Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #811 of 8240 Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I pick up Columbia and Greenville stations with a 4221 on a rotor. WSPA (CBS) in Greenville was my source for pristine CBS HD NFL games until they added a weather subchannel last year. Still superior to WBTV, but not reference HD quality any longer. They also aren't subject to the Panthers Home Game restrictions enforced by the NFL so your NFL selection is greatly increased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8240 Old 03-14-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post

...I am on the second floor with my balcony facing mostly south and west.

If I were you, and didn't want to invest in much until you know what you'll get, I'd use analog as a guide. Go to antennaweb.com and see what analog stations you are "supposed" to get. Then, with whatever antenna you have (rabbit ears? since I doubt your apartment lets you have external antenna) see what you actually get. Then switch over to the digital page of antenna web and draw a line at the equivalent place where your analog gets too bad to watch. That's likely the best guess at what you'll get in digital. You'll at least know if you get the Concord farm or Dallas farm. But since you're facing south and in the south, you might get those ones 'down there', south of you, that I don't get. If you want to spend the minimum for OTA digital, you can buy a PCI digital tuner board for your PC; search fusion 5 lite, or A180 for the cheapest ones. They'll put a nice HD picture up on your PC monitor for about $150 (don't hold me to that price, though). Then you can buy your 'real' HD setup and sell the board on eBay, or give it to helpful forum folks in Charlotte (ha).

--Dale--
post #813 of 8240 Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe View Post

If you've got another explanation I'd love to hear it. I didn't change a thing from the Super Bowl but this time I got nothing. I've been watching HDTV since January 2002. From that time until April 2005 it was in Houston on a silver sensor on top of the STB with a channel master pre-amp. Now I use a Channel Master 4 bay with the same pre-amp in the attic of a two story house.

WBTV drops out on me here in Davidson. It makes it look like a bad 3:2 pulldown or something. Win MEdia center doesn't have a very good signal strength indicator, but the fusion 5 I have shows the signal dropping from 65 to 85. The other regular stations seem to be fine as they usually sit around 100% to 90%. Would a Channel Master amp help me in this situtation? I have a terk TV32 mounted outside on a tree (it's a dead tree that's been cut down, except for the last 12 feet or so, making a good place to put my antenna out of the way)
I can't turn it more into the signal without it pointing directly at the house. I have it pointed between the 2 main clusters of towers, according to antennaweb.
Any thoughts on a preamp? I have the naga 42 sceptre on the way to me in a few weeks, and I'd like to be able to record csi and now the unit with ota as opposed to directivo and standard def. I'm using the Fusion5 with a media center pc with about 400gigs to act as a second tivo, as after 4 years with my tivo, I could never give it up.
I cant go cable out here, as nothing reaches me, so the ota is about my only choice. I have D*TV(is that the right abbreviation or is it D*, it's a direc tivo?)
I'm obviously just getting into the HD world, but from my experience so far, it's a lot of fun.
Sorry for the rambeling and thanks for the help.
William

I gotta have more cowbell, Baby!
------------------------------------------
When all else fails, reboot.
post #814 of 8240 Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 AM

I recently purchased a SOny KD30XSS955 and I am having to use an indoor antenna since I live in an apartment. I am in South Charlotte past 485. I am using a Radio Shack 15-1892 indoor antenna. I am receiving all stations fine except NBC channel 36. It constantly fluctuates in and out and is never very stable. Most of the other local stations are in the 80-90 signal strength range and only have occassional drop outs. Any suggestions?
post #815 of 8240 Old 03-23-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post

I recently purchased a SOny KD30XSS955 and I am having to use an indoor antenna since I live in an apartment. I am in South Charlotte past 485. I am using a Radio Shack 15-1892 indoor antenna. I am receiving all stations fine except NBC channel 36. It constantly fluctuates in and out and is never very stable. Most of the other local stations are in the 80-90 signal strength range and only have occassional drop outs. Any suggestions?

I purchased the Channel MAster 7777 and installed it yesterday. My signal is now 95-100% on all of the big 4, and I even get the WB in with no dropouts now(not that I ever watch the WB)
I was skeptical at first, but now I'm glad I got it, and it wasn't even as expensive as I thought it would be, only around 50 bucks.
A good amplifier might work for you too.

post #816 of 8240 Old 03-23-2006, 05:20 AM

I live in a low area in Cornelius and have not been able to obtain an HDTV signal from ABC in Charlotte. I do get the analog signal.

I receive all of the other Charlotte area DTV broadcasts. I get an 84% signal on Fox. I am using two high gain antennas which are mounted in my attic. I also have a low noise Channelmaster amplifier on the antenna pointed toward Charlotte. Has anyone else in the Cornelius area had the same problem or found a solution?

A related question. Has anyone in the Cornelius area been able to receive the DTV signal from the ABC station in Asheville. The Asheville antenna is on a mountain top at over 6000 feet.

Derek
post #817 of 8240 Old 03-23-2006, 08:36 AM

I am willing to give this a try - it is an indoor unit?

I am having success with the Radio Shack unit - just not consistent.
post #818 of 8240 Old 03-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
What is a good UHF only amplifier?

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #819 of 8240 Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 PM

I think the 7775 is the UHF-only version, but I'd stick with the 7777 just in case, I think it's only $10 or $20 more.
post #820 of 8240 Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktaylor View Post

I purchased the Channel MAster 7777 and installed it yesterday. My signal is not 95-100% on all of the big 4, and I even get the WB in with no dropouts now(not that I ever watch the WB)
I was skeptical at first, but now I'm glad I got it, and it wasn't even as expensive as I thought it would be, only around 50 bucks.
A good amplifier might work for you too.

Where did you buy at? Local?

SolidSignal has them for 56 + Shipping.

post #821 of 8240 Old 03-25-2006, 05:43 AM

I got it from Solid Signal. Pretty quick shipping.

post #822 of 8240 Old 03-25-2006, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekH View Post

... I am using two high gain antennas ...

Derek, You know 1 + 1 can equal zero if you take two of the same antenna and point them in opposite directions on a single downlead. Do you have two downleads? If not how are you connecting the two? I would try using a single antenna to see if you have a signal that is getting zapped by the second antenna.

--Dale--
post #823 of 8240 Old 03-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about HD locals from D* in the Charlotte market. I was told several months ago, that they would be available in April, but I haven't heard anything more from D*. Anyone got any info? Thanks!
post #824 of 8240 Old 03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
No firm date yet, based on what my contact at D tells me..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #825 of 8240 Old 03-29-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have Charter HD out of Hickory. I also have a Radio Shack Yagi style UHF antenna in my attic. The NCAA tournament games from WBTV were awful! Lots of pixel breakup and sometimes the players looked like they were surrounded by a film of water. Coaches had some serious clay face effects too. My OTA was better than my cable, but not by much. To compare, the ESPN HD womens' NCAA games are perfect.

Are there any known issues with Charlotte's CBS HD sports broadcasts?
post #826 of 8240 Old 03-30-2006, 06:26 AM

I saw where the Charlotte area was scheduled for local HD on DTV in April. Are they charging for this or is it a freebie. If it is free, cool, else, I may have to upgrade to better antennae.
post #827 of 8240 Old 03-30-2006, 11:18 AM

It will only be the Big 4 - but it should be at no additional charge.
post #828 of 8240 Old 03-31-2006, 05:39 AM

But will you need the new MPEG4 box to view the HD channels, or are they switching the regular local channels that they feed now to HD?
post #829 of 8240 Old 04-01-2006, 07:05 AM

D* will continue to feed locals as usual. However, if you want to pick up the HD feed, you will need the new MPEG4 receiver. It's April 1, and still no info on this change for our area.
post #830 of 8240 Old 04-02-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I am in Hickory, which is north and a little west of Charlotte. I am still trying to tweak my Radio Shack antenna in the attic to get the best combination of digital and HD channels. I can get Fox HD but not WSOC (although I get a snowy VHF WSOC and WLOS signals with my UHF only antenna). The Radio Shack guy said that there is more building interference with WSOC than Fox, despite the close proximity of the towers.

My question: If I can get HD on Fox and snowy SD on WSOC, do you think a pre-amp would make a difference? I have heard that a pre-amp will only improve a signal you can already get without the amp. But it looks like I am so close to getting all of my local HD channels.
post #831 of 8240 Old 04-03-2006, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

The Radio Shack guy said that there is more building interference with WSOC than Fox, despite the close proximity of the towers.

The towers are less than a mile apart..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #832 of 8240 Old 04-03-2006, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Radio Shack guy said...

You have questions....they have no idea....

t123
post #833 of 8240 Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post

You have questions....they have no idea....

t123

Yep..besides, HDTV has NOTHING to do with Cell Phones..

Bob

post #834 of 8240 Old 04-03-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I am in Hickory, which is north and a little west of Charlotte. I am still trying to tweak my Radio Shack antenna in the attic to get the best combination of digital and HD channels. I can get Fox HD but not WSOC (although I get a snowy VHF WSOC and WLOS signals with my UHF only antenna). The Radio Shack guy said that there is more building interference with WSOC than Fox, despite the close proximity of the towers.

My question: If I can get HD on Fox and snowy SD on WSOC, do you think a pre-amp would make a difference? I have heard that a pre-amp will only improve a signal you can already get without the amp. But it looks like I am so close to getting all of my local HD channels.

Yes, an amp can help. If you have no signal at all, then it probably won't do much - but you can have low signal strength that results in no picture or sound at all. In those cases, it is possible that the boost in signal will be the difference between no picture and flawless HD reception.

I have been having problems with WB/UPN reception for about 3 or 4 months. Checked my antenna connections, tweaked my rotor settings, worked with the enigineer at WB55 - no luck. Recently, my FOX and CBS became spotty unless rotor was set for one or the other - then it dawned on me to check the power to the amp. Plug came loose from an extension cord in the attic. Now everything is 100%. Aside from showing what a bonehead you can be when you overlook the simple explanations and over-think the situation - the point is that the amp made the difference between a signal strength of about 25-30 and "0%" picture and sound and boosted it to a signal strength of 92 and "100%" HDTV.
post #835 of 8240 Old 04-03-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Aside from showing what a bonehead you can be when you overlook the simple explanations and over-think the situation .

I should just pass on this one..

Bob

post #836 of 8240 Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Yes, an amp can help. If you have no signal at all, then it probably won't do much - but you can have low signal strength that results in no picture or sound at all. In those cases, it is possible that the boost in signal will be the difference between no picture and flawless HD reception.

I have been having problems with WB/UPN reception for about 3 or 4 months. Checked my antenna connections, tweaked my rotor settings, worked with the enigineer at WB55 - no luck. Recently, my FOX and CBS became spotty unless rotor was set for one or the other - then it dawned on me to check the power to the amp. Plug came loose from an extension cord in the attic. Now everything is 100%. Aside from showing what a bonehead you can be when you overlook the simple explanations and over-think the situation - the point is that the amp made the difference between a signal strength of about 25-30 and "0%" picture and sound and boosted it to a signal strength of 92 and "100%" HDTV.

I suppose the level of the signal strength will vary with the device that measures it. Connected to the media receiver of my Pioneer 5060, if I get a signal strength of 8-15, the picture will be perfect. A signal strength of 3 is watchable. I actually was able to watch a pixel filled Fox broadcast with a "0" signal!

I have ordered a Channel Master 7777 via the net. Code doesn't require an attic mounted antenna to be grounded, but the pre-amp would ground the antenna to the house ground at the power inducer.

According to one web source, Fox and ABC are at 142 degrees and NBC and CBS are at 169 degrees. That's a pretty big span for a directional antenna. Once I have the pre-amp, I am going to cheat quite a bit toward Fox and ABC and hope to still hang onto the CBS and NBC signals. I wonder whether a second Radio Shack Yagi with a coupler would do the trick? I seriously doubt that a multi-directional antenna would pick everything up at my distance (without moving it outside, and possibly not even then).
post #837 of 8240 Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 PM

Very strange - I am getting great video and the music soundtrack to Criminal Minds, but no voices. Anybody else experiencing this?
post #838 of 8240 Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneshome View Post

Very strange - I am getting great video and the music soundtrack to Criminal Minds, but no voices. Anybody else experiencing this?

Sounds like you're listening to the alternate audio source, or your center speaker isn't working

post #839 of 8240 Old 04-20-2006, 03:04 AM

It's not my speaker or the alternate audio source - my other OTA locals are coming in just fine.
post #840 of 8240 Old 04-20-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneshome View Post

It's not my speaker or the alternate audio source - my other OTA locals are coming in just fine.

I've seen that kind of thing
before. Somebody screwed-up is all.

--Dale--
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page