post #8221 of 8232 Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
No clue, but obviously they don't intend to keep THIS TV on the air if they sought out carriage with WHKY and now THIS TV doesn't list them anymore. I'm sure they can find something though, it seems as though every day another subchannel option launches.
I like some of the diginets that the subchannels carry, but I wonder how much money they make for the stations. From the kind of ads that the subchannels carry, I can't imagine it's much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8232 Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WBTV is currently off the air unexpectedly, as of 3:55am this morning.

EDIT: back on now, as of 5:17am.

Last edited by blackcap93; 07-30-2014 at 02:17 AM.
post #8223 of 8232 Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I like some of the diginets that the subchannels carry, but I wonder how much money they make for the stations. From the kind of ads that the subchannels carry, I can't imagine it's much.
Of course it is a secret, but several of the popular substations in Charlotte show local adverts. WBTV also preempts Bounce 2 hours/day to provide local news with Black anchors. There are local ads on there too.

THIS did show local adverts when it was on WBTV.

If they score the sub-channel on the local cable system then they get carriage fees. This is my theory on why THIS keeps getting denied like an illegitimate child. TWC in Charlotte won't carry it. This is the 2nd time it's been dropped in CLT. It's now on a station in Hickory which chooses to show it in a distorted format AND which has very little OTA coverage in the DMA compared to WJZY.

As far as I know, DISH and DTV for the most part, will not carry the local subchannels on their systems, so no carriage fees there. They do, somewhat provide guide data for them if you hook up an antenna to their receivers. Though I'm not sure, I don't think Uverse does either. (for the handful that actually have it)

Last edited by blackcat6; 07-30-2014 at 03:02 AM.
post #8224 of 8232 Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Of course it is a secret, but several of the popular substations in Charlotte show local adverts. WBTV also preempts Bounce 2 hours/day to provide local news with Black anchors. There are local ads on there too.

THIS did show local adverts when it was on WBTV.

If they score the sub-channel on the local cable system then they get carriage fees. This is my theory on why THIS keeps getting denied like an illegitimate child. TWC in Charlotte won't carry it. This is the 2nd time it's been dropped in CLT. It's now on a station in Hickory which chooses to show it in a distorted format AND which has very little OTA coverage in the DMA compared to WJZY.

As far as I know, DISH and DTV for the most part, will not carry the local subchannels on their systems, so no carriage fees there. They do, somewhat provide guide data for them if you hook up an antenna to their receivers. Though I'm not sure, I don't think Uverse does either. (for the handful that actually have it)
Most broadcast subchannels show local ads. I wonder how many people actually watch the subchannels on cable. With all of the channels below 1000 now and all the on-demand and other useless cable junk in the 1000s and 1100s, I can't imagine the average viewer would stumble upon the subchannels in the 1200s in most cases when surfing their guide. The primary channel is still mapped to the old analog number so people will still find CBS, ABC, Fox, etc in the regular part of the guide. I have the satellite set-up described in the quoted post and I absolutely love it - the locals are all together, on their proper numbers, most of them have correct guide data, and you are not limited to the DMA offerings. It's nice to have everything all in one place and in the proper order.
post #8225 of 8232 Old 07-30-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

TWC does have a mind boggling stupid, from an end user perspective, channel numbering scheme.
post #8226 of 8232 Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Though I'm not sure, I don't think Uverse does either. (for the handful that actually have it)
Nah , they don't have it for the most part, unless you count me getting channel 17 UNC-EX and METV's national feed ... Other than that it's just 3,9,18,30,36,42,46,55,58, and 64. Only one really missing is WHKY.
post #8227 of 8232 Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The thing about subchannels is that a station has to be careful that a subchannel complements the programming on the main channel rather than drawing eyeballs away from the main channel and to the subchannel. If the subchannel can draw viewers who otherwise would not watch the station's programming at all, then that's a plus for the station, especially if the station can use some of its ad time on the subchannel to effectively promote the programming on the main channel to viewers who might not know what the main channel has to offer.
post #8228 of 8232 Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it makes much difference. The only local channel that I can think of where people might watch the subchannels more than the main HD channel is WHKY. That one only shows infomercials all day, with the few exceptions of 30 min news & some taped programs from local Baptist churches.

As long as those carriage checks keep rolling in from TWC, DISH, DTV, AT&T, etc I don't think the stations care much anyway.
post #8229 of 8232 Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM
A J

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet2029 View Post
Other than that it's just 3,9,18,30,36,42,46,55,58, and 64. Only one really missing (from Uverse) is WHKY.
Well, WHKY is also missing for a great many of the Charlotte area's OTA viewers. Even with a pre-amp I only get an intermittent, pixelating picture, totally unwatchable. If/when they become the only source for ThisTV I will miss being able to record 'Highway Patrol' in the wee hours and 'In the Heat of the Night' on Sunday evenings.
post #8230 of 8232 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that small 18KW transmitter in E. Charlotte is only good if you live on the E side of I-85 from about Harrisburg down to just past downtown Charlotte. Much past I-485 or even S. of 74 it drops off fast. A friend of mine at Southpark says it's impossible to pick up WHKY. I can't reliably pick it up from Huntersville even though it's just 14 miles away. WTVI on the same tower if very strong even off the backside of an antenna.

I can pick up that station by pointing my db8 directly towards their main tower in Hickory, and of late, it's even been reliable. But since there isn't much else of interest in that direction, I can't imagine that many in CLT would do this. I have 3 antennas hooked to my DVR, but most people won't have this.

So effectively, when WJZY/WMYT drop THIS, it's gone from most of the CLT market. Hopefully they will replace it with something else equivalent. Someone dropped a rumor here some time ago, they might put some sort of hispanic station on it.
post #8231 of 8232 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 89
WCNC now has the new Gannett graphics on its newscasts. Themed like USA Today colors for News, Sports, Money, and Life.
post #8232 of 8232 Old Today, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WCNC now has the new Gannett graphics on its newscasts. Themed like USA Today colors for News, Sports, Money, and Life.
Reminds me of watching TV on a Windows 8 computer. ..... except on a computer you can turn it off.

They should probably tone it back a bit. Then again, they don't seem to have much of an issue with eye assaulting colors & graphics. Add the top & bottom banner and at times, I'm guessing somewhere around 35-40% of the screen is covered by these new graphics.

I do like the new weather 7 day forecast graphics, and the bottom banner is nice on its on.

Some of the banners have adverts in them.

Last edited by blackcat6; Today at 03:24 AM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List