post #8371 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
What does "relay station KJA50" mean specifically?
That was/is referring to the 7 ghz microwave link from the studio to the transmitter. It may still be the same call sign ,
which I have not looked up.

When I first started in Tv, WBTV's transmitter was still on Spencer Mountain. We signed off and turned the transmitter off as you say for sign off. I did that many a night. Later on, WBTV and others started staying on air overnight with bars and tone as the transmitters were much happier as the tubes did not get cold..and required less maintenance that way. Then overnight programming quickly became the norm. I was part of dismantling the Spencer Mountain transmitter after the new Tall Tower was put on air. I recall boxes and boxes of light bulbs that remained from when the Spencer Mountain tower was lit as a Christmas tree as I was growing up. What a feeling....

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 08-10-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you everyone for your response. Guess I'll stick with Netflix, Acorn and Amazon Prime for my entertainment needs. Not much for chick flix but the hope of a good western or mystery channel was intriguing.
post #8373 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yea, of course we engineers know that....
Good lord. We engineers...? LOL

A real "engineer" would answer "why" they are licensed at this power, instead of giving such as circular and pointless answer. Then again, they would also not jump in unless they had the real answer instead of trying to belittle those for not knowing and daring to ask why.

Maybe the person who does know might answer.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-10-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #8374 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
... not jump in unless they had the real answer instead of trying to belittle those for not knowing and daring to ask why...Maybe the person who does know might answer.
You have no room to speak in that arena.. I certainly don't have to go back and quote your multiple posts in that regard. After the comments you have made towards WAXN (and other local broadcasters) you should be glad that Ted (and others) will even consider answering you. Spend a little time and research on public info that is consolidated on www.rabbitears.info will answer your question.
eacalhoun likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8375 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
WSOC-TV has a license to operate at 1000 KW ERP while WAXN-TV has a license to operate at 150 KW ERP. Rules are rules.

Check123
I believe WAXN may be restricted to lower power to reduce interference with WFMY in Greensboro, but I am not sure about that.
post #8376 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob- You would be deeply saddened to visit the site today. It is but a former shell of a vibrant life that once existed. I go to the site almost weekly for this or that and all parts of the building are in extremely poor shape. Not a fault of the station; it's simply a very old building and it is what it is. Vandalism has since taken over and the site was forced to be secured by alarm. The tower "stub" is still as strong as the first day it was installed and will likely outlive all of us. These days, I help keep what few 'bulbs' remain burning up top. I wish I could have had a better opportunity back in the day to admire the big RCA...

-Steve

When I first started in Tv, WBTV's transmitter was still on Spencer Mountain. I was part of dismantling the Spencer Mountain transmitter after the new Tall Tower was put on air. I recall boxes and boxes of light bulbs that remained from when the Spencer Mountain tower was lit as a Christmas tree as I was growing up. What a feeling....[/QUOTE]
post #8377 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Steve, I have heard that from others. Years ago we had a local Sheriff's Deputy who lived up there for an attractive rate as part of security. You may remember that, it was eliminated by subsequent owners. I vividly remember the awe I had of the RCA transmitter I watched growing up on my first visit up there..that and the fear of the oncoming thunderstorm directly south of the tower at the time.

Bob

post #8378 of 8826 Old 08-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
A real "engineer" would answer "why" they are licensed at this power, instead of giving such as circular and pointless answer. Then again, they would also not jump in unless they had the real answer instead of trying to belittle those for not knowing and daring to ask why.

Maybe the person who does know might answer.
Okay...Truth is I am a radio guy not a TV guy. Nobody knows all of the rules. I only concern myself with the ones the effect me. I am not up to speed on the rules concerning TV channel allocations.

I suspect when the commission allocated Digital TV stations they did so with a comparable signal to the Analog station. The original Channel 64 was not a full power station. It was upgraded over time after Cox took the station over from Garland Faw but it did not have the same coverage area that WSOC-TV had. He is short spaced in and does have to protect WFMY-TV in Greensboro who is also on RF Channel 50 (as tylerSC noted). He is running a directional antenna with a null in the direction of Greensboro.

I know this for a fact. If the FCC would allow WAXN-TV to operate at 1 MW non-directional Cox has plenty of where with all to do it. I am sure they retain attorneys in DC that know all of the FCC rules inside out and would know if Cox would be allowed an upgrade or not.

As Bobby points out the fellow who knows the most about WAXN-TV is Ted Hand. I would consider him a real engineer. If he chooses to respond that is completely up to him.

FCC rules are available to anyone with access to the Internet. You are welcome to go to FCC.gov and look them over. You might learn some things. You could call the nearest FCC Field Office if you like. They are in Norfolk. (757) 546-0896. I am sure they would be glad to hear from you.

t123
post #8379 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Okay...Truth is I am a radio guy not a TV guy. Nobody knows all of the rules. I only concern myself with the ones the effect me. I am not up to speed on the rules concerning TV channel allocations.

I suspect when the commission allocated Digital TV stations they did so with a comparable signal to the Analog station. The original Channel 64 was not a full power station. It was upgraded over time after Cox took the station over from Garland Faw but it did not have the same coverage area that WSOC-TV had. He is short spaced in and does have to protect WFMY-TV in Greensboro who is also on RF Channel 50 (as tylerSC noted). He is running a directional antenna with a null in the direction of Greensboro.

I know this for a fact. If the FCC would allow WAXN-TV to operate at 1 MW non-directional Cox has plenty of where with all to do it. I am sure they retain attorneys in DC that know all of the FCC rules inside out and would know if Cox would be allowed an upgrade or not.

As Bobby points out the fellow who knows the most about WAXN-TV is Ted Hand. I would consider him a real engineer. If he chooses to respond that is completely up to him.
I appreciate hearing about the real history behind of "why" they don't have a license to operate at full power and thus, don't cover the entire DMA. Taylorsville really isn't that far from Charlotte. I figured it was something like this because a few helpful people above did the mention co-channel interference. Of course it is always up to the business and for those technicians worried about the cable vaults, I assume, are not usually included in those decisions.

It doesn't matter to me if you are a TV person or not, what your real name might be. whether you are a NC state licensed engineer or not, so no need to make apologies. (and some will call themselves engineers who aren't anyway)

For someone wanting to put up an antenna to receive these stations, the qualifications really don't help get a picture on the TV, if they are not willing to really help.

Thanks again.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-11-2014 at 01:48 AM.
post #8380 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Seems to be a question of why I haven't responded to post concerning WAXN. I was a pallbearer at an uncle funeral this weekend and that seem more important than this forum.

That being said, Check123 is correct on WAXN. In the '90s, WAXN (WZDH at the time) was what is known as a "drop-in" allocation. It was never close to a full power as an analog. With ATSC, DTV coverage could only match former analog coverage. WAXN does that. COX tried many times to increase power but was deny. The 150 KW is most than the station can be license. As stated, there is sharp null toward WFMY's tower in Randleman to protect channel 51. COX has spend over half million dollars on translators trying to correct the problem. Did we completely correct it? No, we didn't. If the FCC would have let me put in more translators, I would have

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #8381 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear about your loss and thanks for the helpful information. It's exactly the sort of thing that people like to hear, when contemplating an antenna for reception. It clears up for me why there is such a difference in what I see here in Huntersville between that station and the others in that direction.

The addition of getTV to WAXN was a nice addition, and I'm making some change to my antenna to receive this station better. Now that I know it won't ever get any stronger, I'm going to do some reconsideration.
post #8382 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Since your station has the rights to both ME-TV and Andy Griffith, do you know yet whether you'll carry Andy on ME-TV or substitute the R.F.D feed?
We will indeed air "The Andy Griffith Show" this Fall on MeTV (not "Mayberry RFD").

Bob

post #8383 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
I support the American Television Alliance, not the NAB!
Then I hope you like watching snow because AAA is the cable companies and they don't really provide much content to watch, unlike the TV stations.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #8384 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
We will indeed air "The Andy Griffith Show" this Fall on MeTV (not "Mayberry RFD").
Doesn't this mean you could (if you wanted to) run The Andy Griffith Show on both 18.1 and 18.3, since WCCB owns (or has recently owned) the local syndication rights to the show? MeTV's rights are on the national level. When AntennaTV was on 46.2, its nightly hour of Sanford and Son often aired at the same time that Sanford and Son was on WMYT 55.1 at 10:30 PM (at which time it still airs). Seems to indicate that local syndication rights and national syndication rights are strictly apples-to-apples, and not apples-to-oranges. In other words, MeTV and AntennaTV can't both run a show, just like WCCB and WJZY can't both run a show. But either MeTV or AntennaTV <and> either WCCB or WJZY could both run the show in the same market.
post #8385 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

We no longer run it on WCCB, and programming tells me that we could not air on both unless it would be at the same time.
However the episodes will still be here as they will be airing on WOLO.

Bob

post #8386 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM

I believe you, but it doesn't make sense to me. WOLO is in another market. Unless they had also bought the rights to it over their competitor stations, how could WCCB's episodes air there?
post #8387 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
As I say Retransmission Consent is a
Quote:
CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT in recent years. As you may know WBTV's owners (Raycom Media) is threatening to pull the plug to DirecTV subscribers (and other markets that have Raycom stations like WIS in Columbia, WCSC in Charleston, and WTOC in Savannah for example) after first of September if they don't get the so-called ransom.

I support the American Television Alliance, not the NAB!

The Raycom Stations in my area are notably cheap, WOIO was hellbent on retaining the VHF 10 allocation to keep the power down & not returning to UHF. As I live North east of the Antenna farm here in the summer, CFPL nulls out WOIO…. The rules are a bit different living on the Canadian border & the FCC protects Canada. There is also a Ridge to overcome between me & the farm, the lower power & low antenna height stations do not make it over the ridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRG View Post
Thanks for the response. Not sure I can get away with mounting outside in this neighborhood. There are restrictions. In the attic, it will be pointing to the wall, not the shingles, if that helps. If I go outside, I would need something that doesn't have a horizontal boom.

I feel your pain….

I’m in a Condo/Cluster home. Memorial Day Sunday around 9pm my main set running off the common antenna went out, now my feed runs through 3 other units, so something happened between the antenna & my set. My HOA management, first said they were unaware of the common antenna (which they repaired in 2006) then told me to ‘get cable like everyone else’.
Per the OTArd rule that is mentioned the only way the HOA can deny your own outdoor antenna is to provide a reasonable common antenna (which my HOA had done… in fact I had it written in my agreement when I purchased the place 16 years back that it was fully operational). I’m running my main set on rabbit ears (2 channels) & my upstairs runs on my attic system (22 Channels), I got 30 on the outdoor, but right now I’d, still want to put up my own antenna to spite my HOA & their attitude on OTA TV.
Our ESCAPE Affiliate lit up the 61.4 sub over the weekend with a splash screen. Escape & Grit are affiliated With Univision, however the other Raycom Station will be picking up Grit.
post #8388 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I believe you, but it doesn't make sense to me. WOLO is in another market. Unless they had also bought the rights to it over their competitor stations, how could WCCB's episodes air there?
Easy..WOLO originates from WCCB. But it doesn't start until January.

Bob

post #8389 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM

I am still unclear on why another Columbia station could not have bought the rights to the show in that market, which would seem to mean that WOLO, as a market-competitor station, could not run it.

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 08-11-2014 at 10:46 AM.
post #8390 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

When a station buys a program, it's not permanently. It's for a certain number of episodes (i.e. years 1 and 2), and a number of runs per episode, over a set period of time. WLTX owns Andy until 12/31; where it has not been airing with regularity. Then WOLO has rights for the next five years. When WCCB bought Andy, we had to library the episodes. We have a shelf full of commercial blu-ray discs of the shows. We just kept those for this purpose so we did not have to recreate the library.

Bob

post #8391 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM

That makes sense. I am assuming WOLO still had to acquire the rights starting in 2015, because there would be nothing stop another Columbia station from buying it, given that WLTX's rights stop at the end of the year. It was really "rights" that I was asking about, not the physical disks that are used to broadcast the show. It would seem that WCCB doesn't plan (at least, not at the moment) to broadcast whatever (if any) episodes they have left before their rights run out.
post #8392 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Different question - What time can we expect AntennaTV to start on Friday? Midnight? Mid-morning? Does the carriage agreement include a specific time of day that you will "throw the switch"?
post #8393 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

AntennaTv will commence at 7:30 am on WCCB-AT 18.2

Bob

post #8394 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks Bob,

for the information about Andy Griffith show on METV on WCCB
post #8395 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AntennaTv will commence at 7:30 am on WCCB-AT 18.2
Scheduling information is already showing up in my DVR. I guess people better stock up on that Klondike Gold while they still can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 08112014 - 04:46:17 PM.png
Views:	13
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	207953  

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-11-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #8396 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Scheduling information is already showing up in my DVR. I guess people better stock up on that Klondike Gold while they still can.
Thanks, I have not had time to look at the XML file in the daily PSIP push to confirm it is actually getting to us, tho we "published" the schedule to MediaStar early last week.

Bob

post #8397 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Speaking of the on-screen schedules, why do we sometimes have information, and sometimes not? I have purely OTA TV, so mine has to come from the stations. At times, the 11:30 Perry Mason episode on MeTV will have the description, and at other times it says "No Info".

Also, my Channelmaster DVR and 18.3 don't get along at all when it comes to captions. The captions that appear are very limited, come in either way ahead or way behind the corresponding dialogue, and fly off the screeen very quickly. Something is terribly wrong there. But no other channel has this problem on my DVR. Conversely, 18.3 has consistent, readible captions on my other equipment. It is only one channel on one device, that has this issue.
post #8398 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Quote:
We no longer run it on WCCB, and programming tells me that we could not air on both unless it would be at the same time.
However the episodes will still be here as they will be airing on WOLO.
Thanks for checking into that. It has been a hectic summer for me, I honestly hadn't noticed that WCCB had quit airing Andy. If I had I would've known my original question was a moot point.

I guess you also answered my question about WSPA as well. Since they air Andy Griffith on WASV at a different time I'm betting we will get "Mayberry R.F.D" on ME-TV 7.2 here in the Upstate of S.C. That is what I was really hoping for anyway.
post #8399 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also, my Channelmaster DVR and 18.3 don't get along at all when it comes to captions. The captions that appear are very limited, come in either way ahead or way behind the corresponding dialogue, and fly off the screeen very quickly. Something is terribly wrong there. But no other channel has this problem on my DVR. Conversely, 18.3 has consistent, readible captions on my other equipment. It is only one channel on one device, that has this issue.
I made additional encoder changes earlier today. See if it is any better now and let me know.

Bob

post #8400 of 8826 Old 08-11-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Likewise now getting schedule for Escape TV. Right now there is a test pattern on there that could be used to torture someone if you tied them down in a chair in front of it and turned the sound up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 08112014 - 05:58:22 PM.png
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	208105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 08112014 - 06:05:32 PM.png
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	208121  

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-11-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page