32Likes

post #8191 of 8215 Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am glad Antenna TV is coming back, but unfortunately I do not receive reliable reception of WCCB at my location. I was able to see it on 46.2. But I keep hoping a GSP station may eventually pick it up. My 2 favorites are Antenna TV and MeTV. Which fortunately I do get 7.2 .
The Greenville, SC DMA is LACKING DIVERSITY when it comes to OTA subchannel offerings Since we don't have Bounce or AntennaTV in our DMA. I would love to see WMYA replace that redneck Zuus Country for Bounce one day, and WYCW replace the SD version of WSPA 7 on 62.2 with AntennaTV one day.

Little stunned that Dragnet 19xx and Adam-12 moving to CoziTV next year, since Universal owns the rights. I know they have Adam-12 and Emergency! on Hulu.

Spencer Karter

Wish the Greenville, SC DMA added AntennaTV, Bounce, CoziTV over the air one day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44
MeTV has announced a few new shows (new old shows?) that it will be adding in the fall.
These include "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", "Chips", and "Black Sheep Squadron".

I haven't seen any announcements yet of what shows AntennaTV plans to add.

MeTV seems to always have a summer lineup that is different from the rest of the year.
AntennaTV, on the other hand, does not seem to do a special lineup for the summer.
AntennaTV's best shows are the ones that don't get great time slots, such as "Burns and Allen".

Will WCNC be left with any options at all for replacing LiveWell?
What's still available? Cozi?

Bounce is often on Univision affiliates, but Charlotte doesn't have a Univision station.
post #8193 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

I read that in the 1960's, an hour of television contained 9 minutes of commercials. Now it's 18 minutes.
post #8194 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
AntennaTV's best shows are the ones that don't get great time slots, such as "Burns and Allen".

Yeah, great show along with Jack Benny and Bachelor Father, although it seems that Antenna TV only views a *select* few of Jack Benny's programs. That series ran for 20 years if I remember correctly, so there should be plenty of episodes to choose from.

Father Knows Best is another great Antenna TV sitcom.
post #8195 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I read that in the 1960's, an hour of television contained 9 minutes of commercials. Now it's 18 minutes.

I would like to see these vintage TV shows aired in much the same way that Movies! airs theirs. It wouldn't matter to me if it took 35 to 40 minutes to air something that used to run in 30 minutes in the old days of less commercial time. Some shows are edited so much that they lose part of their meaning.
post #8196 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
Yeah, great show along with Jack Benny and Bachelor Father, although it seems that Antenna TV only views a *select* few of Jack Benny's programs. That series ran for 20 years if I remember correctly, so there should be plenty of episodes to choose from.

Father Knows Best is another great Antenna TV sitcom.

Jack Benny was on the radio from 1932 until the mid 1950's.
His TV show ran from 1950 to 1965, but it was not a weekly show in the early years.
Some of the early TV shows were live, not filmed, and some of those live shows dealt with humor related to current events of the day. So some of those early shows would not work well on TV today, even if the old kinescopes were still available,
post #8197 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

One difference between AntennaTV and MeTV, at least according to their published program schedules, is that shows on AntennaTV apparently don't have their airtimes adjusted for the west coast. So an AntennaTV show that is airing at 9:00 p.m. Eastern time is aired on the west coast at 6:00 p.m. Pacific time.

That seems really strange. MeTV must have a separate feed for the Pacific time zone, because its schedule says that shows in the Eastern and Pacific time zones air at the same local times, which is the way the big broadcast networks schedule things.
post #8198 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Just saw promo. New graphics from Gannett debut Wednesday on WCNC newscasts.
post #8199 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Jack Benny was on the radio from 1932 until the mid 1950's.
His TV show ran from 1950 to 1965, but it was not a weekly show in the early years.
Some of the early TV shows were live, not filmed, and some of those live shows dealt with humor related to current events of the day. So some of those early shows would not work well on TV today, even if the old kinescopes were still available,
Yep.
Both The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show and The Jack Benny Program began in 1950.
By the time Burns and Allen stopped production, in 1958, there had been at least twice as many episodes of their show as Benny's.. Even though Benny's program went on to '65, in numbers of episodes, Benny was still behind. Most of the Benny episodes available today seem to be from the last 8 years of the program.
post #8200 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
MeTV has announced a few new shows (new old shows?) that it will be adding in the fall.
These include "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", "Chips", and "Black Sheep Squadron".

I haven't seen any announcements yet of what shows AntennaTV plans to add.

Bounce is often on Univision affiliates, but Charlotte doesn't have a Univision station.
  • Those 3 shows on MeTV are pretty good. Especially looking forward to UNCLE. Haven't seen it in a very long time.
  • AntennaTV doesn't seem to add much in the way of new shows. Most of what they do is shift shows around.
  • Charlotte has Bounce on Raycom's 3.2 (WBTV) This was one of their launch stations. Bounce has recently added shows now that appeal to the general population like Catch 21 & Newlywed Game. They also show some interesting Blaxploitation films on Saturdays. Some not seen on TV since the '70s.

Classic Doctor Who starts on Retro TV on August 4 (or 5). The first episode will be the very rarely seen 1st Dr. from 1963.
post #8201 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
..... it seems that Antenna TV only views a *select* few of Jack Benny's programs.......
I suspect it is a matter of copyright and rights concerning the various artists that used to appear on this show. Some of the licensing fees may exceed what Antenna TV wants to pay for the show. There is a wider range of shows available for purchase through Amazon video.

I also notice that Donna Reed on MeTV does not show the last few seasons either. Maybe its for the same reason. As those kids got older, both got into pop music and I suspect there are "rights" issues with that and some of the other artists that showed up as a result.

A lot of older programs from the 1950s, many of them quite good, are not suitable for today's broadcast TV because the old kinescopes are in such bad shape. A good example is Science Fiction Theatre.
post #8202 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
One difference between AntennaTV and MeTV, at least according to their published program schedules, is that shows on AntennaTV apparently don't have their airtimes adjusted for the west coast. So an AntennaTV show that is airing at 9:00 p.m. Eastern time is aired on the west coast at 6:00 p.m. Pacific time.

That's probably true.

I was in Central Time for a few weeks recently, and Antenna TV's programing aired one hour earlier than it did on the east coast.
post #8203 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's probably true.

I was in Central Time for a few weeks recently, and Antenna TV's programing aired one hour earlier than it did on the east coast.
But that's just the normal way of doing things in the Central time zone. Prime time in the Central time zone is 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. All of the major networks have their shows running simultaneously in the Eastern and Central time zones, but the Pacific time zone has to wait until its prime time rolls around. That's the way things have been for years.

What's weird about Antenna TV is that its Eastern time zone prime time lineup airs from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m on the west coast. That's not normal. AntennaTV must have only one feed.
post #8204 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
MeTV must have a separate feed for the Pacific time zone
They do not. There is a server at each local affiliate that is used for program cover/substitution and delay.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8205 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 PM

I'm hoping to see Rat Patrol on one of these retro stations one of these days.

Wonder why you never see shows like Ben Casey or Dr. Kildare?
post #8206 of 8215 Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
They do not. There is a server at each local affiliate that is used for program cover/substitution and delay.
OK. That explains it. But apparently MeTV's west coast affiliates use those servers to set things up so that the programming that is aired from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on the east coast gets delayed for three hours so that it can also air in prime time on the west coast.

I wonder why AntennaTV doesn't do that. The west coast gets a prime time lineup that is different from what the Eastern and Central time zone stations show during prime time, at least according to the network's web site. Actually, the shows that I like most on AntennaTV run late at night (11 p.m. Eastern or later). I wish they were on at earlier hours here, like they apparently are on the west coast.
post #8207 of 8215 Old 07-27-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

^In the case of Antenna TV, I don't think it matters. They don't really make any distinction of things like primetime because they keep showing the same shows over and over and new programming means moving everything to a new time slot.

See this.

http://antennatv.tv/pdf-schedule/

Doesn't seem worth the effort to put in a commercial grade high availability server just so Mr. Ed can be broadcast 3 hours later.
post #8208 of 8215 Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
^In the case of Antenna TV, I don't think it matters. They don't really make any distinction of things like primetime because they keep showing the same shows over and over and new programming means moving everything to a new time slot.

See this.

http://antennatv.tv/pdf-schedule/

Doesn't seem worth the effort to put in a commercial grade high availability server just so Mr. Ed can be broadcast 3 hours later.
Sure, a talking horse is time slot and time zone flexible. But I notice that "Three's Company" and "Too Close for Comfort", shows that are set in California, have prime-time slots in the Pacific time zone ( 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.).
post #8209 of 8215 Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure, a talking horse is time slot and time zone flexible. But I notice that "Three's Company" and "Too Close for Comfort", shows that are set in California, have prime-time slots in the Pacific time zone ( 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.).
Mr. Ed was set in California. I'm not sure why that even matters.

In 6 months Three's Company & Too Close for Comfort will be in a different time slot.
post #8210 of 8215 Old 07-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Thumbs down Reply to blackcat6's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
I suspect it is a matter of copyright and rights concerning the various artists that used to appear on this show. Some of the licensing fees may exceed what Antenna TV wants to pay for the show. There is a wider range of shows available for purchase through Amazon video.

I also notice that Donna Reed on MeTV does not show the last few seasons either. Maybe its for the same reason. As those kids got older, both got into pop music and I suspect there are "rights" issues with that and some of the other artists that showed up as a result.

A lot of older programs from the 1950s, many of them quite good, are not suitable for today's broadcast TV because the old kinescopes are in such bad shape. A good example is Science Fiction Theatre.
Don't get me started with the music licensing controversy for Pete's sake. It's the reason that some TV shows aren't out on DVD like Memphis Beat and The Wonder Years. IMHO music licensing is a form of censorship by copyright.

Spencer Karter

Wish the Greenville, SC DMA added AntennaTV, Bounce, CoziTV over the air one day
post #8211 of 8215 Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Don't get me started with the music licensing controversy for Pete's sake. It's the reason that some TV shows aren't out on DVD like Memphis Beat and The Wonder Years. IMHO music licensing is a form of censorship by copyright.
Nah, it's just capitalism. Truth, Justice, and the American Way, comrade.
(Oh, that's another show that's coming to one of the retro channels this fall.)
post #8212 of 8215 Old 07-27-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
More promo for WCNC changes coming Wednesday. New Gannett graphics package and talk of new colors. Don't know if that means modifications to the backdrop colors. But too much grey right now. Needs a better mix of grey and blue would look nicer. But HD upgrade looks good.
post #8213 of 8215 Old 07-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Nah, it's just capitalism. Truth, Justice, and the American Way, comrade.
(Oh, that's another show that's coming to one of the retro channels this fall.)
I was watching the church services on my local CBS station (WSPA 7) and they sung the familiar Happy Birthday To You song (unfortunately it's not a public domain song, and it's a controversy too) and it's sadly copyrighted until 2030.

Spencer Karter

post #8214 of 8215 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

It was good to see Chris Justice on WCNC again.
post #8215 of 8215 Old Today, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Reading the Tea Leaves it appears that THIS TV is leaving 55.2 soon. They were added to WHKY on July 1st, and now if you visit the THIS TV website it lists WHKY and WYFF as the only local affiliates.

Looks like FOX is trying to get out of the sub-channel business, other than the ones they own.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page