicast channel on 88 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 71% of TV households, including WPIX-TV (11.2) New York, KTLA-TV (5.2) Los Angeles, and WGN-TV (9.2) Chicago.

Read more at http://rbr.com/wccb-tv-to-launch-ant...BDKFMzTMm1e.99
post #8164 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Before the late 1950s when Videotape existed, TV stations have to record network shows on Kinescope film so they could show it outside the network feed and mostly in the West Coast too. It's a shame they don't make Kinescopes anymore.
The real shame is how many kinescopes still exist. Not a lot.
Almost all of Dumont's programs produced on TV cameras are gone. A great many programs from the other networks are lost, too.
Storing programs in any format costs a bit of money.
Just as bad is how many programs recorded on early VTR's are gone. All but a few minutes of the Tonight show from New York (Paar and Carson), recorded on videotape, were erased to reuse the tape. When Carson moved the show to California and got hold of production, his people archived the show.
post #8165 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so happy Antenna TV is coming back to Charlotte! I actually got an E-mail from them today after I sent them one a while back:

Antenna TV is happy to announce that starting Friday, August 15th, we will be available over-the-air with an indoor or outdoor antenna on WCCB 18.2 in the Charlotte area.

Please contact your cable provider and request they add WCCB 18.2 Antenna TV to their channel lineup.

Thanks,
Kari
Antenna TV

Thank you to WCCB which will now be Charlotte's home of my two favorite digital broadcast networks. Now I just hope Charter adds it again in the near future!
post #8166 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
WCCB-TV to launch Antenna TV in Charlotte

By cmarcucci on Jul, 21 2014 with Comments 0
  • Share0Tweet1Share0Share0Share3
Antenna TV, Tribune Broadcasting’s digital multicast network, announce a new affiliate for the network in Charlotte when Bahakel Communications’ WCCB-TV launches Antenna TV on its multicast channel 18.2 beginning 8/15.
Antenna TV, which is now available on 88 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 71% of TV households, features a lineup of classic favorites such as: Three’s Company , Too Close for Comfort, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Dennis the Menace, Father Knows Best, Bachelor Father, Hazel, The Partridge Family, Sanford and Son, Maude, Diff’rent Strokes, WKRP in Cincinnati, All in the Family, Good Times, The Three Stooges, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, The Jack Benny Program, The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin, Gidget, The Flying Nun, It Takes a Thief and Antenna TV Theater, a movie block featuring MGM and Sony movies.
“WCCB is excited to team with Tribune Broadcasting in bringing Antenna TV to the Charlotte market. It is a perfect complement to our existing entertainment programming,” said Jim White VP/GM WCCB.
Antenna TV is available as a digital multicast channel on 88 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 71% of TV households, including WPIX-TV (11.2) New York, KTLA-TV (5.2) Los Angeles, and WGN-TV (9.2) Chicago.

Read more at http://rbr.com/wccb-tv-to-launch-ant...BDKFMzTMm1e.99

Wish we had an AntennaTV subchannel in Greenville, SC DMA since the market is lacking diversity also there's no Bounce subchannel affiliate either in our market. Fortunately, I get AntennaTV over the air via Augusta, GA's WRDW 12.3 since I get a good signal of the adjacent Augusta, GA locals over the air with an outdoor antenna.

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. James Garner (April 7, 1928-July 19, 2014) a legend gone but never forgotten.
post #8167 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Glad to see Antenna TV is coming back, I love several of the shows they air. Even happier to have it on WCCB, which comes in better than WJZY for me.

I assume this means QVC is out?
post #8168 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Glad to see Antenna TV is coming back, I love several of the shows they air. Even happier to have it on WCCB, which comes in better than WJZY for me.

I assume this means QVC is out?
I am glad Antenna TV is coming back, but unfortunately I do not receive reliable reception of WCCB at my location. I was able to see it on 46.2. But I keep hoping a GSP station may eventually pick it up. My 2 favorites are Antenna TV and MeTV. Which fortunately I do get 7.2 .
post #8169 of 8174 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

So does this mean WCCB will have 4 subchannels, or that one will go? QVC or MeTV.

Personally I find MeTV to be of much higher caliber than Antenna TV. Of the two I'd rather keep MeTV. Antenna TV makes very few changes to it's programming and hence becomes very stale after a while.

QVC. - don't see the point in it.
post #8170 of 8174 Old Today, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Classic Dr. Who is coming to Retro TV. If any of you were around in the 1980s you might remember this show being shown on UNCTV in the afternoons.

The local affiliate is WHKY 14.3 (I think.)

http://www.myretrotv.com/news/retro-...sic-doctor-who
post #8171 of 8174 Old Today, 05:11 AM

MeTV is without a doubt the best sub-channel we have in Charlotte. I just hope, hope, hope they don't ruin it. TVLand started out great too, until the people who run it, literally destroyed it. What does a home makeover show have to do with classic television? And they take a 30-minute sitcom that is already cut to a 22-minute run time to get more commercials in, and then increase it to 37 minutes to get even more commercials in. So you end up with 22 minutes of Andy Griffith with 15 minutes of commercials - roughly 60/40.

Thus far, MeTV has stayed consistent, but if they ever start trying to "broaden their appeal", then what we love will all be over.

That said, AntennaTV is a great sub-channel as well. Having them right together on the dial will be a convenience, because I will no longer have to set my "last channel" button to switch between the two - channel up and channel down will work fine. I kind of like the fact that AntennaTV doesn't change their schedule much - an hour of "Archie" and an hour of "Fred" every evening indefinitely would be to my liking.

I believe MeTV and AntennaTV "watch" each other very closely, because they are both keen on the classic tv niche (as opposed to the movie niche on most other sub-channels). An example is that when AntennaTV when to the Friday night movies, MeTV started their made-for-TV movies on Friday night shortly thereafter. Then after AntennaTV dropped it, MeTV quickly stopped theirs as well.

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; Today at 05:14 AM.
post #8172 of 8174 Old Today, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only think I don't like about Me-TV is when they rapidly speed up certain parts of their programs to fit in more commercials. It is especially noticeable when music is playing. I wish they would just speed up the entire program a little bit (except for maybe the credits) instead of playing some of it at normal speed and some at rapid speed.
post #8173 of 8174 Old Today, 07:24 AM

Also, our local MeTV affiliate, WCCB 18.3, will sometimes add more local commercials at the end of a commercial break, and when the program comes back on, you can tell they JIP'd it. (joined in progress).

That was clear a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, when 18.2 ceased QVC for the day and started showing a straight feed of MeTV (as opposed to "MeTV Charlotte" on 18.3). The straight feed on 18.2 had finished the commercial break and the show was back on, while 18.3 was still showing a local commercial, and then JIP'd the next act of the show.

I noticed the same day that 18.3 cut out the entire closing credits for one of the Saturday afternoon westerns to play another commercial. So what 18.3 showed was the last act of one show, several commercials, and then the start of the next show, with no real ending to the show that just went off (but the straight feed on 18.2 did broadcast the closing credits).
post #8174 of 8174 Old Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Perhaps WCCB will correct the aspect ratio for Antenna TV. It was always zoomed in to fill up the screen on WJZY.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page