post #8341 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRG View Post
Thanks for the response. Not sure I can get away with mounting outside in this neighborhood. There are restrictions. In the attic, it will be pointing to the wall, not the shingles, if that helps. If I go outside, I would need something that doesn't have a horizontal boom.
Your HOA can't restrict a TV antenna or satellite dish less than 1M in diameter. Congress invalidated all those rules in 1996.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

If you want to be diplomatic about it, submit a request to have it approved, attach a copy of that document, that should take care of it. If they decide to stop you, they have to fight the FCC, not you.

------------

It's more of pain for sure to put it outside but it makes for a much more reliable antenna. I suppose it really depends upon how much of that spectrum you want to receive and the reliability during bad weather.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-08-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
A small form, Clearstream 2V from Walmart should be adequate for the Charlotte signals. But a better, more reliable choice would indeed be Antennacraft HBU-33 or a Winegard 7696. ....
It should be noted the CS2V is hugely overpriced. It costs more than 2X the HBU-33 and doesn't perform as nearly as well.

If someone were looking for an indoor antenna for this area, I'd suggest either the Winegard Freevision, can be found for the very reasonable price of less than $35 at Home Depot, or the Solid Signal HDX1080. Similarly priced but you have to buy it online. Those Antenna Direct antennas simply are not good value for the money.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #8343 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
It should be noted the CS2V is hugely overpriced. It costs more than 2X the HBU-33 and doesn't perform as nearly as well.
That is my general sentiment. I gave my free sample away.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8344 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's more of pain for sure to put it outside but it makes for a much more reliable antenna. I suppose it really depends upon how much of that spectrum you want to receive and the reliability during bad weather.
Not necessarily...If you have a big honkin Sycamore tree in the way like I do it still won't be that reliable in bad weather.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8345 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bob I know this is off subject for a game night lol, but the ME-TV schedule for the fall adds many shows, including Andy Griffith. It has an * note that in markets where rights to "Andy Griffith" are owned by a local station it would be replaced by Mayberry R.F.D. Since your station has the rights to both ME-TV and Andy Griffith, do you know yet whether you'll carry Andy on ME-TV or substitute the R.F.D feed?
post #8346 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Bob I know this is off subject for a game night lol, but the ME-TV schedule for the fall adds many shows, including Andy Griffith. It has an * note that in markets where rights to "Andy Griffith" are owned by a local station it would be replaced by Mayberry R.F.D. Since your station has the rights to both ME-TV and Andy Griffith, do you know yet whether you'll carry Andy on ME-TV or substitute the R.F.D feed?
Hey CP,
No I do not..I would not necessarily know about that, as the substitution is done all under the control of MeTv ( which is actually WCIU Chicago ). They do the substitution locally automatically via their Thomson Sapphire server. Tho I will try and ask our program manager next week and see what he says.

Bob

post #8347 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 92
It would be interesting to see Mayberry RFD because they seldom show those reruns, in favor of the original Andy Griffith Show. I believe the last episode of Andy Griffith was called Mayberry RFD, and that was when Andy and Helen Crump got married. After Mayberry RFD debuted, I believe Aunt Bee hung around for a few episodes, but most of the original cast departed.
post #8348 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

I agree, I'm hoping for RFD myself!
post #8349 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a question. Did a beekeeper recently drop by the Charlotte news stations and deliver a burned net?Apparently a major event is coming to Carowinds Aug. 21st, and I am sure the local news channels will all be there.
post #8350 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If someone were looking for an indoor antenna for this area, I'd suggest either the Winegard Freevision, can be found for the very reasonable price of less than $35 at Home Depot, or the Solid Signal HDX1080. Similarly priced but you have to buy it online. Those Antenna Direct antennas simply are not good value for the money.
I also think the Terk HDTVA is a good indoor antenna, but you have to search online for a good price. It is $69 at HHG.
post #8351 of 8821 Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Watched the game tonight on WCCB, but my screenshot actually comes from WYFF to prove a point... couldn't they have dispensed with the logo? Not only did they keep it on the screen, they put it in the 4:3 safe area... and way up from the bottom of the screen because of the other game graphics. I'm just thankful I could watch WCCB's feed without it.

And of course we had to have severe weather during the game...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20140809_001220.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	203897  
post #8352 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Not necessarily...If you have a big honkin Sycamore tree in the way like I do it still won't be that reliable in bad weather.
Well... yeah. LOL

If you had told me about the "big honkin" Sycamore tree, then I would have told you there isn't much you can do about that except to put the antenna elsewhere. Forget even considering your attic. Or better, cut that tree down. Sycamore trees are nice only if they are in someone elses yard.

The quality of a free antenna recommendation over the internet, or for that matter, any technical assessment whether you are amateur or an "engineer" will depend upon the quality of input data provided.

Garbage in = garbage out. True in many aspects of life.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-09-2014 at 01:38 AM.
post #8353 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I also think the Terk HDTVA is a good indoor antenna, but you have to search online for a good price. It is $69 at HHG.
Another hugely overpriced antenna. It's a $5 Silver Sensor design with a $2 cheap amp. A pair of rabbit ears would be a much better buy and better performing.

IMO, Terk sells a lot of plastic junk antennas. Someone else said, and I agree with them. "high fashioned junk" giving you low performance at high prices.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.
post #8354 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Another hugely overpriced antenna. It's a $5 Silver Sensor design with a $2 cheap amp. A pair of rabbit ears would be a much better buy and better performing.

IMO, Terk sells a lot of plastic junk antennas. Someone else said, and I agree with them. "high fashioned junk" giving you low performance at high prices.
I always think of Terk as over priced wall art. You can do better with what Radio Shack has to offer and if you are not happy and least you can return it.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8355 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed that a lot of you are getting the channel 64.2. Is it only available in the Charlotte area? I live in Taylorsville(closer to Hickory) and I cannot get the channel to stay on. I have an outside antenna which works pretty good but am wondering if I can get a booster or something for it. It'd be nice to have some new channels. It would also be nice to have the tv not tile everytime a car passes.
post #8356 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Solid Signal recommended the HDX1080 for the attic. I'm intrigued by the FCC rule. I don't have any issues mounting outside. Would the HBU-33, HBU-22 or HDX1080 meet the size requirement?

Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited by CinRG; 08-09-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added a thanks
post #8357 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Watched the game tonight on WCCB, but my screenshot actually comes from WYFF to prove a point... couldn't they have dispensed with the logo? Not only did they keep it on the screen, they put it in the 4:3 safe area... and way up from the bottom of the screen because of the other game graphics. I'm just thankful I could watch WCCB's feed without it.

And of course we had to have severe weather during the game...
Are you talking about the score banner when you say logo? If so, I found it obnoxious on WTVD, as well - without a weather banner. It was so far from the top of the screen, that it often was in the way of normal football watching. CBS's score banner is at the top like that and it's not in the way so it's something that I hope the Panthers Network will fix before the next game.
post #8358 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRG View Post
Solid Signal recommended the HDX1080 for the attic. I'm intrigued by the FCC rule. I don't have any issues mounting outside. Would the HBU-33, HBU-22 or HDX1080 meet the size requirement?

Thanks for all the help!!
I believe the size requirement, if it still exists, only applies to satellite dishes. You can put of any of these TV antennas without issue.
post #8359 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

No the scorebar is fine, the WYFF logo was persistent and in a really awkward spot on the screen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #8360 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedamsel View Post
I've noticed that a lot of you are getting the channel 64.2. Is it only available in the Charlotte area? I live in Taylorsville(closer to Hickory) and I cannot get the channel to stay on....
It's a weak station. I can barely hold onto it in Huntersville. I've got an attic mounted 4 bay pointed straight at it. I also use that antenna for WSOC & WCCB which are fine.

I can imagine that Taylorsville will be a no go for that one. Maybe the local technican for the station can explain why it's operating at the lower power than say WSOC. From my house, WAXN appears to have 1/2 the signal strength as WSOC.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.
post #8361 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=SpencerKarter85;26405529]Unfortunately, DirecTV and rival DISH are PROHIBITED from delivering NYC and Los Angeles feeds to anybody unless they served in a unserved area. I know that antiquated law is screwed up. Blame the Exclusivity Rules for that. That's all I have to say my friend. [/QUOTE

People who are long-time Directv subscribers who had the service before locals were available and who haven't changed packages still have NY and/or LA locals for ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC. People who don't have CW can also purchase an east or west coast feed of CW (DC and San Diego, I think). Some people who upgraded to HD lost DNS service while others didn't. A friend in northern NH has all Maine locals in HD, all NYC and LA locals in HD, and WMUR HD (NH's only big-4, technically in the Boston market, but mirrored statewide on Directv.) OTA he adds NHPTV, 2 Canadian channels, and Vermont PBS. Not too shabby.

My parents have Dish Network and also have the superstations (CW WPIX, KWGN, KTLA and MY WWOR and WSBK). Dish Network's only advantage to Directv are Epix, Pac12, and the Superstations. They got in trouble many years ago for giving out distant locals, nearly at whim. If you wanted to pay for stations, and lived outside a certain OTA service contour of an affiliate, you could chose 2 each of CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox from NYC, LA, Denver, Chicago, and Atlanta. Who needs Sunday Ticket? I used to change the CBS and Fox as needed to get games I preferred. Now, as a result, they rarely, if at all, are allowed to provide neighboring locals to anyone. I am not sure if it is still this way, but there was a time when they were providing terrible quality DNS Big 4 from a third-party source.
post #8362 of 8821 Old 08-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No the scorebar is fine, the WYFF logo was persistent and in a really awkward spot on the screen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The scorebar seemed really low to me. A friend thought the same, who watched it on WFMY. Maybe we're crazy.
post #8363 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

. They got in trouble many years ago for giving out distant locals, nearly at whim. If you wanted to pay for stations, and lived outside a certain OTA service contour of an affiliate, you could chose 2 each of CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox from NYC, LA, Denver, Chicago, and Atlanta. Who needs Sunday Ticket? I used to change the CBS and Fox as needed to get games I preferred. .....
I had this package for a while back in the 2000s despite living in CLT. I told the rep. that an antenna didn't work where I was and the rep. signed me up. Seems to me it cost $5. I canceled it after a couple of years because we didn't really watch it much. This was back when channels on cable actually had real content instead of scripted "reality" and CNN, FOX, etc still had real news so there was a lot to watch anyway.

DISH will still give you this package if you tell them the receiver is in a RV. They are transmitted on CONUS transponders instead of spot beams.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-10-2014 at 06:50 AM.
post #8364 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had this package for a while back in the 2000s despite living in CLT. I told the rep. that an antenna didn't work where I was and the rep. signed me up. Seems to me it cost $5. I canceled it after a couple of years because we didn't really watch it much. This was back when channels on cable actually had real content instead of scripted "reality" and CNN, FOX, etc still had real news so there was a lot to watch anyway.

DISH will still give you this package if you tell them the receiver is in a RV. They are transmitted on CONUS transponders instead of spot beams.
I still have the NYC nationals on DirecTV. The rules have changed though, a few years ago they sent out post cards to grandfathered users giving two options... you could continue to keep the East & West coast feeds in SD, or you could receive the East or West depending on your service address (in our case east) in HD instead. So I only have East Coast in HD. I've read some rumblings on the RV forums now that they're allowing people to pay the extra $5 and get both networks in HD again, but I haven't tried. The only way to get them from DirecTV today really is to have an RV, or similar heavy camper. You have to fill out forms, send in a copy of the registration, and if everything checks out they light you up. Also they require separate accounts for the house & RV.

Dish doesn't do any Distant Networks anymore. As previously stated they got into hot water with the FCC for letting people "move" at whim or sign up for Distant Networks so they banned them from offering them. Instead they cut a deal with a company named "All American Direct" that leased satellite space from them to offer locals to Dish Customers. You could get them whether you had a Dish subscription or not, if you met the (very loosely enforced) criteria, but only in SD. All American Direct went out of business in February though, so since then Dish has no Distant Channel option. They also don't let new users sign up for the Superstations package anymore, and there have been rumblings that they are going away totally soon.
post #8365 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedamsel View Post
I've noticed that a lot of you are getting the channel 64.2. Is it only available in the Charlotte area? I live in Taylorsville(closer to Hickory) and I cannot get the channel to stay on. I have an outside antenna which works pretty good but am wondering if I can get a booster or something for it. It'd be nice to have some new channels. It would also be nice to have the tv not tile everytime a car passes.
When I lived in Lenoir, I could hardly ever pick up WAXN even though WCCB and WSOC always came in strong (the main stations, not the Valdese translators). The reason for that was adjacent-channel interference from WTBL (channel 49; WAXN is on 50), which was only 2 1/2 miles away from me. One night, WTBL was out for a little while and WAXN's signal quality instantly jumped from 3% and breaking up to 30%!
post #8366 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dish doesn't do any Distant Networks anymore.
Ahh. OK, It's been 2.5 years since I got rid of Dish and went cord cutter, so I don't keep up with them. On the other hand, they are still sending me weekly offers in the mail after all this time to get me to re-sub. I've probably tossed a tree or two's worth of paper from them into the recycling.
post #8367 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Maybe the local technican for the station can explain why it's operating at the lower power than say WSOC. From my house, WAXN appears to have 1/2 the signal strength as WSOC.
WSOC-TV has a license to operate at 1000 KW ERP while WAXN-TV has a license to operate at 150 KW ERP. Rules are rules.

Check123
post #8368 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
WSOC-TV has a license to operate at 1000 KW ERP while WAXN-TV has a license to operate at 150 KW ERP. Rules are rules. Check123
Yea, of course we engineers know that.. Trip has all that data on www.rabbitears.info

Bob

post #8369 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am giving away my age here, but when I was a kid in the 70's, TV stations still came on the air around 6:00 AM and went off around 1:00 AM, with some video of a waving flag and audio of the national anthem. WSOC gave statistics and licensing information at the morning signon. The audio-only announcement was recorded by Ray Barath, and I specifically remember him mentioning that channel 9's transmitter, located in Newell, NC, operated under "relay station KJA50".

What does "relay station KJA50" mean specifically?
post #8370 of 8821 Old 08-10-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The license for KJA50 is still active, it turns out.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...?licKey=960250

For most TV stations, the studio is in one location, while the transmitter is at another, generally more rural and higher elevation location. In order to get the signal from the studio to the transmitter, you either need a cable going from one place to the other, or some other signal has to be transmitted. In WSOC's case, they have a studio-transmitter link (STL) around 7 GHz which has the call sign KJA50, as opposed to (or, perhaps these days, in addition to--Ted can tell you for sure) a fiber link.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page