Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #8311 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The issues with the Washington/New England game last night were at the uplink. They were unable to gives us a repair time. We had no choice but to go to ABC Net for 12 minutes.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8312 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
The issues with the Washington/New England game last night were at the uplink. They were unable to gives us a repair time. We had no choice but to go to ABC Net for 12 minutes.
Let's hope tonight goes well...Have backup analog SD 16:9 feed via fiber in case of rain fade..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8313 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Let's hope tonight goes well...Have backup analog SD 16:9 feed via fiber in case of rain fade..
Good luck. I will be down on the field for pre-game. News wants to double fiber from the field to SNG lot.

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #8314 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good luck. I will be down on the field for pre-game. News wants to double fiber from the field to SNG lot.
Then go over and say Hey to our guys on the field. Or maybe I should say "swim" over in looking at the radar. We'll be double analog fiber widescreen out as TWTC wants the left one to upgrade to ASi for HD. I will be home and dry watching the high bit-rate distro feed from Raycom to make sure there is no problems with the uplink coming to WCCB...............

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8315 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok guys, tell us laymen what the acronyms mean...

SNG?
ASi?
TWTC?

And any others you can think of...
post #8316 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

ASI - Asynchronous Serial Interface - Mostly, an output of a video encoder carrying one or more compressed streams
TWTC - Time Warner TeleCom - Division/Spin off of TWC dealing mostly in point to point fiber
SNG - Satellite News Gathering ( a news truck with a satellite antenna on top)

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #8317 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Ok guys, tell us laymen what the acronyms mean...

SNG?
ASi?
TWTC?

And any others you can think of...
Satellite News Gathering...Asynchronous Serial Interface..Time Warner Telecom...ENG = Electronic News Gathering ..I'd be here all day!

Bob

post #8318 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Thanks. What opinion do you professionals have on 720p vs. 1080i. I prefer the latter. Although I will watch the Panthers game tonight, I am not a sports fan beyond our local NFL team, meaning I don't watch a whole lot of fast-moving scenes. So for me, it's 1080i hands down. An extra 360 lines of resolution provides a better picture regardless of whether it's progressive or interlaced.

My other question would be, are there any plans for television stations to broadcast in 1080p, or is that technology even possible?
post #8319 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
There are a lot of people who believe that companies like Google would do a better job with the spectrum.

If you said 10 years ago that switched TDM, aka POTS, aka simple land line telephone service, would be put out of business by the FCC, you would have gotten a lot of non-believers too. It's been around for 130 years and at one time MaBell had over a million domestic employees just to make it work.

Yet the FCC has asked AT&T, Verizon, others to put forth a plan to phase it out starting in 2020. It's what happens when a once ubiquitous technology, one that worked remarkably well, is abandoned for something else that provides more perceived value.
-----

But even if you ignore this example, the very fact the broadcasters, at least here in Charlotte are running adverts for people to call their congressmen to stop pay tv operators, speaks for itself. They certainly believe it could happen.
I take it you are refering to this?

http://www.keepmytv.org/action.asp

I can't believe there are older & rather bright technical people out there that truly believe already that OTA TV no longer exists.
The Pay TV industry did an excellent job over the past few decades already to create this mindset.

Quote:
It's a product that free to anyone, yet with even that cost, there are not many takers. What's wrong with this picture?
Good way to put this in a nutshell, I think having Pay TV has become more of a status symbol... everyone complains of lousy service & high rates, yet flock to these companies like lemmings..... I don't get it either.

Quote:
All good points, but the difference is that you pay for phone use, whether landline or cell. Forcing people to switch to the latter, if the cost is kept inline, would be acceptable. I could live with it, as long as they improve the technology, because when my customers call me on a cell, there are often drop-outs on what is already a poor signal.
In addition to my landline, I also still drink water out of the tap. ..
I thought I'm the only one with a landline, OTA & driinking water out of a tap, bottled water, who would had thought.....
post #8320 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I thought I'm the only one with a landline, ..
Nope. I have a landline too. It's the only number I give out to anyone outside of friends and family that have my cell. That way PhoneTrayPro takes care of the undesired calls that never hit my cell.

And yes, the public has been brainwashed regarding OTA.

Bob

post #8321 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Game looked great once they resolved their issues... here are a few screen captures I took of the Redskins last night, OTA via WSOC of course... Great to see more football in our area during the Pre-Season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedskinsBar.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	202977   Click image for larger version

Name:	RedskinsTitle.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	202985  
post #8322 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 AM

There are a few of us left who are parsimonious enough to not buy into technology we don't need. I have a cell phone, but rarely turn it on, because I keep it largely in case I get stranded and need to call Triple-A. I will leave the cell phone conversations to people who enjoy sounding they they are in a tunnel with a handkerchief wrapped around the receiver.

As to TV, my dad (early 70's) asked how I get TV, and I said I watch over the air TV. He said "Over the air TV - what's that?". I was respectful in my reply, but felt like asking if he didn't remember the tin foil over the rabbit ears when I was a kid, and advise that it's the same technology except that today it's all digital. I have told other older people about having only OTA TV, and they say "Well, at least you can get 3 and 9 pretty good". LOL! They are not aware that the limitations of UHF up against VHF no longer exist, now that virtually all TV stations are digital. And when you tell them about something called "sub-channels" they look at you like you are from another planet.
post #8323 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. What opinion do you professionals have on 720p vs. 1080i. I prefer the latter. Although I will watch the Panthers game tonight, I am not a sports fan beyond our local NFL team, meaning I don't watch a whole lot of fast-moving scenes. So for me, it's 1080i hands down. An extra 360 lines of resolution provides a better picture regardless of whether it's progressive or interlaced.

My other question would be, are there any plans for television stations to broadcast in 1080p, or is that technology even possible?
Sports: 720P
Movies & concerts: 1080i

That's my preference, ESPN put's out 18Mbps of MPEG/4 at 720P for a reason.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8324 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not possible under the current ATSC, 8-VSB format. If we go to ATSC 3.0, a lot more possibility including UHD OTA (Its UHD, not 4K. 4K is a production standard, not a broadcast standard)

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

Last edited by Theo1080; 08-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.
post #8325 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
I take it you are refering to this?

http://www.keepmytv.org/action.asp

I can't believe there are older & rather bright technical people out there that truly believe already that OTA TV no longer exists.
The Pay TV industry did an excellent job over the past few decades already to create this mindset.

Good way to put this in a nutshell, I think having Pay TV has become more of a status symbol... everyone complains of lousy service & high rates, yet flock to these companies like lemmings..... I don't get it either.

I thought I'm the only one with a landline, OTA & driinking water out of a tap, bottled water, who would had thought.....

As I say Retransmission Consent is a CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT in recent years. As you may know WBTV's owners (Raycom Media) is threatening to pull the plug to DirecTV subscribers (and other markets that have Raycom stations like WIS in Columbia, WCSC in Charleston, and WTOC in Savannah for example) after first of September if they don't get the so-called ransom.

I know how you feel. I've never loss a single TV station in the Greenville, SC DMA on DirecTV due to a Retransmission Consent impasse (before we subscribed to DirecTV in 2009, there was a blackout for WGGS 16 before that). But folks like rival DISH they had two blackouts so far, October-November 2013 when MediaGeneral blackout DISH customers in GSP area and other markets like Charleston and Savannah, and last April Hearst Television blackout markets including GSP for 14 hours before a new agreement was reached. But last year in Charlotte, NC DMA WBTV (owned by Raycom) was blackout by DISH by Raycom's orders for one week, and WSOC/WAXN was blackout I think on COX for one day on the first of 2014.

I support the American Television Alliance, not the NAB!

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)
post #8326 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 01:13 PM

As I previously mentioned, I cancelled DirecTV 3.5 years ago, and am all OTA. But I remember that DirecTV had a feed of the network flagship affiliates from (I believe) New York for people who could prove they did not have access to an affiliate of a particular network. If a local affiliate gets dropped from DirecTV, people who live close enough to the tower need to invest in a small antenna. People who live too far away need to tell DirecTV this, and they should open up access to the NY affiliate, so you can at least see the programs on the network in question (as for local news, you will have to watch one of the other local stations still on DirecTV).

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 08-08-2014 at 01:16 PM.
post #8327 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
As I previously mentioned, I cancelled DirecTV 3.5 years ago, and am all OTA. But I remember that DirecTV had a feed of the network flagship affiliates from (I believe) New York for people who could prove they did not have access to an affiliate of a particular network. If a local affiliate gets dropped from DirecTV, people who live close enough to the tower need to invest in a small antenna. People who live too far away need to tell DirecTV this, and they should open up access to the NY affiliate, so you can at least see the programs on the network in question (as for local news, you will have to watch one of the other local stations still on DirecTV).
Unfortunately, DirecTV and rival DISH are PROHIBITED from delivering NYC and Los Angeles feeds to anybody unless they served in a unserved area. I know that antiquated law is screwed up. Blame the Exclusivity Rules for that. That's all I have to say my friend.

Spencer Karter

post #8328 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 01:25 PM

But people in West Jefferson (for example) are served by WBTV, but likely would not pick it up OTA, so if they are dropped from satellite/cable, couldn't this be considered an unserved area?
post #8329 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I can't believe there are older & rather bright technical people out there that truly believe already that OTA TV no longer exists. ..
My Mom, who remembers as a kid the time before TV and for many years only had an antenna thought this as well. For the last several decades she has had cable and hadn't thought about OTA in a very long time. When TV went to digital, TWC flatly told her, and apparently many others that cable was the only way to get TV now.

The cable industry did a wonderful job spinning that in their favor. Meanwhile the OTA stations did nothing to let people know that they could now get TV via free OTA and with digital, there was more choice, a better picture than they ever got on cable, subchannels, etc etc etc. So lots of people still think that OTA is long gone.

My mom is a cord cutter now. I posted about that last year. When she shows her friends what she can get with her antenna & Tivo, all her friends want it too. There is nothing on cable that interests them. They think current pop culture stinks. They love MeTV, THIS, AntennaTV, Retro, etc. I could easily start up a business down there putting up antennas via word of mouth, but fortunately I don't need to be paid to climb up on people's homes.

The point, is there is a huge market here which could be exploited by the the OTA broadcasters but they choose to stay drunk on carriage fees. It's their loss in the long run.
post #8330 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
But people in West Jefferson (for example) are served by WBTV, but likely would not pick it up OTA, so if they are dropped from satellite/cable, couldn't this be considered an unserved area?
I'm not an expert. But my best bet, call WBTV.

Spencer Karter

post #8331 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. What opinion do you professionals have on 720p vs. 1080i......
For consumers a lot of it is going to depend upon what they are watching it on. Real time 16:9 HD deinterlacing isn't a small task, it will choke a 2Ghz Core 2 Dual CPU after overheating it if you try to do it in software. More modern processors can keep up, but they will generate some heat that you have to deal with.

So for TVs it's normally done by a GPU designed for the specifically task. The cheap ones will give you a soft picture. or not handle lots of motion well. 720p can look better depending upon the program. It's best done on a HTPC with a dedicated GPU where you can pick the de-interlacing algorithms even changing it for the kind of program being watched. A $50 nvidia card and decent panel can match any professional equipment. (though not exactly plug and play)

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-08-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #8332 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any antenna recommendations for my location (zip 29715). Here is my TV Fool printout: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c694f73da55c

I can mount on the rafters at the NW wall of my attic ~25' above the ground. There will be 2 TVs.Both of those are on that side of the house.

Last edited by CinRG; 08-08-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: wrong TV Fool printout
post #8333 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Then go over and say Hey to our guys on the field. Or maybe I should say "swim" over in looking at the radar. We'll be double analog fiber widescreen out as TWTC wants the left one to upgrade to ASi for HD. I will be home and dry watching the high bit-rate distro feed from Raycom to make sure there is no problems with the uplink coming to WCCB...............
I am waiting for this bird to light and watch as well....

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8334 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRG View Post
Any antenna recommendations for my location (zip 29715). Here is my TV Fool printout: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c694f73da55c

I can mount on the rafters at the NW wall of my attic ~25' above the ground. There will be 2 TVs.Both of those are on that side of the house.
If you were mounting outside, an Antennacraft HBU-33 would do quite nicely. You might even be able to get away with a HBU-22. However I'd go with the 33. Solid signal has good prices on both. These are reasonably priced antennas that are also built in the USA.

Point it at those two clusters of stations. WNSC in Rock Hill should come in fine on the back side. You might have to play with the aim a bit to get it right.

Putting it in the attic, is a crap shoot. Differences in construction, materials, items in the attic that like to reflect signals, water/ice on roof etc, will all affect reliability. I don't recommend it.

Depending upon the length of cable w/splitter, you may need to add a pre-amp. Try it without one first. The Winegard LNA200 is a good model, and occasionally you can find it on sale.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-08-2014 at 03:44 PM.
post #8335 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
If you were mounting outside, an Antennacraft HBU-33 would do quite nicely. You might even be able to get away with a HBU-22. However I'd go with the 33. Solid signal has good prices on both. These are reasonably priced antennas that are also built in the USA.

Point it at those two clusters of stations. WNSC in Rock Hill should come in fine on the back side. You might have to play with the aim a bit to get it right.

Putting it in the attic, is a crap shoot. Differences in construction, materials, items in the attic that like to reflect signals, water/ice on roof etc, will all affect reliability. I don't recommend it.

Depending upon the length of cable w/splitter, you may need to add a pre-amp. Try it without one first. The Winegard LNA200 is a good model, and occasionally you can find it on sale.
Thanks for the response. Not sure I can get away with mounting outside in this neighborhood. There are restrictions. In the attic, it will be pointing to the wall, not the shingles, if that helps. If I go outside, I would need something that doesn't have a horizontal boom.
post #8336 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Not sure I can get away with mounting outside in this neighborhood. There are restrictions. In the attic, it will be pointing to the wall, not the shingles, if that helps. If I go outside, I would need something that doesn't have a horizontal boom.
You may be fine in the attic, you won't know until you try. You may need to play around with placement too.To ASSUME it won't work off the bat is a crap shoot.

Bob

post #8337 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... this is first time I have seen the HD BoJangles spots..Some things should not be in HD....
A J likes this.

Bob

post #8338 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

A small form, Clearstream 2V from Walmart should be adequate for the Charlotte signals. But a better, more reliable choice would indeed be Antennacraft HBU-33 or a Winegard 7696. And possibly a Winegard LNA-200 preamp or a Channel Master distribution amp. And from Fort Mill, you may also receive Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg signals.
post #8339 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Should be no restrictions. It is against the law for an HOA to ban an outside antenna, according to FCC regulations. So you could fight them on that.
post #8340 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

You would almost think the Carolina Panthers are a Greenville-Spartanburg team the way they keep talking about it on WYFF-4. Endless news reports and promos. But the game is now on 4 rather than WSPA-7.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page